TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Bizarro is right up there with Dominator for me. I love them both. Dominator just rips down the drop and all through that first half, I love that its all about speed, and then that sweet pop off the midcourse, but Bizarro has that bomb diggity zero-g, and I like the ending better a little better - I'm a sucker for that helix after the midcourse. Also fire.

but Bizarro has that bomb diggity zero-g

This right here is what does it for me. The lack of a zero-g is my only "problem" with Dominator. This is going to be a classic case of my favorite between the two is the one I happen to be riding at the moment. Either way they're 1&2 for sure to me though.

Dominator is the most intense (and longest), Bizzaro is the best themed, and Krypton Coaster has the best scenery.

I wish Dominator had a zero g-roll but it's still the best floorless because of all the overbanks it has. You actually get some airtime on it. I do want to see a wingrider one day to provide a more relaxed B&M expwrience.

Dominator is the most intense (and longest)

Let's not pretend It's noticeably longer. It only has ~200 ft. more of track and I would argue that Bizarro feels longer, likely because it does more than Dominator, however, what Dominator does, it does better.

I find Krypton Coaster and Kraken to be far better than Dominator. Not to say Dominator is a bad ride, I just don't think it is as intense, and Zero-G rolls are my favorite element on floorless coasters, which Dominator lacks. I do like it better than Bizarro and Scream however.

Edited by X2coasterfreak

I liked Dominator. What stood out to me the most were the high speed turn and the hangtime in the loop. That loop really seems to go on forever! However, I liked Bizzaro more because of the zero-g roll, headchoppers, and more layout complete-feeling layout.

I know Coasterbill is going to kick my a$$ for saying this, but Bizzaro's zero-g is so good that it's even better than Kumba's. I hope we can still agree that the BTR zero-g''s are the shit, though.

Edited by RollerManic

Dominator used to be my favorite ride in the park. However it's my 3rd favorite now. (Only because I've ridden it so much that it doesn't have that amazingness to it anymore.) I definitely think it's better than all the other floorlesses I've ridden (Superman, Bizarro, Batman, Rougarou, and Kraken.)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Bizzaro is the best themed

While this may actually be true by default, let's not pretend any of these rides are "themed".

And I'll testify as well that Bizarro when I rode it opening day at Great Adventure was running like it's Medusa days. Front or last row in the far right seat delivers crazy floater air.

Strangely, Dominator is actually my favorite floorless coaster because it has fewer inversions than the rest. While B&M coasters always do have great flow through the inversions, I like how Dominator has elements like the overbanked speed turn, and that low-to the ground turn at the end of the ride. I thought those high-G elements added some good variation to the usual constant inversions I am used to on B&M's.

In terms of constant inversions, you cannot beat Kumba. Kumba has perfect intensity and flow through each element. Afterburn is pretty amazing too, to the point that I would call it the inverted version of Kumba. But other than these, I actually prefer a layout with more variation to the layout as opposed to constant inversions.

Discovery Kingdom's Medusa is my favorite floorless. I absolutely love the long straight drop and the rest of the layout has a nice mix of smooth inversions.

Dominator is really fast and forceful, but it's missing my favorite element on a floorless, the zero-G roll.

I'll hop on board in saying that Dominator is far and above the rest of the Floorless coasters I have ridden.

I haven't ridden Dominator at Kings Dominion yet, but I'd imagine it is the same as when it was at Geagua Lake. It was a really good coaster there, so I'd imagine it is still good at KD. My favorite B&M floorless is currently Hydra at Dorney, but it is possible I'm not giving Dominator it's fair due as it has been such a long time since I've ridden it.

Any ideas on the name or theming of the RMC?

Hopefully they won't pull a Six Flags and go back to terribly uninspiring names (Twisted Colossus, really?).

Iron Hurler, Hurler 2, Hurler: The Revenge, Hurler Returns, Iron Wayne.

Some other obvious names; New Hurler, Steel Hurler, Hurler Reborn.

I think it's more likely to become Intimidator Jr. than Hurler anything. Or something else to do with racing -- that definitely would have fit the original layout.

I don't think they're removing that much of it (yet?), maybe by length yes but not by weight, but they are taking more of it down all the way to the ground (and back) because it hits that threshold that's easier; the layout doesn't offer much for partial cutdown done on most of the others. In return, most of the more different stuff will almost certainly be concentrated there in the bits that really are "from the ground up". How do you really change Hurler's layout much otherwise?

There is a new video by Joe K. that shows it from the other side (hardest to see from Grizzly and Ricochet), I noticed the stretch of removed supports between the end of the first curve and the remaining part of the first hill after is longer than I thought, basically the whole section hidden behind the station, they have a lot there to work with. The other recent pic shows that temporary fencing is up slightly outside where the original first curve fence was. Thing I keep noticing is the backstretch and the missing part between the 2 last curves are extremely close together, but I can't figure out how they could use that to change the layout, maybe they won't but it looks significant.