TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

^Well i can confirm after riding it last month that it is still very, very rough and quite uncomfortable to ride. That and Colossus give you a headache for definite.

It really depends what car you get allocated to, they vary hugely.

^ Colossus is fine if you ride in one of the lower seats, that is odd numbered rows. That is one of the things I insist. When the ride-ops gesture to an empty even numbered row, I say no to it, and I don't think I am the only one to find this out, as the even rows often have one train less of a queue. I urge you to ride odd numbered rows, otherwise this really good coaster turns into a death trap.

In other news, Slammer is dead. To pay tribute, I Photoshoped an old picture I took last year, to try and show it in its glory. Such a shame, I am devastated. Heard about it from Thorpe Park Mania, read up about it on their page if you want.

The thing with Colossus is bigger people can't ride in the odd numbered rows due to the lack of legroom. And to say often have one less of a queue. I have never in my life seen people spreading out over odd number rows.

Shame about Slammer but it was time for it to go, should of gone years ago it was never popular and just a money pit with 0 return in investment.

We may be able to question how Colossus rides based on the occasional different seat but there's no questioning how unbelievably bad the ride is actually looking right now which doesn't help. It needs a massive overhaul, the track and supports look so, so bad!

We may be able to question how Colossus rides based on the occasional different seat but there's no questioning how unbelievably bad the ride is actually looking right now which doesn't help. It needs a massive overhaul, the track and supports look so, so bad!

I actually quite like the decayed look that it shared with Nemesis at Alton Towers, it really fits in I think. And I actually have a californian friend who has it as their number 2 somehow. I still don't get why but whatever.

I actually quite like the decayed look that it shared with Nemesis at Alton Towers, it really fits in I think. And I actually have a californian friend who has it as their number 2 somehow. I still don't get why but whatever.

^ I get you completely, and was about to post something similar. I love how the ride looks rusted and kind of dodgy. A re-paint would make it looks like a modern thing, which it is not. It has character. It looks like it belongs in some dilapidated strange mythical land, and it works. New trains however would not be a bad idea. They should not get ride of a ride design which is still being produced today brand new, however with the space cleared by Slammer, a full revamp and new coaster is not to be excluded within the next few years. My theory is that Colossus has two years left (including this season), then on the plot the two rides leave, one coaster will be added. Maybe.

They should not get ride of a ride design which is still being produced today brand new, however with the space cleared by Slammer, a full revamp and new coaster is not to be excluded within the next few years. My theory is that Colossus has two years left (including this season), then on the plot the two rides leave, one coaster will be added. Maybe.

Colossus has a good ten - fifteen years left. It always has a giant queue theres no reason to remove it and maintenance isn't exactly Slammer level on it, not even close. Theres more than enough space on Slammer's site for a coaster that could cross over the path to where I'm a Celebrity is and go all behind there easily, Colossus has so much life left in it.

I'm a bit late, but:

Thorpe is removing Slammer, as Henry said on the last page, but he didn't mention that Thorpe hasn't confirmed whether it's being scrapped or sold onto another park..

Here it is.

Hopefully it will move to another park in the UK. But it's most likely getting scrapped.

I'm a bit late, but:

Thorpe is removing Slammer, as Henry said on the last page, but he didn't mention that Thorpe hasn't confirmed whether it's being scrapped or sold onto another park..

Here it is.

Hopefully it will move to another park in the UK. But it's most likely getting scrapped.

There is 0 chance of it getting relocated, if someone took it on they would be out of their mind.

Nobody is taking slammer. Why would you? It would never run in another park, unless they had some top notch engineers who could make parts for the ride themselves. Don't kid yourself, it is not being relocated, and definitely not to the UK.

They took it down for this season only. They will do major refurbishment to make it more relyable and turn it into VR ride .

Well, maybe if they don´t scrap it and have intention to move it somewhere, maybe to chessington?

Wooooooww! I cannot believe that thought crossed your mind. You think a thrill ride that could not warrant the queue to keep it operating at a thrill park, would move to a family park where the height restriction dissallows its construction and would have even less queues. Mmmm.

Wooooooww! I cannot believe that thought crossed your mind. You think a thrill ride that could not warrant the queue to keep it operating at a thrill park, would move to a family park where the height restriction dissallows its construction and would have even less queues. Mmmm.

I have never been to Chessington and I doubt I will, so not sure hows the attendance, neither about how exactly are they restricted in terms of height. I´m also being more or less sarcastic. Not sure what they gonna do about it, maybe they are just going to put it somewhere in museum or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else realized how much of a massive space there now is for a new coaster. As in, enough room, without adding an island to the lake, to build the biggest coaster yet. If Loggers Leap closes for good, and now that Slammer has gone, there is a huge space for a ride ubove Colossus. The Old Town area is looking kind of dead these days, and the two new rides that have been added are temporary (One only has to look how out of place they are, and the fences to see this).

• 2 months later...

I'll be visiting Thorpe on Saturday September 16. Being a Saturday, I know lines could be an issue.

