TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

The lake depth here was also stated to have been 80+ feet.

Report I saw from divers said it went down in shallower water and slid to rest in deeper water. I forget the depth they mentioned, but I think it was ~10ft.

Not sure why PFDs were distributed when the waves picked up, long before the video started. I've spent a lot of time on the water and would have wanted one in those conditions.

The fact that nobody (?) was wearing a life jacket....sad.

I saw these duck boats operating in one of the Chinese franchise parks back in 2012.

And from what I could see, everybody had life jackets on. Period.

Now granted, it was in a man-made lake, in the park itself. But still. They had rules.

Branson Fun Park is already closing up shop. They didn't even make it two months. One of the coasters has already been sold.

They are saying they'll be back in October in some fashion. Not sure what that means.

I am very disappointed. I missed them in May since they were late in opening, but had plans to be there in August. It just seems so amateurish to me to not even be able to run an amusement business in the middle of Branson for longer than two months without going under. I had high hopes for them, and that they would spur further development along.

It's very similar to that park in Alabama that also only made it two months and was also associated with a carnival operator.

Branson Fun Park is already closing up shop. They didn't even make it two months. One of the coasters has already been sold.

They are saying they'll be back in October in some fashion. Not sure what that means.

I am very disappointed. I missed them in May since they were late in opening, but had plans to be there in August. It just seems so amateurish to me to not even be able to run an amusement business in the middle of Branson for longer than two months without going under. I had high hopes for them, and that they would spur further development along.

It's very similar to that park in Alabama that also only made it two months and was also associated with a carnival operator.

I hadn't heard anything about them closing. The only thing i heard was that the green pinfari coaster was needed back by its carnival showman. Seeing that most of their rides are leased from carnival operators, im sure they'll run into issues since fair season is starting up soon.

Now granted, it was in a man-made lake, in the park itself. But still. They had rules.

Just for context, I wanted to point out that Table Rock is a man-made lake, and Silver Dollar City is on a peninsula out into that lake.

Granted I don't know much about the park or area but you threw me when you said SDC, which I always thought was in the mountains, was on a peninsula on a lake. I immediately though of like Cedar Point or something similar and was all "Goddamn WTF is Andrew smoking today?" and then I went on google maps and I totally see what you mean.

^ Oh yeah, don't think it's anything like Cedar Point. It's totally in the mountains AND on a peninsula. It's a few hundred feet above the lake, due to VERY steep bluffs that make for wonderful coaster locations.

As for the Branson Fun Park, my son and I went by there yesterday afternoon, and one guy was on a cherry picker working on Windstorm, while parts of the other big coaster were on a truck. We ended up skipping it. Totally would have given them $40 if they had had those two running. Disappointing; Branson really does need some low cost, family friendly activities, and this really fit that niche.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/missouri/article215757310.html

Not quite two weeks after a duck boat sank during a storm and killed 17 on Table Rock Lake near Branson, Mo., a lawsuit filed in federal court alleges that the companies involved in the incident knew the boats were unsafe, knew bad weather was ahead and put profits ahead of safety.

The lawsuit, filed on behalf of families of several victims in the July 19 disaster, accuses Ripley Entertainment, Ride The Ducks of Branson, Herschend Family Entertainment and other defendants of negligence, wrongful death and product liability.

I just returned from my first trip to SDC and I have to say that I absolutely loved the park!! The ride ops were great, the food was great, the scenery, the rides, the staff, everything I experienced was top notch. I've read some of the comments made recently about flooded mine and fire in the hole. Yes, they need some TLC! but as a first time rider I really enjoyed them alot. I was there for a day and a half and we didn't even see one show but we never waited in line for more than 30 min and that was on the river rapids ride. It was very hot! I appreciated the water misters around the park and the heavily wooded terrain. Very few times did we have to walk in direct sunlight. I came from Minnesota just to ride Time Traveler and it did not disappoint. The station was air conditioned, the train cars were beautiful and very comfortable to sit on and the ride itself was so unique. It was down once while we were there but it's a new ride, all new rides have bugs that need to be worked out. My biggest surprise was Outlaw Run. I wondered why the leg restraints but after riding it I now understand! So much force and speed and super smooth. The rest of the coaster line up was also pretty great. Wildfire has such an amazing view from the top! Powder Keg has a great launch and even Thunderation was really a fun mine train coaster. I thought the park had a pretty descent line up of flat ride although they could use one or two more.

