TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

God this looks weird, I like it!

Also, I know this is really enthusiasty and I hate myself for saying it, and I don't wanna start the complaint train, but doesn't look like it'll have a lot of potential for airtime. Very inversion heavy. That said, it still looks weird and random AF and I like that.

I will laugh so hard if Kennywood loses a sports bet with another park and they have to temporarily rename this coaster.

Steel Curtain sounds awesome too (and this is coming from a Patriots fan who absolutely despises the Steelers).

Edited by Canobie Coaster

I am not a sports fan. Does Steel Curtain mean something....sporty?

Yeah, It was used to describe the Steeler's defensive line in the 70's because it was one of the best defensive lines of all time.

Ok thank you! That makes the name a little less random lol!

I'm glad they put up the clearer video, this thing is so odd. I look forward to riding it. That first drop looks like S&S found the old Drachen Fire plans and went "Why hasn't anyone done this lately?"

The Steelers theme is "Meh" but the ride looks nuts and hopefully is a lot fun.

Oh WOW. That layout is batshit insane. As long as it rides well, this is going to be incredible! I can't wait for this one!

Couldn't care one way or another about the sports themeing in general but since it's an excuse to paint it Pittsburgh colors, it works for me.

In all seriousness the ride looks amazing and it's awesome to see something totally unique and innovative. Obviously we can't wait to ride it and the theme won't impact our enjoyment of the ride in any way but like... did it have to be the Steelers?

Edited by coasterbill

That name is soo bad.

"You've ridden Steel Vengeance, but have you ridden Steel... CURTAIN?!?!" At least some locals will know what that's referencing, but it sounds really lame to my ears.

As far as the coaster/layout goes... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I hope it tracks well I guess? The inversion-heavy layout doesn't excite me too much. S&S doesn't have a great track-record recently in terms of delivering prototype rides on time, so... good luck

Rumors of Intamin Blitz and Ravine RMC set me up for disappointment I suppose. It will look great to the GP though.

Edited by chickenbowl

:lol: In all seriousness the ride looks amazing and it's awesome to see something totally unique and innovative. Obviously we can't wait to ride it and the theme won't impact our enjoyment of the ride in any way but like... the Steelers ?

Agreed on all points

So how much of the coaster/area did the Steelers pay for? 50%? That's some REALLY heavy theming for Kennywood.

Don't really care about sports so the name is weird, but I can see how it would really appeal to the locals and this is mostly a locals park so makes sense.

Ride looks very different, should be interesting to see once it's actually under real construction.

"You've ridden Steel Vengeance, but have you ridden Steel... CURTAIN?!?!" At least some locals will know what that's referencing, but it sounds really lame to my ears.

I get it from the outside looking in but trust me, almost EVERYONE in the northeast associates the Steel Curtain with the Steelers... even those of us that hate them (raises hand). It's actually a pretty cool name in context, and 99% of their guests will know exactly what it means.

Edited by coasterbill

Reading the chat during the livestream just reminded me why I absolutely despise most "enthusiasts". Ugh.

I personally couldn't care less about the Steelers theme but I have to admit it makes a lot of sense both from a hometown pride perspective and hopefully from a monetary standpoint as well. On the other hand, as soon as I mentioned this to my best friend, he immediately made plans to go back as he's a lifelong Steelers fan. So that's one person caught by the marketing bug!

The layout looks absolutely mental and I can't wait to ride it. Also, if they manage to make this a 48" height requirement as they were speculating during the press conference, I'll be amazed.

I really hope that S&S can get their game face on and build this without any significant issues. I know there's been a lot of problems in the recent past with Gale Force, Merlin's Mayhem, and the reliability of the free spins. Hearing that they're manufacturing all the track here in the US is a good start to that.

S&S doesn't have a great track-record recently in terms of delivering prototype rides on time, so... good luck

What's so "prototype-ish" about this ride?

While it's more of a "regular looping coaster" it's still a first for S&S and Merlin's Mayhem is possibly the furthest thing from a prototype but it still had it's issues, not even mentioning galeforce which at the end of the day is just a launch coaster

S&S doesn't have a great track-record recently in terms of delivering prototype rides on time, so... good luck

What's so "prototype-ish" about this ride?

Lots of new hardware and systems for them - For example, I'm sure the trains will be a completely new design for S&S. They've also never built a coaster this large. I just can't help but look back at how GaleForce and Merlin's Mayhem went... *shudders*

Between this, Sky Rocket and Phantom's Revenge, Kennywood is definitely becoming the place with the most "wonderfully weird" coasters.

I think it's super-cool that they're tying the coaster together with a themed area. Looks fun!