Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1095: Pantheon construction complete, train delivered!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:19 pm

aueft wrote:Also, has their been any news about Curse of Darkastle? I see it on their website, which makes me hopeful...

We have an answer, but you're not going to like it.

The park is closing it and replacing it with essentially nothing. You can help them name their new event space though. Gartensburg Castle, NewKastle or Oktoberfest Palaste? Comment with your choice from these 3 (only 1 vote per person)... poll ends Jan. 26 at noon.

I'm not joking. :lol:

We thought we'd say goodbye to Curse of DarKastle with this final ride (digitally of course). The ride building will transform into a special events venue starting this year. While the ride maintained a loyal following over the last 13 years, we will be able to now offer new & exciting opportunities for Howl-O-Scream, Christmas Town & other events. With that said, we want you to choose the name for the new event space. Which would you prefer: Gartensburg Castle, NewKastle or Oktoberfest Palaste? Comment below with your choice from these 3 (only 1 vote per person)... poll ends Jan. 26 at noon.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:47 am.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:24 pm

A special message to Busch Gardens from Boldikus:

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:59 pm

coasterbill wrote:
aueft wrote:Also, has their been any news about Curse of Darkastle? I see it on their website, which makes me hopeful...

We have an answer, but you're not going to like it.

The park is closing it and replacing it with essentially nothing. You can help them name their new event space though. Gartensburg Castle, NewKastle or Oktoberfest Palaste? Comment with your choice from these 3 (only 1 vote per person)... poll ends Jan. 26 at noon.

I'm not joking. :lol:

Damn that sucks! I rode this ride back when it opened in 04 and loved it. When i rode it again in 2015 although it wasn’t the same it was still a really good, fun ride. Sad to see it go. First Big Bad Wolf and now this, RIP Darkcastle.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby anonymouscactus » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:59 pm

Such a great and unique ride. This is a sad one for sure. It's one thing if they replaced it with something even more awesome... but... yeah... wooo event center?

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby marth555 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:25 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s
Glad I got to ride it while it was around

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:28 pm

Very odd. The ride wasn't amazing but it was fine for that park and a decent dark ride for a regional place.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:33 pm

SharkTums wrote:Very odd. The ride wasn't amazing but it was fine for that park and a decent dark ride for a regional place.

Yep. I imagine the expense of maintaining DarKastle finally did it in. It was complicated to run, and it hasn't been a huge draw for a few years.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:33 pm

Oh, you know what's a great idea when you want to expand seasonal operation into winter? You close your one dark ride. Cosmic brain level stuff.

We're at the point where I want someone to buy the company. Anyone.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:37 pm

SharkTums wrote:a decent dark ride for a regional place.

Makes me wonder if it just wasn't a good enough ride to keep the locals coming back. We're so used to rides here in Orlando like Transformers and Kong that are, IMO, a "one and done" which is fine since many of the visitors are not from around here and are only riding these attractions once in a lifetime or once in many years.

Whereas a park like BGW I'm sure has a much much higher "annual pass" locals population of guests, and while the ride was "ok" maybe it's just not something that kept people coming back after 13 years. It basically just overstayed it's welcome at the park.

I do agree that while the ride was "fine" (although probably my least favorite of all the screen-based 'shake you around in a box' style dark rides) I'm not going to lose any sleep over it knowing it won't be there for my next visit, and if anything I think removing it just gives the park one less 42" ride where they don't have that many to begin with.

So color me totally indifferent to this announcement. I've been on it a few times, it was "ok" but nothing I'm really going to miss.

DirkFunk wrote:Oh, you know what's a great idea when you want to expand seasonal operation into winter? You close your one dark ride. Cosmic brain level stuff.

Ha! As I hit "submit" I knew there was another thing I was thinking that I couldn't put my finger on. That sentence above should have read....

and if anything I think removing it just gives the park one less 42" ride and one less indoor ride they could operate during inclement weather, where they don't have that many to begin with.
Last edited by robbalvey on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:39 pm.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Dombot » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:39 pm

Awful news indeed. Sad to see it go, but hopefully Battle for Eire fills the void.
1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Goliath (SFoG) 5. Mako
6. Twisted Cyclone 7. Alpengeist 8. Mine Blower 9. Montu 10. Incredible Hulk

"If you trip me I will crumble and fall because I am a poorly structured building" ~Carson King

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!