TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

oooooo....I hope it's one of those Sky Rocket II clones. Every park needs one!

I know you're probably kidding, but this is the absolute last thing I want to see them add. The park already has a good shuttle coaster, THREE launched coasters, and enough low-capacity rides. Bring on the people-eating B&M!

Why all this love for a B & M Hyper? I think Intamin Hypers are far superior.

Even with that relatively large footprint, I don't know if I see it being big enough for a hyper of any kind. I think a large El Loco woud be pretty cool, myself. Or one of the mini Chance hyper (whatever they're called). I could see a Dive Machine as well... I figure it's just a matter of time before either Knott's or SFMM gets one.

Cedar Fair, the owner of Knott's, has worked extensively with B&M in the past few years: Diamondback, Intimidator, Leviathan, etc. It's even rumored that the companies have an agreement to build so many coasters for so many years (though this is just a rumor). Cedar Fair also hasn't worked with Intanin in ten years, leading people to suspect that the unreliability of coasters like Maverick and Top Thrill Dragster is a deal-breaker.

B&M is the much safer bet than Intamin for the new Knott's project.

Isn't the big rumor that Magic Mountain is getting a dive to replace Viper in 2018? Wonder not if Knott's would want to steer clear of that.

While the plot of land is certainly big enough for a dive coaster, how likely is it that Six Flags would invest in something as expensive as a large B&M coaster nowadays? They seem to be playing it safe with all of their investments, for better or worse.

I don't think Knott's has anything to worry about in regards to Magic Mountain.

Why all this love for a B & M Hyper? I think Intamin Hypers are far superior.

For a long time, I wasn't a fan of B&M at all. I really don't enjoy the gimmicky stand-up / flying ride positions, and still find many B&M designs to be meandering and dull. However, the B&M hypers that I've ridden are really impressive to me — balancing thrills and fun without needing to push the envelope in terms of extremes. I like Intamin very much, and Xcelerator is a very intense coaster (the fact that it's short is somewhat of a saving grace as the launch and the ejection on the top hat are almost too much as it is), but a B&M integrates fun with thrills in a more palatable way for my money. That may just be personal preference though as I find myself growing increasingly tired of the extreme bucking-bronco bruised-thigh style ejection of certain RMCs and Chance Hypers (I really didn't like Lightning Run much at all). An El Loco would look cool, and I quite enjoyed the one at Indiana Beach, but it's really just a glorified wild mouse so I'm not sure how well it would go over next to another wild mouse. Even though I'm personally not a fan of it, I could see them shoehorning a Skyrush-style ride in there as that footprint's not too sprawling.

Edited by Arthur_Seaton

I find myself growing increasingly tired of the extreme bucking-bronco bruised-thigh style ejection of certain RMCs and Chance Hypers

This! I love these types of rides to death (I mean, Skyrush is my favorite coaster), but there is something to be said about floaty fun airtime versus crazy ejector (I love Nitro almost as much as Skyrush for a very different reason). With Twisted Colossus up the road and Xcelerator right next door, I think a floaty B&M Hyper is exactly what is missing in SoCal, and if Knott's managed to fit one in and make it look nice, I think it could go over really, really well.

I'll be at the park tomorrow to check out Boysenberry prep as well as Sol Spin and Soak City construction. And while I'll likely be back before April 23rd, I'm gonna grab some extra rides on Boomerang that I otherwise wouldn't do.

I think a floaty B&M Hyper is exactly what is missing in SoCal, and if Knott's managed to fit one in and make it look nice, I think it could go over really, really well.

While I'd love to finally have a proper hyper or giga in California, my biggest worry is how it'll make Knott's look. Surely any large B&M over 200ft is sure to dominate the skyline. Silver Bullet is already an eyesore to those of us who remember the old, quaint, pre-Cedar Fair Knott's. A hyper would be 2-3 times more ostentatious than SB.

Do we really want Knott's to look like Gröna Lund?? I think it's neat how everything sits on top of one another there, but it'd look extremely tacky at Knott's.

I think a floaty B&M Hyper is exactly what is missing in SoCal, and if Knott's managed to fit one in and make it look nice, I think it could go over really, really well.

While I'd love to finally have a proper hyper or giga in California, my biggest worry is how it'll make Knott's look. Surely any large B&M over 200ft is sure to dominate the skyline. Silver Bullet is already an eyesore to those of us who remember the old, quaint, pre-Cedar Fair Knott's. A hyper would be 2-3 times more ostentatious than SB.

Do we really want Knott's to look like Gröna Lund?? I think it's neat how everything sits on top of one another there, but it'd look extremely tacky at Knott's.

I see where you're coming from, but I think there is a difference between adding a new coaster that partially replaces another coaster in the Boardwalk area of the park (sprawling and open) and plopping an inverted coaster on top of a lake in Ghost Town. Plus, I think something under 200 feet is much more likely for the park...along the lines of Hollywood Dream or Goliath at La Ronde. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Definitely a concern, but Xcelerator's already fugly-ed up that area to no end. Although the space is totally different, the more exposed aspects of Diamondback are actually quite scenic (the lake at least). But Knotts has local residential areas to consider as well. A looming B&M would undoubtably hamper the park's skyline, but also figuring out where it would run would be tricky. There's a lot of warehouse space over the south end of the park that wouldn't add much to the ride, but could keep the intrusion down to some degree.

Yes we do.

Outside of Ghost Town, where giant steel roller coasters are out of place, the skyline isn't a big deal....especially in an area themed to a boardwalk, where rides ARE generally plopped on top of each other....

I really dislike how everyone uses Grona Land as an example that you can never have enough space. Grona Land looks cool, but it was built that way, with the prospect of pulling rides on each other in mind. Knotts wasn't.