Branson should be thanking their lucky stars for SDC!! The town itself was O.K. if you like sitting in traffic and looking at all the attractions. I was really surprised to see several old closed down attractions and hotels.

I came back to Minnesota and have been raving about SDC and telling everyone that they should go! I'm telling you local folks that you have a gem of a park. Yes, it needs some TLC but its a winner. My home park is a Cedar Fair park, Valleyfair! It's a nice park but pales in comparison to the charm that SDC has.

The strip has actually got better in the past couple of years. The lighting package around Time Traveler at night is very nice. Can't wait till later in the year to catch it at night again. The bluegrass version of Clocks by Coldplay is my favorite played while in queue. Thunderation at night is like Expedition Everest, another experience. Well, all the coasters are really.

I just returned from my first trip to SDC and I have to say that I absolutely loved the park!! The ride ops were great, the food was great, the scenery, the rides, the staff, everything I experienced was top notch. I've read some of the comments made recently about flooded mine and fire in the hole. Yes, they need some TLC! but as a first time rider I really enjoyed them alot. I was there for a day and a half and we didn't even see one show but we never waited in line for more than 30 min and that was on the river rapids ride. It was very hot! I appreciated the water misters around the park and the heavily wooded terrain. Very few times did we have to walk in direct sunlight. I came from Minnesota just to ride Time Traveler and it did not disappoint. The station was air conditioned, the train cars were beautiful and very comfortable to sit on and the ride itself was so unique. It was down once while we were there but it's a new ride, all new rides have bugs that need to be worked out. My biggest surprise was Outlaw Run. I wondered why the leg restraints but after riding it I now understand! So much force and speed and super smooth. The rest of the coaster line up was also pretty great. Wildfire has such an amazing view from the top! Powder Keg has a great launch and even Thunderation was really a fun mine train coaster. I thought the park had a pretty descent line up of flat ride although they could use one or two more.

Branson should be thanking their lucky stars for SDC!! The town itself was O.K. if you like sitting in traffic and looking at all the attractions. I was really surprised to see several old closed down attractions and hotels.

I came back to Minnesota and have been raving about SDC and telling everyone that they should go! I'm telling you local folks that you have a gem of a park. Yes, it needs some TLC but its a winner. My home park is a Cedar Fair park, Valleyfair! It's a nice park but pales in comparison to the charm that SDC has.

The strip has actually got better in the past couple of years. The lighting package around Time Traveler at night is very nice. Can't wait till later in the year to catch it at night again. The bluegrass version of Clocks by Coldplay is my favorite played while in queue. Thunderation at night is like Expedition Everest, another experience. Well, all the coasters are really.

Actually enjoyed quite a few songs in the TT queue. It'd be great if a loop showed up somewhere on-line

Maybe it is too soon to post but quite a few speculate 2020 will be the next big addition to the park, and seeing the success with the large investment made on Time Traveler, do you think SDC will get another major coaster or a themed area? What and why? If not 2020 ...when?

Personal preference I am still hoping for is something new from B&M, GCI, or even another Mack of some variety. It really makes me wonder on the latter as it seems like Brad and crew at SDC have developed a good working relationship with the guys at Mack Rides which could build on the success of Time Traveler. Would it be too farfetched to see a park invest in two major attractions (coasters) from the same company within a decades time?

Edited by sdcfan88

Dollywood is building that new family suspended coaster. I hope that opens the door to working with Vekoma more. Vekoma has a large portfolio of products available. I can picture a massive hyper screaming through the Ozarks

Would it be too farfetched to see a park invest in two major attractions from the same company within a decades time?

Um...River Blast (2010) and Time Traveler (2018). I'd say the company is open to the idea of buying two major rides from Mack within a decade of each other.

Would it be too farfetched to see a park invest in two major attractions from the same company within a decades time?

Um...River Blast (2010) and Time Traveler (2018). I'd say the company is open to the idea of buying two major rides from Mack within a decade of each other.

SDC also built Powder Keg in 2005 and the Barn Swing in 2007 both from S&S.

