Photo TR's: JordyC's Theme Park Adventures

Attractiepark Slagharen - September
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR's: JordyC's Theme Park Adventures

Postby JordyC » Tue May 22, 2018 7:57 am

Wildlands Adventure Zoo Emmen (Tweestryd) - May 2018

Hello everyone!

On May 21th 2018, I went to Wildlands Adventure Zoo Emmen to check out their new-for-2018 Vekoma Dueling Family Boomerang coaster, called Tweestryd. It was also my first time at this park. Wildlands isn't really a theme park, it is more of a very well themed zoo, with a few rides and, as of 2018, with a coaster.

I am normally not a massive fan of zoo's, but I was really impressed with Wildlands. Most areas were very well themed, and I really loved the atmosphere in the park with themed music playing in every area. Of course, the main reason for visiting this park was Tweestryd, the new Dueling Family Boomerang. But Wildlands has much more to offer: there are shows, a few solid rides and, obviously, the animals. Also, the animal enclosures were gigantic, and there were barely any fences. Everyting looked natural.

The weather that day was absolutely perfect, but crowds were very light, despite it being a holiday. Serenga Safari, the park's Safari Jeep ride, had the longest wait in the park, topping out at 20 minutes. Tweestryd was a walk-on, every single time.

DSC_0745.JPG
Welcome to Wildlands Adventure Zoo!

DSC_0746.JPG
Let's start in the Nortica themed area.

DSC_0747.JPG
This one's really enjoying the sunshine,

DSC_0751.JPG
while the other sea lions are having a nice swim.

DSC_0750.JPG
Arctic 1 was the first ride of the day. It is a 4D simulator themed to a Nordic mission, but - you guessed it - gone wrong. I am not a fan of these kind of rides. The movement of the seats was very jerky, but the visuals itself were one of the best I have seen. But still, it is not my kind of ride.

DSC_0754.JPG
Like all the animals, the penguins have a massive area. This is about a fourth of the whole area.

DSC_0755.JPG
In case you were wondering: yes, penguins yawn too.

DSC_0767.JPG
You could literally walk between the penguins. They came so close, you could even touch them.

DSC_0752.JPG
It is time for the Nortica show.

DSC_0771.JPG
It's a sea lion show that was pretty okay, nothing special. The stage looked nice, though.

DSC_0763.JPG
Terra Explorer was next. It is an educational ride where you step in an elevator that takes you down into the earth's crust, telling you about the history of the animals.

DSC_0759.JPG
One of my favorite animals; the polar bears.

DSC_0762.JPG
Seems like he's really enjoying his meal.

DSC_0777.JPG
Let's explore Serenga.

DSC_0886.JPG
It is the area themed to the savanna and desert.

DSC_0782.JPG
"I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!"

DSC_0884.JPG
You can get real close to all the smaller animals.

DSC_0787.JPG
I really liked the look of this area.

DSC_0880.JPG
Also, the park is home to lots of play equipment for the kids.

DSC_0789.JPG
Even the hippo's are having a sleep.

DSC_0793.JPG
This is the enclosure for the lions, complete with Pride Rock. But sadly, no lions today..

DSC_0800.JPG
Serenga Safari is the most popular ride at Wildlands.

DSC_0796.JPG
It takes you around all the major animals in Serenga, so you can get really close to ...

DSC_0802.JPG
the ostriches, ...

DSC_0803.JPG
the zebras, ...

DSC_0810.JPG
and even the giraffes.

DSC_0805.JPG
The safari also takes you to the desert and the camels.

DSC_0875.JPG
And if you're lucky, you can get very close to them!

DSC_0815.JPG
That are a whole lot of baboons.

DSC_0819.JPG
These two were having a small discussion about who would get the piece of fruit.

DSC_0821.JPG
The rhino's were enjoying the beautiful weather.

DSC_0826.JPG
There are lots of places where you can eat at Wildlands, all very well themed.

