TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR in Japan - 2018 - Theme parks and Japanese Fun!

I *finally* am all caught up on this insane report! All of it looks amazing, you guys always seem to get into so much. Thanks for letting us follow along and can't wait for more!

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is an insane ammount of spinning!

Please tell me it is at least more comfortable to ride than GL at MM.

I didn't think it was "uncomfortable," and I'm not into spinning.

I love the angle from 0:53 to 1:18. It really shows how insane this thing is.

See, interesting that you mention that. When we filmed Dinoconda in China a few years ago, and then again the S&S Prototype Free Spin, I wanted to mount the camera on a fixed part of the chassis to show off how much the ride spins.

For whatever reason, the parks that have installed these rides don't ever seem to show that off. They always mount the camera to the spinning ride vehicle which just becomes this blur of spinning that it's impossible to really grasp what the ride does. I've always felt a good mix between the two shots really sells the ride.

I don't know if parks just hadn't thought about doing that or people didn't like that angle, but I always wondered why we were the only ones to mount cameras like that to 4D coasters.

Not saying that I know more than the parks when it comes to filming rides, but.... well... let's be honest... most parks are pretty clueless when it comes to filming their own rides!

Not saying that I know more than the parks when it comes to filming rides, but.... well... let's be honest... most parks are pretty clueless when it comes to filming their own rides!

If I'm showing ride videos to non-rider friends I always show them TPR vids because you capture the feel of a ride experience better. A great example is the Steel Vengeance official video versus your "hair time" video, the official vid is fine for real coaster nuts, but when I wanted to show my family what it feels like to ride this thing, I showed them Hair Time.

^That looks like a really interesting coaster, just a shame it has OTSRs instead of lapbars.

How is it in terms of comfort? It looks like it may have a few jerky moments but not too bad, overall.

Also, great video

There's something I've been wondering for awhile about Japanese amusement parks, it seems like smaller parks aren't that concerned with what their rides look like, you see lots of faded paint and rust, which seems sort of counter to Japanese culture which is generally so neat and tidy. Have you ever heard the reasoning behind this, or is it just that these smaller parks aren't making that much money so they focus on maintenance rather than looks?

^That looks like a really interesting coaster, just a shame it has OTSRs instead of lapbars.

How is it in terms of comfort? It looks like it may have a few jerky moments but not too bad, overall.

Also, great video

I got a bruise on it that lasted about 3 weeks! It's not terrible, but you really have to brace and be ready for certain spots and unfortunately I was watching out for KT more than myself.

Also, great video

For the most part, it's a "good" ride. Like Elissa says there are a couple of good jolts. It's much more tolerable in the front. It's actually one of the few Togo coasters I actually do like mainly because it is so "interesting." I'm sure it has the OTSR's because Japan is so insanely safety conscious and they probably think that riders are more secure that way. But yeah, you almost have to ride it once and get beat up to know where to brace yourself during your second ride. Once you know, it's actually not too bad.

I remember seeing some older POVs and thinking that it did indeed look fairly unique and while some rides are better than others on this aspect, there are many coasters which, after one initial ride to “detect” each critical point, can be enjoyed much better. I’ve never been on a Togo but I’d certainly like to try one just for the experience, some day.

On my laptop screen this video was 8.25 inches tall. When I watched it in the famiy room it was 32 inches tall. So I guess this video is really only as tall as the screen you are viewing it on. Now I didn't account for my laptop screen being a 16:10 aspect ratio and the video was shot in 16:9 thereby reducing the actual picture by roughly 1 inch vertical. So really it was in fact only 7.25 inches tall on my laptop. But my televieion monitor is 16:9, so I did get the full 32 on that screen. Am I right?

Oh! Whatever happened to Wet Bandit? Was that just a one Summer kinda thing, or did they remove it because they know Dan was with you on this trip?

Also, great video

I got a bruise on it that lasted about 3 weeks! It's not terrible, but you really have to brace and be ready for certain spots and unfortunately I was watching out for KT more than myself.

I’m just really happy that Fujiyama has lap bars

And here's the video of Do-Dodonpa, still the World's Fastest Roller Coaster Acceleration! I personally preferred the loop over the airtime hill. The airtime hill was just painful, and not in the good sort of "RMC" way, just in a painful way. The loop was really good and I have always loved vertical loops on roller coasters! (My favorite kind of inversion)

"Loudest - brakes - ever."

Awesome video, Robb. I'm still not too sure if I would (or could) ride it again.

Still. Whatta rush! And nice to hear they still kept that ongoing - continual - "Dom-Dom-Dom"

in the queue and in the launch tunnel. A very vibrating bass earworm, lol.

Great video of it all!