TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

I literally LOL!

I have it on good authority, that all the dinos are being replaced by screens, and they are adding water sprays through the ride. As well, they will add 3D glasses and a

virtual queue, with additional screens. Plus, a new Kong screen, for synergy. Since the Kong attraction(s) feature Dinosaurs.

EDIT: To be clear, this is a joke...

Universal has sent us a press release announcing that Trick ‘r Treat will be coming to Halloween Horror Bights at Universal Studios Florida and Universal Studios Hollywood!

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Beginning September 14, Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood will bring Legendary Pictures’ cult Halloween classic Trick ‘r Treat to life in all-new Halloween Horror Nights mazes that dare guests to live by the rules or suffer the consequences.

Based on the critically-acclaimed and fan-favorite movie, directed by Michael Dougherty, the “Trick ‘r Treat” maze will transport guests to Warren Valley, Ohio on Halloween night to celebrate the holiday’s dark traditions. Recreating some of the anthology’s most iconic scenes, the disturbing new maze invites brave thrill-seekers to become entwined within the secrets of this sleepy suburban town.

Guests will experience some of the film’s most grisly scenes and encounter hauntingly familiar characters. They will meander through Mr. Kreeg’s infamous house, watch as college students viciously transform into bloodthirsty werewolves and dismember the town, as well as come face-to-face with Sam – the spirit of Halloween – who readies to punish those who break the holiday’s tradition.

Universal Studios’ “Halloween Horror Nights” is the ultimate Halloween event. For more than 25 years, guests from around the world have visited “Halloween Horror Nights” in Hollywood and Orlando to become victims inside their own horror film. Multiple movie-quality mazes based on iconic horror television shows, films and original stories come to life season after season. And, the streets of each coast’s event are transformed into highly-themed scare zones where menacing scare-actors lunge from every darkened corner.

Additional details about Universal Studios’ “Halloween Horror Nights” will be revealed soon. Select tickets and vacation packages for Universal Orlando’s Halloween Horror Nights are on sale now. For more information about “Halloween Horror Nights” at either Universal Studios Hollywood or Universal Orlando Resort, visit http://www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com.

545B2D97-DAEE-44E0-81D8-A90509E9AD26.thumb.jpeg.a3827df9687399af2a7d01d81cf5faa1.jpeg

Universal Studios Hollywood has sent us a press release about new experiences and offerings coming to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter!

From the moment guests enter The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™” at Universal Studios Hollywood, they are transported to Hogsmeade village, which this summer will introduce new wand magic experiences, authentic costume replicas, lunchtime menu items and the popular return of “The Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle.”

• With a gentle flick of the wrist and just the right touch, guests can cast spells throughout “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” at dazzling wand magic locations. This summer’s installation of two additional spells ups the tally to 15 thrilling wand magic experiences to practice. The Incendio fire-making spell will conjure flames of varying size based on skill level, and the Alohomora spell will unlock a series of intricate locks that may reveal the fiery breath of a creature hidden behind a secret door.
  • Three Broomsticks expands its lunchtime menu with a selection of traditional British fare, including:
    • Ploughman’s Lunch, featuring an imported selection of ham, salami, country paté, English cheese, homemade pickles and a warm scotch egg served with bread, cranberry chutney and grain mustard
    • Cheese Toastie with Chicken, featuring grilled English Cheddar cheese with chicken, crispy bacon, mustard and sliced tomato topped with a sunny side egg served with a fresh salad or potato wedges
    • Sunday Roast Sandwich served on a freshly baked baguette filled with warm prime rib, caramelized onions, English Cheddar, horseradish sauce and homemade garlic pickles served with fresh salad or potato wedges

[*]Guests can channel their inner wizards at Gladrags Wizardwear with a wide array of apparel inspired by the films. The billowing house robes worn by the students of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and accompanying house uniforms, including hand-loomed cardigans from Scotland, scarves and ties are available for purchase. New to Gladrags Wizardwear this season is a high-end replica of Professor Severus Snape’s robe, as well as a replica of Hermonione’s dress worn at the Yule Ball as seen in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, which is now available in adult and children’s sizes. Other wizard attire includes a replica of the cardigan worn by Neville Longbottom in the Battle of Hogwarts scene in the film series finale. Select attire is available in a variety of sizes from toddler to adult.

[*]Just like the talking mirror in the Harry Potter films, Madam Malkin's Talking Mirror makes quite a reflective entrance this summer, located in the corridor between Dervish and Banges™ and Gladrags Wizardwear. Speaking with an English accent, the Talking Mirror will entertain guests with a variety of complimentary remarks.

[*]“The Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle” returns for a limited time only, beginning Saturday, June 23.

