Photo TR: Chuck Returns to Europe at Last with TPR

Chapter 10: Kolmarden
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Photo TR: Chuck Returns to Europe at Last with TPR

Postby cfc » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:09 pm

Chapter 9
By Day and by Night--Grona Lund

Stockholm is a beautiful city built on a series of islands; so, it makes sense for it to have one of the best waterside parks, anywhere--Grona Lund. Space here is precious, and the park uses it very well. Roller coasters wind around and drop and rise in and out of each other, and they waste nothing at this park. For example, one of the park’s two (eventually to be three) drop rides was installed on what used to be an observation tower, and it offers two different experiences--one with straight seats and the other with tilted seats (which aren’t too kind to the average gent’s “package”).

I haven’t visited Grona Lund since 2009, and there have been a few changes. Twister, the park’s Gravity Group woodie, wasn’t there back then, and it’s a lot of fun. This ride’s construction provides another good example of how well this park uses space and wastes nothing. To build Twister, they had to dismantle the park’s dark ride, Bla Taget, and tear down its show building. This ride had been with the park in one form or another since the 1930s. So, instead of just discarding Bla Taget, Grona Lund rebuilt it right under Twister, with many of the original gags intact, plus some enhancements (such as on-ride audio, “4D” effects in the cars, and trick track). The ride is even better than it was in 2009. Grona Lund is a park that takes its heritage seriously.

Another new attraction is House of Nightmares, an up-charge haunted walk-through. This was once another haunt called Spokhuset.

The park worked with Sally Rides to give this attraction an extensive make over and a new story line. If they dare, guests are invited to enter into the mind of Dr. Morpheus, a sideshow “scientist” who specializes in sleep and dreams. As you’ve probably guessed, the doc’s sub-conscious is full of all sorts of horrors, such as evil clowns and zombies. There’s plenty of nice effects and scare actors in House of Nightmares, and it’s well worth the up-charge.

Grona Lund and Theme Park Review have a long history, and the park treated us very well for the day and the night we were there, starting with a great dinner in their Biergarten. We had filming sessions on Insane (which still lives up to its name), Twister, and Jetline (a classic Schwarzkopf), another great dinner, and access to the VIP area for a rock concert that night. I don’t think anyone was disappointed with Grona Lund.
001.jpg
Welcome to Stockholm. Such a beautiful city.
002.jpg
The hotel was just across the street from the park. It was also in a good location if you wanted to check out some of Stockholm’s museums.
003.jpg
Yes, Deep Purple is still alive--but this wasn’t the concert we saw. The Hollywood Vampires (Alice Cooper, Johnny Depp, and Joe Perry) had also played there recently.
004.jpg
At the park’s main entrance . . .
005.jpg
. . . we met up with the brothers who own the place, and other parks in Scandinavia (including Kolmarden--more on that later).
006.jpg
Who’s ready for beer, schnitzel, more beer . . . it was all excellent. They even had a good band that seemed to cover everyone from the John Denver to AC DC.
007.jpg
Time for a great evening at Grona Lund.
009.jpg
And what better way to burn off that schnitzel than romping around the park’s fun house?
011.jpg
Everyone has their own special technique for climbing the moving stairs.
013.jpg
Opportunities for physical injury abound.
014.jpg
I nearly fell on my butt after being catapulted from these spinning platforms. Good thing I slammed into the wall first.
014a.jpg
Note the sneaky airtime hill at the end of the slide. It’s a great, old-school fun house.
015.jpg
I would’ve liked to been up in that balloon; then again, I would’ve missed out on other cool stuff that night.
016.jpg
Some of the park’s rides were shutdown for a while due to a concert. The singer seemed to be the Swedish version of Andy Williams or maybe Gordon Lightfoot. Here you can see the park’s two drop towers. Fritt Fall/Tilt is on the left and, and Katapulten is on the right. They’re going to add a third--one of those “Falcon’s Fury” Intamin rides. There's a very tall Star Flyer (Eclipse), too.
017.jpg
Twister had a fairly long line that night.
018.jpg
Hmm--I guess they were shooting “Birdemic 2” while we were there.
019.jpg
Hmm--rather forbidding looking after dark. More on this later.
020.jpg
Bla Taget manages to look forbidding and goofy at the same time. More on this later, too.
021.jpg
The park looks great at night--nice use of neon near Jetline.
021a.jpg
Speaking of Jetline, this coaster is great. One of the most unusual layouts of any Schwarzkopf (hell of any coaster made by anybody).
022.jpg
Is it now? ;) In other news, Deep Purple is still alive.
023.jpg
Anth was victorious!
024.jpg
Jake had to settle for this.
025.jpg
Jake, I want you to win one of those giant boxes of Cheez Doodles, then pour it down your throat, along with a whole keg of lager.
026.jpg
It was freakin’ cold up there.
027.jpg
See you in the morning, Grona Lund.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:59 pm

