TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

What about that Sunday of Labor Day weekend? That particular day is advantageous only because I wouldn't have to take a vacation day afterward to drive home (because I sure as heck am not driving six hours after a full day at the park).

Sundays in September are Bring A Friend Free days. Keep that in mind.

Interesting, but that's only for passholders and members, right? Do you think that it would make the Saturday a better day to go?

Must. Not. Purchase. Flash. Pass.

I'm considering SFOG as our Halloween destination this year. I couldn't find any trip reports for Fright Fest over the last couple years. Is it a decent event? Also, I know SFGam has a reputation for having kind of a rough crowd on the weekends, now. How are the clientele during FF? I've been to haunts where the park is pretty much exclusively crowds of roaming obnoxious teenagers after 9ish. It may seem like a silly question, but I'd rather have a relaxing time to an extent, since I deal with obnoxious behavior enough as it is.

Either that, or we may take a page out of Joe's book and just go on a Saturday in September.

I'm considering SFOG as our Halloween destination this year. I couldn't find any trip reports for Fright Fest over the last couple years. Is it a decent event? Also, I know SFGam has a reputation for having kind of a rough crowd on the weekends, now. How are the clientele during FF? I've been to haunts where the park is pretty much exclusively crowds of roaming obnoxious teenagers after 9ish. It may seem like a silly question, but I'd rather have a relaxing time to an extent, since I deal with obnoxious behavior enough as it is.

Either that, or we may take a page out of Joe's book and just go on a Saturday in September.

SFoG can get insanely crowded during Fright Fest. Saturdays are (of course) the worst. Friday and Sunday not quite as bad. Nice thing about Friday and Saturday is they stay open 'til midnight. A couple things to keep in mind - the later you get into October, the more ramped up the crowds get, as you get closer to Halloween. Having said that, I did notice the park added October 29-30-31 to the calendar, so going on Monday the 29th or Tuesday the 30th might have less of a crowd due to being weeknights, plus the fact not everyone will be aware the park is open!

As for the clientele, I have not been privy to any issues or rowdiness, etc. Yes, the place can get crazy busy but I have not seen unruly crowd behavior. Not saying it has not or cannot happen, but being my 'home' park I am not aware of anything like that.

The haunts range from OK to pretty good, perhaps getting gradually better year by year. IMHO none of them are really scary but the park does give good attention to detail on some of the haunts. Lines can get very long so if you can splurge on a VIP haunt wristband, go for it as you can bypass the sometimes horrendous waits. Also you don't want to miss the Dr. Frights Dead Mans' Party show. It is extremely popular - and has been rockin' since 1994!

I did post a TR without photos for FF last October - more of a review of Fright Fest itself. Since many haunted attractions are recycled and/or somewhat modified each year, that report will at least be partially relevant to this year.

Best of luck- hope this helps!

Interesting, but that's only for passholders and members, right? Do you think that it would make the Saturday a better day to go?

Must. Not. Purchase. Flash. Pass.

I think 99% of the people at sfog have season passes or memberships.. the busiest day I have ever been there was on season pass holders night during frightfest.. never doing that again!

It was only open to season pass holders and their friends. (Friends got a discounted ticket)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Edited by dstephe9

SFoG can get insanely crowded during Fright Fest. Saturdays are (of course) the worst. Friday and Sunday not quite as bad. Nice thing about Friday and Saturday is they stay open 'til midnight. A couple things to keep in mind - the later you get into October, the more ramped up the crowds get, as you get closer to Halloween. Having said that, I did notice the park added October 29-30-31 to the calendar, so going on Monday the 29th or Tuesday the 30th might have less of a crowd due to being weeknights, plus the fact not everyone will be aware the park is open!

As for the clientele, I have not been privy to any issues or rowdiness, etc. Yes, the place can get crazy busy but I have not seen unruly crowd behavior. Not saying it has not or cannot happen, but being my 'home' park I am not aware of anything like that.

The haunts range from OK to pretty good, perhaps getting gradually better year by year. IMHO none of them are really scary but the park does give good attention to detail on some of the haunts. Lines can get very long so if you can splurge on a VIP haunt wristband, go for it as you can bypass the sometimes horrendous waits. Also you don't want to miss the Dr. Frights Dead Mans' Party show. It is extremely popular - and has been rockin' since 1994!

I did post a TR without photos for FF last October - more of a review of Fright Fest itself. Since many haunted attractions are recycled and/or somewhat modified each year, that report will at least be partially relevant to this year.

Best of luck- hope this helps!

