Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1870 - Grand Carnivale at Kings Dominion
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby defrocker » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:02 pm

Absolutely do not pass up on Grizzly. Definitely the dark horse of the park IMO. You may not want to ride all the way in the back on your first ride though as it likes to throw its riders around and break the more delicate ones. But seriously, it's a great older woodie.

I'm also in the camp of enjoying Anaconda, but really only for those corkscrews. It's worth enduring the rough figure 8 (especially the middle down by the water) for those corkscrews!

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby TBpony414 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:33 pm

thrillseeker4552 wrote:Thanks again for the notes. I will absolutely ride all the coasters, but I look at it like this: if the park didn't have I305, we likely wouldn't be making the trek up there from Charlotte. Also, I loved the Drop Tower at KI, so if it's similar at all, good stuff. That's so interesting that I305 never has a line... even on weekends? That's crazy, but also good to hear!

Are we living opposite lives? We make the trek from Northern Virginia down to Charlotte solely for Fury and the flyers at Carowinds haha. Yes, I305 never has a line. Like, ever. Even on weekends. People line up outside of it to watch it go but not that many people actually go in the queue. Occasionally, and I mean this was only on the actual ride's opening day many years ago, the line will fill the entire queue which is only a 30 (yes, thirty) minute wait to get through. KD's crews are far from the greatness of ride ops at Carowinds but the I305 crew is superb. Make sure you report back after your trip!

Oh and more votes for Volcano (my fav ride in the park), the drop tower and log flume. Berserker aka the looping pirate ship right at the entrance is pretty great as well and you never know which way the ship will go over. If you can find the dino giftshop and make it to Grizzly's entrance, hold on so you don't crack a rib on the ride!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:51 pm

^Thanks for the feedback! I really am looking forward to visiting. Living in SoCal, it's always difficult to arrange vacations to the East Coast around busy schedules, but for the looks of it, we're doing an 8-day trip in early August that includes Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens, and Carowinds--in that order. Can't wait to ride so many great rides in one trip.
Steel: 172 / Wood: 32 / Total: 204
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby jonskinny12 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:57 pm

It has been more than 15 years since I've been to KD, but I remember Grizzly being pretty incredible at night. Not sure if that's still the case, but I imagine it is. Especially when the trees are full. Rode it like 5 times in a row at closing while waiting for the rest of the line to run out.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:20 pm

jonskinny12 wrote:It has been more than 15 years since I've been to KD, but I remember Grizzly being pretty incredible at night. Not sure if that's still the case, but I imagine it is. Especially when the trees are full. Rode it like 5 times in a row at closing while waiting for the rest of the line to run out.

Unfortunately the park has removed many of the trees to the left of the lift, but the ride itself is still a very good wooden coaster.

The only time I've ever had to wait for Intimidator is when I've decided to spoil myself with a front row ride, which is definitely worth it just once in my opinion.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Canobie Lake Park & Six Flags New England- Goliath Only

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby AstrumSpark » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:26 pm

I hope they allow more trees to grow around where the RMC is. That thing could have potential for an amazing night ride.
1.Fury 325 2.Intimidator 305 3.Apollo's Chariot 4.El Toro 5.Millennium Force 6.Diamondback 7.Skyrush 8.Maverick 9.Phantom's Revenge 10.Volcano

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby defrocker » Mon May 01, 2017 8:39 am

I don't know if anyone else was at the park this weekend, but it was the Grand Carousel's 100th anniversary and they were handing out buttons to celebrate the occasion. That's a pretty cool gesture to see at a park.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon May 01, 2017 5:07 pm

Looks like we're getting close to "food fest" season.

05-01-17 KD crab cake with logo.jpg

Get Your Taste Buds Ready for Kings Dominion’s New Food Festival
Taste of Virginia offers Virginia-grown food, drinks and entertainment

DOSWELL, VA. (May 1, 2017) — Virginia is for Lovers! Whether you love food, wine, beer or coasters… Kings Dominion’s brand new event, Taste of Virginia, is sure to delight! On Saturdays and Sundays from May 6 to May 21, this brand new, mouth-watering event, will take place in the Candy Apple Grove section of the park.

Kings Dominion’s culinary team has whipped up a menu that will take guests on a delicious journey through the commonwealth. The festival and entertainment are available to all park guests, but by purchasing tokens, you’ll be able to taste sample-size dishes inspired by regions such as Chesapeake Bay and Tidewater including crab cakes and seared oysters. Perhaps the delicacies of colonial Virginia will have you coming back for more with Smithfield ham and cheese empanadas or sweet potato and roast duck popovers. And don’t forget dessert! Taste of Virginia has that covered too, with peanut butter fudge, fried Winesap apple pies and much more.

The park has partnered with several of Virginia’s world-class breweries, wineries and distilleries to help quench your thirst featuring favorites like Hardywood, Copper Fox Distillery, Legend Brewing Company, Center of the Universe, and many more.

Enjoy all of this home-grown deliciousness while grooving to the sounds of the BEST local live bands. Visit Kings Dominion’s website for the full entertainment lineup. Plus, on May 13, Taste of Virginia will feature appearances by two special guests:

Tim Smith, from the hit show, Moonshiners, will hold a meet-and-greet with fans from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Damaris Phillips, winner of the ninth season of The Next Food Network Star and host of Southern at Heart, will showcase her talents during two cooking demonstrations at 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.

Come experience all that Taste of Virginia has to offer. Your taste buds will thank you! To see the full menu or purchase a Taste of Virginia Combo Ticket with taste tokens and park admission, visit kingsdominion.com.

KD has done some "mini" food festivals in the past with an international theme. I think it's wise to focus on Virginia fare, much like Carowinds' Taste of the Carolinas focuses on that region.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue May 02, 2017 7:07 am

OMG now I want crab cakes.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby djcoastermark » Tue May 02, 2017 7:33 am

Oooh, yum. Food and wine. Did I ever pick a good weekend to come up from Fla to go to KD. The 20th or 21st.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!