Does their unlimited Fastrack typically sell out or would I be safe waiting to gauge the crowd and buy it at the park if it were necessary?

Has anyone else realized how much of a massive space there now is for a new coaster. As in, enough room, without adding an island to the lake, to build the biggest coaster yet. If Loggers Leap closes for good, and now that Slammer has gone, there is a huge space for a ride ubove Colossus. The Old Town area is looking kind of dead these days, and the two new rides that have been added are temporary (One only has to look how out of place they are, and the fences to see this).

Oh don't worry, you don't need to fear about Thorpe getting a coaster. Knowing Thorpe they're most likely going to hype some brand new never seen before attraction that costs double the price of a good coaster and ends up not really working, opening late and getting closed 3 years later.

I'll be visiting Thorpe on Saturday September 16. Being a Saturday, I know lines could be an issue.

Does their unlimited Fastrack typically sell out or would I be safe waiting to gauge the crowd and buy it at the park if it were necessary?

I don't think they'll sell out before the day, especially in September, I would definitely see what the queues are like before buying any Fastrack.

Oh don't worry, you don't need to fear about Thorpe getting a coaster. Knowing Thorpe they're most likely going to hype some brand new never seen before attraction that costs double the price of a good coaster and ends up not really working, opening late and getting closed 3 years later.

Thorpe Park announced they are getting a new coaster at TowerTimes/South Parks event earlier this year, utilising the bridge with a lot of airtime hills however that was just concept art.

Its not been that busy this year for some reason so you would probably be fine. I'd expect main coaster queues to be around 30-45 minutes so maybe consider the fastracks for the major coasters. Unlimited fastrack simply isn't worth it because you usually have to queue 10-20 minutes on days busy enough for it to be worth using it meaning its hard to get value for money, especially with the short opening hours compared to american parks.

Thanks for the feedback! I plan to get there at opening and will try and get as much done as possible. If lines get bad later in the day, I like that there's the option to buy single fastracks.

What is the best plan of attack? I want to hit all the coasters and Derrin Brown's Ghost Train. I need to leave the park at 4:30ish to catch a train.

• 1 month later...

I'm at the park right now. So far I've been impressed with everything but Colossus's operations. I went to Colossus at opening and it was already a 45 minute wait due to one train ops. By the time I got off, it was up to 90 min.

Also does anyone know why Saw's queue times are oddly specific? While everything else is intervals of 5, I have seen waits of 11, 19, and 36 minutes for Saw.

I'm at the park right now. So far I've been impressed with everything but Colossus's operations. I went to Colossus at opening and it was already a 45 minute wait due to one train ops. By the time I got off, it was up to 90 min.

Also does anyone know why Saw's queue times are oddly specific? While everything else is intervals of 5, I have seen waits of 11, 19, and 36 minutes for Saw.

Yeah colossus has disgusting operations. Its horrific! I'm not sure with Saw's queueboard but its been like that all year I think the display is broken maybe?

Colossus is a bit of a nightmare at the moment - has been running on one train for a while with some awful queue times. Concerning as the busiest period of the year is approaching.

Saw queue times are no different to others - so not sure why they are doing that as they have no real way to measure so specifically.

Hope you had a good day!

^ I had heard Colossus was getting colossal waits so I tried hitting it first but it already had a wait. Many of the queue times were a good 20-30 minutes less than the queue boards, but with the one train ops I have a feeling Colossus's 70-90 minute wait was spot on.

I had an excellent day! A photo TR is to follow (maybe even tonight since I have a 2 hr train ride to Blackpool). I had heard a lot of negative things about Merlin and how they run their parks but I came away very impressed. They don't have a true world class coaster in their lineup but they have 5 very good ones plus a few nice flats and the Ghost Train.

I nearly skipped the latter because of the 100 minute posted wait but thankfully gave it a chance. It's a really immersive and unique ride.

Yeah colossus has disgusting operations. Its horrific! I'm not sure with Saw's queueboard but its been like that all year I think the display is broken maybe?

I wasn't sure if it had something to do with the Saw films, which I haven't seen.

^ I had heard Colossus was getting colossal waits so I tried hitting it first but it already had a wait. Many of the queue times were a good 20-30 minutes less than the queue boards, but with the one train ops I have a feeling Colossus's 70-90 minute wait was spot on.

I had an excellent day! A photo TR is to follow (maybe even tonight since I have a 2 hr train ride to Blackpool). I had heard a lot of negative things about Merlin and how they run their parks but I came away very impressed. They don't have a true world class coaster in their lineup but they have 5 very good ones plus a few nice flats and the Ghost Train.

I nearly skipped the latter because of the 100 minute posted wait but thankfully gave it a chance. It's a really immersive and unique ride.

I wasn't sure if it had something to do with the Saw films, which I haven't seen.

Agree, Thorpe Park and Heide Park is not bad at all. They truly have some very good attractions. But the way they run their parks is horrible. Thorpe Park has problems with keeping rides up and running.