In the past SFOG has had an outside company do their haunt's and the company that does them is one of the best in the south! I have gone every year for the past 6 or so years.. last season was a wash out and we really didn't do anything or stay.. Crowd's are very large and the haunt's have a very long line normally. My wife and I get a flash pass because we like the night rides on coasters but you can't do both (night rides and haunt's) without a flash pass.. we book a ride and then wait on a haunt.. (flash passes aren't good for haunt's).. after the haunt we ride our ride and then book another and wait in line for a haunt..

Keep in mind, they have a few indoor haunt's and I suggest doing those during the day. One is small but on is fairly large.. no lines for those during the day.. the "free' haunt's are small and basict tiny themed area's.. the larger haunt's cost money but are worth it if you like that type of stuff.. just check their schedules!! Some of the haunt's take a break about halfway through the night.

I guess I'm thinking Sunday the 9th or Saturday the 15th to go then. Hopefully there won't be too many people that use the bring a friend free perk. Saturday the 8th is Greek day so I'm staying away from that.

Jesus... so you book a ride and wait for a haunt meaning that it takes you the entire time of waiting in line for the haunt for your ride to be ready???
Rides move faster then haunt's but it does take a good 30 mins sometimes for the ride to be ready, at least on sat nights.. that's the basic flash pass though

^Ah. Can anyone comment on how the highest level flash pass waits are on Fright Fest? Also, I'm assuming SF did their usual MO and you can only purchase a couple flash pass rides on Georgia Cyclone which have to be scheduled in advance?

Edited by prozach626

I just realized that we're now in the month of August. This year flew by. Wow...

I'm guessing that Mother Nature didn't want me to ride any roller coasters this week since it's been raining since Monday night.

Saturday looks like it might be decent but I don't really want to spend money on a Flash Pass.

I made it to the park yesterday at 5 PM and was delighted to find a 10 minute wait for Twisted Cyclone. My boyfriend and I snagged three rides on it. Holy. Crap. What a beast. Fast, smooth, well paced, etc. All the things I'd expect from an RMC! What a great addition to the park. I'm glad to have finally gotten on it.

^Ah. Can anyone comment on how the highest level flash pass waits are on Fright Fest? Also, I'm assuming SF did their usual MO and you can only purchase a couple flash pass rides on Georgia Cyclone which have to be scheduled in advance?
Haven't been there this season so not sure.. I know the last time I purchased one you could book the newest rides (or backwards Batman, VR DDD or whatever other gimmick they had instead of a new ride) as often as you wanted but must have the highest level flash pass.

Also not sure on price either.. Memberships always have discounts so for the basic I have paid as low as $35 total for two people and as much as $50 total.. other levels also have discounts but I'm thinking the highest one was $75ish each so $150 total for two. I think one of their new membership levels might even include one of the flash passes now.. can't remember

I made it to the park yesterday at 5 PM and was delighted to find a 10 minute wait for Twisted Cyclone. My boyfriend and I snagged three rides on it. Holy. Crap. What a beast. Fast, smooth, well paced, etc. All the things I'd expect from an RMC! What a great addition to the park. I'm glad to have finally gotten on it.

Glad you enjoyed it! I've gone on weekdays a couple of times this summer and it never has too bad of a wait.

David

All right, I've decided that I'm going to shoot for Sunday the 9th of September to go to Six Flags over Georgia, weather permitting.

First time going - anyone have any battle plan advice? I intend on being there open to close. I will only consider purchasing Flash Pass if it's absolutely necessary. Thanks everybody!

All right, I've decided that I'm going to shoot for Sunday the 9th of September to go to Six Flags over Georgia, weather permitting.

First time going - anyone have any battle plan advice? I intend on being there open to close. I will only consider purchasing Flash Pass if it's absolutely necessary. Thanks everybody!

Park should be walk on for most rides until noon or so. Get there at least 30 minutes early. It seems that they've opened Twisted Cyclone early before the park opens as its right in front. From there go straight to Dare Devil Dive. Next if you want the credit grab Joker Fun House Coaster (fun BTW) as its a single train with very slow dispatches. Superman in the back of the park. Then probably over to Mind Bender and then Monster Mansion and Dahlonega Mine Train. Save, GA Scorcher Batman, Blue Hawk, GASM and Goliath until later in the day. Also if on a meal plan, try and eat by 1130 or eateries gets slow and crowded.

I was just there for the 1st time ~2 weeks ago, and although people's tastes are gonna be different, I'd say for sure don't skip:

-- Twisted Cyclone (lines in the afternoon seemed shorter)

-- Georgia Scorcher (again lines in the afternoon seemed walk on. . by far the smoothest standup I've ever been on)

-- everything in Gotham (Mindbender, Batman (super forcefull for a Batman), Joker Loops, and the swings were all great, the Harley Tilt a Whirl was really the only thing that had a long line when we were there).

