TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ I can't speak for Carowinds as I've never been but Kings Dominion and Great Adventure are about much more than one flagship coaster. Both have totally solid line-ups with lots of awesome rides. And both parks are pretty nice.

When i said one flagship coaster i meant KD and Carowinds not so much GA as i know they have a few flagship coasters i heard. But yea i am sure both KD and Carowinds is awesome too. Those two are kind of like Kings Island im guessing and i been to KI before. That park was a lot of fun too:) I think however my next biggest "bucket list" parks would be MM and Great Adventure of course. I mean El Toro looks awesome!!!!!! Not to mention i heard a lot of good stuff about it too. What i dont get is why do people prefer that one terrain coaster to El Toro...it beat El Toro at number on spot! I seen a POV of that ride and honestly....it looks like it has no real drops just curved slightly slopped "drops"

I also believe that CP is better than MM. While I haven't been to CP since 2012, I still think it's a much better park. For one, CP has a far better coaster lineup than MM. I also like the direction that CP is headed in. All of their most recent coaster additions have been major projects all over $10 million, while all of MM's recent additions have been kiddie coasters and projects under $5 million. So yeah there's my opinion on the matter.

while all of MM's recent additions have been kiddie coasters and projects under $5 million. So yeah there's my opinion on the matter.

While I totally agree CP is the far superior park, pretty sure Fulll Throttle, Twisted Colossus, Green Lantern, Lex Luthor etc were all more than $5 million.

I'll compare the two, since I just went to Cedar Point and Magic Mountain for the first time this year, and both times for enthusiast events, so I feel I can give a fair comparison.

Comparable rides:

Raptor v. Batman: Raptor

Gatekeeper v. X2: X2

Iron Dragon v. Ninja: Ninja

Rougarou v. Scream: Scream

Corkscrew v. Viper: Viper

Magnum v. Goliath: Magnum

Mean Streak v. Apocalypse: Apocalypse

Cedar Creek Mine Ride v. Gold Rusher: CCMR

What year is it?

Seriously it's a good post, but everyone's going to have totally different opinions (I hate X2 with a fiery passion and really like Gatekeeper for example) but it feels like 2001 with the Magic Mountain / Cedar Point discussion.

Thanks! Well, in 2001 I hadn't been to either park. I do come from the land of hillbillies; we're a little behind the times.

I can confirm that Afterburn is completely bada** and one of the best inverted coasters in America.

Definitely my fave invert, though I havent ridden Montu yet...

Montu edges out Afterburn for me because of the terrain interaction and length advantage, but they’re both absolutely fantastic rides!

I can confirm that Afterburn is completely bada** and one of the best inverted coasters in America.

Definitely my fave invert, though I havent ridden Montu yet...

Montu edges out Afterburn for me because of the terrain interaction and length advantage, but they’re both absolutely fantastic rides!

I feel the same way, but as you said they're both fantastic.

Six Flags Magic Mountain has sent us a press release announcing this year's Holiday in the Park® including two new sections!

Six Flags Magic Mountain, the “Thrill Capital of the World,” lights up the season even brighter this year during its annual holiday extravaganza, Holiday in the Park®. With more than one million lights and now six uniquely themed areas — including two brand new sections, the new Gleampunk District and Santa’s Star Spangled Plaza — the park is transformed into a spectacularly-lit winter wonderland for guests to enjoy this holiday season. The event is also extended and will run for 28 nights - beginning daily November 19 through 27, weekends only through December 11 and then daily December 17 through January 1, 2017, with the exception of Christmas Day. Holiday in the Park begins each evening at 5 p.m. with falling snow.

Many areas of the park feature time-honored and unique holiday themes. The visual look of the park takes on the distinct spirit of the holidays and guests will experience quaint and authentic touches that will remind adults of their fondest childhood memories, and create new, exciting moments for children that will last a lifetime.

“We are thrilled to host this magical annual holiday event for all Southern Californians to enjoy," said Bonnie Sherman Weber, park president. "In its third year, not only are we bringing back the unique Six Flags holiday traditions our guests have come to love, but we extended the run and are adding more holiday themed areas and entertainment they will treasure for years to come. With well over one million lights, snowfall around the park, new and exciting holiday entertainment, and many delicious one-of-a-kind seasonal treats, we’re proud to present our biggest winter spectacular yet!”

