TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Robb & Elissa in the USA - 2017!

I'd love to give it a shot when it's running a little better and see what all the hype is about with that thing because after our ride this year we totally weren't getting it.

Yep, totally agree with you. We has some first time Raven riders with us and I had told them how great of a ride it was dropping into the darkness at night, and then I rode it and I was all "oh, nevermind...but wait until you get on those water coasters!"

I hope it gets some love too. It would be like turning up to Knoebels one day and find that Phoenix is unrideable.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the trip report. I really enjoyed it!

I'm curious as to how you liked Thunderbird in comparison to the other wing coasters. While the wing coasters have not been my favorite, I found Thunderbird to be a bit more enjoyable.

Regardless of how the wood coasters are running, Holiday World will always be a park I will visit while in the area. I had a great time, both times I've been.

I'm curious if after doing it this trip, which one you preferred in the end, the evening/ next morning days or full day style? I'm normally an opening to closing guy, especially in parks where I can buy q-bots/fast pass but in my trips to some of the Asian waterparks/Tokyo Disney parks and other Japanese parks, I do end up sitting around in the afternoons when it's packed waiting for fastpass times to come up or crowds to empty out/hit the evening shows.

^We were just talking about this the other day.

I prefer this method of night before, next morning/early afternoon. I also had several people on the trip come up to me and say the same. Here are some of the reasons why:

- Night rides

- Less crowds, better weather at night

- Less crowds, better weather in the morning

- Avoids the peak day crowds

- Avoids the heat of the day

- Visit over two days gives more time for maintenance or ride issues

Really the only negative we ran into is cost. Most of the parks you have to buy a two day ticket and decide whether to buy one or two day 'fast pass' options.

I'm curious as to how you liked Thunderbird in comparison to the other wing coasters.

I actually really enjoyed Thunderbird quite a lot. The launch is great and I like some of the elements on the ride. I would actually put it above most (if not maybe all) of the other B&M wing coasters.

I'm curious as to how you liked Thunderbird in comparison to the other wing coasters.

I actually really enjoyed Thunderbird quite a lot. The launch is great and I like some of the elements on the ride. I would actually put it above most (if not maybe all) of the other B&M wing coasters.

Sweet!

Really the only negative we ran into is cost. Most of the parks you have to buy a two day ticket and decide whether to buy one or two day 'fast pass' options.

I forgot to mention one of the reasons I brought this up is when I was looking into doing a Japan trip I found out USJ has a "1.5" ticket for this month, although I hope they expand it. If it's one when I have a break I would probably buy it. Go in from 3PM and then fast pass for the next full day. I normally wouldn't even think of entering USJ at all without fast-pass but figured if I do go for it, I could do some of the quieter single rider lines that evening.

I would love to see more parks with that kind of pass. I feel like there wouldn't be too much downside, it could boost numbers in the parks for quieter times and potentially make people who would otherwise leave and go home stay overnight nearby and bring more money into the area.

Dollywood used to be one of the parks on the top of my list, but with the Lightning Rod fiasco (trying to build a coaster more complicated than it should have been just to advertise "first-ever," low-quality entertainment (at a park that bills themselves as a showpark), and various other quality issues that have went downhill in the last several years, I have headed to other parks this year...

Dollywood used to be one of the parks on the top of my list, but with the Lightning Rod fiasco (trying to build a coaster more complicated than it should have been just to advertise "first-ever," low-quality entertainment (at a park that bills themselves as a showpark), and various other quality issues that have went downhill in the last several years, I have headed to other parks this year...

You can do a heck of a lot worse than Dollywood, even if Lightning Rod isn't running all the time. There's nothing wrong with taking a year or several off from visiting a park, but I noticed that you seem to take a lot of swipes at different parks. Don't forget to have some fun once in a while, too!

You can do a heck of a lot worse than Dollywood, even if Lightning Rod isn't running all the time. There's nothing wrong with taking a year or several off from visiting a park, but I noticed that you seem to take a lot of swipes at different parks. Don't forget to have some fun once in a while, too!

Yeah, I gotta be honest, that's a pretty ignorant and stupid opinion for someone to have. I really hope they don't actually think this way and it's just a moment of dumbness on their part.

Looking forward to that and your City Museum pics of us. I know announcement season has to be like the craziest time for you guys besides maybe IAPPA, so I've just been waiting patiently. I know it'll come eventually. (Compared to me who keeps putting off my early-July WDW/Carowinds/SFOG TR that I wanted to do and am now not sure if it'll ever happen. Off-season?)

I agree that Cedar Fair has improved King's Island from the great damage that Paramount did to the parks. Namely, their installations match the theming of the areas. The coasters they have installed have been good coasters, but they continue to neglect installing true family rides. At least Paramount didn't kill the train in this park......

