TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fun Spot America Discussion Thread

Is anyone else ridiculously impressed that it made it's first test run yesterday and it's scheduled to open on Friday? That's a pretty amazing timeline.

I think for a smaller scale ride like this, it's not that out of the ordinary anymore. Think about some of the smaller Gravity Group coasters that have had a VERY quick turn around: Wooden Warrior, Roar-o-Saurus, etc. This isn't a knock on the ride AT ALL, just the reality of these companies being able to turn around a ride much quicker now than they used to.

Speaking to Jerry Brick at Lake Compounce before this season, he mentioned that Wildcat wouldn't open for a few weeks after the track work was done, because they were required to completely a certain number of testing runs before they could let people on it at all, and while I don't remember the exact number, he said it would take weeks. That seems quite different from this, and that was for a (admittedly major) retracking and new trains, not an entirely new coaster. Maybe it's a state regulation, or manufacturer specific? It does still seem impressive for Fun Spot anyway, and I'm sure this coaster is going to be another huge win for them.

Edit: On second thought I'm editing this because it's not my place to moderate things, but just in general I highly recommend actually reading a few posts back before posting. Reading is always a good idea.

On the subject of the ride, I'm absolutely thrilled for the park and for everyone who lives nearby and can ride this beast whenever they want. I can't wait for the reviews to start pouring in in a few days because I fully expect this to be the sleeper hit of the year.

Edited by coasterbill

Edit: On second thought I'm editing this because it's not my place to moderate things, but just in general I highly recommend actually reading a few posts back before posting. Reading is always a good idea.

I should clarify - an official POV from a park or a ride company is "ok" as that is official footage. When someone posts something from ANOTHER channel or fan site, IMO, that's rude, especially when you know we will be out there to get the footage.

But we can absolutely pay the park or ride manufacturer respect with their videos!

We'll actually be shooting some video on the ride tomorrow as there was bad weather when we were down there to shoot it yesterday.

Quick Photo Trip Report:

My partner and I arrived in Orlando a bit earlier than planned for SeaWorld so we had time to make a quick stop at Fun Spot in Kissimmee. Neither one of us had been there before and didn't plan to ride anything (this time). I wanted to see Mine Blower and perhaps maybe see it make some test runs since it made it's first the night before. Unfortunately when we arrived about 10am they were doing some work on the track and structure so for the hour we were there looking around we didn't get to see it test. Bummer...but it looks amazing! We will be back later in the summer to spend a few hours there and already bought all day passes for $19 to use when they had their sale online a couple weeks ago. I did have a Fun e Card with some funds on it from a visit at the Orlando park so we used it to play some arcade games before leaving to have lunch.

For now here are some pics of the park:

00101.jpg

00202.jpg

00303.jpg

I love Frisbee rides and I can't wait to try this one (Head Rush). It will be my first inverting one.

00404.jpg

00505.jpg

00606.jpg

00707.jpg

00808.jpg

Rockstar Coaster. A spinning wild mouse. It will be another first (one that spins that is).

00909.jpg

A Bull ride? Sure, I may try this too. Another possible first.

01010.jpg

I love Screaming Swings. It was still under maintenance so it should be open by the time I get back. I've been on the one at the Orlando park (same model) many times.

01111.jpg

Kiddie Coaster. Most generic name of a potential credit I'll get when I come back.

#noshame

01212.jpg

Now on the the reason we came by : Mine Blower

I can't wait to get back to the park to ride this. It may be a short ride, but it definitely will pack a punch, and the barrel roll alone is with the trip if you're nearby. This will be my first inverting woodie when I ride it. It's crazy this ride will be open Friday. As mentioned before we didn't see any testing due to some tweaking to the track. We also couldn't get a good view of the trains since they were both on the track and somewhat hidden from where I could get pics. I know the weather deteriorated within a couple hours of us leaving so testing occurred later on that evening.

01313.jpg

01414.jpg

01515.jpg

01616.jpg

01717.jpg

01818.jpg

01919.jpg

02020.jpg

02121.jpg

02222.jpg

02323.jpg

02424.jpg

02525.jpg

Every single one of these smaller Gravity Group woodies seems to be a major win. The two I've ridden in New England (Roar-o-saurus and Wooden Warrior) have better airtime than most woodies out there despite only being 30-40 ft tall.

I love the look of a well designed woodie. I like that aside from the lift hill and first drop the entire track stays fairly low to the ground. It gives the coaster a grand scale. I can see where the speed comes from. No energy is wasted by having to crest turn-around hills. Instead they gave it highly banked, almost over-banked, turns. I'm never getting to Florida I just know it, but I look forward to the day they build of of those out west.