TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Realistically speaking, how many years left do you all see in Xcelerator future?

Xcelerator will be there until they find something better to replace it. I pray to gawd this B&M dive garbage trend is done by then. Ugh.

It kind of boggles my mind CP gets TTD going pretty consistently, but KBF has a pretty terrible Xcelerator track record with keeping the ride open especially the past couple years. I would argue over the past 5 years TTD even with its limited seasonal CP schedule has probably been open more days than Xcelerator has been with a yearly schedule.

I'm not sure if it has something to do with the footprint? For example, Xcelerators launch is probably half the length of TTD, but goes 70% as fast. The tophat on Xcelerator definitely gives some airtime while TTD kinda lacks that, so also more wear on the trains.

I have to believe it's a budget thing. When I walk around KBF, it just does NOT seem to get any love anymore. Yeah, they popped in that dive thingy coaster, but I dunno. Ever since Cedar Fair bought it KBF just seems like a "for sure" cash grab and it just doesn't seem like the park gets the upkeep love and attention it needs. Which sucks because the park used to have so much charm, and when I've visited it just seems like it's gone now.

I would argue over the past 5 years TTD even with its limited seasonal CP schedule has probably been open more days than Xcelerator has been with a yearly schedule.

I'm sorry, but I am going to respectfully disagree with this. This huge closure that lasted from July of last year to March of this year was really the ride's first major issue since the cable incident back in late 2009 (and even then, the ride was only closed for 7 months from Sept to April). Other than those two major repairs, the ride has operated VERY consistently. Yes, a lot of times with only one train, but they ran two trains for almost a full year in 2016-2017 before the ride closed last July.

The ride does have issues, and like you said especially over the last year, but there is absolutely no way that TTD has operated more days in the last 5 years than Xcelerator. Absolutely no way.

EDIT: ^And also, while I agree much of the charm was taken away in the early-mid 2000s when Cedar Fair was plopping coasters in the park left and right, I would argue Knott's is a MUCH better place now than it was 6-7 years ago when Kinzel left office. So much of the park has been upgraded, restored, refurbished, and improved in the last 7 years under Ouimet/Zimmermann. Not trying to sound like a fanboy, but I'm sure other people agree.

Realistically speaking, how many years left do you all see in Xcelerator future?

Xcelerator will be there until they find something better to replace it. I pray to gawd this B&M dive garbage trend is done by then. Ugh.

It kind of boggles my mind CP gets TTD going pretty consistently, but KBF has a pretty terrible Xcelerator track record with keeping the ride open especially the past couple years. I would argue over the past 5 years TTD even with its limited seasonal CP schedule has probably been open more days than Xcelerator has been with a yearly schedule.

I'm not sure if it has something to do with the footprint? For example, Xcelerators launch is probably half the length of TTD, but goes 70% as fast. The tophat on Xcelerator definitely gives some airtime while TTD kinda lacks that, so also more wear on the trains.

I have to believe it's a budget thing. When I walk around KBF, it just does NOT seem to get any love anymore. Yeah, they popped in that dive thingy coaster, but I dunno. Ever since Cedar Fair bought it KBF just seems like a "for sure" cash grab and it just doesn't seem like the park gets the upkeep love and attention it needs. Which sucks because the park used to have so much charm, and when I've visited it just seems like it's gone now.

I'm visiting California for the first time in September. Thinking of hitting up Knott's on Friday the 21st or the following weekend, since the haunts are on and night rides are in. What tips can you guys give me for riding the coaster as many times as humanly possible? The hotel doesn't seem to give early entry, and Fast/Frightlane looks like it's on the cards, maybe. Is Xcelerator really that unreliable?

As Rob said in another thread, its pretty hard to call it a trend, because only 4 B&M dives have been added from 2004-2019 in North America. They're not even bad additions... they're solid rides that draw people to the park.

Ever since Cedar Fair bought it KBF just seems like a "for sure" cash grab and it just doesn't seem like the park gets the upkeep love and attention it needs. Which sucks because the park used to have so much charm, and when I've visited it just seems like it's gone now.

You could maybe argue that when Cedar Fair bought the property, but recently the park has been invested into a lot. In addition the charm seems to be there still, as many others consider this their favorite Cedar Fair park due to its higher level of theming, and charm/environment.

Edited by CoasterInk

I'm visiting California for the first time in September. Thinking of hitting up Knott's on Friday the 21st or the following weekend, since the haunts are on and night rides are in. What tips can you guys give me for riding the coaster as many times as humanly possible? The hotel doesn't seem to give early entry, and Fast/Frightlane looks like it's on the cards, maybe. Is Xcelerator really that unreliable?

Halloween Haunt is separate admission to during the day at Knott's. So, you'd have to pay twice if you want to go during the day, and during Haunt at night. During the day on the weekday should be a ghost town, so you'll be able to marathon pretty much any coaster except for Ghostrider whose line just runs slow.

Xcelerator is extremely reliable. Unless there's something major, like needing a new catch car, or cable, it runs, and runs all day.

Get your riding in during the day, and go to Haunt at night for the mazes and atmosphere.

Quick question: I’m a platinum passholder and plan to treat two of my friends to park tickets this coming Wednesday, are there discounts I can leverage? Any bring a friend free deals?

Thanks in advance! Hope xcelerator is reopened by then

Quick question: I’m a platinum passholder and plan to treat two of my friends to park tickets this coming Wednesday, are there discounts I can leverage? Any bring a friend free deals?