And if we’re talking about any park-Dollywood added Mystery Mine in 2007 and Firechaser Express in 2014 both from Gerstlauer. Cedar Point also has many examples- Millenium Force (2000), Wicked Twister (2002), Top Thrill Dragster (2003), Maverick (2007), and Shoot the Rapids (2010) all from Intamin and then Gatekeeper (2013), Rougarou (2015), and Valravn (2016) from B&M.

So there are many examples of parks buying multiple rides from the same company in just a few years. But, I would still prefer SDC go with another B&M before getting another Mack coaster.

We have done this conversation before.

The pattern was large Capex purchases in pairs from a single manufacturer. To play this game, you have to include the now closed Celebration City.

Two Arrows, Thunderation at SDC, Tenn Tornado at DW

Two S&S Giant Swings at each

Two GCI woodies, Thunderhead at DW, Ozark Wildcat (RIP) at CC

There was to be Gerstlauer Euro fighter at SDC. The recession and reevaluation of the euro put that off, the Second gerstlauer came in the form of Firechaser Express

There was a large gap between Wildfire and Wild Eagle but there is a pair of B&Ms now.

Two Mack splash battles.

Two RMCS

You even saw Manby at Seas buy a bulk order of Premiere Sky Rockets:)

There is a clone of Fire in the Hole at DW and once a Flooded Mine as well.

A pair of Waterboggins as well.

Now, SDC and Dollywood have recieved unique to them rides.

Buzzsaw Falls at SDC was deemed a dog and replaced with S&S modified replacement Power keg.

Who can forget the topple tower fiasco at DW. Some of the new additions have come as replacements of fairly new attractions. I mentioned Power Keg but Firechaser knocked down a newish ropes course.

I have never really bought into the Dollywood is the pet park belief. If Celebration City had made it, Dolly wouldn't have much of an edge on overall number of attractions when you consider it from a combined view of SDC and CC. CC closing gave Dolly the edge. I m of the firm belief that Herschend has let Whitewater fall way behind but until Branson gets some serious comp on that front, they'll milk that cash cow feeding it the minimal amount of hay. Now, I'm waiting of the SDC resort but there a few more issues that seem to hinder that, infrastructure and the two existing parks being separated being the biggest.

I think that within the past 5 years the realization that SDC and Dollywood are becoming more of destination parks and not just regional park and that the days of copycat rides or a pair of coasters by the same maker at the same time may be over and going forward, more differentiation. I would love to see a Star Flyer at SDC for the views it would offer up. Niether park has a true steel hyper either. I think the next u announced coaster at one of the parks will be a Mack or Vekoma hyper or maybe one park gets Mack and the other a Vekoma.

I think Dollywood's removed Splash Battle appears in Valdosta at Wild Adventures soon.

We travel to SDC once a year, what a gem that park is. Obviously well run, and well managed.

I'm wondering why they've never built an on site resort (or nearby resort)? Similar to the Dream resort at Dollywood. No doubt they've probably done the ROI and it doesn't make sense. Or maybe its land. I think a resort is something that makes SDC a destination park. You could argue it already is one.

I'll be headed to SDC for the first time this fall, going to Thanksgiving in Springfield. Our options are the Friday, Saturday, or Sunday after Turkey Day. I assume all of these will be terribly crowded, but which of the three would be the least terrible? Also, would the basic Trailblazer 8-ride pass be worth it? Thanks!

We travel to SDC once a year, what a gem that park is. Obviously well run, and well managed.

I'm wondering why they've never built an on site resort (or nearby resort)? Similar to the Dream resort at Dollywood. No doubt they've probably done the ROI and it doesn't make sense. Or maybe its land. I think a resort is something that makes SDC a destination park. You could argue it already is one.

They actually have a rv park and log cabins nearby. The topography of the area is challenging plus the road system is nottlenecked. There can be hours long delays on 76 to the park especially busy Saturdays.

The old Celebration City Site is still owned by them. They could build a resort and all new water park right there if they so chose to. Whitewater is leased land from the city of Branson.

I think the only thing keeping them from getting their own resort is infrastructure. They could build one today out at the old Celebration City property... but that wouldn't be close to any of their existing properties so they would have to run shuttles all over town. Out at SDC you have difficult topography, limited roads, and probably undersized sewer and water lines. The road is already a huge problem and has massive backups on many busy weekends. I'm not sure what they could do to fix that, but it's not going to happen soon.