As night falls on Hogsmeade village, “The Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle” shines brightly with an awe-inspiring spectacle that showcases the four houses of Hogwarts: Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Slytherin, and culminates with awesome beams of lights that fan into the night sky. The colorful state-of-the-art light display and special effects projection is accompanied by a special musical arrangement created by Academy® award-winning composer John Williams based on his original scores composed for the film series. The musical arrangement that emanates in a surround sound environment was conducted by prolific arranger William Ross and recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra in London.

• Inspired by J.K. Rowling’s compelling stories and characters that were brought to life in the Warner Bros. films, “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” at Universal Studios Hollywood is a masterful recreation, faithful to the visual landscape of the fiction and films, including as its iconic focal point, Hogwarts castle.

• From its snow-capped roofs and cobblestone streets to the historic British sensibilities that characterize the whimsical look and feel of the land, “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” transports guests of all ages to the very places they watched on the silver screen.

• The architecturally stunning land also includes the captivating and highly acclaimed “Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey” thrill ride, enhanced with 4K-HD and ride film projecting at an astounding rate of 120 frames-per-second for an even more immersive glimpse into Harry Potter’s world, as well as “Flight of the Hippogriff™,” Universal Studios Hollywood’s first outdoor family coaster.

“The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” resonates with immense detail, inviting guests to enjoy authentic food and beverages at multiple locations, including Three Broomsticks and Hog's Head pub, as well as the Magic Neep and Butterbeer carts. A foray through the shops adds to the authenticity of the land with such retail venues as Honeydukes™, Ollivanders™, Owl Post™, Zonko’s™ Joke Shop, Wiseacre's Wizarding Equipment, Dervish and Banges™, Gladrags Wizardwear, Filch’s Emporium™ of Confiscated Goods and the Hogsmeade™ Station.

Additional information on Universal Studios Hollywood is available at http://www.UniversalStudiosHollywood.com. Join the conversation online using #WizardingWorldHollywood. Like Universal Studios Hollywood on Facebook and follow @UniStudios on Instagram and Twitter.

647332127_TheNighttimeLightsatHogwartsCastle_WWoHPatUSH2018.thumb.jpg.8a49ced62fbfea1b68a7e86e32b5aef3.jpg

654321726_TheNighttimeLightsatHogwartsCastle(Hufflepuff)-WWoHPatUSH.thumb.JPG.d4e4cc744e2f24ab223dd235980704ff.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

Been on it many times. Keep your expectations low... at the end of the day, it is another screen attraction. However, I do feel they did the best job they possibly could for a screen-based attraction.

Pros: The building is beautiful, the interior is beautiful, the pre-show is actually one of their better ones (and it's also relatively short), and entering the "spirit world" half way through is honestly quite amazing. And if you didn't know, it's not 3D, which is honestly pretty great. Some of the new chair movements are pretty cool... the gentle rocking of the boat, and vibrations are fun. It's shorter, but that also works to its advantage, being screen based.

Cons: the extended queue in the back is pretty dull, the water effects are hit and miss (on some showings I got pretty well misted, but in most shows recently, I haven't felt at water effects at all), and some of the chair motions are a bit jarring.

But it is certainly much, much better than Shrek ever was. And the potential for getting other movies in there in the future keep this space filled with possibilities.

• 3 weeks later...

Behind every tradition lies a revolution. This year, “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Studios Hollywood bears witness to “The First Purge” with an all-new maze based on Universal Pictures’ all-new thriller that unleashed the country’s inaugural government-sanctioned lawlessness, making all crime legal once a year for 12 hours.

“Halloween Horror Nights” begins on Friday, September 14, 2018.

The First Purge is now in theatres.

Murder, mayhem and pandemonium are alive and well every year as the annual Purge grips the country, suspending all police, fire and emergency services for 12 consecutive hours as law abiding citizens are transformed into anarchists. Inspired by The First Purge—the movement that began as a simple experiment, this terrifying new “Halloween Horror Nights” maze aligns with the film in establishing the motives that launched the country into chaos.

“The First Purge” maze will reimagine the movie’s premise, greeting guests with pure unadulterated fear as it brings to life the turmoil spawned by vigilantes. It will place guests at the heart of a controversial sociological experiment empowered by the New Founding Fathers of America’s (NFFA) desire to purge the nation of all hatred and crime by, ironically, permitting crime to take place as a means of ridding society of all ills.

Guests will be at the mercy of luck and speed as they attempt to outsmart and outlive the anarchy.

"Halloween Horror Nights" at Universal Studios Hollywood brings together the sickest minds in horror to immerse guests in a living, breathing, three-dimensional world of terror. Featuring an all-new slate of unrivaled film production quality mazes, frightful scare zones and a fully re-imagined “Terror Tram” experience uniquely themed to today’s most definitive horror properties, “Halloween Horror Nights” will taunt, terrorize and torment guests with spine-chilling haunted attractions as part of Southern California’s most extreme Halloween experience.

