TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

When I moved to NE Ohio from St. Louis, the park was still called Six Flags Over Mid-America. It's kind of amazing to me to see how little the park has changed in the past 12 years, and yet the bulk of their roller coasters were built after I moved. I wonder how much this announcement will change the look of the park.

Just where is the drop tower being built, anyway? Is it near the back by Rush st. Flyer?

• 3 months later...

The opening Ceremony took place at 1030 and Tower opened to the public a little before 11am. The view is just amazing and the wait is any where from 1 - 11 seconds of drop, with various cars dropping at different times. The ride did shut down for a brief 15 minutes and loaded everyone on and 2 cars went up and shut down again, after this time an announcement was made and troubleshooting began. The cars were all sent up to the top and no problems, they came back down and did this again. No problems. They opened up again! I got my ride in before these problems occured. Yes. From the top you can see for miles, you can see the Arch Downtown! NO KIDDING! Would of loved to take pictures up there but not today! Nothing allowed on the ride.

The Park as a whole was rather busy, and a few rides were not open!

Mostly Kiddie stuff, and all roller coasters were operating one train! I do not get this at all, the park had plenty to keep them going, Operators were the problem, not enough to open the park, Around 2 I noticed major lines and backups for most coasters.

And know on to the pictures!

DSCF2666.JPG.9c29bbe78e28644e24c25ebcf8f4df81.JPG

Here is my last pic and THE END of my first TPR Review official for the Tower!

DSCF2755.JPG.09578461f6a5522e48dabe2ca5424c66.JPG

And the line down the hill to Papa John's!

Aproximately an hour at this point!

DSCF2753.JPG.4a54acbb77de48cfb6174e54ff3df278.JPG

Future victims await the drop!

DSCF2751.JPG.dfec6966976b51f32ea6f5c7ae3e8656.JPG

And a look at the back wall Image.

DSCF2750.JPG.2166d5a529a60cf828d8b5a60260981f.JPG

Here is the upgrade, seat belt attatchers on the Handles, secondary safety device!

DSCF2723.JPG.29c6582e942f975e48dbb3f9e5d039ea.JPG

This is buddha from SFSTL.net go over and say hello! How many Please!

607983053_ViewfromAbovethebackque!.JPG.016aa25ed115da6fb550d89dc4c402d5.JPG

As the line gets longer it gets full!

1870217982_MoreQuelineifneeded.JPG.3b003712b5de504ff06acd8fe7671cd8.JPG

More Que line, hey sattelite truck up link to the world!

355462529_UpUpandAwayfotthefirstriders!.thumb.JPG.c79293527890aa6b948d1ed553f7b9cc.JPG

Up, Up, and Away they Go. Fellow Metropolis Riders!

159839472_ribboniscut.JPG.3e72118b74b05eed2f7eb8b710a6a619.JPG

It is official, the power is open! The ribbon has been cut.

DSCF2710.JPG.8d58137e9f77eba7349405fd99a8ebce.JPG

And to you the Key to the Tower!

1751836552_Metropolisgivesusaplaque!.JPG.3923e82e9c960f22698e91c9f5581b6f.JPG

Mayor gives us a plaque from The City of Metropolis, IL.

848394008_morewaiting.JPG.d579dd11992abffb9c98b0f98474efd6.JPG

And some more waiting!

587171015_cameraguys.JPG.006124d4579a9f0159f7ad6662159bcb.JPG

Hey wouldn't be an opening without thes guys, Hey its the Chicago ABC channel 20!

DSCF2681.JPG.5183e7e209c2c93547d6b6688ddb9750.JPG

Wonder Woman keeping everyone safe, Superman was rescuing Metropolis Junior high on the Broke Bus.

DSCF2675.JPG.2254ddb21214884a55c21ecfc42c6b74.JPG

Justice League! Batman already looks Hot with that costume on! Maybe a few situps needed also!

DSCF2674.JPG.55097422d851c0a2a76764005df0755d.JPG

Miss Metropolis! What a Smile!!!

983387548_Ribboncutting.JPG.1b50cdbb9d5810f075fef65b1f49ef0c.JPG

Dave-Park Manage, Miss Metropolis, and Mayor McDaniels from Metropolis, IL

680222123_strikeuptheband.JPG.0dcacd92600e812181221b9c905d909c.JPG

Metropolis High School Band, Rumor has it the Jr High band was to provide some backup to the band, and the bus broke down!

1132605451_Waitingfortheopening.JPG.83215ddb0d5d814c9e277d844043a63e.JPG

The wait for the ride

387838204_supermanisheremainsign.JPG.299f20c8685ca8fd4fd236c2f24f2cc4.JPG

The sign says it all, The Man is here! Well he wasn't, but the ride was!

Wow, how amazing is it that even after all these years, the Giant Drops still get big lines? Maybe its just because its new to the area, but still, that's awesome! Glad to see not only was this ride saved from Astroworld, but that it also received so much attention already.

I wish there were more good tall Giant Drops around my area.

WOW! Thank you for the update, the tower is looking WAY better than it did at SFAW.

^Mmmmmmm!

^Uck!

I can't wait to get back up to SFStL again this summer to ride EVERYTHING! SFStL is such a great park. Screamin' Eagle is looking good too. Did they end up re-painting the track red and hand rails blue!? Anywayz, thanks for the update!