Grona Land can pile rides, but it doesn't mean Six Flags or Cedar Fair wants to do so. The Boardwalk is no where near close to comparable to Grona Land, so the argument that the atmosphere of the Boardwalk is already set for stacking rides is invalid IMO. There are still miles of differences between the Boardwalk and Grona Land to settle before they're comparable enough to say that rides might as well be stacked.

The dive coaster rumor for SFMM is just some senseless pipe dream sh*t that sounds good to SFMM fanboys, so they've believed in it with dilusion. There is ZERO correlation between the speculation and rumor that because Viper has short lines, it will be replaced by (of all things), SPECIFICALLY, a B&M Dive Coaster.

Now that Boomerang is going to be removed, it is safe to speculate what will replace it. If the two ideas pitched so far (both of them having some merit of plausibility to them since California has neither), I think the B&M Dove Coaster is a lot more plausible. SoCal already has a hyper (see: Goliath) and a Dive Coaster would be unique and marketable. The footprint is much smaller than a hyper, but a Dive Coaster can still reach 200 ft. If Knotts puts a large attraction in Boomerang's old spot, its probably going to require a little bit of going over the midway of the ride is to have any decent amount of substance to its layout. A Dive Coaster could manage this by consolidating most of itself over Boomerangs old spot, with a couple of elements over midways in the immediate area (versus a out-and-back hyper that would spend most of its time outside the old plot and the immediate area by nature). However, I'm not going to defend my speculation as anything more than a possiblility. When it happens, it happens, but until then, I'll consider any other reasonable idea for a ride.

I really dislike how everyone uses Grona Land as an example that you can never have enough space. Grona Land looks cool, but it was built that way, with the prospect of pulling rides on each other in mind. Knotts wasn't.

Knott's already built a new coaster through an existing one (Jaguar), Wrapped Sierra Sidewinder around the Balloon Race, Built Pony Express over Bigfoot Rapids, put the annoying camp snoopy truck ride under Monte support, just built the new Calico Square stage to share backstage space with the Shutlz theater, once had flat rides inside the footprint of Windjammer, combined the parachute jump on their observation tower....

They planning team at KBF is very good at what they do.

Grona Land can pile rides, but it doesn't mean Six Flags or Cedar Fair wants to do so. The Boardwalk is no where near close to comparable to Grona Land, so the argument that the atmosphere of the Boardwalk is already set for stacking rides is invalid IMO. There are still miles of differences between the Boardwalk and Grona Land to settle before they're comparable enough to say that rides might as well be stacked.

Grona Land is the extreme example. But any famous pier/boardwalk operates with the same general philosophy of plop rides wherever you can find space. Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk put a roller coaster on a buildings roof, the Santa Monica Pier squeezes the pirate ship ride in right next to the ferris wheel...

The dive coaster rumor for SFMM is just some senseless pipe dream sh*t that sounds good to SFMM fanboys, so they've believed in it with dilusion. There is ZERO correlation between the speculation and rumor that because Viper has short lines, it will be replaced by (of all things), SPECIFICALLY, a B&M Dive Coaster.

Now that Boomerang is going to be removed, it is safe to speculate what will replace it. If the two ideas pitched so far (both of them having some merit of plausibility to them since California has neither), I think the B&M Dove Coaster is a lot more plausible. SoCal already has a hyper (see: Goliath) and a Dive Coaster would be unique and marketable. The footprint is much smaller than a hyper, but a Dive Coaster can still reach 200 ft. If Knotts puts a large attraction in Boomerang's old spot, its probably going to require a little bit of going over the midway of the ride is to have any decent amount of substance to its layout. A Dive Coaster could manage this by consolidating most of itself over Boomerangs old spot, with a couple of elements over midways in the immediate area (versus a out-and-back hyper that would spend most of its time outside the old plot and the immediate area by nature). However, I'm not going to defend my speculation as anything more than a possiblility. When it happens, it happens, but until then, I'll consider any other reasonable idea for a ride.

...I really dislike how everyone uses Grona Land as an example that you can never have enough space. Grona Land looks cool, but it was built that way, with the prospect of pulling rides on each other in mind. Knotts wasn't.

I use Grona Lund all the time for that argument, but I understand what you mean. However, Blackpool Pleasure Beach was (and probably still is, to some) considered the same as Grona Lund, although in my humble opinion, Grona Lund far outdoes what BPB has done. Because BPB (still) has way more space.

Others have already said that Knott's is still pretty spread out and there's a fair amount of room for expansion and "overlay" of attractions. And I always find it amusing how one decides "which way to go?" when you enter the main gate of Knott's. The Ghost Town? (to the left)....... or Rides, Rides Rides! (to the right).

But Ghostrider is to the left, same as Ghost Town.

Haven't seen anyone post about it yet, but it looks like Sol Spin is sitting in the parking lot next to the burned down fire house. Spotted it while riding Boomerang.

Great news. The foundation looks like it's ready, and I believe the first piece has been laid on the Windseeker anchor bolts. Hopefully this thing goes up quickly and opens next month!

EDIT: There's a blurry photo of the pieces on Knott's Network's Instagram page. I won't post it here since I'm not sure whose photo it is and where they took it from.

I just had a random thought... What if the new coaster in that area is indeed a Dive Coaster, and in a sort of tribute (and to fit in with the theme of the boardwalk area), it is called "Surf Racer"? That would be kind of cool, and the idea of a Dive Coaster being like riding a gigantic wave (and then crashing straight down) fits pretty well! Of course, it could be named as a tribute, and also be called "Windjammer" - though I doubt they pair the two names together into an overly long coaster name again!