TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

This is what amusement ride accidents says...

Amusement park log flume ride derails

[July 29, 2018] A boat on a log flume water ride became lodged in a trough wall with 13 passengers on board at around 8pm at Kentucky Kingdom. The boat on the Mile High Falls descended its drop and overshot a partially broken guide rail, becoming stuck at approximately a 20-degree angle.

All 13 passengers were evacuated by park employees, five seeking treatment at Kentucky Kingdom for evaluation. One declined treatment, two were treated for minor injuries and two requested transport to a local hospital, the park said.

State ride inspectors and Kentucky Kingdom's maintenance staff are investigating and the ride will remain closed until the investigation and repair is complete.

Amusement Ride Accidents

I have heard rumors that this ride was on it's way out shortly, I wonder if this will seal the deal? Glad nobody was seriously injured as far as we know.

FB_IMG_1533132738089.thumb.jpg.3170cdcbafeba4cd9f7f991ae9041613.jpg

It would make me sad of they got rid of Mile High Falls. I loved it and it absolutely drenched me! Plus they would only have one water ride if they were to get rid of it. I just think it fits so well in that area of the park. Though if they were to get rid of it, I'd love to see an RMC raptor or a Gerstlauer Infinity in its place.

I didn't ride it, but I found the constant clanging of the lift kind of a kink in the peaceful well kept area around it. Not a huge complaint. I wonder how long it's going to be before Splash Boat rides really start dropping like flies.

Not that I want to see the ride removed, but it does occupy a fairly large chunk of land. Storm runner is the only big draw in the area, and that part of the park could use some more atteactions. It was kinda like a ghost town walking thru that area on the way to storm runner.

I'm not really that familiar with the size of crowds the water ride pulls in, but it was either closed or nobody was riding it when I was there last.

I'd see hot and/or muggy days pull pretty hefty or near-full lines on it. It's been open pretty consistently this summer (or at least on days I've gone), though I noticed the entire back area of the park is now seeing purposefully delayed opening due to crowds not reaching those areas early enough in the day.

I do agree that the back corner area could use more spice to liven it up and entice people to go back there and stay back there longer. Storm Chaser has a really good draw, but not the biggest of all the roller coasters since it's in its own area kind-of alone.

Quick question...

We were thinking of hitting the park in the next week or so, and looking at the parks schedule it looks as if the state fair is also going on.

How does this effect the park? Is it busier than normal? Is it a good idea to delay our trip another week or 2?

The crowds in KK usually don't change during fair times.

Just keep in mind you'll be paying for fair admission on top of park admission since they're basically connected, but KK usually lowers its entry price during these times to make up for that. Fair admission/parking is discounted for now ($12) if you go through the website now until Wednesday, after which it'll be $18: https://kystatefair.org/tickets

This also includes discounted unlimited ride wristbands for the fair rides if you decide to stick around in the fair as well.

Just bought my fair tickets for Thursday, so here's how it breaks down, including all taxes and fees:

Fair admission and parking - $15.40

Fair midway wristband - $22.50

Kentucky Kingdom ticket - $20.14

Total - $58.04

KK is only open 4pm to 9pm on fair weekdays, but the fair is 9am to midnight. I can't find when the rides open, but most fairs are noon or 1pm, so I'd expect that here.

I'm excited; never been to the KY state fair before. I had a friend in college who was from Kentucky and spoke highly of it. Should be a good time.

Quick question...

We were thinking of hitting the park in the next week or so, and looking at the parks schedule it looks as if the state fair is also going on.

How does this effect the park? Is it busier than normal? Is it a good idea to delay our trip another week or 2?

I was there last year on a Saturday during the KY state fair and it was completely dead.

Quick question...

School starts here tomorrow so the best times to go would be during the week while school is in session.

• 3 weeks later...

So I just wanted to report back today from my first experience at KK, (and my first RMC/Chance!)

A little background: being from Florida I've always been a little spoiled with theme parks. My first coaster was Dueling Dragons: Fire, and I've been blessed with the opportunities I've had being raised around such wonderful parks like Disney, USO/IoA, Busch Gardens. I was excited to try out a former Six Flags park (as I've never been to a SF either.) I had experienced Elitch Garden's in Denver which didn't leave me yearning for much from today, and with that in mind I was pleasantly surprised at todays trip! We went for a company black out date which helped a lot with the lines, and even though the weather was raining, it wasn't enough to close the rides down, but just enough to get people out of the lines for re-rides! The park was pretty much spotless, and had a lot of rides for different ages!

