TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 78 - TONS of new Fantasy Springs info!

I am sure that people will freak out that Disney is doing something nefarious with the data.

Wait they aren’t already? Magic Band is honestly the most awesome and creepy theme park technology out there now.

Oh, they are already. But, you choose to wear the band. Even though you will have the choice (i'm sure) to allow the face scanning, people can argue that it's doing it anyways.

But, that's not a topic we need to discuss here.

Hasn't USJ had a mandatory face scan for many years? I remember getting slowed down at least 4 years ago on opening time once because the system was malfunctioning, it was a screen that the staff member moved and took a picture to match the person to the i.

Hey everyone,

Just got back from my trip to China & Japan and I hope to post a TR on the Disney parks soon! Meanwhile, here's a quick look at the Beauty and the Beast construction over at Tokyo Disneyland. The structure is up to the second story, and from the looks of it so far, the show building will be pretty large.

Thanks for all the advice on the Hilton & the TDR!! We loved our stay and being at the parks was an absolute dream come true!

IMG_1597.thumb.jpg.c6803b6cea0384ccab1525289c8c9787.jpg

Here's a wide shot of the construction.

IMG_1601.thumb.jpg.be874bd6d23cceb21079719479bdb650.jpg

A closer shot of the construciton. Looks like the showbuilding will be pretty big!

^ Ooooo awesome photos, thanks! I've been going through all my "usual sources" these past days,

to get updated photos (any photos!) of the construction site. These are perfect!

Thanks for sharing them. And looking forward to your TR on your visit there.

In my interpretation, the Japanese article says the first phase of construction will be finished by 2025. It says it will 'actually' be a third park and not a direct addition to the other two. It says the goal is to attract foreign tourists, and as such, a Japan-like theme is being considered, but plans will not be finalized until May (this doesn't guarantee an announcement will be made then). It also suggests the current parking lots and other areas will be used for the new park, and even has this convenient image showing where some usable parking areas are.

6.jpg?1

While there are numerous possible 'Japan-like' things to theme an attraction around, here's just a few I thought of off-hand:

Tanabata (folklore)

Kaiten-Zushi (sushi go round!)

Shikoku Henro (A Buddhist Pilgrimage)

Kabuki (Traditional theater with dark-ride like qualities)

Shinkansen (Fast trains!)

Miyajima (An Island Shrine... I think they already have something at Epcot)

and of course... Anime... meh

I don't know how much this would appeal to Japanese People, but I want to go.

In my interpretation, the Japanese article says the first phase of construction will be finished by 2025. It says it will 'actually' be a third park and not a direct addition to the other two. It says the goal is to attract foreign tourists, and as such, a Japan-like theme is being considered, but plans will not be finalized until May (this doesn't guarantee an announcement will be made then). It also suggests the current parking lots and other areas will be used for the new park, and even has this convenient image showing where some usable parking areas are.

6.jpg?1

While there are numerous possible 'Japan-like' things to theme an attraction around, here's just a few I thought of off-hand:

Tanabata (folklore)

Kaiten-Zushi (sushi go round!)

Shikoku Henro (A Buddhist Pilgrimage)

Kabuki (Traditional theater with dark-ride like qualities)

Shinkansen (Fast trains!)

Miyajima (An Island Shrine... I think they already have something at Epcot)

and of course... Anime... meh

I don't know how much this would appeal to Japanese People, but I want to go.

+

I really do not think the parking lot will be used for this project. They are already taking a sizable chunk to expand Fantasyland, and they want to build that 3 story parking structure. So, minus those two areas (of unknown size), there can't be much room left. Also, consider that a third park needs ADDITIONAl parking on top of the new parking requirements for the current park expansion.

Taking all this into account, it seems they are looking elsewhere to build the third park. There just isn't room in the parking lot for a third park, parking structure, and Disneyland Expansion. Add to all of that, Lost river Delta and Arabian Coast could also expand into the parking lot there; it's the only direction for the park to do a major expansion without tearing something out.

Unless this truly is all about expanding the two current parks and there is not third park coming.

~ Available the day after Christmas Day...until Jan.05, 2018 ~

The Fuji Cocktail Includes:

Citron Jenever

Gin

Lychee Liqueur

Grapefruit Juice

Fresh Lime

Blue Curacao Syrup

Available at the Tick Tock Diner, Ambassador Hotel.

seasonal-cocktail.jpg.c6e7c35e14470240443b73597638adda.jpg

Oooo pretty! Seasonal Alcoholic Cocktail (the Fuji): ¥1,300

• 4 weeks later...

Oh no! Just posted at tdrexplorer.com ~~~

Sailing Day Buffet Closes Permanently March 31, 2018, at Tokyo DisneySea

by TDR Explorer

In unexpected news, the popular Sailing Day Buffet at Tokyo Disney Resort closes permanently on March 31, 2018. There's no word about what's planned for this space afterward. The official website confirms the closing date.

This was one of my favourite buffets. Not only was the food delicious but the interior alone is worth the price of admission.

I had always wanted to go eat at this place at least once

during my past visits there. But sadly, I never made it.

Maybe this closure is part of the Big Announcement(s) happening in May? Hmmm...

SailingDayBuffet2018.jpg.1d8aa062cb6236383fe7761f6df7f651.jpg

SailingDayBuffet.jpg.7f7b6c5ba17f523c3c039583fa24d379.jpg

^Just looked at Google Earth to double check how much space it's currently taking up...including the backstage building behind it, it's pretty comparable to Tower of Terror's facade:

tds.png.6fbe9801ccc87f20a2165cfd53b93441.png

If they're closing something that big, there should be some pretty good plans for that spot in the works...

