TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

The park complains about Twister having low ridership, causing it to be the first ride closed due to staffing, yet wouldn’t this cause it to have even lower ridership? Nobody would want to walk all the way to that dead end just for Tin Lizzie’s and Twister. It just will not work.

When facing staffing issues, almost every park will first pick a low-ridership attraction to close first since obviously there would be less people annoyed it's closed in the first place. The placement of Twister has a lot to do with low ridership, but I'm not sure where you are coming up with your assertion "The park complains about Twister having low ridership." The more drastic short-staffing measure is picking a larger, more popular attraction where minimum staffing requirements are so high that keeping that ride open means shutting down several others. Usually these are water rides with sprawling layouts.

Lastly, this time of year every seasonal park is hurting for staff. Darien Lake does not need to be overly scrutinized, but then again this is the Darien Lake Discussion Thread where logic is left at the door and dead horses are beaten to a pulp. Why did I even waste my time writing this.

Two entrances would both have to staffed all day with and I would guess Six Flags considered that. I would suggest one entrance is all that's needed and would be best for the park to manage security in the campground. Maybe a exit only alongside the amphitheater for the convenience of camp goers for after the laser show would work. I would think Six Flags or any management team would most likely go for the simplest most cost effective long term fix for guest security and this is probably the best fit.

There are a lot of full-season campers at Darien Lake who have campfires every night. There is no way that campers are going to want to have to walk all the way over to the amphitheatre to get to the park and then have to walk all the way over to Darien Square and then all the way back around to the campground. It wouldn't work like that. Also, the General Store has never officially been open to the public. Non-campers don't need to buy wood and camping supplies. The full-season campers would not want a lot of non-campers in that store or in that area, tbh. Campers will be happy that area is going to be handed back to campers only.

I’m going to totally refute your statement. I have never camped at DL, but go to the park almost every week. You don’t know just how many times I went to the general store to buy something. Often, I don’t buy food at the park and instead bring a portable propane camp stove and have hot dogs or burgers in a picnic shelter out in the parking lot. There have been countless times I have forgotten a propane tank, hot dog/ burger buns, a lighter, etc. The general store is useful for non campers as well, and allowing non-campers to utilize it is another source of revenue for them. I don’t see why they would want to take that away.

So, correct me if I am wrong. You actually walked through the park with a propane tank and a lighter? Maybe that is another reason security is now required at the campers entrance.

Two entrances would both have to staffed all day with and I would guess Six Flags considered that. I would suggest one entrance is all that's needed and would be best for the park to manage security in the campground. Maybe a exit only alongside the amphitheater for the convenience of camp goers for after the laser show would work. I would think Six Flags or any management team would most likely go for the simplest most cost effective long term fix for guest security and this is probably the best fit.

There are a lot of full-season campers at Darien Lake who have campfires every night. There is no way that campers are going to want to have to walk all the way over to the amphitheatre to get to the park and then have to walk all the way over to Darien Square and then all the way back around to the campground. It wouldn't work like that. Also, the General Store has never officially been open to the public. Non-campers don't need to buy wood and camping supplies. The full-season campers would not want a lot of non-campers in that store or in that area, tbh. Campers will be happy that area is going to be handed back to campers only.

I’m going to totally refute your statement. I have never camped at DL, but go to the park almost every week. You don’t know just how many times I went to the general store to buy something. Often, I don’t buy food at the park and instead bring a portable propane camp stove and have hot dogs or burgers in a picnic shelter out in the parking lot. There have been countless times I have forgotten a propane tank, hot dog/ burger buns, a lighter, etc. The general store is useful for non campers as well, and allowing non-campers to utilize it is another source of revenue for them. I don’t see why they would want to take that away.

So, correct me if I am wrong. You actually walked through the park with a propane tank and a lighter? Maybe that is another reason security is now required at the campers entrance.

Do you seriously take everything and twist it into the opposite viewpoint? That wasn’t the point. The points was that it is useful to non-campers as well.

With Darien Lake closing off Darien Square to non campers, what's going to happen to Tin Lizzys and Motorcoaster? Will they move said rides to another area of the park?

As for Twister, my prediction Twister is going away as well as the Pirate ship and Sleigh Ride.

With Darien Lake closing off Darien Square to non campers, what's going to happen to Tin Lizzys and Motorcoaster? Will they move said rides to another area of the park?

As for Twister, my prediction Twister is going away as well as the Pirate ship and Sleigh Ride.

Tin Lizzie’s isn’t in Darien Square, that can stay as is. Motocoaster on the other hand will need to be re-worked. I say just open up that red gate right next to Moto, just before Darien Square. While they’re at it, they could fix up that old red bridge over the Tin Lizzie’s and open that back up.

As for rides on the way out, I feel Sleigh Ride could be on it’s way out, as it looks very similar to how Raging Seas looked in its final years. Pirate has not opened once all year, and hasn’t swung as high as it used to in years. That could easily be replaced by a newer model, like the one at Seabreeze.

As for Twister, I’m not sure if that rid ewill be going. Although it is commonly closed, and doesn’t have a very great maintenance record, it recently got a mechanical overhaul, which is the one thing that makes me think it might last a bit longer. It wouldn’t make sense for all that time and money to be spent on getting a ride in good condition again just to close it in a year or two.

b3d4cf528432cbef92d28ec71f425c76.jpg

Lololol... as much as I hate this thread sometimes... all the time... sometimes you find the diamond in the rough

That being said, as a kid the General Store was the secret to saving money. You could get a $15 footlong at Subway, or a $6.00 sub at the general store. $3.50 drink in the park, $1.28 icee at the general store. My cheap ass knew my way around back in the day, lol.

