TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Chick Fil A in parks is still dumb to me but whatever it must be working out.

Yeah, I honestly couldn't care less about it being there. It's one of those places I'd personally flat out never eat at for a number of reasons. Now, on the other hand... who do I talk to about getting some Shake Shack franchising opportunities at parks like CP?

At this point I'm not sure when I'm going to get back to Cedar Point. I was hoping to make the journey westward towards the end of May, but my son doesn't want to go back until he hits that 52" mark so he can finally get on Maverick, TTD, Valravn, Gatekeeper, and Wicked Twister. (Can't blame him for that, it's gotta be torture seeing these and knowing you won't be able to get on them.) At the current moment he's about 1.5 to 2 inches shy. So unless he hits a mega growth spurt sometime over the next two months, we may not make it out there until the late summer/early fall season. Thankfully, I don't think Steel Vengeance is going anywhere.

^Protein supplements, growth hormones, steroids, and thick soled shoes!

https://www.shoes.com/dr-martens-3989-5-eye-brogue-bex-sole/9212/9212?cm_mmc=googleproductads_pla-_-none-_-none-_-none

Looks like I am actually getting a Platinum pass this year. Kings Island is my home park but we will have at least 4 days at Cedar Point this summer and one day at Carowinds.

Sounds like you're going to have a hell of a summer.

^For reasons I cannot pinpoint, that #7 pic reminds me of Lightning Rod's lift sans the terrain it sits on.

I know it's obvious, but would a launch have made this thing even more AWESOME? Or would that be overkill due to the existing ejector air and lengthy layout?

I think Cedar Point would rather have the reliability of a traditional chain lift roller coaster on a record breaking attraction. I think Steel Vengeance will be cutting edge enough. Not only that, but as silly as it may sound if they pull out all of the stops on this ride, where do they go from there? I could be completely wrong about that.

Unless I'm missing something, it almost seems like STR was the straw that broke the camel's back for Cedar Fair taking the risk on less reliable attractions. I see a pattern throughout Cedar Fair parks involving more reliable and proven rides with heavy investments toward B&M and GCI. I think RMC had proven themselves before they went all in with the transition from Mean Streak to Steel Vengeance.

Not only that, but as silly as it may sound if they pull out all of the stops on this ride, where do they go from there? I could be completely wrong about that.

Well, they pulled out all the stops for Top Thrill Dragster, and then there was Maverick. Innovation is often surprising.

Oh, no doubt and I thought of that. More in reference to Maverick, than Top Thrill, since it's kind of a jack of all trades. Like I said, I could be totally wrong, which isn't unfamiliar territory for me. I don't think the cost of the launched lift would be worth putting out all of the stops and it might unnecessarily heighten expectations.

On a side note and speaking of heightening expectations, I'd be curious to see where the park is headed for the next several years. There's such an incredible offering of roller coasters and rides that I wonder if the majority of their capital will be going toward smaller additions and general improvements, while the majority of the focus is around their resort and lodging.

wonder if the majority of their capital will be going toward smaller additions and general improvements

I'm convinced that this is the current state of the industry in general. The 90s era where everything had to be XTREEEM!!! just isn't what anyone's trying to do anymore. Smaller unique rides (at least unique to the region) can pull in almost as many people as a giant headline grabber like Fury 325, and that's good enough for most parks.

That said, SteVen is Cedar Point's fifth coaster in the last 6 years, beginning with Gatekeeper, so even though some of those were smaller projects, they're really not slowing down.

At the current moment he's about 1.5 to 2 inches shy. So unless he hits a mega growth spurt sometime over the next two months, we may not make it out there until the late summer/early fall season.

^Protein supplements, growth hormones, steroids, and thick soled shoes!

531547.jpg.9e3f078971d74787951fe93ba75b8956.jpg

Good news, gentlemen. I've grown that inch you wanted plus several feet more - Bart Simpson

With regards to the resort vs. ride spending: I think for sure there is a greater focus on the resort aspect of the park. They've already been spending lots of money renovating and remodeling Breakers, Express, and now removing Sandcastle and replacing it with the luxury beachfront campsites. All of this while still making major additions to the park itself. I have no idea how capital expenditures actually work for Cedar Point, but it seems like the new attractions drive the demand for resort amenities and upgrades. Whatever the case, keep them coming. I love that there has been so much activity and upgrade on many aspects of the park since at least the installation of Gatekeeper.

Maverick adding the tunnel effects back is another bonus I wasn't expecting. That area around Wicked Twister is going to be an interesting follow, I'm assuming 2019 addition will be going there.

