TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

First 2019 teaser is up

If they didn't already have a mat-reacer type slide, I would think that would be the obvious answer, but since they already have one of those, I'm stumped... seems like some sort of water slide with either a racing theme or racing element...

If this actually ends up being a water ride, this is the lamest teaser campaign I have ever seen. The point of teaser campaigns is to give some clues, but also throw some red herrings in to misdirect people and keep them talking. There are clues in there, such as the racing theme, SPF 1000, showing a record spinning (record breaking ride?). Even showing the drop slides follows the racing theme.

I am not buying it being a water slide or water coaster. I now think it’s a dry ride, and this is after years of figuring they would put a water coaster in this spot once the Pictorium came down. It will have been 5 years since Goliath. It is time for something big, unique, and that will draw people to the park after 3 clones in a row (okay, MGH is taller than the others). People will be very disappointed if it is a water slide. They are already expressing as much on FB. It is a nice sized piece of land.

If this actually ends up being a water ride, this is the lamest teaser campaign I have ever seen. The point of teaser campaigns is to give some clues, but also throw some red herrings in to misdirect people and keep them talking. There are clues in there, such as the racing theme, SPF 1000, showing a record spinning (record breaking ride?). Even showing the drop slides follows the racing theme.

I am not buying it being a water slide or water coaster. I now think it’s a dry ride, and this is after years of figuring they would put a water coaster in this spot once the Pictorium came down. It will have been 5 years since Goliath. It is time for something big, unique, and that will draw people to the park after 3 clones in a row (okay, MGH is taller than the others). People will be very disappointed if it is a water slide. They are already expressing as much on FB. It is a nice sized piece of land.

Lame? I think it is a pretty good start, with some possible clues in it. Also, you will not know what the actual red herrings are until the announcement.

Or, maybe it's exactly what it's teasing... They're sending a dude with sun screen all over his body to go ride something... Teasers don't always have to be so obscure.

Coaster enthusiasts are the people who speak the loudest on facebook groups and forums, so of course you're going to hear a ton of complaints. Most people outside of the coaster community seem to love water slides. Also, without a few compact coaster additions, with Goliath being one of the few exceptions, Six Flags doesn't seem focused on building many mid sized or large scale coasters at this time. Aside from that, Justice League, the S&S Free Spin, and the largest Larson Loop were pretty decent dry park additions over the last few years.

My guess is that the new addition will be exactly what the video is teasing, but I acknowledge that anyone's guess is certainly just as good, if not better, than mine. Coaster enthusiasts sometimes read too much into the obvious. From what I can recall, Six Flags doesn't put nearly as much effort into teasing new attractions as other parks.

Lame? I think it is a pretty good start, with some possible clues in it. Also, you will not know what the actual red herrings are until the announcement.

Yes, if they essentially give away the type of ride it is in the very first teaser, that is lame to me. That’s a big IF though. I don’t think SFGAm has ever done that. It should take several teasers to determine fully what the type of ride is, even. The video is fine for what it is. I am not knocking the teaser as long as it is not so obvious. There are some clues in there, hopefully some red herrings. It has people talking. That’s good. I did not mean to come off as saying that teaser sucked.

Speaking of red herrings, last year, one of the early teasers for MGH was throwing life preservers and/or life jackets on the gator statues in the pool in front of King Chaos. A lot of people thought it meant a possible water ride coming. Nope. It just tied into what we thought the original theme for MGH was, which was a hurricane. That changed due to the bad hurricane just before the announcement. This park likes to play around with us in the early teasers. To be this obvious would be a shift.

If it is a water ride, a water coaster is the only thing that makes sense for that space that we do not have yet. While I find water coasters fun, I think that is a waste of prime real estate in the park. I still think it could be something totally different.

We are talking about red herrings because the park has put them in every teaser campaign for the last several years. Nobody knew what the new attraction was after the first teaser in years past. They are still teasing a coaster in this video just as much as a waterpark addition, because the girls are wearing the X-Flight worker jumpsuits. It could be anything at this point. Those happen to be the 2011 and 2012 additions, too.

We are talking about red herrings because the park has put them in every teaser campaign for the last several years. Nobody knew what the new attraction was after the first teaser in years past. They are still teasing a coaster in this video just as much as a waterpark addition, because the girls are wearing the X-Flight worker jumpsuits. It could be anything at this point. Those happen to be the 2011 and 2012 additions, too.

I remember the first teaser campaign for Justice League showed American Eagle in the clip; just to clarify, is that what you mean by a red herring?

Anything that can do better than 2 seconds sounds like a launch dry side coaster to me. The ride survey several of us have taken now kept mentioning the name Max or Maxx Force and what that makes us think of, strong acceleration, large inversions, and there was no mention of a water ride anywhere in it. I took it months ago, and my wife just got it over the weekend. I still think they are using HH as a red herring. I would say at WORST it is record breaking water coaster, which would be cool with me, but I am still leaning toward record breaking launch coaster, on the dry side. I am very excited for next year!

^

One of the things brought up in the ride survey over and over was a dual racing coaster concept. They had name choices (besides the ubiquitous Maxxx Force) like West Coast Racers, Turbo Traxx, Dualing Racers, Speed Demons, and Street Racers. Could connect with all the twos, and of course the drop slides are a dueling race ride themselves.