TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I'll also agree . . . I'm not a fan of stand-up coasters that much. Bangs my shoulders, feels like with a wrong bump, my nuts will get squashed.

As for height restrictions, well . . . have you seen anyone get turned down on any coaster for being too tall? Once at SFA this year, I did see a guy get turned down because he was too tall for Superman: Ride of Steel (he was 6'6" or 6'7" and couldn't fully pull down the restraint).

Anyhow, how much is it costing Cedar Fair to convert stand-ups to floor-less coasters?

I'll also agree . . . I'm not a fan of stand-up coasters that much. Bangs my shoulders, feels like with a wrong bump, my nuts will get squashed.

As for height restrictions, well . . . have you seen anyone get turned down on any coaster for being too tall? Once at SFA this year, I did see a guy get turned down because he was too tall for Superman: Ride of Steel (he was 6'6" or 6'7" and couldn't fully pull down the restraint).

Anyhow, how much is it costing Cedar Fair to convert stand-ups to floor-less coasters?

We don't really know (though everyone on the board pretends they do) since the park doesn't release the numbers, but apparently they were happy enough with the popularity of the Rougarou / Mantis conversion that they went ahead and did the same thing to Vortex at Great America so I guess it's going well for them. From a rider's standpoint I thought Mantis was the worst coaster in the park and the only adult coaster at Cedar Point I wouldn't ride. While Rougarou lands somewhere in the middle of the pack at Cedar Point because they have a great lineup, we ride it all the time now and think it's a ton of fun.

Of standups, I liked Shockwave because it had airtime. I'll endure quite a bit for that fantastic feeling of your feet coming off the floor. I haven't gotten any on the 3 B&Ms I've tried. GL is the best of those because the restraint doesn't hurt before it even starts moving, although even Apocalypse may have a more intense layout. I doubt a floorless conversion of GL would help it much, but maybe you'd just sit back and chill. If for some reason GL had way less line (or was the only one open) I might marathon it and try to find some merit, but the first time I went this decade it wasn't worth the wait, and the second time there wasn't any reason not to ride something better.

^^ Still haven't gotten a single standup credit. Is that bad?

Trust me, you're better off that way.

Bill hates standups, and that's cool. Everybody has their own opinions. I personally thought Riddler's Revenge at Magic Mountain was pretty good. So I'd say give one a try, if you're at a park that has one, and see what you think. If you hate it, then don't ride another one. But I'd give it a shot; I'm one that always values a new experience.

Bill hates standups, and that's cool. Everybody has their own opinions. I personally thought Riddler's Revenge at Magic Mountain was pretty good. So I'd say give one a try, if you're at a park that has one, and see what you think. If you hate it, then don't ride another one. But I'd give it a shot; I'm one that always values a new experience.

I'm going to Great Adventure this summer. What about Green Lantern?

I'm going to Great Adventure this summer. What about Green Lantern?

I'd say try it for yourself and see what you think. I haven't been to Great Adventure yet, but I also am going this summer, and I plan to ride Green Lantern, based on my positive experience with Riddler's Revenge. Everyone is different, and since standups put pressure on your legs, some people find that uncomfortable. It's a weird feeling for sure, but one I personally didn't mind.

I've only been on Georgia Scorcher and thought it was really good last year, but I already knew how not to wreck my crotch and make it more comfortable.

Also the ride is pretty short and doesn't have a ton of forces so that probably helped, it was just fun and unique for me, with the second half the ride being a lot of fun. But I can completely understand why the larger three are/were utter hell.

In between dabs to stop my bleeding eyes with all this talk of Green Lantern and a certain type of clothing that may or may not hold certain mobile devices in parks, I saw that Boldikus included handy links in his signature to his 2016 TRs. Nice touch, good sir!