TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

Off topic, but hey its beer and it used to be part of visiting The Old Country, aka BGW. The good news, brewery tours are coming back to Anheuser Busch in Williamsburg, on select weekends this summer! The bad news is the tours are not free, they cost $25. Tours are Friday, Saturday, and Sunday the first weekend of June, July, August, and September.

News story here:

wtkr.com/2018/05/04/anheuser-busch-williamsburg-brewery-opens-for-limited-pop-up-tours-this-summer/

Book here:

www.budweisertours.com/locations/williamsburg.html#id=beermaster-tour-williamsburg

I wouldn't mind seeing a version of "Cobra's Curse" themed to Irish myth.

Honestly I couldn't care less of the theme, but a family spinning coaster would be perfect for BGW. Something for the kiddos that aren't tall enough for InvadR but are too old for Alpine Express. Me likey.

Can we assume the tour will include free pints? They're being a little dodgy about that very important detail.

Agreed. While the ride didn't change my life it was good fun and better than expected.

The tour will include samples of AB products directly from a "finishing tank." Then again, you can probably have the same experience drinking tap water.

Edited by cfc

The tour will include samples of AB products directly from a "finishing tank." Then again, you can probably have the same experience drinking tap water.

wow. . memories of when we used to do the tour in Houston (even as a kiddo, they let us try the final products at the end of the tour).

I'm on board with this. You could do a lot with a leprechaun theme...

or sell BGW and BGT to the Guinness people. Ramp up the beer selection. Call the ride "Drowning Shamrock"

Here is some more info in the brewery tours:

News link

They are calling it "pop-up" tours and are on a first come first serve basis on select days.

Public tours are available on the following weekends:

June 1

June 2 – June 3

July 7 – 8

August 4 – 5

September 1 – September 2

On Fridays, tours are at 10 a.m., 12 p.m., 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. Then on Saturdays and Sundays tour times are 10 a.m., 12 p.m., 2 p.m., 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.

Guests will be able to have a unique behind-the-scenes look at the art of brewing Budweiser. The tour includes visits to brewing, the lagering and finishing cellars, packaging, and a sample directly from a finishing tank for those 21+.

The cost of the tour is $25 for guests 21 and over and $10 for guests aged 13 to 20. Anyone under the age of 13 is not permitted to join the tour.

The Anheuser-Busch Williamsburg Brewery opened in 1972 and brews beer enjoyed by residents in Virginia, District of Columbia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, West Virginia, Kentucky, and Georgia.

(I was hoping for 5 golden tickets hidden in select cases throughout the summer)

I wonder if you can choose what you want to sample. All of this is piss except Shock Top and Landshark, although I'm not above Hurricane Malt.

Oh who am I kidding. With Alpengeist & Griffon so close I'll probably never do this.

I get where they're coming from. Kings Dominion has definitely taken the lead in terms of major thrill rides in the area. But I don't think getting a proper family coaster would prevent BGW from also installing something more thrilling shortly after.

Amusement Parks don't "need" any rides to be added they just need money and attendance to continue operations. BGW could not add a single ride for 25 years and still be operating with solid attendance.

EDIT: Sometimes coaster enthusiasts like to use "this park needs" as a word filter for "I want this park to have this because I want it, me"

BGW could not add a single ride for 25 years and still be operating with solid attendance.

Bring BGT's beer sample program over here, and they could probably pull that off.

Their yearly additions could be an expanded beer selection for those 25 years each year

I get where they're coming from. Kings Dominion has definitely taken the lead in terms of major thrill rides in the area. But I don't think getting a proper family coaster would prevent BGW from also installing something more thrilling shortly after.

They already have a proper family coaster

They really don't have a proper family coaster. The two "family" coasters at BGW have height requirements of 46" (Invadr) and 48" (Verbolten). When I think of family coasters, I think of rides with 40-42" height requirements that the whole family can ride together. (Most kids hit 42" by the time they are 5 years old.)

They already have a proper family coaster

They really don't have a proper family coaster. The two "family" coasters at BGW have height requirements of 46" (Invadr) and 48" (Verbolten). When I think of family coasters, I think of rides with 40-42" height requirements that the whole family can ride together. (Most kids hit 42" by the time they are 5 years old.)

Then decrease the limit of Invadr and stop overspending on family rides.

Sometimes coaster enthusiasts like to use "this park needs" as a word filter for "I want this park to have this because I want it, me"

Hey, look at that, someone is actually making some sense!

Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion are different. While the parks share a physical demographic, their clientele are different. Kings Dominion is an exciting coaster park with a few hotels scattered throughout the immediate area. Busch Gardens Williamsburg is a landscaped theme park, in an already tourism-friendly area, that just so happens to have a few really good coasters in it. Kings Dominion has the better coasters, for sure, but it can't match the selection of shows, good food, and beautiful vistas that Busch Gardens provides.

Are we really so spoiled that a park is "losing ground" only because they haven't one-upped another park in the past few years? There's something to be said about a slow and steady business model. Does anyone realize that Busch Gardens had literally no new "headlining" coaster additions for eight years (Apollo's Chariot to Griffon)? In fact, the only other major new attractions that I can recall happening in that period were the Ireland renovation in 2001 and Curse of DarKastle in 2005. In my opinion, a park doesn't have to continually one-up themselves or their competitors to continue to grow - they just have to keep delivering a great experience.

I consider Verbolten as aggressive as Loch Ness Monster if not more so. I guess some would call it family, I sure wouldn't. InvadR's intensity is appropriate for a lower minimum height, though. And that brings me to...

Then decrease the limit of Invadr and stop overspending on family rides.

48" is par for most GCIs, Joris en de Draak is the equivalent of 42"/44", though. BGW should get with GCI and make whatever modifications necessary to get that minimum height down. Probably wouldn't cost as much as a large new ride for this minimum height.

Are we really so spoiled that a park is "losing ground" only because they haven't one-upped another park in the past few years? There's something to be said about a slow and steady business model. Does anyone realize that Busch Gardens had literally no new "headlining" coaster additions for eight years (Apollo's Chariot to Griffon)? In fact, the only other major new attractions that I can recall happening in that period were the Ireland renovation in 2001 and Curse of DarKastle in 2005. In my opinion, a park doesn't have to continually one-up themselves or their competitors to continue to grow - they just have to keep delivering a great experience.

On top of that, KD had an eight-year gap between I305 and TT.