TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

EDIT: I recant that statement, don't let the appearance fool you! The pizza sauce has changed into some overly sweet lunchable-esque marinara. The cheese is also very low quality. I'm very disappointed with Dollywood's food offerings this year, everything is made very early in advanced to all of it is cold.

I am honestly more concerned about this than anything related to LR.

EDIT: I recant that statement, don't let the appearance fool you! The pizza sauce has changed into some overly sweet lunchable-esque marinara. The cheese is also very low quality. I'm very disappointed with Dollywood's food offerings this year, everything is made very early in advanced to all of it is cold.

Yes, LR is fine, just routine maintenance that came up a bit early.

The new pizza is just sad, I'm going to start bringing stuff and keeping it in my car, honestly.

I don't see how people rate Dollywood's food so high anymore.

^ Well, what about those skillet dishes that (a lot of) everybody raves about, including the same at SDC?

Aren't those still great and awesome,etc.etc? And the BREAD! Don't forget about the BREAD!

Same here.. The pizza still looks brick fired which is what added a lot to the taste there.. I was afraid they would be going away from the brick fired all together.. I am very sad to hear they are using lower quality ingredients though..

Confucious (or Yoda) Say:

"One bad pizza does not equal total bad theme park food."

IMhO But it's still sad about the pizza.

Yes but if we let Dollywood get away with lowering quality at one place, whos the say others aren't soon to follow?? Dollywood is big on listening to feedback so they need to know that we notice..

So I've been busy with college and everything and am just catching up. The drop tower looks like it will provide some amazing views of the park including a view of LR, and a gut wrenching free fall. Speaking of LR, anyone know why the bars were added to the lapbars? I liked the feeling of having nothing to hold onto. Made it a bit more intense, which at the end I had to hang onto the sides during the quad down but I feel if you hang onto something with LR it's going to feel as if it's being more "rough" with you. Am I the only one?

So I've been busy with college and everything and am just catching up. The drop tower looks like it will provide some amazing views of the park including a view of LR, and a gut wrenching free fall. Speaking of LR, anyone know why the bars were added to the lapbars? I liked the feeling of having nothing to hold onto. Made it a bit more intense, which at the end I had to hang onto the sides during the quad down but I feel if you hang onto something with LR it's going to feel as if it's being more "rough" with you. Am I the only one?

They aren't to hold onto during the ride, they are there to help you secure the lap bar, a lot of taller people had to push extremely hard with their body working against them, these help apply the force better.

Today was the best day I've had at Dollywood since last year! No lines and a little sunshine made things great! Rode every coaster and a few rides in country fair all within 2 hours. The new setting area is really nice in country fair and the rides all seemed to working well and a couple with new paint. The 2 new rides look like they could be ready to test within the next couple of weeks. The kiddie coaster just needs some theming and a station. Drop tower has a station and just needs some theming!

IMG_0874.thumb.JPG.4921338c50b086283cfc76f3122d61f3.JPG

IMG_0875.thumb.JPG.b6b63396569649f083e190cb8c5689ec.JPG

IMG_0876.thumb.JPG.2e5b72cf1ee4ba73b11dfab9548d9105.JPG

IMG_0878.thumb.JPG.eca1cb5171fc549642a5824ac759f983.JPG

IMG_0882.thumb.JPG.5bf6a31bd5766d945394dcb5507bfe8c.JPG

IMG_0883.thumb.JPG.70bd98c9fa9023a91cf377f2e36a3c03.JPG

IMG_0886.thumb.JPG.96bcbb601371de497933057ddad88bdc.JPG

I was there today. First time on season pass holder day. There was hardly anyone there. Only 3 coasters opened at 10 due to cold. More opened at 11, Mystery Mine and Firechaser at 12. I forgot to take pictures of new things I saw. Besides the obvious Whistlepunk Chaser and Drop Line, Timber Canyon got some huge improvements. The sidewalk widening will make a huge difference once crowds are packed in there. Many more pieces of theming and signing were put in. Really helps separate the area between Wilderness Pass and Timber Canyon more. Sideshow Spin being gone made the Country Fair seem much more open, and honestly I think better. Felt much easier to navigate. I also noticed most restrooms in the older parts of the park were gutted and upgraded, specifically in Showstreet. Food seemed on top quality like usual for me today. I didn't go to Lumberjacks though. Mother Africa show was great for those of you going during the Festival of Nations. Singing, dancing, circus type acrobatics. Overall a great day. Coasters had pretty much zero wait all day, Lightning Rod and Fire Chaser 10 min wait. Lightning Rod was amazing as usual, didn't feel any pothole, they were using both trains and dispatching pretty quick when I was there. I'll be back tomorrow for opening day, although might sleep in a couple hours and not be there at opening due to the incoming rain. I'll try to get pics of new theming to share.

Some awesome numbers from Dollywood President Craig Ross on how they are doing with the 300 million plan.

Here is a good news story on it. http://www.wbir.com/mb/news/local/dollywood-reopens-for-the-season/423337596

I thought it was interesting how he said they only close the short time in the winter to get ready for spring.. I knew that's what they used that time for but with that being said they don't close due to the weather or coldness. He said if it wasn't for getting ready for Spring they would be open year round..

I know you can't look to deep into that but as Dollywood turns into more of a national destination like they are planning, anyone ever see them being open year round? Maybe jsut Friday - Sunday during the winter?

We already have them almost DOUBLING their fall days this season by being open everyday during October.. So it's already kind of happening..

That area​ is still always busy during the weekends during winter.. I can see Dollywood drawing in decent sized crowds even during Jan - Feb, especially if they have a neat festival bringing folks in.. This winter tourism was down due to the fire but the Mountains are still a huge draw during the winter. Gatlinburg is packed on the weekends, and Pigeon Forge is fairly crowded as well.. Dollywood would just bring more in and help the area even more.

Just an interesting thought that probably won't ever happen but still fun to think about

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Enjoyed a few hours at the park for season pass holder day.

Park was dead. No lines.

Lightning Rod was running with two trains, but it was still experiencing somewhat frequent break downs (3 while I was there) and the employees seemed as flustered as usual. Better than any Six Flags operation but for Dollywood it was messy. They failed to fill rows and seemed off even though most of the ops have been on LR last year. It's still much better than last season but I wouldn't say it's in the clear. At least it is running with two trains!

Otherwise the park seems as solid as always in terms of friendliness and operational consistency. I LOVE this park. Looking forward to opening day today! Hopefully it's successful but not too busy for my sake anyways!

Enjoyed a few hours at the park for season pass holder day.

Park was dead. No lines.

Lightning Rod was running with two trains, but it was still experiencing somewhat frequent break downs (3 while I was there) and the employees seemed as flustered as usual. Better than any Six Flags operation but for Dollywood it was messy. They failed to fill rows and seemed off even though most of the ops have been on LR last year. It's still much better than last season but I wouldn't say it's in the clear. At least it is running with two trains!

Otherwise the park seems as solid as always in terms of friendliness and operational consistency. I LOVE this park. Looking forward to opening day today! Hopefully it's successful but not too busy for my sake anyways!

They were letting people pick rows for the most part.

None of the downtime was rollback related so at least that seems to be fixed for now. All three lasted for less than an hour.

Has anyone else noticed this guy, or have an answer as to why he's been moved to this area of the park?

Just saw it on instagram and had a "wait wtf" moment. Did they put a hot dog stand over in wilderness pass?

IMG_0432.thumb.PNG.e04494660bef80283d74e4edd0a84163.PNG

Random Hotdog