One of the highlights of this year’s event is “Santa’s Wild Sleigh Ride,” a NEW innovative Virtual Reality (VR) experience created in partnership with Hallmark Channel, on The New Revolution. The traditional coaster experience transforms riders into a completely immersive virtual world. The realistic theme puts riders in the middle of the action similar to a video game experience as they ride on a sleigh with Santa and his reindeer to help battle a mischievous Elf trying to foil Santa’s mission to deliver toys on Christmas Eve. From the moment riders board and don Samsung Gear VR powered by Oculus, they engage in interactive gaming throughout the entire ride by launching snowballs at flying targets. Riders will experience high-definition imagery and storytelling which syncs with the unique track configuration and creates a one-of-a-kind seamless “real world” to “virtual world” thrill ride experience. The New Revolution is North America’s first fully-integrated VR roller coaster from Samsung Gear VR. Hallmark Channel is the leading destination for original holiday programming with its signature eight week “Countdown to Christmas” event, which kicks off October 29 and features 24/7 seasonal fare, including 19 new original movies.

In keeping with the patriotic flare of The New Revolution, the new Santa’s Star Spangled Plaza will feature thousands of red, white and blue lights as well as 10-foot tall toy soldiers on stilts, and a beautifully lit Christmas tree. Santa’s wild sleigh along with other elements from the VR movie will be displayed throughout the area for fun photo reminders of your wild sleigh ride and virtual reality journey.

Take a step back in time in the NEW Gleampunk District: A Steampunk Holiday experience. Thousands of lights will illuminate the tree-lined streets and planters of the newest and largest themed area of Holiday in the Park. Guests will be transformed into the 19th century with the sights and sounds of the industrial revolution. Unique acrobatic artistry with a holiday flair highlights the Kwerkmas show in Gearworks Theater, an exceptional live show featuring trapeze artists, gymnasts and aerial stunts the entire family will enjoy. On the façade of Gearworks Theater, a fantastic journey takes you on a video adventure into the inner workings of the Steampunk Candy and Toy Factory. Entertaining guests on the midway throughout the area are the Streetpunk Holiday Players, and a don’t forget your photo in an iconic steampunk sleigh.

As guests enter Holiday in the Park, the Six Flags Plaza area is transformed into Holiday Square with a kaleidoscope of breath-taking color, featuring hundreds of thousands of lights on trees and buildings throughout the area while snowflakes and carolers delight guests as they enter this magical scene. Snowy Nights, the live holiday show, features contemporary music and themed dancers on the Full Throttle stage. Crafts, spiced-up holiday treats, falling snow and larger-than-life toy soldiers are the focal point in the Winter Wonderland area, beginning on the midway past the Viper exit and extending up through the Mining Town area of the park. A classic Santa Claus village anchors this picturesque snow-capped setting. DC UNIVERSE comes to life as Rockin’ Universe, featuring three dancing light shows, each customized to contemporary holiday music. As one of the largest programmed light shows on the West coast, each five-minute display includes multiple lighting variations with tens of thousands of lights synchronized to holiday musical favorites.

Park guests can delight in all the wonderful tastes and aromas of the season with a large variety of Holiday in the Park-exclusive culinary treats, handmade candies and holiday-inspired gifts and souvenirs. The event is sure to delight holiday revelers of all ages when they get their photo with Santa and Mrs. Claus, enjoy hot chocolate and peppermint fudge, watch the visual spectacle at Full Throttle Sports Bar, and experience an enhanced light show with specially-made 3-D glasses.

Six Flags Magic Mountain 2017 Season Passes are on sale. For a limited time, purchase four or more Magic Mountain Passes and you’ll get a FREE upgrade to a GOLD Pass that includes FREE Hurricane Harbor Season Passes, a FREE season parking pass, and visits to all Six Flags theme parks. Additional Season Pass perks include free tickets for friends, park admission to Fright Fest, Holiday in the Park, and more. Season Passes can be purchased at the main gate ticket booths or online at sixflags.com. Online Pass purchases are eligible for low monthly payments through the Membership program.

Season Passholders may also take advantage of our best value in Dining by purchasing a 2017 Season Dining Pass. For one low price you can enjoy a variety of meal options on each visit. Dining passes may be purchased at the park or online at sixflags.com.

Save time and money. Buy and print your tickets at home and go straight to the gate. Plan ahead and save up to $25 on Six Flags Magic Mountain general admission when you purchase your tickets in advance of your visit date. Get more details and buy now at sixflags.com.