But overall this park is pretty run down compared to King's Dominion. KI has the better rides, but KD is a gorgerous park full of trees and amazing landscaping. KI definitely isn't that. The International Street at KD is one of the most wonderful places in any theme park. Full of nice, shady places to sit and relax and interesting buildings. KI's is quite the opposite with those horrid white picnic tables in the blazing sun, right in the main walkways. The entire center of KI is a open field with little trees or shade. KI is really an ugly park. It could use some investment in landscaping and infrastructure, not to mention the restrooms that smell like urine.

But overall this park is pretty run down compared to King's Dominion. KI has the better rides, but KD is a gorgerous park full of trees and amazing landscaping. KI definitely isn't that. The International Street at KD is one of the most wonderful places in any theme park. Full of nice, shady places to sit and relax and interesting buildings. KI's is quite the opposite with those horrid white picnic tables in the blazing sun, right in the main walkways. The entire center of KI is a open field with little trees or shade. KI is really an ugly park. It could use some investment in landscaping and infrastructure, not to mention the restrooms that smell like urine.

While I agree that KD is the "prettier" park, I don't think KI is as bad as you described it. I still very much enjoyed both my 2014 and 2017 visit to the park. It has a great atmosphere. But when comparing to KD, it definitely feels more corporate.

I look at Kings Dominion as an "improved" version of Kings Island. I love KD's International Street over KI's because of the trees, the "parkitecture" and having a more majestic Royal Fountain running down the middle of it. I'm glad that Cedar Fair, best known for ripping down trees for the next big thing, hasn't touched the forest feel of the park (Well Paramount killed the Grizzly area when they built Hurler. Loved how secluded that ride was back in the day).

Before Diamondback and Mystic Timbers, heck even before Tomb Raider the Rivertown area was a much more shaded area but also lacked a lot attractions. It was basically Beast, the train, White Water Canyon and the two log flumes. A part of me sort of misses that as I've gotten older. Diamondback is/was a fantastic and much needed ride but it also took away some of the ambiance of the area when they created the wide open plaza in front of it.

But I will not argue the fact the Kings Island is a much better park now than it was under Paramount, even under Dick Kinzel's Cedar Fair. They at least took the pop music out of International Street and replaced it with instrumental music that fits the area better.

I haven't been to KD in 15 years, so I can't really speak to comparisons between it and KI. But I profusely disagree with the notion that KI is ugly! In fact, I think that KI is one of the better looking Cedar Fair parks, and leaves Cedar Point in the dust in the appearance category! Sure, it's not as tree lined as it was back at the beginning of the 2000's, but is sure has a lot better coasters and rides now than it did then, and it still has a lot of trees, especially compared to a place like CP.

• 2 weeks later...

Our next day was Six Flags St. Louis! Personally I feel like this is sort of an over-looked park in the Six Flags chain. The park has some decent coasters with Mr. Freeze, American Thunder, Screamin' Eagle, Batman, Pandemonium some decent and even unique flat rides and I've always felt the customer service at this park was great, too. Add in the more recent Justice League dark ride addition and the park is fairly well rounded. Would I like to see them build a new coaster here? Sure. I think they are a bit overdue. Would I like to see an RMC version of The Boss? Absolutely! But as it is now, the park has a nice selection of rides and we really enjoyed our day!

DGEzTAdV0AAjfV4.jpg

TPR has arrived at Six Flags St. Louis! Let's head in the park and get some early morning rides on Mr. Freeze!

DGE1y_7U0AEFX9_.jpg

Are you guys ready for launch?

Here's some POV we shot from our morning ERT!

DGGF5c-U0AAReCX.jpg

Mr. Freeze does this to your hair!

DGFG9tEVwAE5Xxq.jpg

Even after all these years, Screamin' Eagle is still a really solid wood coaster!

DGFLVsAVoAAxeDX.jpg

Who's "The Boss?"

DGFLVr_V0AASN9O.jpg

We are all The Boss!

DGFRiPOVwAMQ2mk.jpg

Yep, you heard it here first!

American Thunder still running well:

[twitter]

[/twitter]

DGFV03XUMAAGBA6.jpg

Happy riders on American Thunder!

Fun Fact! Six Flags St. Louis was home to the first "mirror image" Batman clone!

DGFWyYnVwAEsRZ_.jpg

The BEST way to visit any Six Flags park is with a Flash Pass!

DGFWyYoVwAAjqs2.jpg

Seriously who wants to wait in lines???

DGFXZa0XoAAK9mj.jpg

We are fans of this style Intamin drop tower!

DGFXZa2XoAAiRJs.jpg

Who can tell me where Six Flags St/ Louis' tower came from?

[twitter]

[/twitter]

DGFYYoFWsAAqVcW.jpg

Finally got to ride one of the Sally Corp/Alterface Justice League dark rides!

DGFYYoDXUAAZPSa.jpg

It's nice to see Six Flags adding themed attractions like this to their parks!