With the weather threatening to close the rides down I pretty much only did the two star attractions that I'd read so much about. In the span of a couple of hours I did Storm Chaser three times, and Lightning Run twice! Let me tell you what, I was expecting an amazing ride, and it exceeded those expectations on both!

Storm Chaser:

I was extremely excited to try out my first RMC and have read about people putting this ride well into their top 10's and now I really see why! That thing just did NOT let up! Start to finish I was holding on for my life. Reading reviews on this thing I thought it was going to be overhyped but it really exceeded my expectations! The ejector airtime is phenomenal, the twists and turns are just insane! I couldn't tell what side was up at certain points! Riding it in the rain added to the fun as well, if you ever get the chance I'd definitely recommend it! It's just such a wild ride! I can't wait to see what else RMC does in the future!

Lightning Run:

I knew Lightning Run got rave reviews, and people praised it, but walking up I thought it looked kind of "tame." This ride is so far from it, and I ate my words. Just like Storm Chaser, this ride just doesn't let up till you've hit the brakes! Those last 3 hills had me clutching my pearls! There was a crazy moment where I couldn't even tell where we were going. Definitely a wonderful addition to this park, and definitely in my top 10!

ADDENDUM:

The only issue I have with the ride is with the riders more than the coaster itself. I'm a big guy, and I won't lie, I had to get a little extra shove into Storm Chaser today to get it to "click." Lightning Run seems to have issues with bigger riders, and people having to do the walk of shame, slowing down load times. I'll admit though, those trains are pretty tailored to a certain size. I'm 6'2 and my belly wasn't so much the issue as my leg length/thickness was. Unfortunately it slowed the load times down quite significantly, the coaster would complete it's course and sit on the brakes for a while before the next one would move out. It's rather dubious as some of the people I saw get off were even smaller framed than I was. I was legitimately concerned I wouldn't fit for the first time on a coaster, and today was definitely a "lose weight" wake-up call.

--

Unfortunately I didn't do anything past those two coasters as it had rained (it's okay though I really was there for the two star attractions,) but we did get to try some food at the Bayou Cafe, and picked up some pretzels, and funnel cakes later in the day. Pretty average park going food, nothing to rave about. My only qualm is more or less the fact that a pizza cost 30 dollars (20 for season passholders,) and it definitely wasn't worth the price. Though I wasn't expecting much out of the food here in the first place, it just really missed the mark for my friends and I with that cost.

The park itself has a weird set-up and took me a minute to realize how to get the back half with Storm Chaser and Hurricane Bay. I wish I'd had more time there, but fortunately with the rain we were able to keep our extra tickets to come back another weekend before they close for the season at the end of September. So if anyone is interested in going, I'd love to meet up with some fellow enthusiasts and I'd be happy to get you in! Definitely a fun place, and I can't wait to discover more about it! Those two coasters definitely draw me there enough as is, but I'm super excited to check out Hurricane Bay as well!

Any who, enough text, onto the photos!

LightningRunBrakes.png.59dd2785251bf774543d042ea393fac6.png

I cannot get over how photogenic this ride is!

LightningRunTrackwithTrain.jpg.646572454b7b21b33f51f1b805b8f167.jpg

Seriously, look at how beautiful that is!

LightningRunTrackwithTrain2.jpg.768e7f9891dafc3c0ff6a79e5230dda3.jpg

You can get so close to the track for photos too! Such a great ride!

StormChaserStation.png.e4ca6dd8677ff4baecd7ec841f661fe6.png

There was quite literally no one in line!

StormChaserTrack.jpg.dba5f3210e54d8200348ce890a97eeaa.jpg

Twisty, metal, madness!

StormChaserFromExit.png.510c7a5b7ad5ea6c8653e674679293e2.png

Again, such a beautiful ride to photograph!

StormChaserSelfie.thumb.jpg.250994836723a8cdb87419cd9d095faa.jpg

I couldn't stop smiling after I got off! I just ran back to the entrance for more!

ThunderRun-Vertical.thumb.jpg.0e71ee69336b9047ef339ab944e1968c.jpg

I didn't get to ride Thunder Run, I don't have the best back, so I typically avoid wooden coasters.

BigAssFerrisWheel.jpg.c57e893db0663ee9990d4ae2aa0b0aa6.jpg

I don't even know if the Ferris Wheel runs. I didn't see it move much today.