TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

You know, I wasn't an instant fan of Toro the first time I rode. I wasn't heavy into this hobby, and while I knew people loved it and made a big deal about it, and I got why after I rode, I can't say I liked it. It was a mindblowing ride in every aspect, but it was such a different experience to any other wooden coaster I had ridden up to that point, and was absolutely an acquired taste for me. I definitely didn't dislike it, but it took me the next year of frequenting the park for it to slowly overtake my favoritism of other rides in the park. Its almost like I had to learn to ride it, and in turn, grew to appreciate it. And it eventually became my favorite ride in the park, and now its more or less the main the reason I continue to get SP every year. I've since visited a number of other parks and ridden dozens of other coasters, including some absolutely incredible rides I rank right along with it, but I still consider Toro my favorite wood and second favorite overall. I'll always come back to The Bull.

That said, I haven't been up to the park since Memorial Day and the weathers finally broke so needless to say I'm friggin itching right now.

Congrats to El Toro for winning #1 wooden coaster at the Golden Ticket Awards! Truly the greatest woodie on earth and is very deserving....

I don't get why everyone says that El Toro is the greatest wooden coaster on earth. When it's really not. There are several wooden coasters out there that are far superior than El Toro. . . I mean, El Toro isn't "bad" but it really isn't the "greatest woodie on earth."

That's why it's called an opinion, if you're riding El Toro and you get off and go ah geez *this coaster* and *this coaster* is so much better than El Toro then you're doing it wrong.

More and more I think where we personally slot top rides has a lot to do with rather minor things such as when we rode them, who we rode them with, our limits of certain G forces, how much we like theming, and a big one: how well our particular bodies fit into the cars and restraints. But, yes, even if it isn't your favorite woodie I don't see how it isn't in like your top 5 even with the caveat that while you don't like it that you can see why for many it is number one.

Man, I didn't realize just how spoiled I was when I was still living right down the street from the park. I'd have after-work El Toro marathon sessions at least twice a week, if not more. One of the few things I really miss from living up there.

The airtime on El Toro is the strongest sustained airtime I've experienced on any coaster, wood or steel. It's not Ka, Zum, or Nitro that keeps bringing me back to Great Adventure it's El Toro! It's a 7 1/2 hour drive from my house to SFGAdv yet in the past 12 months I've visited separate times.

Speaking of visits, some Cedar Point co-workers and I will be visiting the park next Thursday, September 21st if anyone will be at the park. Half the group has never been to Great Adventure before so it's another visit I'm very excited for!

The airtime on El Toro is the strongest sustained airtime I've experienced on any coaster, wood or steel. It's not Ka, Zum, or Nitro that keeps bringing me back to Great Adventure it's El Toro! It's a 7 1/2 hour drive from my house to SFGAdv yet in the past 12 months I've visited separate times.

Speaking of visits, some Cedar Point co-workers and I will be visiting the park next Thursday, September 21st if anyone will be at the park. Half the group has never been to Great Adventure before so it's another visit I'm very excited for!

That's awesome. Hoping to get my first CP trip next year for coastermania. Was just at GA for ROTB on Saturday. If you love Toro you should hit that up next year. Two full hours of ERT on Toro after park closing!

You know, I wasn't an instant fan of Toro the first time I rode...and now its more or less the main the reason I continue to get SP every year.

What about Skull Mountain?

While there are other woodies I prefer, El Toro is still a world class ride. The first three hills and Rolling Thunder hill give some of the strongest sustained airtime I've experienced on any coaster. Skyrush is really the only one rivaling it.

When I was in high school, my friends and I would discuss "perfect albums." These are records that are the absolute best that they could be, albums for which nothing could improve them. This was our way of skirting the issue of whether Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is better than Pearl Jam's Ten or Depeche Mode's Violator. Yeah, they're all kickass rock albums, but they're all so different that it's difficult to fairly compare.

So if I would apply this logic, Outlaw Run, El Toro, Phoenix, and Voyage are all "perfect coasters." They are the best that coaster could possibly be, without trying to be something they're not.

When I was in high school, my friends and I would discuss "perfect albums." These are records that are the absolute best that they could be, albums for which nothing could improve them. This was our way of skirting the issue of whether Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is better than Pearl Jam's Ten or Depeche Mode's Violator. Yeah, they're all kickass rock albums, but they're all so different that it's difficult to fairly compare.

So if I would apply this logic, Outlaw Run, El Toro, Phoenix, and Voyage are all "perfect coasters." They are the best that coaster could possibly be, without trying to be something they're not.

I like this comparison and logic. Unfortunately I think it flies in the face of most hardcore obsessives who have the compulsion to codify and rank everything down to the last minute detail and then argue unyieldingly about why their picks for numbers 1, 2 and 3 are better than YOUR picks for numbers 1, 2, and 3.

I can't wait to get back up to Great Adventure on one of the November bonus weekends. Looking forward to El Toro, Kingda Ka, etc (I know after Fright Fest, Bizzarro and RMT don't run) in colder weather

After Fright Fest, El Toro and Kingda Ka don't run either. You might want to move up that date.

I can't wait to get back up to Great Adventure on one of the November bonus weekends. Looking forward to El Toro, Kingda Ka, etc (I know after Fright Fest, Bizzarro and RMT don't run) in colder weather

After Fright Fest, El Toro and Kingda Ka don't run either. You might want to move up that date.