DGFYnhXXgAMbyNl.jpg

DGFYnieXkAA8tc7.jpg

Did we wait in any lines today? Nope! Thank you Flash Pass!

DGFeYnNUMAAGWm9.jpg

It's time to test our Ninja Warrior skills!

DGFeYnPVwAAKRLz.jpg

Hi-Ya!

DGFlHxWVYAAOjWM.jpg

This is one of those moments where the coaster is better than the movie! Oh, Arnie...what were you thinking???

DGFlHxWVYAEppdB.jpg

I really do like these Premier Rides lap bar trains. Did anyone get to ride this when it had OTSR? OMG! OW!!!!!

DGFlHxVUQAAHHZ1.jpg

"I'm craaaaaaazy evil clown guy! GIMMIE SOME CANDY!"

Remember when this ride was at Six Flags Great Adventure and they could never get it to work? It's always open when we visit St. Louis! I wonder what sort of demon they paid off to make it work all the time!

[twitter]

[/twitter]

DGF3NwlVoAAbKGi.jpg

No, we didn't wait at all Mr. Sign Guy. Thank you for letting us be smug and skip by the regular lines!

DGF7RZVVYAAyxz8.jpg

"Please get this fat, hairy, creepy old man away from me!"

DGF7zwLU0AAJ9le.jpg

I rode this...

DGF7zwKVYAEA7BH.jpg

It did stuff...

DGF7zwKUIAE6uzl.jpg

While it didn't kill me, I still think it could use some RMC love.

DGF8B8qUIAAQQ2p.jpg

Seriously, this ride is pretty fun! I'm so glad it still runs at St. Louis!

DGF8B8sUQAAtibz.jpg

It's actually a fairly slow moving ride in reality, but the sensation is really bizarre.

DGF8B8pUQAE7vM5.jpg

On a side note, I watched someone sit ON TOP of the restraint "Lightning Loops" style not realizing they had to be UNDER the restraint. It amazes me how stupid the world has become...

DGF8QbJUwAAaCK4.jpg

You're welcome.

DGF8Qd0UQAApiAQ.jpg

I really enjoyed working on this series. They haters can go eat paste and moldy waffles. The show wasn't for "die hard" roller coaster jerks anyway.

DGF8Z9rUQAAqHxa.jpg

DGF8Z4uUIAAISix.jpg

I love the classic plaque they have at the front of the park!

DGF8h_FUwAAzBFf.jpg

THANK YOU Six Flags St. Louis! We had a wonderful day!

Ok everyone! Now it's your turn! Be sure to POST YOUR COMMENTS!!!

We took the time to write the report! The least you can do is say something somewhat nice about it! (I'll even take a few snarky comments, too!)

Edited by robbalvey

Great report!

Six Flags St. Louis seems like a really nice little park. The funny thing is, on paper the biggest draw for me might be XCalibur just because of how many times I visited Great Adventure as a kid, thought "Wow! Evolution looks really cool, too bad it's closed again" and never once actually got to ride the thing.

Glad you had a good time. I always enjoy Six Flags St. Louis, and they've made a lot of little improvements recently. A lot of the coaster enthusiasts are going to look at the announcements each August and think "oh this park is getting nothing exciting" when in fact they've finally gotten around to renovating huge areas of the park that had sorely needed it for a long time. People may not think Tsunami Soaker is all that much, but it brought Hannibarrels' 17-year SBNO marathon to an end, and that was more than worth it. I always say you're going to enjoy yourself unless you're determined not too. You and your groups always have a great time because you always have a great attitude. You're here to have fun, so have fun!

Oh, and Superman came from New Orleans.

Glad you had a good time. I always enjoy Six Flags St. Louis, and they've made a lot of little improvements recently. A lot of the coaster enthusiasts are going to look at the announcements each August and think "oh this park is getting nothing exciting" when in fact they've finally gotten around to renovating huge areas of the park that had sorely needed it for a long time. People may not think Tsunami Soaker is all that much, but it brought Hannibarrels' 17-year SBNO marathon to an end, and that was more than worth it. I always say you're going to enjoy yourself unless you're determined not too. You and your groups always have a great time because you always have a great attitude. You're here to have fun, so have fun!

Oh, and Superman came from New Orleans.

I know right? I actually quite enjoy all the small additions and the revitalization of that area where Hannibarrels used to be. Though I do miss the rides that used to be in the Illinois section like Water Street Cab Company, Rush Street Flyer, Riverview Racers, etc. I think Six Flags St. Louis is one of the more charming Six Flags parks and they don't have advertisements on all the rides. And I'm actually super excited for Typhoon Twister! I'm not too into water slides but Typhoon Twister looks really fun. My gal pals and I are already planning a little road trip to go to St. Louis after school gets out so we can go to Six Flags, the City Museum, the St. Louis Zoo, the St. Louis Arch, etc.

(The drop tower came from Six Flags Astroworld by the way. Great Escape got the drop towers from New Orleans.)