TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

I'm surprised no one here has discussed the dissapearance of Timberwolf's helix yet. Let the mad speculation begin! (I'm hoping 2019 will bring RMC timberwolf)

*Robb retweeted a photo of it on twitter this morning

They could be finishing the GCI retrack they started a few years ago, but it they are by chance preparing for an RMC that would be a wonderful addition to the park's lineup.

I still feel RMC Timberwolf is highly unlikely. I would bet a lot of money that this is just the continuation of the GCI refurbishment of Timberwolf. The real question is what they're going to do with that part of the ride. I know the helix has been a very high maintenance part of the ride and honestly it was kinda boring. I've heard talk of it just getting turned into a flat turnaround which i would not complain about. My question is how they will manage the extra speed if the eliminate the helix. Could we see yet another trim brake, or would they adjust the rest of the ride for the extra speed?

I wonder what the possibilities of a GhostRider treatment are for Timber Wolf? Or is it highly doubtful with Prowler in the same park? I mean, Cedar Fair has a couple parks that essentially have two B&M Hypers, so maybe if they wanted a long term solution, they could go that route if they differentiate it enough from Prowler. I don't know, just throwing the idea out there.

Considering that there's a drop immediately after the helix that brings it back down to the same level it entered the helix, taking it out would have minimal effect on the speed of the ride. It would speed it up slightly, due to the track being a bit shorter amd therefore less speed would be lost due to friction, but we're talking very, very little here.

TL;DR version: They can take out the helix if they want, and the ride would be fine.

Another thing that silently rolled out over the this past weekend is in-park WiFi. It might be in it’s testing stages before it gets officially announced for next year, however it was very fast and reliable throughout the entire park. Since WinterFest is drawing much bigger crowds than WOF’s regular season, WiFi is definitely more useful than my painfully slow LTE signal.

I wonder what the possibilities of a GhostRider treatment are for Timber Wolf? Or is it highly doubtful with Prowler in the same park? I mean, Cedar Fair has a couple parks that essentially have two B&M Hypers, so maybe if they wanted a long term solution, they could go that route if they differentiate it enough from Prowler. I don't know, just throwing the idea out there.

GCI has been giving Timber Wolf a similar overhaul to GhostRider, but the work was to be spread over three or four seasons. The work to be done last off season, didn't happen, but with the helix now missing, it appears they are continuing with the project.

Edited by RailBlazer

I wonder if there is any possibility of seeing new trains for Timberwolf in the near future? All the current PTC trains do is destroy the track and the riders legs It does seem that they are always fighting the trains as at least 2 or 3 cars don’t lock or unlock the restraints when they’re supposed to. It’s almost pointless to do this rehab if the track is going to go back to being rough in just a few seasons. You could already feel some jolts and deformations on the first drop just this season.

I wonder if there is any possibility of seeing new trains for Timberwolf in the near future? All the current PTC trains do is destroy the track and the riders legs It does seem that they are always fighting the trains as at least 2 or 3 cars don’t lock or unlock the restraints when they’re supposed to. It’s almost pointless to do this rehab if the track is going to go back to being rough in just a few seasons. You could already feel some jolts and deformations on the first drop just this season.

I believe the park was wanting to get GCI trains for Timber Wolf at one point, if the money was available, but I don't know where that stands now. The restoration work also included re-engineering the ride to help make it more rider and maintenance friendly. The sections of track that were already replaced (first drop to just before the helix) are very different from what the original ride was like. The ride now is MUCH tamer, has considerably less airtime and eases into the turns, so it is definitely causing a lot less wear and tear than it did in its original state.

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.worldsoffun.com/play/rides/timber-wolf

Since its debut in 1989, Timber Wolf has cast an imposing shadow on the surrounding woods as Worlds of Fun's first wooden roller coaster. Timber Wolf opened as the top wooden coaster in the world and then received accolades as a top wooden coaster for over 8 consecutive years.

Now, fan favorite and our original wooden coaster gets a new finale! We are replacing the helix with a high-speed over banked 70 degree turn. This thrilling final corner turns riders nearly sideways!

This twisted ending has been three-years in the making. In 2015, Worlds of Fun reengineered the track from the top of the first lift to the first bank. Then in 2016, work continued up to the beginning of the helix.