Six Flags Magic Mountain, the undisputed thrill capital of the world, is located at 26101 Magic Mountain Parkway, Valencia, north of Los Angeles off Interstate 5 at the Magic Mountain Parkway exit. For park days and hours of operation, please call (661) 255-4111 or visit us at http://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain.

HIP_-_Full_Throttle.jpg.03669050fba1c9c7a8358feee005f8ce.jpg

SFMM_-_HIP_highres.thumb.jpg.e2b2c2e4d086721db7643be6e4c48bf7.jpg

HIP_-_Selfie_shot.thumb.jpg.fa5d13a8fc9c6407a5e683f488a387ee.jpg

As far as MM vs CP, I have been to both and theyre both better at some things than others. I think MM has a better selection of coasters and has more thrilling or unique coasters (arguably), but CP is a *MUCH* nicer park overall, and they have some coasters that, while maybe not as out-and-out thrilling, are actually better such as Maverick and Millenium Force. CP is a better overall experience, MM is better for the nothing-but-thrills tween and millenial crowd that they cater to in SoCal.

Superman is pretty meh, especially considering how big and intimidating it looks. Things like KK and TTD are much more intense and give you a crazy rush that Superman just can't provide.

It's fun, but it is really short especially compared to how incredibly slow the queue moves. The queue can also be really muggy hot and smelly, I think the really long unpleasant waiting experience compared with a very short ride leaves people not feeling good about it sometimes.

As far as MM vs CP, I have been to both and theyre both better at some things than others. I think MM has a better selection of coasters and has more thrilling or unique coasters (arguably), but CP is a *MUCH* nicer park overall, and they have some coasters that, while maybe not as out-and-out thrilling, are actually better such as Maverick and Millenium Force. CP is a better overall experience, MM is better for the nothing-but-thrills tween and millenial crowd that they cater to in SoCal.

Superman is pretty meh, especially considering how big and intimidating it looks. Things like KK and TTD are much more intense and give you a crazy rush that Superman just can't provide.

It's fun, but it is really short especially compared to how incredibly slow the queue moves. The queue can also be really muggy hot and smelly, I think the really long unpleasant waiting experience compared with a very short ride leaves people not feeling good about it sometimes.

Yea thats why i wish to go to MM one day as they have some of the most unique and thrilling coasters out there. To bad im in Chicago though. CP was awesome though and had some AWESOME coasters! Still want to try MM one day oh how i wish airplane tickets were not so dang expensive! O.O I can afford a trip to an amusement park but not so much a full plane ticket lol.

I'm going to be flying into LA on January 6th to spend a couple of days at MM before heading to Vegas for a meeting. It will be my first time at MM so I'm hoping you all can give me an idea of how best to hit the park. Looks like the hours are only 11-6 so I might get a couple hours before closing on Friday the 6th and then all day Sat & Sunday. Heading to Vegas on Monday.

Also I have the dining plan so any recommendations on where to eat would be helpful. Lastly is the park normally pretty dead this time of year? Thanks in advance for helping me to plan this out. Can't wait to finally get to MM!

I'm going to be flying into LA on January 6th to spend a couple of days at MM before heading to Vegas for a meeting. It will be my first time at MM so I'm hoping you all can give me an idea of how best to hit the park. Looks like the hours are only 11-6 so I might get a couple hours before closing on Friday the 6th and then all day Sat & Sunday. Heading to Vegas on Monday.

Also I have the dining plan so any recommendations on where to eat would be helpful. Lastly is the park normally pretty dead this time of year? Thanks in advance for helping me to plan this out. Can't wait to finally get to MM!

For Friday, start with FullThrottle and then work your way around counter-clockwise until the park closes. Then Saturday start with X2 and work your way around clockwise until you meet up with where you left off. Sunday just ride what you liked best!

Twisted Wiches by Twisted Colossus is probably the best food in the park along with the Johnny Rockets and mayyybe the barbecue place by Riddler's if only because you can get a beer.

For Friday, start with FullThrottle and then work your way around counter-clockwise until the park closes. Then Saturday start with X2 and work your way around clockwise until you meet up with where you left off. Sunday just ride what you liked best!

Twisted Wiches by Twisted Colossus is probably the best food in the park along with the Johnny Rockets and mayyybe the barbecue place by Riddler's if only because you can get a beer.

Thanks I appreciate the advice. Is the park normally slow at this time?

Thanks I appreciate the advice. Is the park normally slow at this time?

Relatively, yes, but Saturdays are almost always somewhat busy year round.