What's New at BGW for 2017?: Report from Passholder Preview Day
Rain mixed with snow is falling on Williamsburg at the moment, but the weather for yesterday's Passholder Preview Day, depiste a drizzly beginning, was nearly perfect. The park uses these events for announcements both major (such as InvadR) and minor (such as new kiosks for the Food and Wine Festival). Here's a summary of what happened yesterday.
1. InvadR will open on April 7. This is one of the earliest openings for a new ride at BGW ever. They "unveiled" the ride's sign and entrance (both of which look great), and mentioned that "testing" had been going on. I didn't see any trains on the track, but they could've in the station and barn away from public view.
2. Virtual reality comes to Ireland in 2018. Europe in the Air is closed and being prepared to become a "virtual-reality motion-simulator" attraction. The park showed a brief teaser video about the new attraction. One good thing about this announcement is that Irish myth is returning to BGW after a long absence.
3. The Food and Wine Festival will feature three new kiosks this year: India, Mediterranean, and Island Freeze Frozen Drinks. Nice to know that all your adult-frozen-beverage needs will be served in one spot. The festival runs from May 26 to July 2.
4. At this year's Howl-o-Scream, the park is going to try something it's never done before . . . but we'll have to wait to find out what that is.
That being said, Count von Count will be returning in a Halloween show for kids. And while Europe in the Air itself is closed, the show building will still host an HOS maze.
5. Busch Gardens is taking "French fries to a whole new level this year." More on that later.
6. Two new shows debut this year: Britmania in the Globe Theatre and Octoberzest in the Festhaus (the latter opens on March 31).
7. Concerts return to the park this year as part of the Summer NIghts series. Acts include .38 Special, Kool and the Gang, and Cassadee Pope and Chase Bryant (more to be announced later).
8. Alpengeist turns 20 years old this year; it's younger sibling, Griffon, turns 10.
Let's take a stroll around the park and see what's new--in addition to InvadR.