Tony Carovillano, General Manager said, “The Timber Wolf has been a park staple for 29 years. Over the past three years guests have felt the difference that re-tracking and re-engineering has made in the ride’s overall experience. We know that the new twist at the end of his classic coaster will give guests a whole new reason to ride."

Timber Wolf by the numbers: Timber Wolf opened in 1989 and climbs 100’ high. This classic coaster is in the Americana section of Worlds of Fun. Guests need to be 48” tall to ride. Timber Wolf features two trains of 6 cars arranged 2 across and in two rows per car. How many ride at once? Easy – 24 riders per train. This new featured element is designed and constructed by Great Coasters International.

Gold and Platinum passholders will be the first to ride with our #GoldPass Sneak Peek in late spring 2018.

Timber Wolf joins two other projects in 2018: the all-new Nordic Chaser which is set to open on opening day 4/21/18. Plus, we are adding several new festive holiday features that will be unveiled when the second year of WinterFest opens before Thanksgiving on November 17, 2018.

tw1.thumb.JPG.5fd298cfd1744aab84b8ac3554432db3.JPG

tw10.thumb.JPG.e289ae2dd07cf2c516421fdafc9620f4.JPG

tw11.thumb.JPG.8e577ad233ededb11661d43bf7732b59.JPG

tw2.thumb.JPG.5f2e0c5ab72fbda2b217b89719e927e4.JPG

tw3.thumb.JPG.e210a973f45a5b3dd0a40bb8f368f403.JPG

tw4.thumb.JPG.ea5da07a8cb77e64d6e638fd98a3d492.JPG

tw6.thumb.JPG.84d449f1b56c0532000a1cc2efad5074.JPG

tw8.thumb.JPG.24a24adade7cfeadee8f333d9759ced5.JPG

tw9.thumb.JPG.ce166467567150afae680e699e3924e9.JPG

Meh... While it's going to be a slight improvement on the current ride experience, I wish they would have just shelled out the money to retrack the whole thing at once. These band-aid fixes over a several year span haven't made the ride much more enjoyable. The helix was rough, but it was also interesting and was fun when it was smoother.

This ride has been neutered and modified so many times that it is barely recognizable compared to what it once was. Even with this modification it will probably still be too rough for a lot of kids, but it's too mild and unremarkable for anyone else. I would just tear it down and replace it with a junior woodie from M&V or Gravity Group at this point.

Meh... While it's going to be a slight improvement on the current ride experience, I wish they would have just shelled out the money to retrack the whole thing at once. These band-aid fixes over a several year span haven't made the ride much more enjoyable. The helix was rough, but it was also interesting and was fun when it was smoother.

This ride has been neutered and modified so many times that it is barely recognizable compared to what it once was. Even with this modification it will probably still be too rough for a lot of kids, but it's too mild and unremarkable for anyone else. I would just tear it down and replace it with a junior woodie from M&V or Gravity Group at this point.

Too rough for kids? With the re-tracking, Timber Wolf has been smooth the last couple years until the Helix.

It's disappointing that they are removing the entire helix and replacing it with a single curve. I hate to see coasters get shortened. Especially when so many new coasters are so short.

Anyways, at least the final rough section will be fixed. That helix was deadly last summer. Fun though.

It's disappointing that they are removing the entire helix and replacing it with a single curve. I hate to see coasters get shortened. Especially when so many new coasters are so short.

Anyways, at least the final rough section will be fixed. That helix was deadly last summer. Fun though.

I'm super happy to see the helix get destroyed. It was nothing but rough and it really killed the pacing as it barely made it through the end of it. I'm super excited to see this turn as it seems like it will make this intense ride even more so than it was before. Its going to be interesting to see how the rest of the ride will be effected by this.

I'm super happy to see the helix get destroyed. It was nothing but rough and it really killed the pacing as it barely made it through the end of it. I'm super excited to see this turn as it seems like it will make this intense ride even more so than it was before. Its going to be interesting to see how the rest of the ride will be effected by this.

I enjoyed the helix and hate the shortened ride length, but yes I'm sure it will make that final return stretch more exciting!

Even with this modification it will probably still be too rough for a lot of kids,

Eh, I've got an eight-year-old who loves this coaster, at least up to the helix. It's not a great helix either; replacement with an overbank sounds great to me.

I agree with you that it should have all been done in a year, but at least it's being done.