Woah - did anyone else miss this?! Maverick adding the tunnel effects back is great news! Can anyone that was there elaborate any further on what was said? Or was that it?

Thanks!

Cedar Point has sent us a press release sharing details of some of the new changes coming to the park in 2018 as was recently announced at the Winter Chill Out off-season event!

Although no rides were running, more than 800 Cedar Point fans braved the cold and wet weather to see the park in its winter sleep during Winter Chill Out, an exclusive off-season tour. All proceeds from the event go directly to A Kid Again, an organization that fosters hope, happiness and healing for families dealing with life-threatening illnesses.

Winter Chill Out allowed fans to get up close with Cedar Point’s new world-record-breaking Steel Vengeance roller coaster, the world’s first “hyper-hybrid.” They also learned about the park’s winter operating procedures, toured the park’s linen services facility and experienced what takes place during ride overhaul inspections in the maintenance shops.

At the event, a special presentation was given, highlighting these new changes coming to Cedar Point in 2018:

• Point Plaza – The former Park Plaza gift shop, located at the park’s main entrance, is undergoing a complete renovation. With beach-themed décor, Point Plaza will feature a wide variety of Cedar Point souvenirs, t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts, bathing suits, candies, snacks and more.

• Frontier Foldovers – Located in the former BBQ Shack on the Frontier Trail, this new quick-service food stop will offer folded brisket, chicken and Italian meat sandwiches.

• Sidewinder Sue’s – Located near the FrontierTown train station, guests will enjoy new “twisty” fries with meat toppings of pulled pork, brisket or chili.

• Miss Keat’s Smoke Shack – New barbecue brisket, pork, wings, sausage and savory sides will be served at this restaurant adjacent to Last Chance Saloon in FrontierTown.

• Roundup – The menu gets a shake-up at Roundup with bigger, bolder burgers to match Steel Vengeance’s big and bold thrills, located near Maverick’s entrance.

• Chick-fil-A® – Chicken sandwiches, waffle potato fries and hand-spun milkshakes are back. Chick-fil-A returns to FrontierTown in the former Frontier Inn.

• FrontierTown Shooting Gallery – The popular game of skill, complete with animated scenes and sounds, returns in the Jitney Arcade.

• Western Shoot-out – The Western Shoot-out in FrontierTown becomes the popular basketball game of H-O-R-S-E as guests attempt to sink baskets from strategically-placed spots on the midway.

• Gossip Gulch – The new Gossip Gulch stage, located adjacent to Roundup, will feature themed live entertainment, including the park’s Bluegrass Jamboree.

• “Lusty Lil’s French Revue” – Lusty Lil’s FrontierTown friends are performing their idea of a French Revue, but misadventure and misunderstanding get in the way. It results in a family-friendly show filled with live music, comedy and cancan dancers. Lusty Lil’s French Revue will play in the Palace Theatre in FrontierTown.

• “Vertical Impact” – Acrobats and dancers perform in this new fast-paced, high-energy show in Celebration Plaza.

• “Snoopy’s Dog Days of Summer” – Snoopy and his PEANUTS® pals will gather on the Main Midway near Pagoda Gift Shop in this new family-friendly celebration of music, dancing and fun.

• Midway Entertainers – Live music comes alive on the midways with The Traildust Trio, performing classic country in the Gazebo near Town Hall Museum; The Tomfooleries guitar duo will entertain with comedy and music in the Palace Theatre and on FrontierTown’s streets; The Swell Tones will serenade guests with their classic 50’s musical stylings on the Main Midway; the Roving Beach Crew will wander the midways, interacting with guests on their quest to find the Cedar Point Beach; and the Summerdaze Band takes the stage at Cedar Point Shores Waterpark.

Cedar Point will open for its 149th season on Saturday, May 5. For complete park updates, guests can follow Cedar Point on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, or visit cedarpoint.com.

^ Those are some really great additions - although I'm with some of the others about not eating at Chick-Fil-A. No need for me anyway with all of the other great offerings that the park has been dishing out in recent years. The fold-over sandwiches certainly sound interesting...and Twistyyyyyyy Fries? Yes please!

I love the fact that they are bringing back the Midway Entertainers as well as a Can-Can show to Lusty Lil's!

As others have mentioned, it really makes you wonder what they can do to top the lineup of coasters that they already have. But if they were to remove some of the older attractions like Iron Dragon, Snake River Falls, Thunder Canyon, Corkscrew, CC Mine Ride and Wicked Twister, they could still shoe-horn some great coasters/attractions in those spots.