Tweestryd (6/10)
Tweestryd is the second Family Boomerang I've done, the first one being Raik at Phantasialand. While Raik has the better theming, Tweestryd wins at every other category; the layout is much better, you get more airtime and it duels. It is also a very smooth ride, probably one of the smoothest family coasters I have experienced. I definitely prefered the front, because you get some good pops of floater air and you travel all the way up the spike before starting the backwards journey, while the airtime in the back is almost non-existent. Overall, Tweestryd is a very fun family coaster and a great addition to this park.

DSC_0840.JPG
It is finally time to ride Baron 1898! I mean, Tweestryd..

DSC_0861.JPG
It's a very fun family coaster.

DSC_0844.JPG
You can either choose red or blue, each representing a different charity. Money will be donated to the charity of the winning side.

DSC_0842.JPG
I definitely prefer Tweestryd over Raik.

DSC_0850.JPG
And the fact that it duels makes it even better.

DSC_0866.JPG
The front gives you some nice floater airtime.

DSC_0868.JPG
Going up its lift hill, backwards.

DSC_0858.JPG
You get some great interactions with the other train.

DSC_0834.JPG
Tweestryd is one of the smoothest family coasters I have done.

DSC_0860.JPG
It is a great addition to this park.

DSC_0887.JPG
Lots of theming everywhere you look.

DSC_0888.JPG
The last themed area to explore - Jungola.

DSC_0898.JPG
Which is home to a baby elephant!

DSC_0904.JPG
All of them are enjoying a nice cold shower.

DSC_0912.JPG
What is this little boy looking at?

DSC_0915.JPG
Really focused on getting that branch.

DSC_0916.JPG
I love random theming like this.

DSC_0917.JPG
The entrance to Rimbula, where you go deep into the jungle.

DSC_0918.JPG
The jungle is home to lots of beautiful birds.

DSC_0921.JPG
And some Madagascar favorites.

DSC_0924.JPG
The last ride of the day was Rimbula River - a boat ride that takes you on a journey through the jungle.

DSC_0928.JPG
The entrance to the ride.

DSC_0926.JPG
Lots of great theming everywhere you look.

DSC_0930.JPG
One last look at the baby elephant to end the report.

So overall, I had a great time at this park. The highlight of the day was clearly Tweestryd, followed by Serenga Safari. Like I said earlier, I am normally not a big fan of zoo's, but I really enjoyed Wildlands. The big animal enclosures and great theming makes this a must visit if you are in the area and really like animals (and there are two credits as well).

Thanks for reading.
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Wildfire - Kolmården 3. Shambhala - PortAventura 4. Taron - Phantasialand 5. Helix - Liseberg 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Lech Coaster - Legendia 8. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 9. Goliath - Walibi Holland 10. Silver Star - Europa-Park

Coasters: 232 || Parks: 44

Slagharen || Plopsa Coevorden || Waarbeek || Liseberg || Kolmården || Gröna Lund || Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach || Thorpe Park

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:23 am

Thanks so much for sharing! I honestly hadn't heard of this park before I saw construction photos of Tweestryd hit the net, so it is neat to see how much more to the park there is than just this new set of coasters!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby JordyC » Tue May 22, 2018 9:41 am

You're welcome. To be honest, before Tweestryd, I had also never heard of this park. But I really enjoyed Wildlands, and not only because of the coasters, but because of the park in general. So I understand why they build that ride; to let more people know about Wildlands and, possibly, visit this great zoo/park.
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Wildfire - Kolmården 3. Shambhala - PortAventura 4. Taron - Phantasialand 5. Helix - Liseberg 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Lech Coaster - Legendia 8. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 9. Goliath - Walibi Holland 10. Silver Star - Europa-Park

Slagharen || Plopsa Coevorden || Waarbeek || Liseberg || Kolmården || Gröna Lund || Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach || Thorpe Park

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue May 22, 2018 12:08 pm

Just getting caught up on this thread now. All the reports are great! I love all the photos and detailed ride reviews.

