Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports Land

Six Flags Fiesta Texas Part 2 Posted Finally!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:04 pm

Great report! I ended up visiting Holiday World the day after you so I missed out on the apocalyptic weather by a day. Meanwhile it was all clear up at Indiana Beach that day.

That's disappointing you weren't a fan of Raven or Legend. I didn't get the Raven after my first ride, but that was more-so because I was expecting the ride to have crazy air. After I re-rode it later, I finally got the ride since it had a little of everything. I am still shocked it was once number 1 in the world, but it's a good ride. It was bumpy in spots but far from rough. Thunder Run was way rougher when I rode it last year. Legend was perfectly smooth, but the laterals were so aggressive to the point where I could see it becoming painful.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Hamburg DOM & Heide Park

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:12 pm

Thanks for making everyone on the subway stare awkwardly as I laughed out loud repeatedly while reading that earlier.

Top stuff, don't stop.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby anonymouscactus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:19 pm

Great report, and thanks for the laughs... though I would have to STRONGLY disagree on your opinion of Raven for sure. Like most gravity group coasters, let that baby warm up throughout the day and you'll be flying in the evening.

I rode it about 9 times in a row in various seats during HWN...and while my nuts got a weird uncomfortable tingle at one point in the ride (wut?) the night rides were super intense but not rough. I love seeing all the fireflies flying by as you wizz through the woods at night. Nothing like it. 8)

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Nitro1118 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:27 pm

Glad you loved Voyage. I got 3 rides on it back in 2006. The first ride was in the front row and I was completely blown away. One of the 3-4 best single coaster rides I have ever had. The second ride was a few rows back, presumably in a wheel seat, and the ride was borderline unridable. My last ride was the last train of the night. I was waiting for front but we were told to fill out the train since the park was closed. I got a middle row, non-wheel seat, and once again was blown away. As another poster said it is a very tempermental ride dependant on a bunch of factors, and I'm sure that is more true now, 11 years later.

Suprised to hear about Raven. The ride was almost glass smooth on each of my rides back in 2006. Then again, I also remember Boulder Dash being very smooth years ago, but last week it beat the crap out of me. CCI's need premium care in order to run well, and it appears HW has skipped out on that with the $$ they pit into Thunderbird and the Legend retracking. It's a shame because I loved Raven.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:57 pm

Just came here to say I visited Montreal (the Tree) last week and also made a visit for La Baquise for poutine. Yelp reviews don't mean shit unless Bill's given approval.

Yep, totally not just a mess. Delicious and magically crispy fries that don't wilt under the gravy and cheese.

Also, I didn't go to LaRonde. ;)
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:36 am

Glad you at least overall enjoyed Holiday World. It was a little surprising to read your evaluation of Raven and Legend, but then I love the Boss, so maybe I'm just more willing to overlook roughness than any reasonable person should be. Voyage is absolutely incredible, and I'm glad you got to experience this beauty. It's definitely HW's hyper coaster, and is maybe the most intense coaster I've ever been on. It would certainly be part of that discussion.

Gobbler Getaway is amazing and one of the best dark rides at any park that isn't owned by a movie studio. And I'm with you on wing coasters. They're almost universally panned by enthusiasts, and I'm not sure why. I've been on all 4 of the US ones, and each is one of the best rides in its park. Thunderbird is my favourite of the 4, and for all the reasons you listed. Wing coasters are so much better than flying coasters; any park considering a flyer should just build a wing coaster instead.

We're totally used to storms out here, but I'll admit that particular one was really bad. You're right that when you see the locals slowing down, you know it's bad. We were driving to Dollywood that day, and there were times I had to slow down to about 40 just to be able to see out the windscreen, even with the wipers on full speed. You got a true Midwest welcome!

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby cparkes92 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:47 am

Bill, when did you go to Dollywood? I saw that you have ridden Lightning Rod. Was that your first RMC?
Top 10 steel: Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Mako, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, SheiKra, Montu
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Blue Streak (CP), Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:57 am

On page one of this thread are links to all his reports, including the report where he went to Dollywood and rode Lightning Rod.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby cparkes92 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:07 am

boldikus wrote:On page one of this thread are links to all his reports, including the report where he went to Dollywood and rode Lightning Rod.

Thank you for pointing me there!
Top 10 steel: Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Mako, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, SheiKra, Montu
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Blue Streak (CP), Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:24 am

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

prozach626 wrote:Haha! Nice TR! Again, welcome to the Midwest with the storm. Several times per summer we have bad storms roll through while at work. We usually wait to see how the incoming front looks and sometimes we even cram all of our personal cars into the sallyport (enclosed entrance to the jail secured with garage doors) to avoid any potential hail damage. Why not put our squad cars in there? Because we are usually out 100% in the elements for car crashes, checking on downed power lines, or walking around the perimeter of a large building for a false burglar alarm set off by the storm. I used to pray that a f5 tornado would sweep SFSTL off the map...

:lol: Yeah, I'm really glad we didn't sustain any hail damage, we had Brit's car so if anything happened to it I would never have heard the end of it. I'm pretty sure we won't ever be taking that car to the midwest again.

Philrad71 wrote:I guess that I need to get back to this park and check out Voyage again (and Thunderbird too as that wasn't there). They were only running one train on Voyage when we were there and it was so freaking hot, we were just too lazy and tired to wait for the front. I should have known that riding in the middle was going to be a crap fest and it was just that....a really, really bad & violent crap fest.

Yeah, I could definitely see this ride being a rough piece of sh*t in the wrong seat. The front was great though, I highly recommend it.

boldikus wrote:Thanks for making everyone on the subway stare awkwardly as I laughed out loud repeatedly while reading that earlier.

:lol: Any time!

Arthur_Seaton wrote:Raven was by far the smoothest

Canobie Coaster wrote:It was bumpy in spots but far from rough.

Nitro1118 wrote:Suprised to hear about Raven.

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:It was a little surprising to read your evaluation of Raven

Huh, I guess if we ever go back (not likely) maybe we'll give Raven another chance then. That being said...

anonymouscactus wrote:my nuts got a weird uncomfortable tingle at one point in the ride (wut?)

Yes!!!!! What the f*ck was that? I wasn't going to be that graphic, but since you brought it up... yeah. I'd never experienced that on any other coaster before, but I had the same experience. WTF? Fix your sh*t Holiday World.

PKI Jizzman wrote:Just came here to say I visited Montreal (the Tree) last week and also made a visit for La Baquise for poutine. Yelp reviews don't mean shit unless Bill's given approval.

Yep, totally not just a mess. Delicious and magically crispy fries that don't wilt under the gravy and cheese.

Also, I didn't go to LaRonde. ;)

Glad to hear it! Especially that last part!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!