-- Monster Mansion (a truly unique WTF dark ride)

-- JLA battle for Metropolis (all the effects were working, and it was just brilliant)

-- Goliath (KILLER hyper coaster, smooth as hell in the front and very reridable).

-- Carousel Hill (classic carousel with beautiful design, and a really scenic and pretty classic gas powered cars track. . you'll forget you're in a theme park).

if you have time, I'd say also worth a stop are:

-- Superman (flying coaster). . short layout, but pulled a long line

-- Great American Scream Machine (classic woodie, was much smoother in the front, but not much air with the current trains being used)

-- Acrophobia (looked like a great drop tower, but was down during my visit, so didn't get to ride)

-- Flume (didn't get us too wet, but just an average flume)

-- Thunder River (raft ride -- got us ABSOLUTELY soaked -- to the point we had to go back to the hotel to change. . so be warned)

-- skybuckets (great way to get towards the back of the park).

-- Jokers Funhouse Coaster (also down during our trip, but looked like a fun and uniquely laid out roller skater)

I'd say for sure avoid Blue Hawk (unless you are into pain from horrible transitions). . LOL. . . .anything else was OK to "mildly fun", tho your mileage may vary on DareDevil Dive (I hated it) . . but above were our highlights.

oh. . the Mine Train!. . lots of fun, until the final tunnel. be warned, there's a transition coming out of the tunnel, headed back to the station, that will jolt the hell out of you. it actually 'cracked' my spine, it's so rough. . so be prepared for that!

have fun!. . I greatly enjoyed this park.

^Nice mini review of everything. In terms of Six Flags parks, I think Over Georgia is my number one or two on the "next to visit" list. Twisted Cyclone, Goliath, Mind Bender, and Batman seems like a really solid top 4, plus Dare Devil Dive, Superman, Scorcher, and all the others too. Some day!

Good to know on the possibility of Twisted Cyclone opening early. The intent is to get at least one lap on every coaster in the park. I'm definitely looking forward to Goliath, Mind Bender and Georgia Scorcher, and my ride on Twisted Cyclone will determine whether or not I end up joining the Cult of Rocky Mountain. It'll also be my first new coaster park since I visited Kennywood in 2014.

I'd say for sure avoid Blue Hawk (unless you are into pain from horrible transitions). . LOL. . . .anything else was OK to "mildly fun", tho your mileage may vary on DareDevil Dive (I hated it) . . but above were our highlights.

So maybe I'm biased from growing up with the awfulness that was the Ninja, but when they did the track work and replaced the trains to convert Ninja into Blue Hawk, the coaster literally moved up 300 spots in my steel ranking list. Yes, there are still a couple spots where if you aren't careful you might smack your head back into the headrest, but overall I have found it to be infinitely improved over what it used to be and what most Arrow & Vekoma looper experiences are.

DDD isn't my cup of tea, personally, but I do think it's by far the smoothest of the Eurofighter coasters (even if it has the worst ops/capacity). It's not an overly extreme ride, but I find it to be generally enjoyable provided I don't have to wait more than 15-20mins for it (which is rare due to the aforementioned awful ops/capacity).

Other than that, I generally agree with the rest of your review. SFOG is a quiet gem with a lot of really great rides.

My personal thoughts on SFOG's ride collection:

Goliath: top-3 B&M hyper (w/ Mako & Diamondback)

MindBender: best steel coaster built before 1980 (if not 1990)

Twisted Cyclone: best RMC (IMHO, even though I know most people are drinking the Steel Vengeance Kool-Aid)

GA Scorcher: top-2 Stand-Up (w/ Riddler's Revenge at SFMM)

Batman: an excellent cloned model that holds its own with the best of the inverts

DDD: best Eurofighter

Blue Hawk: best Vekoma sit-down looper (& in the convo w/ TN Tornado, which is my favorite Arrow looper)

Superman: best US flying coaster (has the terrain interactions the other clones lack; Tatsu just floats about aimlessly above the trees; Manta is good but I think Superman edges it out)

GASM: can go die in a fire. the most boring wooden coaster I've ridden outside of CGA's Grizzly. No airtime. No laterals. No 'classic nostalgia'. Just pointlessness.

Mine Train: meh.

Justice League: I've had worse luck on this one than any of the others, and it doesn't have an externally-accessible single rider line, which sucks

Joker: best family coaster I've seen at a SF park

Acrophobia: very good drop tower (if you can get over the uncomfortable seating position)

Monster Mansion: stay out of the marsh. STAY OUT OF THE MARSH!! OH NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!