Parque Warner Madrid looks to be a really well themed park. That flume really has my attention along with the coasters. I too love the B&M loopers with straight drops like Hydra and Medusa and wish more had them. Out of curiosity, did you see Stunt Fall run in the rain? SFNE doesn't run their's in rain (granted it often doesn't run in the sun either).

Walibi Belgium's coaster collection didn't seem all that impressive, but the addition of Pulsar, Tiki Waka, and the additional coasters coming make it a park I want to hit someday. That flume looks really odd too (in a good way).

I had never heard of that zoo, but dueling family boomerangs look pretty cool. I'm just glad they didn't try dueling the regular ones. :lol:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Disney California Adventure & Disneyland

Postby JordyC » Tue May 22, 2018 2:04 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:Just getting caught up on this thread now. All the reports are great! I love all the photos and detailed ride reviews.

Thanks!

Canobie Coaster wrote:Parque Warner Madrid looks to be a really well themed park. That flume really has my attention along with the coasters. I too love the B&M loopers with straight drops like Hydra and Medusa and wish more had them. Out of curiosity, did you see Stunt Fall run in the rain? SFNE doesn't run their's in rain (granted it often doesn't run in the sun either).

Parque Warner surely is a very well themed park, even better than I expected.
Rio Bravo (the flume) is the best non-coaster at the park. If the weather wasn't that bad that day, I would have ridden it a whole lot more. And I still can't get over the fact that I almost flew out of the boat on that "special element" after the first drop..
All the coasters were running all day, so also Stunt Fall. I even had my first two rides on it when it was pouring it down. Here in Europe, we don't shut our coasters down for a slight drizzle :p

Canobie Coaster wrote:Walibi Belgium's coaster collection didn't seem all that impressive, but the addition of Pulsar, Tiki Waka, and the additional coasters coming make it a park I want to hit someday. That flume looks really odd too (in a good way).

I completely agree with you. The coasters at Walibi Belgium are all okay, but with Pulsar and Tiki-Waka they are going in the right direction. All eyes are now on the 2021 hyper coaster!

Canobie Coaster wrote:I had never heard of that zoo, but dueling family boomerangs look pretty cool. I'm just glad they didn't try dueling the regular ones. :lol:

:lmao: Now, that would've been something!
Quality Over Quantity

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue May 22, 2018 2:19 pm

^ Running rides in the rain is one of the things I loved about European parks. Six Flags New England actually does a good job keeping things open even in downpours (Superman rides are borderline painful when this happens), but Goliath can't run if it's as much as a sprinkle. Interesting to know it's not inherent in all giant inverted boomerangs.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Disney California Adventure & Disneyland

Postby JordyC » Wed May 23, 2018 2:35 am

^It certainly is very interesting that Goliath doesn't run in the rain, because the first part of the day it was absolutely pouring it down, and Stunt Fall was still running fine.
Quality Over Quantity

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu May 24, 2018 4:52 am

The zoo looks nice (well themed), and Tweestryd does look like an improved version of Phantasialand's Raik.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby MartinNL » Thu May 24, 2018 10:39 am

Great to see a report from Wildlands, I was there that same day!
This park is almost in my backyard.

Sad to know that the park struggles with a lot of criticism and disappointing visiter numbers.
It is a brand new park, opened in 2016, as a 'replacement' of the old beloved zoo "Noorder Dierenpark".
They wanted to create a Dutch "Animal Kingdom", not just an ordinary zoo but an adventurepark with animals in big natural habitats, themed area's and rides. As far as I know, they have plans to build more coasters and rides in the future.

Tweestryd opened just this april and is a great addition tot the park! It is one of the quietest coasters around and a great ride for families, but it is very short, a ride only takes 39 seconds...

Postby JordyC » Thu May 24, 2018 10:39 am

cfc wrote:The zoo looks nice (well themed), and Tweestryd does look like an improved version of Phantasialand's Raik.

I was pleasantly surprised about the zoo itself, the theming was much better than I expected it to be.
While Raik has the better theming, I prefered Tweestryd in every other way. It's a better than average family coaster.
Quality Over Quantity

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!