TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

I'm planning a visit for the weekend after the covered bridge festival and I am beyond excited. Never been. Planning to spend a full day there on 10/13 with my 11 year old nephew, 13 year old cousin, and uncle. Can't wait to ride Phoenix!

Has anybody gone for Hallo-Fun before? Are there certain rides that aren't typically open?

I have been for Hallo-Fun. All of the coasters were open and select other rides. They also brought in a temp flat for in front of Phoenix for the kiddos.

I went to the park this past Saturday, this was my first visit in about 5 years. I would love to start with how unbelievable this park is. I went to Six Flags Great Adventure the Wednesday before as well as Six Flags America the Thursday before and I had the best time at Knoebels out of all of them. My BF had never been to Knoebels before this visit and I explained to him this park is not like the Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks he has been to and that this park is more about the experience. Once he took one ride on Phoenix I could not keep him off. We were nervous with the crowds but we waited no longer than about 20 minutes - with the longest wait being about 20 min for Flying Turns. Both Twister and Phoenix operations were AMAZING - they were dispatching trains well before the previous train even reached the brake run. Twister was dispatching when the train was in the second helix and Phoenix was dispatching when the train came to the last air time hills. We both prefer the drop ride here to Zumanjaro at Great Adventure - we rode it every time we talked by it. The only ride that was down I really wanted to ride was the sky lift.

Those awards are crap but Phoenix is great. I have no issue with anyone declaring it the best wood coaster.

It is kind of wild when you think about it and realize that Mystic Timbers won "Best New Ride" over the unprecedented Flight of Passage. "Yeah flying on the dragon things from Avatar sure is a breathtaking and amazing experience but have you ever ridden a GCI wooden coaster?"

So I was digging around on the internet when I came across this:

After searching on TPR I found that this video had only ever been posted once before in 2007 on it's own thread which didn't make it past the first page, so I though I'd share it here, because I love the fact that Phoenix has it's own wonderfully 80's* theme song! Not only is it very 80's* and very Knoebles, it's also quite catchy (I even added it to my music playlist). It's also cool to get a look at the park from decades ago.

*Okay I'm not actually sure when the song was written, and I'm not 100% sure which decade it's from, I'm just guessing 80's based on the fact that it sounds super 80's imo

Those awards are crap but Phoenix is great. I have no issue with anyone declaring it the best wood coaster.

I was telling my wife that the Wolverine Wildcat is a copy of the Phoenix. And that the Phoenix was just voted the best wooden roller coaster. Her response was then why is the Wildcat so awful

• 3 weeks later...
Headed to the park next Sunday. Anyone know of good apple picking/corn maze headed east from the park? We’re planning on having a late afternoon/evening in Jim Thorpe, PA Sunday night.

Apple picking

Corn mazes

Not sure what else you might be interested in, but Camelback mountain has a pretty cool mountain coaster and slide, and zip lining.

Camelback Adventures You can ride the mountain coaster and zip line in the dark and be scared by monsters.

Anyone have any input on the crowds for Hallo-Fun Saturdays? I have never been here and kinda want to figure out a gameplan for things that will have long lines. I am guessing I will want to get Flying Turns, Impulse, and Haunted Mansion out of the way as early as I can. Also the haunted antique cars once they open. Will it be possible to marathon Phoenix as I would like to do that!

Went to the park today with my family and had a great time even with Phoenix running one train. The rides were great as always and we really enjoyed the Halloween decorations. My daughter who is only 4 almost 5 loved the wooden coasters and even liked Twister a little more than Phoenix (may have to disown her).

To be honest Twister was running great, a little rough at times but really hauled, and Phoenix was Phoenix, just a great ride. It was my first time on flying turns and it wasn't bad but pretty short for the long wait. Certainly a unique experience though. I also ride Impulse for the first time and man was it awesome, it's a tad shirt but packs a ton into a compact layout and has a really good first drop. More parks should invest in in these rides especially smaller to medium sized parks.

The park overall was fantastic as always and I love how cheap everything is compared to other parks. Not many places you can get a shirt for $10 and not be a clearance item. My daughter loved every minute of it and was an instant fan of the coasters, another reason Knoebels is so great. Not many parks have such big coasters with a 42" height limit, so she was getting her first real taste of major coasters. Yet she still loves the simple joys of the kiddie rides and making friends while waiting in line. Can't wait to go back, hopefully it won't be too long.

So it's raining a lot today in PA.........should I be concerned about the possibility of Knoebels flooding or does it take an insane amount of rain for that to happen???

I live 15 minutes from the park...haven’t seen any flood watches or anything of the sort. We haven’t had much rain recently.

So it's raining a lot today in PA.........should I be concerned about the possibility of Knoebels flooding or does it take an insane amount of rain for that to happen???

I live 15 minutes from the park...haven’t seen any flood watches or anything of the sort. We haven’t had much rain recently.

I just saw on accuweather that there was a flood advisory in Elysburg. But I'm guessing an inch of rain isn't going to shut down Knoebels for a week.