Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 988: "Christmas in Hershey" 2018 offerings announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'd like to buy a vowel!

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby KBrylczyk » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:25 pm

^ Not anymore than it was last year. I think we were just very evenly balanced. Last year we had one ride where it didn't spin much but a second ride that was like being in a tornado.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:54 am

Check out these new photos of the Breakers Edge Water Coaster now under construction at Hersheypark!

https://twitter.com/Hersheypark/status/943838347054714880
308D205F-495B-43F9-8C52-9D25970CD6A7.jpeg
AC234A59-A183-4E81-8C57-B942C8306C38.jpeg
E0332BB7-D1EF-49F5-99CB-866F51AA00F3.jpeg
E5B0E6C2-A38B-4B89-9706-60519E6446C8.jpeg
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:07 am.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:35 am

Nice to see that Hersheypark's "cram as many tracked rides into the smallest space possible, even if it means going over buildings" philosophy continues to the water park attractions.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:59 am

Wow, that went up fast! Looking good so far, can't wait to give it a whirl!
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:50 pm

Hello everyone. I'm looking to do a Hershey Park/Knoebels trip early next year and I'm asking for some good advice on when to go. This will be our first trip to both of these parks. I'd like to get the most out of the park hours.

Here's quick preliminary plan:
Knoebels on Saturday 06/02, since the park is open from 10am-10pm. We might get a cottage if we can get past the incredibly dated look.

06/03 will be a culture day somewhere near Hershey or within an hour or so out of the way. Suggestions?

06/04 - 06/05 two full days at Hershey park from 10am-8pm. I didn't realize this park closes so early.

I'm somewhat flexible on the dates and I was curious how the crowds have been in the past on these days. I'm assuming a lot of kids will still be in school, but I fear we may hit a lot of school groups. I hate going when we're surrounded by teens. Again, we're looking for a compromise between crowds and long operating hours. Maybe we could shift our HP day to 06/03 and have our culture day in between to avoid crowds.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Postby coasterbill » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:10 pm

My biggest advice with Knoebels is to go there on a wristband day which would mean saving it for Monday 6/4 or Tuesday 6/5. Otherwise you'll be paying in tickets for everything which will get expensive fast and is sort of annoying. The park closes at 6:00 (local schools are still in session), but I still think it's the better option since if you stay open to close at Knoebels on a non-wristband day you'll spend an absurd amount of money.

PS: The Haunted Mansion isn't on the wristband to prevent kids from re-riding it and being little sh*ts, but it's cheap and worth paying for.

This of course means that you'll be going to Hershey on (at least one) weekend day, and the park will be crowded but I still think it's the better option. They do have a skip the line pass, albeit a sh*tty one and you can always ride rides with shorter lines or check out Zoo America or do if lines get really bad in the middle part of the day.

As for culture... I mean, come on. You'll be so close. You'll pass right by the exit on your drive between the parks.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:17 pm

Yuengling is swill. Go to Troegs. Its literally right next to Hershey. If you're interested in history there's Gettyburg and all that an hour south of Hershey. Wanna check out the Amish? There's Lancaster right around the corner.

You could always do your "culture" day right when you get there Saturday, save Hershey for Sunday and Monday (it'll be less crowded Sun than on Sat, Monday should be much quieter) and then Knoebels Tuesday since that's a wristband day. Just go into Hershey knowing their skip the line system sucks. If you want to bite the bullet, its only ONE ride on each of like nine of the coasters. The park is doable without it as long as you go to Laff Trakk and then Fahrenheit first, and then work your way clockwise (Wildcat, Lightning Racer, Storm Runner, etc) save Skyrush for later as the line always dies down after 5pmish. If you have two full days do the zoo and all, Chocolate World etc. I feel like two days is plenty of time for Hershey. It's my favorite park, I'm excited for you!

Postby coasterbill » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Troegs is a great recommendation. Since you're doing 2 days at Hershey it might even be worth getting a handstamp and going for lunch one day or at least going for dinner after park close.