Everybody have a good night's sleep? Time for an early morning at Grona Lund.
028.jpg
Ah, I feel refreshed. How about you?
029.jpg
We heard a short presentation in the park’s theater, then headed out.
030.jpg
So unlike Holiday Park in this regard. ;)
031.jpg
Who’s ready for a filming session on Jetline?
032 - Copy.jpg
This is possibly the twistiest Schwarzkopf creation ever--and maybe the best.
033 - Copy.jpg
The first drop . . .
034 - Copy.jpg
. . . sends you into this huge tube.
034a - Copy.jpg
I lost track of how many times this ride twists around itself.
035 - Copy.jpg
So much crammed into such a small space. Even the chain lift is curved.
036.jpg
The park has improved this ride over the years. For example, magnetic brakes now protect you from that jarring sudden stop so common to Schwarzkopf rides.
037.jpg
We had a walking tour of Bla Taget. I hope Satan likes the food on the train. Amtrak microwaves their hot dogs--yuck!
038.jpg
Welcome to the Church of Cthulu. Time to take the daily offering.
039.jpg
“Mind the track and the runaway train . . .
040.jpg
. . . not to mention the Tesla coils.”
041.jpg
Nice kitty. Why so skittish, you poor wittle kitty cat?
041a.jpg
Oh. That’s why.
042.jpg
“Ugh! Seriously, don’t any of you people wear undergarments of any kind?”
043.jpg
Word of advice: Never give this guy “the finger.”
044.jpg
Sarah bravely leads the way.
045.jpg
This is one of the original 1930s gags: The classic toppling china cabinet.
046.jpg
“Boo! I, Creepy Clock, am here to warn you of the inevitability of your own mortality!”
047.jpg
Dan, Sarah, KT, and Jake were possessed during the tour and will spend eternity washing out demon underpants in Hell!
048.jpg
Time to film some 360-degree video of Twister.
049.jpg
Won’t filming a ride called “Twister” in 360 degrees open a vortex in space and time and bring about the End of Days?
049a.jpg
Nah. I guess not.
050.jpg
Shh! Don’t tell anyone, but . . .
051.jpg
. . . the Wild Mouse is actually a Gerstlauer Bobsled!
051a.jpg
See how it’s all wrapped up with Jetline?
052.jpg
You can watch TPR footage in the queue.
053.jpg
I’m pretty sure this is Grona Lund’s vision of the apocalypse. If so, it’s awesome!
054.jpg
Before our time on Insane, I’d like to show you the greatest amusement-park bathroom ever. I want this in my house.
055.jpg
Never has a ride done more to live up to its name.
056.jpg
I think Sarah agrees with my previous statement.
056a.jpg
Hmm--I think I see what caused Sarah’s predicament.
057.jpg
Enjoy your ride, gents. More to come from Grona Lund.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:35 pm