Updates on “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Studios Hollywood are available online at HalloweenHorrorNights.com/Hollywood and on Facebook at “Halloween Horror Nights – Hollywood,” Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter at @HorrorNights as Creative Director John Murdy reveals a running chronicle of exclusive information. Watch videos on Halloween Horror Nights YouTube and join the conversation using #UniversalHHN.

“The Purge” TV series based on the wildly popular franchise will debut on USA Network on September 4, 2018.

First-Purge-HHN-poster-700x875.thumb.jpg.7bc45db69a919acdd3bb3de365799ce6.jpg

purge.thumb.png.3821178b45a9207822a774bd487e74d4.png

Honestly, the purge does nothing for me visually when it comes to HHN. It just slightly modified street clothes in the end.

It seems like an easy theme for them to repeat every year, though. I still haven't seen a single Purge movie, but I feel like I understand the concept just from seeing it at HHN each year — regular civilians in rubber masks yelling "boo" over and over. It's almost as if the entire franchise was cooked up by bean counters.

One of the themes of the franchise is class warfare. The rich "purge" out the lower classes. So I guess that is the Gate A and VIP guests vs. the guests standing in the huge lines?

Honestly, the purge does nothing for me visually when it comes to HHN. It just slightly modified street clothes in the end.

It seems like an easy theme for them to repeat every year, though. I still haven't seen a single Purge movie, but I feel like I understand the concept just from seeing it at HHN each year — regular civilians in rubber masks yelling "boo" over and over. It's almost as if the entire franchise was cooked up by bean counters.

Blumhouse specializes in low budget horror/thrillers that either bomb or make a ton of money.

They are responsible for Paranormal Activity, The Purge, Insidious, and most recently had hits w/ Split & Get Out. But they also had a ton of movies that you never heard of and movies that bombed (Jem & the Holograms...)

For what it is worth, I genuinely believe that is why The Purge (as the basis of scare zones and the Terror Tram) has been so effective for Halloween Horror Nights in the past. Those participating in The Purge blend in with the park guests, as do the "victims," meaning that these spontaneous scares can be done both to the guest and by picking off planted "guests" in the crowd to up the feeling that no one is safe in an environment where you would otherwise know or have to remind yourself that you are safe.

Howl-O-Scream did something similar a few years ago in Tampa where a werewolf-themed scare zone saw hulking beasts run across the plaza, picking off planted "guests" and carrying them off at a running pace into the fog before you could realize what happened. This was one of the most effective and memorable things I've seen done at a horror event and I love that with The Purge, Universal has the ability to pull off these same kind of scares.

Edited by jedimaster1227

• 3 weeks later...
Looking at going to HHN on October 11th, it'll be my first time! I'm looking at the day/night express ticket and wondering if it's likely to sell out? If so, when?

Probably won’t sell out, but I’d definitely still recommend express

Universal Studios Hollywood has sent us a press release announcing another exciting house for this year's Halloween Horror Nights!

They’re Here. Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood will bring guests “into the light” as part of this year’s Halloween Horror Nights events featuring terrifying new mazes inspired by Metro Goldwyn Mayer Pictures’ (MGM) iconic supernatural horror film, Poltergeist, beginning September 14.

Directed by Tobe Hooper and produced by Steven Spielberg, Poltergeist garnered critical and consumer success when it first premiered in 1982. Characterized as one of the scariest films of all time, this groundbreaking movie paved the way for a new era of supernatural ghost stories that will come to life for the first time ever at Universal Studios’ Halloween Horror Nights. This living representation of the film will take guests into some of its most iconic scenes and encounter memorable characters that spawned their first true nightmares.

The mazes will lure guests to the Freeling family house built atop a cemetery where malicious ghosts threaten the lives within. From the underground graveyard to ghostly apparitions, guests will come face to face with infamous scenes from the film including the iconic flickering TV screen, menacing Beast from beyond and pool filled with floating corpses. As guests cross into the ‘light,’ they will find themselves surrounded by a surreal landscape of vanishing walls, floating furniture and a creepy clown with a menacing smile. In a rush against time, guests will be forced to make it back to the world of the living or forever be trapped…

Universal Studios’ Halloween Horror Nights is the ultimate Halloween event. For more than 25 years, guests from around the world have visited Halloween Horror Nights in Hollywood and Orlando to become victims inside their own horror film. Multiple movie-quality mazes based on iconic horror television shows, films and original stories come to life season after season. And, the streets of each coast’s event are transformed into highly-themed scare zones where menacing scare-actors lunge from every darkened corner.

Additional details about Universal Studios’ Halloween Horror Nights will be revealed soon. All tickets and vacation packages are on sale now. For more information about Halloween Horror Nights at either Universal Studios Hollywood or Universal Orlando Resort, visit http://www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.023960bfc4e5838bf9672b710773dd12.jpg

Looking at going to HHN on October 11th, it'll be my first time! I'm looking at the day/night express ticket and wondering if it's likely to sell out? If so, when?