^ I never even went into the place, just to look around in there. Well, as I posted before,

I hope it's closure has "possibly" to do with whatever BIG PLAN(s) they're announcing in May.

Below are a few of the "Cute Food Merchandise" things, available soon at TDLR... non-edible, lol.

Adorable food is always fun to eat, but it’s even better when it comes in the form of merchandise! In February, we’ll see more snack-themed merchandise at Tokyo Disney Resort. Including the ever popular Mickey Hamburger, but this time in the form of a cushion!

Available at Grand Emporium (DL) and Sleepy Whale Shoppe (TDS), Feb. 01.

cute-food-merchandise2018.jpg.1aa1b82815e80010acfcf84f47852fce.jpg

Cushion ¥2,500 ~ Mini Towel ¥650 ~ Cutlery Set ¥1,400 © Disney ~ Image from tdrexplorer.com thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.tdrexplorer.com just posted a few new food items becoming available in April in time for the Resort's 35th Anniversary!

And yes, that is a 35 cm long hot dog! Looks ridiculous in the bun! And it needs more mustard. Less BBQ sauce.

The CHURRO filling is Cotton Candy flavoured! And that's a purple coloured sugar all over it.

35th-anniversary-food-preview.png.1cefc2dcde00986c9d0f2f699c996697.png

All available by mid-April.

yucatan-base-camp-grill-set.jpg.95abb4709c0db06b8eec7ac9a3bf90ab.jpg

Yucatan Base Camp Grill "Special Set". And dessert is a creme brulee with vanilla pudding!

^ I'll bet a version that soda is found somewhere in the Resort - you just have to find it!

Flos-V8-Cafe-16.jpg.aa268825e53bb236a694da6bd714b850.jpg

Don't know about sodas, but I would like to find one of Flo's awesome MILKSHAKES at TDLR. Yum!

A little skeptical about this since it's not confirmed, but tdrexplorer.com is saying that a local leading newspaper is saying that Tokyo Disney Resort is adding a 3rd gate to potentially open by 2022 called Tokyo DisneySky:

https://tdrexplorer.com/third-tokyo-disney-park-tokyo-disneysky-reports/

The sky and space themed park would feature a jet plane simulator, moving walkways, and open as early as 2022.

According to the report in the Mainichi Shimbun, the theming of the new park would be unique to Tokyo Disney Resort, just like Tokyo Disney Sea. Moving walkways would move guests around, and there would be no paper ticketing. Instead, guests would use a smartphone app to gain access to the park.

An official announcement is expected in April or May 2018, with construction set to begin in 2019. The park would be built in the parking area behind Tokyo Disneyland.

In a statement late Sunday morning, OLC said it had not made an announcement about a third park.

I have to admit, this all seems/reads to make sense now, particularly since there was proposed plans to build a parking garage big enough for ALL OF THOSE CARS in that proposed 3rd Park area. This could turn into quite the RESORT if it all happens.

And if it does happen and open by (proposed) 2022, David and I will get that to visit and enjoy in our 2024 Combo HKDL-TDLR Tour!

tokyo-disneysky-area.png.66d72c8995753986a1de2ee5c766bd10.png

Could this happen, by 2022? We'll find out this April-May.

Edited by Nrthwnd

Attached is a link to the article that Ccron mentioned in addition to the text

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20180205/p2a/00m/0na/002000c

Oriental Land mulls new Tokyo Disney Resort 'sky' theme park

February 5, 2018 (Mainichi Japan)

URAYASU, Chiba -- The operator of Tokyo Disney Resort (TDR) is entertaining the idea of creating a third amusement park centered around a "sky" theme, it has emerged.

Oriental Land Co., which oversees the famous Disney resort here, is thinking of adding to its existing land- and sea-based theme parks by creating attractions and areas relating to sky and space.

With potential names such as "DisneySky" already being put forward, Oriental Land is aiming to start construction in fiscal 2019, before opening the park three years later in fiscal 2022.

Disney amusement parks themed on "land" already exist in countries such as the United States, France and China, aside from Japan. However, Japan is the only country in the world to have a sea-based Disney theme park.

According to a source close to Oriental Land, the firm "wants to make a 'one of a kind' theme park, similar to Tokyo DisneySea," and is therefore working toward creating the first sky-related Disney resort in the world. The company is considering the introduction of attractions that would provide simulations of flying in a jet plane or through space.

In addition, Oriental Land is also thinking of making the park "elderly friendly" by installing moving walkways, and designing the park in such a way that it can be enjoyed without having to walk too far.

With TDR attracting roughly 30 million visitors each year, Oriental Land is faced with the challenge of how to ease crowding. With this in mind, there are plans to replace the current paper admission ticket system with an electronic verification system based on smartphones to improve the flow of people in and out of the park.

Moreover, Oriental Land is thinking of placing sensors in the park that can analyze the movement of visitors, as well as people's use of attractions, in order to work on crowd dispersal during the busiest times.

Currently, the company is looking into the proposal in detail, with the aim of making an announcement about the new park in late April or early May. It is also planning to convert the current parking lot into a multi-story one, and build the new theme park on vacant parts of the Urayasu site.

Edited by larrygator

...In addition, Oriental Land is also thinking of making the park "elderly friendly" by installing moving walkways, and designing the park in such a way that it can be enjoyed without having to walk too far.

At my age and health, this will be my kind of park!