...but you should still go to Yuengling, not only because I know you're a Yuengling guy but because it's actually really historic and cool. I'm no history buff, but when the "history" is a brewery from 1873 and you get to sample beer I'm totally on board. :lol:

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby VegasBaby » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:57 pm

prozach626 wrote:Hello everyone. I'm looking to do a Hershey Park/Knoebels trip early next year and I'm asking for some good advice on when to go. This will be our first trip to both of these parks. I'd like to get the most out of the park hours.

Here's quick preliminary plan:
Knoebels on Saturday 06/02, since the park is open from 10am-10pm. We might get a cottage if we can get past the incredibly dated look.

06/03 will be a culture day somewhere near Hershey or within an hour or so out of the way. Suggestions?

06/04 - 06/05 two full days at Hershey park from 10am-8pm. I didn't realize this park closes so early.

I'm somewhat flexible on the dates and I was curious how the crowds have been in the past on these days. I'm assuming a lot of kids will still be in school, but I fear we may hit a lot of school groups. I hate going when we're surrounded by teens. Again, we're looking for a compromise between crowds and long operating hours. Maybe we could shift our HP day to 06/03 and have our culture day in between to avoid crowds.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Zach, we went to Hershey two years ago in mid-June and didn't find the crowds to be bad at all. However, it was after school was out and before the summer vacation rush. Here are a few things I would suggest:

--For your culture day, I would recommend visiting Amish country around Landcaster, PA. We did a buggy tour (http://amishbuggyrides.com) and visited some other historical sites in the Landcaster area (Wilbur Chocolate Factory, Sturgis Pretzel Bakery, etc).

--Hershey is actually open to 10pm on 6/4 & 6/5, and I would highly recommend doing the preview night on 6/3. You can get into the park the last 2.5 hours with the next day's ticket and I found it to be completely dead from 8-10pm. I got mutliple rides on the Intamin Trio during the preview time and they were pretty much walkons.

--Stay at the Hershey Lodge for early entry at 9am. The Hershey Hotel is nice too, but it's more expensive than the Lodge. The 1 hour early entry is bascially like ERT on Skyrush, SDL, and Comet. Those are the only coasters open during early entry, but you can get multple rides on each during that first hour.

--Head to Laff Track or Fahreneit at the 10am rope drop. Laff Track was brand new when we visited, so it maintained about an hour wait all day. We were able to ride it 2-3 times each morning and didn't wait more than 20-25 minutes each time. It's in the back corner of the park and it takes a while for the crowds to get over there.

--The waterpark is integrated into the dry park, so there's no separate gate for it. We only did the waterpark one day and just wore our suits under our clothes. (Rode coasters in the morning and evening, did the waterpark in the afternoon.) The slide lines got pretty long though, so the 2018 waterpark additions are sorely needed. You can ride the Tidal Force splashdown ride in your swimsuits, which i would recommend since it completely soaks you.

--Don't miss out on the log flume, Coal Cracker. It has a weird bump at the bottom of the drop, so you get some great unexpected airtime.

--Also make sure to visit Chocolate World just outside the front gate. The tour is free and it has been remodeled since our visit. There is also a nice food court (we ate dinner there each night) and a variety of paid activities like designing your own chocolate bar.

--There are tons of food options and even more dessert options. One place to definitely hit up is the BBQ joint by Trailblazer. The custom Whoopie Pies, Smores, and Kettle Korn are great too.

Hersheypark is one of my favorite parks in the country and my kids have been begging to go back since our trip. You will definitley have a great time!
Last edited by VegasBaby on Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:10 pm.
Coaster Count: 209 Last Coaster: Hangtime
Top Ten: 1) Superman:TR 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) El Toro 6) Twisted Colossus 7) Maverick 8) Lightning Rod 9) Mako 10) Storm Runner

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:23 pm

You're going to love both those parks. I have a feeling you'll be more of a Hershey guy than Knoebels, and mostly because they have beer. :lol:

Stay on site for both parks, really. The perks are worth it. Nothing quite like waking up and walking into Knoebels for breakfast. It felt like I was a kid again at summer camp. Both parks have cabins, and the quality is definitely better at Hershey than Knoebels. Knoebels is more DIY than corporate gloss, which I love, but I'm also a hillbilly from the Ozarks. :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!