Nice review and photos!

Couple of comments:

1. Park mgr- Nice tie..lol (bet he doesn't wear that to church).

2. the ORIGINAL WW is HOT!!!!!!!!! (Lynda Carter-bring HER to 6F).

3. Batman- 2 words. JENNY CRAIG (and sit-ups).

4. With all the investment into that ride and theming, couldn't they have sprung a little more cash to put a decent que-line? (Or are those movable que's just temporary?)

5. The girl in the photo had a nice smile, but she REALLY appeared bored of the whole thing (just my opinion..lol).

WOW! Thank you for the update, the tower is looking WAY better than it did at SFAW.

^Mmmmmmm!

^Uck!

I can't wait to get back up to SFStL again this summer to ride EVERYTHING! SFStL is such a great park. Screamin' Eagle is looking good too. Did they end up re-painting the track red and hand rails blue!? Anywayz, thanks for the update!

Eagle below is painted half way from the beginning of the hill behind the station all the way to the break statio is un painted still. The track was reworked and include banking on the L back in to the station and the turn before the final hills before the station! This was redone this year. I dont remeber it last year. They used to be level, like the old cyclone curves, This was built before banking was thought about! This may also be a reason for waiting to paint this end, In case of problems. Seems they were haveing issues this morning!

1358093410_eaglefirstdrop!.thumb.JPG.900a95eb5b059dd1b52316cc689975dd.JPG

Here is the eagle as she looks on the first drop!

Awesome, so i'm guessing alot of parks are getting SFAW old stuff How much better are Intamin drop towers compared to S&S?

WAAAAAAAY better!!!! The speed on the S&S towers is controlled, so you get a quick acceleration on the top but after a very short while it just moves downwards with what seems like constant speed and the effect of falling is gone. The cars on Intamin towers are rolling on vertical tracks and are only affected by gravity once they are realesed. Because of this the speed just keeps increasing until you hit the brakes!

S&S towers are like observation towers compared to Intamin's tower rides!

The Intamin Giant Drop is one of the rides that still freaks me out. Every time I'm at the top of the tower, I still get scared. The ride itself is amazing- the air is great and so is the drop feeling.

Other rides that scare me:

1) Summit Plummit

2) Deja Vu

Awesome, so i'm guessing alot of parks are getting SFAW old stuff How much better are Intamin drop towers compared to S&S?

WAAAAAAAY better!!!! The speed on the S&S towers is controlled, so you get a quick acceleration on the top but after a very short while it just moves downwards with what seems like constant speed and the effect of falling is gone. The cars on Intamin towers are rolling on vertical tracks and are only affected by gravity once they are realesed. Because of this the speed just keeps increasing until you hit the brakes!

S&S towers are like observation towers compared to Intamin's tower rides!

OMG!! That is exactly how i feel about Supreme Scream, starts good and then it just sucks and terminal velocity catches up with i'm guessing, that's why i like Freefall better. Can't wait to ride an intamin tower one day!

• 1 month later...

Shapiro will be at the park around the 14th of this month! Some are saying earlier so he can drop in for a SURPRISE visit to the park, that way he can see what is actually going on at the park! Lawn, Landscape, Bathrooms, are his pet peaves and is known to fire on the spot if things are not the way of the new "Six Flags Family Park".

I my self would love to tell him to donate half of his salary to update our park to the likeliness of SFOG and SFOT, and the Piss POOR upgrade of new family rides is a down right embaresement to call our BBNP an addition of Family Rides compared to other parks in the SF system. Of all the additions here in STL 2 of the rides included in our package can be classified as a family ride! The mini Disc-o and Martian Rocket that goes around in a circle! Family Rides should be classified as the WHOLE Family and not just Half participating in the same ride vehicle!

Also--------The Sherword Forest Theatre next to Excalibur and the Caroseul, looks like they will be getting rid of this theatre in place of a new Spinning Family Coaster like SFNE Pandomoneum or a spinning Mouse!

Why they cant put something in the 100 acres to the east of the park around Tidle Wave Back in the Grave Yard Area!

News report, linkage?

No news report! Just from a few of the employees at a web site at www.sfstl.net

Direct link: http://www.sfstl.net/forumsv2/index.php?topic=349.0 And there are some good credible sources that work at the park that have confirmed the rumor Screamscape got.

And about Shapiro:http://www.sfstl.net/forumsv2/index.php?topic=349.0

Same thing!

I have taken a few of the pics for the tower opening and others and they are posted at the site. Not my site but love the Old School SF parks, and love to take pics and post them here there and everywhere, Going the fourth of July and hope not to crowded for some new pics!!!

^ Yup, I heard that management people were there by the theater discussing about new additions next year for the 2007 season. And didn't Shapiro already visit our park when he was doing his SF tour? Hmm...maybe he likes the park?

Besides, we're due up for a new coaster...even if it's not what I exactly was looking for, a spinning coaster would just be fine.

Here's a summary of the quotes from Mark Shapiro in the news report that is sure to be written:

"New half assed parade! I rock for making that decision because families are important."

"More characters!!! I also rock for making that decision because previous management neglected the family market"

"I <3 comparing Six Flags to Disneyland"

"Did I mention how we have to be more family friendly in order to be successful again?"