I'm also excited to see what's in store for CP over the next several years. In addition to everything else, I think they've done an incredible job recently of improving their coaster collection to get rid of some of the outdated, stale taste for a more modern feel to their lineup. Even then, there are still so many possible directions they can go. Just don't touch Wicked Twister, please.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

^ I feel the same way.

Out of all the coasters and rides that I listed, WT is the one that I would hope that they would keep the most.

I also like Thunder Canyon because it fits so well into Frontier Town. I would rather they get rid of Snake River Falls and put a highly themed flume ride that could shame both SRF and STR.

I’m planning on taking a trip out to the Point during the second week of June. Anyone have any recommendations for cheap hotels/motels close to the park? Being a poor college student, I’d prefer not spend more than $60-70 per night on a room if possible.

Edited by VF15

Those are some great pics!

Speaking of pics, there was a photo on Twitter from Winter Chill Out mentioning some track was being replaced on Iron Dragon. Not really anything of note, as it was a very small section and probably nothing out of the ordinary for a CP offseason (compared to the "retracking" Mean Streak got every winter, yikes). However it does make me wonder how much more borrowed time their five older Arrows are still on with the growing maintenance costs, scarcity of parts, and just a general change in times. For some the end is probably sooner, for the more iconic ones they can probably squeeze out more life. Kennywood sought fit to bring Morgan back in 2009(?) to complete the retrack on Phantom's Revenge's first drop, due to what I would guess were increasing maintenance costs on the old Arrow sections that still remained. So out of Iron Dragon, Corkscrew, CCMR, Gemini, and Magnum, it wouldn't surprise me if one or two are removed within the next decade. Not likely the last two, but I wouldn't rule them out.

Speaking of pics, there was a photo on Twitter from Winter Chill Out mentioning some track was being replaced on Iron Dragon. Not really anything of note, as it was a very small section and probably nothing out of the ordinary for a CP offseason (compared to the "retracking" Mean Streak got every winter, yikes). However it does make me wonder how much more borrowed time their five older Arrows are still on with the growing maintenance costs, scarcity of parts, and just a general change in times. For some the end is probably sooner, for the more iconic ones they can probably squeeze out more life. Kennywood sought fit to bring Morgan back in 2009(?) to complete the retrack on Phantom's Revenge's first drop, due to what I would guess were increasing maintenance costs on the old Arrow sections that still remained. So out of Iron Dragon, Corkscrew, CCMR, Gemini, and Magnum, it wouldn't surprise me if one or two are removed within the next decade. Not likely the last two, but I wouldn't rule them out.

A friend actually sent me a picture of this. It's not his picture, so I'm not sure who to credit for the pictire.

FB_IMG_1519570496641.thumb.jpg.a11a5f57cc81ab9587f563e77cf6259d.jpg

It's a really interesting observation, and I've been thinking about that lately too. I wouldn't dare make any predictions, and I don't even know what all the factors are (when considering removing a coaster) beyond maintenance costs, etc. But when I think about a coaster like Magnum - it would be unthinkable to remove it now; but there will be a day when it, like all things, just isn't financially feasible to keep around, and the number of people that will riot in the streets upon its removal, will be minimal.

Ah Cedar Creek Mine Ride, the crappy "family coaster" with the same height requirement as Steel Vengeance and Millennium Force. Yeah... that ride sucks, it's sitting on prime real estate, it rarely has a line and I wouldn't care one bit if they removed it.

As for the others though, I don't see it. Corkscrew takes up no room whatsoever and it seems popular enough. Iron Dragon is a ridiculously popular coaster that put up borderline insane ridership numbers a few years ago when it had early entry and 3 trains, Magnum had the 3rd highest ridership numbers in the park last year and I really don't see them removing Gemeni. F*ck Mine Ride though.

Ah Cedar Creek Mine Ride, the crappy "family coaster" with the same height requirement as Steel Vengeance and Millennium Force. Yeah... that ride sucks, it's sitting on prime real estate, it rarely has a line and I wouldn't care one bit if they removed it.

As for the others though, I don't see it. Corkscrew takes up no room whatsoever and it seems popular enough. Iron Dragon is a ridiculously popular coaster that put up borderline insane ridership numbers a few years ago when it had early entry and 3 trains, Magnum had the 3rd highest ridership numbers in the park last year and I really don't see them removing Gemeni. F*ck Mine Ride though.

I wasn't going to say it, but that's pretty much the one I had in mind.