I am sure they have a plan for everything if they do close Darien Square off. My guess is that they really want the entrance to MotoCoaster visible inside the park, so maybe they do something with that red bridge to create a queue line by using that and then typing it in with the existing queue.

On the twister topic, I hope it stays, as it is a fun ride. I just think it's the victim of being put in a corner of the park that never truly got developed well. If they move Motocoaster's entrance or added another coaster back there by removing the go karts, you may see an increase in ridership for Twister. Thrill seekers are not walking all the way over there for just one flat ride.

On a different note, I saw that the Flash Sale can get you a Gold Season Pass for $55. Is this my only opportunity to get a Gold Pass at that low of a rate or is it one of those “it’s never really full price and we just call it a sale to get people to buy it” sort of things? I want to ensure free parking (which you need a gold pass for) and want to know if I should buy it during the Flash Sale beginning Thursday or if I could wait until later. I’m just unfamiliar with the way Six Flags does their Season Pass sales.

1) Keep in mind they require you to visit and process by the end of the season (Oct 28?) to get the gold perks. (they say that, but I've on multiple occasions had someone process after the deadline / the following year and still got gold)

2) If you plan on buying a dining pass it is also the cheapest you will get during the sale.

3) If I remember correctly they ALWAYS extend the sale by at least an extra day every year.

The price increases are not substantial after the sale is up but it will go up. However also keep in mind there is usually a buy 2 or buy 4 minimum passes to be able to get the gold upgrade, though, whereas the flash sale you can buy 1 or two passes for the discounted rate and still get gold.

Hope that helps. That's just based on previous years at other Six Flags parks, Darien Lake might be different. I have a really bad memory too so don't take everything at face value, lol.

Black Friday they typically do another big sale if I remember correctly where I think you don't need to process until Memorial Day ish the following year for gold perks.

On a different note, I saw that the Flash Sale can get you a Gold Season Pass for $55. Is this my only opportunity to get a Gold Pass at that low of a rate or is it one of those “it’s never really full price and we just call it a sale to get people to buy it” sort of things? I want to ensure free parking (which you need a gold pass for) and want to know if I should buy it during the Flash Sale beginning Thursday or if I could wait until later. I’m just unfamiliar with the way Six Flags does their Season Pass sales.

Don't wait.

You're basically buying a normal season pass, BUT, with a free gold upgrade, so from what I remember the first time you go to the park it's upgraded.

Darien Lake, a new Six Flags Theme Park, and the Coaster Capital of New York, will debut the tallest attraction in the entire state — the all-new Six Flags SkyScreamer. This giant, 242-foot tall swing ride will reign as the region’s new, iconic symbol, beckoning guests from near and far. Six Flags SkyScreamer swings riders round and round at 35 miles per hour, offering breathtaking views of the countryside below. Additionally, Darien Lake will be rebranded Six Flags Darien Lake when it opens next spring.

1811826138_ScreenShot2018-08-30at5_52_57AM.thumb.png.a2769f57cd6b09c11548bad4c0241807.png

756364435_ScreenShot2018-08-30at5_52_40AM.thumb.png.d4b0d71d596b64f54c4d9e74142ff641.png

Edited by robbalvey

One question, why would they use the same name as Marineland's SkyScreamer?

http://www.marinelandcanada.com/attractions/skyscreamer/

Six Flags Darien Lake's new SkyScreamer tower must have to be over 320 feet tall as Marineland's SkyScreamer is 320 feet tall and 450 feet high. This could also be higher than Canada's Wonderland's Windseeker which is 301 feet tall.

Edited by PATTYCAKES

I mean... More than likely, considering it's Six Flags we're talking about here, they just went with a name that they didn't need to copyright, and that's why they added the "Six Flags" onto the front of it, to differentiate the two coasters, since they're essentially in the same general market.

These are one of my favorite flats, so this is a good add for Darien Lake.

There is no question, this is good for Darien Lake, but the name? There are sooo many possibilities but, they wanted to use a name that has been used at Marineland since 2004. People say they want to go on SkyScreamer, they mean the one at Marineland.

Does anyone know how tall this is going to be?

I sent them a message on Facebook messenger and I'll ask in the Six Flags chat later, but for the flash sale the website talks about Platinum, Diamond, Diamond Elite and even gives a comparison but the store only has the season pass and the gold+ membership to purchase. Wondering If this going to be fixed or if they are not offering it yet? I know the perks will be no good until 2019 at SFDL (officially!) but I want to buy it for other parks this weekend and still have Darien Lake as my home park. Might buy a gold pass for the fiancee and a great adventure membership since that will be our first stop. Was hoping to go SFDL though. Oh well.

Oh yeah, and skyscreamer...

"Tallest Thrill Ride in New York" So over 200 I would imagine. Probably around the 230-240 height. (Edit: I just saw the 242 height)

And this is what I mentioned before, everyone... large rides can take a good 2 years to manufacture, so this must have been ordered pretty quickly once the park was signed over and in the hands of Six Flags.

Edited by John Peck