TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Hey guys. I was planning to visit Kennywood on the last weekend of August, and I had a question about crowds for anyone who was familiar with the park / area.

I read somewhere that Kennywood is typically ridiculously busy that weekend due to the start of school being that week. Do you find that that to be the case?

Check their events schedule to see if the fall fantasy parades are scheduled for then. They usually bring schools to the park and it can be busy. Sunday is usually the better of the weekend days if you do go. Depending on how much time you have it may be a non issue even if it's busy. Their lines move fairly well and are nothing like the bigger parks.

Cool, was planning on Sunday anyways, and the Fall Fantasy is earlier in the month. From what you said, does that mean that Kennywood is more of a half day park?

Hey guys. I was planning to visit Kennywood on the last weekend of August, and I had a question about crowds for anyone who was familiar with the park / area.

I read somewhere that Kennywood is typically ridiculously busy that weekend due to the start of school being that week. Do you find that that to be the case?

Check their events schedule to see if the fall fantasy parades are scheduled for then. They usually bring schools to the park and it can be busy. Sunday is usually the better of the weekend days if you do go. Depending on how much time you have it may be a non issue even if it's busy. Their lines move fairly well and are nothing like the bigger parks.

Cool, was planning on Sunday anyways, and the Fall Fantasy is earlier in the month. From what you said, does that mean that Kennywood is more of a half day park?

It depends. On a day when everything is practically a walk on, you can cover the park in a few hours. Obviously that leaves more times for rerides. But on the busiest days a full day is usually still good enough to get on everything at least once. Though I'd recommend trying to knock out the big stuff as early in the day as possible.

So what is Garfield and what's...interesting about it? I've never been to the park and this seems intriguing.
It's a classic indoor dark ride. Essentially you sit in a boat that follows a course through a Garfield themed story. They have tons of fluorescent paint and black lighting that give you a 3D effect while wearing the glasses.

It used to be themed as the Old Mill with a western skeleton theme. Many people would prefer that the park return it to that state but with some newer technical enhancements.

I see

I think someone should show this ride to Jacksfilms

there are plenty of POVs on YouTube (just search for Garfield's Nightmare). . tho it doesn't really connect the WTF-ness of it, the same as experiencing it in person:

the 3D, all the florescent Neon, and the smell. . . oh, the smell.

Garfield's Nightmare is exactly that: a nightmare. With that ride plus Noah's Ark, Kennywood certainly doesn't lack in attractions that make you question your own sanity.

and the smell. . . oh, the smell.

Garfield's Nightmare is exactly that: a nightmare. With that ride plus Noah's Ark, Kennywood certainly doesn't lack in attractions that make you question your own sanity.

Kangaroo, and most certainly Turtle fall in that category too.

when you're standing over there and the speakers blast out :

"TUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

it's surreal as hell.

In my opinion (and I think many people's), no matter how busy, or not busy Kennywood is, a full day there is always awesome!

^Or when the Kangaroo goes "Boing! Boing! Boing!" just like a kangaroo in the wild.

I think I'm not making that up...if it's not a thing though it could've been a quirky operator on the mic.

It's definitely a thing.... there is an auto-spiel button for the boing. We have one certain op there who just holds the button down for the entire ride cycle [emoji23]

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Were in the first stages of adding Kennywood to our 2018 park travels. I looked on the Kennywood site and did not see any flash passes. Does Kennywood offer any sort of fast pass? I would hate to drive 8 hours to the park and not be able to ride anything.

When I was there last year they offered a "VIP Coaster Tour" package which got you up the exit ramp to each coaster once.

Here's the VIP Coaster Tour info: https://www.kennywood.com/VIPCoasterTours Seems they do have an Unlimited pass for $80 that has "limited availability"

Also, the website mentions that the Sky Rocket is down for repairs until further notice.

I saw a photo on Facebook that a building adjacent to the coaster caught on fire, so that could explain why Sky Rocket is down.

Here's the VIP Coaster Tour info: https://www.kennywood.com/VIPCoasterTours Seems they do have an Unlimited pass for $80 that has "limited availability"

Also, the website mentions that the Sky Rocket is down for repairs until further notice.

I saw a photo on Facebook that a building adjacent to the coaster caught on fire, so that could explain why Sky Rocket is down.

You mean this...

Screenshot_20180604-104615.thumb.jpg.6f7ce9659cb41056c1a51cc3a2842626.jpg

Not sure who to give credit to on this picture.

Was at the park yesterday, Thomas Town is a ways out yet. Still finishing work on the buildings. I saw 3/4 of the new rides, though one was covered. No landscaping done or anything yet either. At least a month and a half I’d say.