TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

WOW, that sucks! Poor Wild Thing, I really like this ride but I don't know if I will ever be able to sit in the back seat again. I hope that it is running when I take my trip in a month (I doubt it though).

Well, it doesn't really looks that bad. If the car had become detached from the bogies and fell off the brake run though, that could have been tragic.

So only 11 of the 17 were hospitalized or just not released right away? Unless somebody had a severe fracture or massive internal injuries I can't see why they'd be hospitalized.

Could this have been a misaligned brake or did a wheel fall off binding the bogey assembly? Most likely the news will not report what actually happened and we'll have to wait for the DOSH report.

Do they have DOSH in Minnesota? Or is it called MOSH?!

-Don

edit

Nicole Triplett, 20, of Apple Valley, was in the first row of the back car with her boyfriend when it happened, and said she must have passed out.

"I remember waking up and looking at him and the other cart," she said.

OMG, come on.

But Triplett said she's had enough.

"I will never go on a ride ever again in my life," she vowed.

Good, make sure you board up the windows in your house and crawl under your bed and await judgement day. Another Morgan chucked a wheel so the end is nigh upon us!

So 18 were involved, 4 of which denied treatment on the spot, with the rest having no major injuries, fractures, or anything.

Sounds like the train came back dragging the last car which caught a brake due to it's misalignment and stopped the train rather abruptly. This would explain the broken wheel assembly. A look at an areial shot shows the brakes to be inline.

At least the waterpark is far away from the coaster so no one was hit by flying Morgan debris!

-Don

No dude, it isn't. I just got off talking to one of my friends who went to Valleyfair! today, and he said what the news said. So no. I don't think the news is lying.

I looked up to The Wild Thing.....from the ground. Only why were people running away? I would have videotaped the whole thing. I don't care, I'm going to ride The Wild Thing a million times after it opens again (I'm going to guess it'll be another couple of months before it opens again).

I have just heard that yesterday, that they were having problems yesterday with The Wild Thing as well. The computerized safety sensors shut it down twice, but found no problems. They also checked the ride at 2:43 P.M., an hour and a half, before the ride crashed.

So the ride finally got some airtime then?

What? Too soon?

-Don

9/11 reference!

Whee!

OK Sorry about that.

Terrible tragedy.

If they were having problems the night before, it sounds like the inevitible lawsuit will have teeth.

For the 6th car to derail as thoroughly as it did, and partially derail the 5th car, is pretty catastrophic failure of the train. Are these trailered trains? If so, then it's just really bad. If not, then it's even worse!

I have to agree that all the Morgan 'hypers' need a good examination before operating tomorrow, if even that soon. X-ray those trains, before something worse happens.

Man... I feel really bad for the people involved...

That is an incredible failure. That level of failure shouldn't happen. I don't know it seems that the Morgan trains have a serious problem.

I'm just amazed because it really looks like the final car managed to lose the full wheel assembly(were the bogies left behind?). How is that even possible? It really seems like anything that would have caused a catastrophic failure like that should have been picked up.

BTW does anyone know how Morgan trains are arranged? It doesn't look to be trailered. It looks like they are independent... Is that correct? That would mean 3 bogies at least... Scary indeed.

I think we are all forgetting the most important thing. If that was someone's first ride on Wild Thing and it derailed, would it still count as a credit?

I mean, you didn't REALLY ride a full circuit...hello...anybody...

/Crawling back into my hole

-Don

My family and I were in line for Wild Thing when this happened. We were at the entrance to the station but did not see what happened. We heard the normal really loud clicking noise when the train comes into the brake run and then a loud metal screeching noise. They immediately emptied the station and lines. Earlier in the day we got in line to ride and they stopped the ride for about 15 minutes. I do not know why it was stopped though.

This was only the second year my daughter (she is 16) would ride roller coasters and know she is questioning this. She did ride High Roller after this happened but she was really nervous.

I'd have to imagine that Phantom's Revenge would not be impacted by any potential Morgan wide shut down since it runs on Arrow chassis. Just a guess.

That would be correct, unless Morgan is supplying replacement parts.

How many days has the park been opened this season? Thier maintenance department sucks pretty bad if they can't find something this bad during the off-season inspections. This is an unimaginable failure.

Even Mindbender was actually a design issue, not a metal failure, wasn't it?

I never thought much of Morgans anyway, and once was enough for me on Wild Thing last year.

Rastus O'Ginga

Morgan is the coaster division of Chance Rides, isn't it?

The same company that is renowned for snapping parts on other rides, such as the infamous Chaos...

Scary lucky that these accidents keep occuring on the very last parts of the coaster's journey. It would have been pretty final if the mechanics gave way at the highest/fastest points of the ride

Yeah, looking more and more at these pictures it's hard to believe what a giant failure this was!

Wheels gone, undercarriage gone, uncoupled cars, this is crazy!

Like Rastus said, this will get interesting. If this is a metal fatigue, equipment failure type thing that could have happened ANYWHERE on the circuit, wow these people really lucked out. If this happened because of a braking issue, that is yet another failure to add to the ride!

Very creepy indeed.