TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

So we are visiting Disneyworld in July, and only plan on spending 1 day at Hollywood studios. I was checking out the schedule for the day we are going to be there(July 11th) and the park hours are only listed to be open till 8:30. I find this kinda odd as all the other parks are open till 10 or later.

Is there a reason the park has limited hours during the summer months?

Also, I am a little confused as to when the star wars symphony in the stars fireworks start other than it begins on June 17th. Being that the park is only open till 8:30, and fantasmic is at 9 I am not sure when the show is. After seeing the previews of this show, I really don't want to miss it. The official site is not much help as it seems Disney has not updated the show times yet.

Thank's for any help/suggestions.

^ Star Wars usually starts when the park closes. And I didn't know the park only closes at 8:30... probably because of Animal Kingdom's late operating times? Got me.

Kinda odd that a park that cost's $100 to get into closes as early as it does. We were able to score some good fast passes for the park, so hopefully that works in our favor to get thru all the attractions in time(and several rides on tower).

We just have to figure out how we are going to juggle fantasmic and the star wars fireworks.

• 5 weeks later...

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/07/disneyland-park-guests-get-a-peek-at-new-star-wars-themed-land/

In April, we celebrated the official groundbreaking of Star Wars-themed lands coming to Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts, and beginning today, Disneyland park guests can get a glimpse of this exciting and immersive experience. A new image has been unveiled on the fence along Big Thunder Trail in Frontierland – one of the entry points to this never-before-seen planet in the Star Wars galaxy – revealing more about what guests will find in this all-new land.

Nestled between towering spires of rock, this thriving port contains a seemingly familiar architecture of markets, landing zones and buildings. Click here for a larger version of the image above. Look closely and you may find hints of some of the thrilling experiences that are coming – like the Millennium Falcon peeking out of one of the cargo bays, marking the location where guests will get the opportunity to pilot the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

The 14-acre land will be the largest-ever single-themed land expansion at Disneyland Resort. Keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog – we’ll continue to bring you updates as we learn more about this planet, as well as the citizens, aliens and droids who populate it.

Keep in mind, this concept art is specifically for the Disneyland version of the themed land, taking into consideration its interaction with the neighboring Frontierland and Big Thunder Trail. Disney's Hollywood Studios will likely feature a slightly different configuration and entrance portals to better transition guests from Toy Story Land and Commissary Lane.

SWThemedLand1280.jpg.1b37eddc86e38b4ab7fbce732ff55aa7.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^^^ I thought this was the artists concept of SWL in the Studios would look like? Showing a right hand tunnel,

which apparently came out where the new Toy Story Land would be?

Or is this wrong? All subject to change, of course.

1047085895_starwarslandrendnew.thumb.jpg.43eb7d3f124d1e3f614f298a93871f34.jpg

Toy-Story-Land_Full_27411.jpg.8fed01e03fc2d5d6be5279947d6971ba.jpg

Over on the left, there?. Familiar? (See above on the right)

• 1 month later...

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/11/star-wars-themed-land-at-disneys-hollywood-studios-to-dazzle-at-night-new-star-tours-adventure-coming/

swl675849fi.jpg.8faec0be132651c3a92fc18f1f422ce4.jpg

Today, we’re unveiling a stunning new image from Walt Disney Imagineering that shows just how amazing the Star Wars-themed land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Orlando, Fla., will look once the sun goes down.

As you can see, the land will take on a whole new dimension after dark and feature adventures and surprises around each corner. If you look close, the image reveals a peek at what you’ll discover in this all-new land located in the southwest corner of Disney’s Hollywood Studios, including one of the signature attractions that lets you take the controls of the Millennium Falcon.

We’re also excited to share an update that work is already underway at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disneyland park in Anaheim, Calif., to bring the stories from a galaxy, far, far away to life in the parks.

stlifh47068097.jpg.cba7e38608ba3236c65a1494d53db1f0.jpg

During a D23: Destination D presentation today, Walt Disney Parks & Resorts Chairman Bob Chapek also shared that – for the first time – we are adding a new adventure to the Star Tours – the Adventures Continue attraction. Walt Disney Imagineering and Lucasfilm teams are currently in production to add an exciting new mission to the attraction based on elements from Star Wars Episode VIII.

There will be more to share on Star Wars-themed lands coming to Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts as well as Star Tours in the future. Keep checking the Disney Parks Blog for updates.

^ I have heard or read nothing that suggests "exactly" when any of these attractions and lands open.

World of Pandora has been announced, to be opening in "summer 2017" in Animal Kingdom,

with no specific month/date mentioned.

And nothing of either SWL or TSL in Hollywood Studios has been mentioned yet, as to when they will open.

When exactly does 'avatar land' 'toy story land' and 'star wars land' open?

I think it was said somewhere that TSL would open before SWL, and the latter would open at the same time as the Disneyland version. That's all we know.

Pandora is opening next summer, presumably May/June.

• 1 month later...

Just returned from a trip and was told by several cast members that star wars land was scheduled to open before toy story land. No exact dates given but said it would be about 2.5 years before star wars (he gave a "season" but i forgot) opens and then toy story.. was also told that after toy story opens they planned something "big" at Epcot.

This was told to us by a bus driver and a Cast Member at tusker house (in Animal Kingdom) and finally was told this by guest services at Hollywood Studios.

I know park staff isn't the most reliable source for info like this but letting you know what I heard and that three different cast members working in different locations gave the same story so either the rumor spreads like wildfire or they have had an internal announcement with rough dates. The bus driver was almost like he was reading a script "don't forget to return for this and then this and then this"

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

It seems like the Slinky Dog coaster will be from Mack. https://www.instagram.com/p/BSbTLfxFA2y/

Seven Dwarves Mine Train was built by Vekoma and appears to have vehicle designs similar to the animations put out by the park.

So my biggest question here is: will it still have the swinging cars, and if so, why isn't it a Vekoma--who seems to be Disney's go-to for coasters.

It seems like the Slinky Dog coaster will be from Mack. https://www.instagram.com/p/BSbTLfxFA2y/

Seven Dwarves Mine Train was built by Vekoma and appears to have vehicle designs similar to the animations put out by the park.

So my biggest question here is: will it still have the swinging cars, and if so, why isn't it a Vekoma--who seems to be Disney's go-to for coasters.

The track style pointed to it not being made by Vekoma though.

Interesting that Disney would be the ones to bring the Mack launched coaster to the east coast.

• 2 months later...