TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Just popped in to say that the Days Inn in Ashland next to the Waffle House is the only hotel in Ashland that is Boldikus and Coasterbill approved, and by that I mean we stayed there, it was cheap and we didn't die.

I didn't throw Brit into that because she most likely didn't approve and rarely approves of my hotel choices.

Just popped in to say that the Days Inn in Ashland next to the Waffle House is the only hotel in Ashland that is Boldikus and Coasterbill approved, and by that I mean we stayed there, it was cheap and we didn't die.

I didn't throw Brit into that because she most likely didn't approve and rarely approves of my hotel choices.

Always quality things to look for in a hotel.

My S.O. doesn't approve of my hotel choices either. I made sure to tell him I booked the slummiest motel I could. Set his expectations low.

Is it weird that a small part of me wants to go back there? I mean, not necessarily to the hotel, just back to Ashland. Of course we'd be there for KD, it's not like I'd want to go back to f*cking Ashland for no reason. But that part of that weekend I look back upon fondly. In a so-bad-it-was-great kinda way.

PS: I totally agree, from now on I'm only staying in Ashland when I go to KD. I'll even drink their stupid microbrew.

Bow down to the the Center of the Universe--or feel the pain of . . .

Not gonna happen. Also RMC inversions are a lot better than your typical roller coaster inversions.

1) Debatable

2) Parks don't make decisions based on what enthusiasts want (and thank god for that). Lightning Rod doesn't have any inversions, while it's not an Iron Horse it really doesn't make much of a difference what track type they're using. Sometimes parks ask for coasters without inversions.

Not gonna happen. Also RMC inversions are a lot better than your typical roller coaster inversions.

1) Debatable

2) Parks don't make decisions based on what enthusiasts want (and thank god for that). Lightning Rod doesn't have any inversions, while it's not an Iron Horse it really doesn't make much of a difference what track type they're using. Sometimes parks ask for coasters without inversions.

Okay but most RMCs have inversions, including one in the same chain as KD, so it's reasonable to infer that this one will too.

Why are you guys all of a sudden hating inversions?

I don't hate inversions. I would just like a little variety. As of right now, NTAG is the only I-Box conversion that doesn't have inversions. It is all about extreme airtime. Something I'd like to see again.

^^-- I think KD is going to be more concerned with variety from their other coasters than to other RMCs. A wood coaster with inversions is most obvious. The biggest difference from other RMCs is, as usual, the starting point. The technique is looking a bit different already.

I love inversions on RMC's. The two on Twisted Colossus are my favorite in the entire park at SFMM cause you fly through them and get some awesome hang time in the top gun stall. I think on these models as well it definitely adds variety to the experience since you're still getting plenty of airtime on these rides, regardless of whether they have inversions.

Took a trip to the park on Saturday. The weather forecast was 62 and overcast, which was great because I hate hot Virginia days.

Bought a ticket+fastlane plus combo during cyber Monday, and decided to use it even though the park was not too crowded for a Saturday. We rolled into the park at 1 pm and stayed till close. Not having to get there at opening is why I will pay for FL+. Most of the crowd were school kids for a music festival. I would say the ratio of kids to adults was 15:1. It looks like this festival is going for the next few weekends. Most lines were nonexistent probably because of the forecast, save Volcano at 45 mins, Flight of Fear at 30+ mins, and Backlot at 25 mins, which I expected.

At the end of the day I got 11 rides on i305, 3 rides in the front on Volcano, 4 rides on Dominator, and was able to hit everything else in the park except Shenandoah because it was too cold, and i'm clearly not worthy to ride.

I went to Carowinds a few weeks ago and got 15 rides on Fury. Not that it really matters, but I can now confidently say that I prefer Intimidator 305. Fury 325 gets high marks for being a very well rounded coaster experience that is great for re-rides. However you really only get the full experience in the front. Intimidator 305 is just insane, and it doesn't matter what seat you sit in. I think the drop in the back seat has the best airtime for a giga coaster. Up until the trim brake, the pacing of the ride is unmatched. The positive G's, airtime, and insane laterals always leave me with the biggest smile on my face. I don't care that i305 is dropped into a field, y'all can have Fury.

Overall the operations were pretty great yesterday. The crews on Rebel Yell, Grizzly, Dominator, and i305 were exceptionally good. All were running two trains, and hitting very fast dispatch times. At night i305 was killing it.

Oh and RMC Hurler. Lots of track missing, nothing crazy new to report, you can spot some new RMC track through the woods on Grizzly. I'm excited to see how this project turns out.