They have the last two years. They've run the first two "bonus" weekends of November, only Frontier was closed right after Fright Fest. Source: I was there.

And so were you. And the year before.

They have the last two years. They've run the first two "bonus" weekends of November, only Frontier was closed right after Fright Fest. Source: I was there.

Well, poop. My memory is going bad. I could have and would have sworn they were closed those bonus weekends. Damn you for using my own words against me!

Hello everyone, i'm planning on heading up to Great Adventure for fright fest and have two dates already set in mind. Friday September 22nd and Saturday October 7th. I know the park is only open from 5:30-Midnight on fridays but I feel it will be a mad house on any Saturday of Fright Fest, can someome tell me which day is better?

Well, poop. My memory is going bad. I could have and would have sworn they were closed those bonus weekends. Damn you for using my own words against me!

Sorry bud. I wasn't trying. I remembered being there (a feat in itself) and was attempting to dig up that report, when I spotted yours and had a nice chuckle. I couldn't not post it.

Hello. Long time TPR lurker, mostly on the Hershey page. But anyways recently purchased season passes (flash sale) to six flags with a friend and we're going to Great Adventure to pick them up soon (live halfway between there and America basically. So chose them as the main) and just had a few questions since i've never been there. What to do at the park besides rides and stuff when we're there, what are the good places to hit for entertainment, and what to skip and not do. Also the second one is i'm a lot overweight and me and him recently went to Dorney (sister had free tickets) and I couldn't ride anything that i wanted to (im a huge coaster fan, but was mainly interested in Hydra and Talon, but not say Steel Force due to height and stuff. Thats an issue, i Mean i've been on Skyrush and loved it, but i tend to like the less tall and more elemental rides if you catch my drift). So how is Great Adventure's fat friendliness i guess. I am losing a bit of weight so by next park season i'm hoping to be another 30-40 down, and i've already lost 30-40 since i started working out again. (my mom died around the same time as I lost my job, so although i was always overweight it got a bit out of hand until I got to where i'm at now). Thanks.

OK so as far as shows, Great Adv doesn't really have many except like Dead Mans Party during Fright Fest and shows during Holiday In The Park. We don't have like stunt shows or any of that. Maybe a Looney Tunes dance party on Main Street? lol I dunno I dont go to the park for shows.

As far as everything else? We've created this handy fun guide to exploring the park. Check it out.

As to your weight/restraint question, Imma keep it real. With most rides at any park, the rides at Great Adventure, and whether you'll be able to fit into them, depends not necessarily on your weight but on your body type, and where your extra weight is. For example, with El Toro, you see lots of walks of shame. Though I've seen men with very large stomachs ride with no problem, as the issue with Toro is the lapbar has to be down to a certain point, and it more or less lays across your thighs, so folks with thick thighs or fat asses (or a combination of the two) is usually what does it. Not enough room to get the bar down. But you could have no issue there but still be a big dude with a large stomach that you can get the lapbar past and have it far enough down on your thighs that its not an issue. There's also the seatbelt. You gotta be able to fit into that seatbelt.

I'm slightly overweight, carrying most of it in my chest/belly, and *almost* sometimes have issues with Batman and Bizarro, which have almost identical restraints to each other (this happens with other B&M inverts and sitdowns). I only ever have a major issue with these during fall and HITP when I'm wearing extra layers, but its my chest and stomach that makes it where I just need that extra push from a friend (waves at Bill) or a motivated ride op. Bizarro has big boy seats, I think in row 5?

Never had and really haven't seen people have issues with Ka, Super, Joker, etc

Most if not all rides at Great Adventure have a test seat out front. Use it. Especially if its busy and there are lines you'll have to wait in only to be told you can't ride. It's less embarrassing to have to use the test seat out front than to hold up a station full of people because the ride ops have to help you, and then to wind up having to do the dreaded walk of shame in front of everyone. Just use the test seats.

And above all have fun!

2 more sleeps till FF starts on sat. I cant wait. FF is the best time of year to visit. The park has a great atmosphere, great crowds. DMP is by far the best FF show put on anywhere, hope they even make it batter then last year. I need to process my 2018 membership. Im so excited for the new ride in 2018, the worlds first is gonna be great. Ill be ready to ride come opening day in 2018. See ya all then. Ride On

2 more sleeps till FF starts on sat. I cant wait. FF is the best time of year to visit. The park has a great atmosphere, great crowds. DMP is by far the best FF show put on anywhere, hope they even make it batter then last year. I need to process my 2018 membership. Im so excited for the new ride in 2018, the worlds first is gonna be great. Ill be ready to ride come opening day in 2018. See ya all then. Ride On

I can't wait for FF either.... but only for night rides on the coasters. Coming up there Oct 7. They keep saying world's first. Doesn't 'cyborg' exist in parks in other parts of the world? Also Texas is getting one too which could open first.

Thinking of going to Fright Fest weekend of 10/21-10/22. Have been on this weekend around 4 years ago and seen crowds beyond what I thought was imaginable. Safe to figure nothing has changed and worth it to get a platinum flash pass if I want to do the main rides?

Also - any other suggestions for Halloween theme parks in the general NJ / NY / CT / Eastern PA area (e.g. Dorney, Lake Compounce), or is SFGA the best?