I meant specifically the day/night express passes, do they usually sell out?

Universal Studios Hollywood has sent us a press release announcing the new Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers house coming to Halloween Horror Nights this year!

Beginning on Friday, September 14, Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, from Trancas International Films, takes a stab at Universal Studios’ Halloween Horror Nights, bringing the notorious slasher to Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort in all-new mazes inspired by the iconic horror film.

Based on the fourth installment in the classic slasher series created by John Carpenter, the mazes will transport guests to the suburban town of Haddonfield, Illinois on Halloween night where Myers has escaped Smith’s Grove Sanitarium and is hungry for revenge. This time, he relentlessly stalks his niece Jamie as his next victim, stopping at nothing to kill her.

Guests will follow Myers as he escapes the mental hospital, encounters his first victims at Penney’s Gas Station and Diner, and wreaks terror on Haddonfield, all set to Alan Howarth’s ominous score. The maze will include horrifying scares by Myers in his classic featureless white mask and navy jumpsuit, with guests dodging his bloody knife at every turn. Halloween fanatics can expect a cameo by Myer’s psychiatrist Dr. Loomis and other famous characters from the film as they try to escape the bloodbath.

Universal Studios’ Halloween Horror Nights is the ultimate Halloween event. For more than 25 years, guests from around the world have visited Halloween Horror Nights in Hollywood and Orlando to become victims inside their own horror film. Multiple movie-quality mazes based on iconic horror television shows, films and original stories come to life season after season. And, the streets of each coast’s event are transformed into highly-themed scare zones where menacing scare-actors lunge from every darkened corner.

Additional details about Universal Studios’ Halloween Horror Nights will be revealed soon. For more information about Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort, visit www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com. All tickets and vacation packages are on sale now.

Poltergeist scared me badly as a kid, for it being a PG movie. So many great visual moments in that film. So glad they went with the 80's version and not the reboot! Really good to see Michael Meyers again, a true Halloween icon.

I meant specifically the day/night express passes, do they usually sell out?

I don't think so, but you never know---they only sell so many total express per night. Wouldn't wait too long.

Universal Studios Hollywood has sent us a press release announcing "The Horrors of Blumhouse: Chapter Two" coming to this year's Halloween Horror Nights!

“The Horrors of Blumhouse” makes an encore performance at this year’s Halloween Horror Nights, bringing leading producer of horror Jason Blum’s blockbusters to life in all-new mazes at Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort, beginning Friday, September 14.

Partnering with the creative minds at Blumhouse Productions (Get Out, Insidious, Split), Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort will unleash a series of Blum’s most terrifying films at the nation’s most intense and immersive Halloween events.

At Universal Studios Hollywood, “The Horrors of Blumhouse: Chapter Two” maze takes guests on a terrifying journey that begins at the entrance to a dilapidated movie theatre, where a compilation of horror films play out in real life. In Blumhouse’s Truth or Dare, guests will succumb to an ancient curse that has been unleashed by a group of unsuspecting college students….forcing them to play a game where the stakes are life and death. In Unfriended, guests become pawns to a supernatural entity that has invaded a chat room. Drawing inspiration from Blumhouse Productions’ infamous opening title sequence, the final feature will lure guests into a creepy old house to answer desperate cries of help…only to discover that they have actually entered a paranormal world where real-life nightmares threaten to trap them forever in misery.

At Universal Orlando Resort, “The Horrors of Blumhouse” maze will bring guests face-to-face with the most gruesome scenes from the déjà vu thriller Happy Death Day, as well as from The First Purge, the newly-released prequel to The Purge series. In Happy Death Day, guests will be transported to the film’s college town, where they will be forced to relive the last day of a student’s life over and over again…until she breaks the murderous cycle. Then, in The First Purge, guests will run for their lives as menacing citizens from the film hunt them as part of the first barbaric government experiment where all crime is declared legal for 12 hours.

Universal Studios’ Halloween Horror Nights is the ultimate Halloween event. For more than 25 years, guests from around the world have visited Halloween Horror Nights to become victims inside their own horror film. Multiple movie-quality mazes based on iconic horror television shows, films and original stories come to life season after season. And, the streets of each park’s event are transformed into highly-themed scare zones where menacing scare-actors lunge from every darkened corner.

For more information about Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort, visit http://www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com. Additional details about the events will be revealed soon. All tickets and vacation packages are now on sale.

Edited by jedimaster1227

I hope they took notes from last year and made necessary improvements. HHN has always been an amazing event, and we spend a lot of money to go, but last year felt like a parking lot haunt. Scare Zones were scarce and seemed like an after thought. Got my fingers crossed though!