Thanks in advance! Hope xcelerator is reopened by then

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like any friend discounts on that date. I would try Ralphs or AAA.

335257338_Screenshot(7).thumb.png.3821bd555a19b83c2d4a80bebf77e882.png

Pass holders discounts

496322224_Screenshot(8).thumb.png.4aacca151edc1303ef07712876204d06.png

Knott's ticket discounts

When I've visited Knott's, I've never seen Xcelerator break down. Whereas every single time I get in line for Top Thrill Dragster,it seems to go down for a 10-15 minute breakdown.

Xcelerator is back open today, so whatever the problem was, it was only a minor issue. Other than the two periods of extended downtime already mentioned (cable snap and whatever part that took 7 months to fix), Xcelerator has been very reliable. It's still one of the most popular rides in the park, so I don't see it going anywhere. Knott's has managed to keep Montezooma running for over 40 years, so I don't see any reason that Xcelerator wouldn't be around for at least that long.

When I've visited Knott's, I've never seen Xcelerator break down. Whereas every single time I get in line for Top Thrill Dragster,it seems to go down for a 10-15 minute breakdown.

Xcelerator is back open today, so whatever the problem was, it was only a minor issue. Other than the two periods of extended downtime already mentioned (cable snap and whatever part that took 7 months to fix), Xcelerator has been very reliable.

one of the mechanics is on facebook and just said it was a normal 6 month cable change.

As Rob said in another thread, its pretty hard to call it a trend, because only 4 B&M dives have been added from 2004-2019.

Looks like 12 to me.

4EyzPYx.png

Exhibit A on if you're going to cite a comment made by someone, do it properly and don't leave out information.

Times have changed. Dive Coasters seem to be the *thing to have* right now...

There will have been a total of FOUR B&M Dive Coasters built in North America between 2004 - 2019. (16 seasons) I'm not sure you can really call that a trend.

Just like Inverts were a while back.

In comparison, there were 18 B&M inverts built in North America within that same time frame.

I don't think this is a good comparison.

I'll wait for your approval, Arthur! I need to get back and ride everything I missed. A quick trip out and back once the park is slow sounds fantastic.

Returned to the park today and everything was back to awesome! I was there from about 3:30pm to 7pm and all rides were a walk-on with the option to stay on and ride again. Ghost Rider, of course, was the exception, but the longest wait for that was four trains (I even got one walk-on). I basically rode all my favorites about three times each (Xcelerator, Montezooma, Hang Time, Silver Bullet, Ghost Rider, Sierra Sidewinder, Supreme Scream, and La Revolucion). I also rode Jaguar and Sol Spin once each because why not? So, a great little visit!

Ghost Rider seems ready for its maintenance. It's hardly rough, but you can tell that track / structure takes a beating every year and it's starting to show in quite a few spots. I rode Hang Time in the second car (far right) and found it surprisingly jolty through the inversions, but the back car (same seat) seemed super smooth. I'm not sure what caused that discrepancy, though. I'm warming to the ride a bit more (not that I didn't like it, per se, but I wasn't as enamored with it as other rides at the park), and the station was empty which made riding it even more appealing. I still think the lift is totally unnerving, the drop is pitched perfectly, and the innocuous-looking drop over the entrance is a perfect example of comfortable ejector air (it doesn't throw you into the restraint; instead, it's like having the floor pulled out from under you). I rarely ride Sierra Sidewinder because it's usually swamped with kids, but I got to ride it a couple of times today and was reminded of how forceful it is. It packs some intense positive gs into that tiny layout.

I haven't ridden La Revolucion since Crazanity opened, but I got to return to it today. I dig Crazanity but still kind of prefer La Revolucion. Crazanity, to me, is a legitimately intense ride (maybe even a bit too intense), whereas La Revolucion is pure fun — especially being able to see folks opposite you fly out of their seat. Still, I think Crazanity was the perfect fit for Six Flags and La Revolucion is the perfect fit for Knotts.

So, for anyone looking for a quiet day at the park with easy access to all the rides, the time is now (if you can get there on a weekday, at least).

IMG_0119.thumb.JPG.b73baf139a2066f54b20d4224fffc8e6.JPG

Some serious ejection on this top hat!

IMG_0123.thumb.JPG.f153097b074f9fef599785d209848476.JPG

Hang Time line.

IMG_0130.thumb.JPG.aa3be154729b5a304cbf076686ac7a4c.JPG

Xcelerator line.

IMG_0136.thumb.JPG.5c5ce7f349d5e2ba9a34470249002d8b.JPG

Ghost Rider line.

Does anybody know where Knott's currently has it's catering kitchen? Asking b/c they recently filed building permits for a 4486 sqft one at 8301 Stanton Street which is off the main property. Just wondering if they may be building a new one off site to open space. The job value is 2.5M in the permit.

http://www.buenapark.com/home/showdocument?id=15093

The other permit filed in July was for a emergency latter on Hangtime with job value of 65K

Edited by Sven20

Does anybody know where Knott's currently has it's catering kitchen? Asking b/c they recently filed building permits for a 4486 sqft one at 8301 Stanton Street which is off the main property. Just wondering if they may be building a new one off site to open space. The job value is 2.5M in the permit.

The other permit filed in July was for a emergency latter on Hangtime with job value of 65K

i saw someone in a facebook group say that the new building going up next to the parking lot was the new catering kitchen. or kitchen for the picnic areas. does make sense with the location of it. but who knows.