One last look at Grona Lund.
058.jpg
Derek dreamed of eating tacos in Europe, but had to leave before we went to Grona Lund, thus leaving his dream unfulfilled.
059.jpg
“Aw, that is too bad, Senor Derek. Maybe next time, eh?”
060.jpg
Is this the “bestest ride” in Grona Lund?
061.jpg
Could be.
062.jpg
I think Kvasten is the best Vekoma Family Suspended Coaster anywhere. Why?
063.jpg
How about fire?
064.jpg
I think we’ve worked up our courage enough to brave House of Nightmares.
065.jpg
Dr. Morpheus would like to give you a piece of his mind.
066.jpg
It seems that he has a bad case of zombies . . .
067.jpg
. . . and chain link on the brain.
068.jpg
“Har, har! Don’t worry, folks! I’ll save ya! Chortle, guffaw!”
“I think we’ll try our luck with the zombies, thank you.”
069.jpg
Nothing beats getting a little head.
070.jpg
Ride Insane too many times, and this could happen to you. Understand?
071.jpg
Shaken by House of Nightmares, Hanno underwent a peculiar form of shock treatment to restore his sanity.
072.jpg
Perhaps a soothing ride on the park’s “Tunnel of Love” will calm our jangled nerves.
073.jpg
“Love . . . exciting and new.”
074.jpg
“Come on board . . .
075.jpg
. . . and pleasure yourself, too.”
076.jpg
Here’s the crew that caught that night’s concert.
077.jpg
The VIP section is a good place to get photos of the Tilt, or “nut buster,” side of the drop tower.
078.jpg
Yep. They’re totally Wang Chungin’ down there.
079.jpg
Bloc Party put on a pretty good concert. They're a British group, and this was the first I'd ever heard of them.
080.jpg
You can see the drummer’s set list in this shot.
081.jpg
Two days later, Dan and I walked all the away around the waterfront and ended up at this castle.
082.jpg
That’s where I took this photo. See you later, Grona Lund! Kolmarden is next.
Last edited by cfc on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:22 pm.

Girls don't like me because I can play RCT better than you

Postby TheCoasterKid211 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:50 am

Nice report as always, Chuck! I've actually been listening to Bloc Party for a while now, glad you enjoyed them in concert. Now, about Kolmarden... ;)
| |Alpengeist| |Cheetah Hunt| |Kumba| |Mako| |Intimidator 305| |
"Yeah, I like coasters. Yes, I'm a kid. Don't know what the 211 means, but whatever." Check out my TR thread!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby viking86 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:53 am

Awesome report Chuck! Gröna Lund is a really cool little park! Love the photos from the backstage tour of Blå Tåget, always fun to see what these rides look like with lights on. Thanks for sharing!

Looking forward to Kolmården! :)

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:42 pm

TheCoasterKid211 wrote:Nice report as always, Chuck! I've actually been listening to Bloc Party for a while now, glad you enjoyed them in concert. Now, about Kolmarden... ;)

Deep Purple is more my style--or at least from my "era." ;)

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:16 pm

cfc wrote:Some of the park’s rides were shutdown for a while due to a concert. The singer seemed to be the Swedish version of Andy Williams or maybe Gordon Lightfoot.

A Gordon Lightfoot concert is one of the few events that I'd forgive the park for shutting down its rides! (Been "awhile" since I had the pleasure of his midnight concert in Carnegie Hall!!!) :lmao:

Thanks, Chuck, for your fun report. As always, you 'have a way with words." :lol:

Alice

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:08 pm

Chapter 10
You Know, There’s More Here than Wildfire--Kolmarden

Kolmarden is one big zoo. We’re talking huge here. Or as a certain presidential candidate might say, “y-u-u-u-u-u-ge.” Then promptly claim that he has something even bigger. It’s also the home of some new ride some of you may have heard about, Wildfire, which, like the zoo, is also huge.

Kolmarden’s map says it’s a 40-minute walk from the coaster to the park entrance. Believe the map! The park wraps around a large wildlife habitat filled with lion, tigers, and bears (oh my) and lots of other animals from all over the world. At one time, it was a drive-through habitat like the old Lion Country Safari, but now the main wildlife habitat is spanned by a gondola ride that lasts nearly half an hour.

But what about Wildfire? Did it live up to this rather bold claim we saw at Grona Lund?

Hmm . . . is it “the greatest wooden roller coaster in the world”? I can’t speak for others, but for me, it’s definitely in the top five somewhere. RMC has done it again! The first drop is truly terrifying, there’s lots of air, and the inversions are incredible--particularly the corkscrews (or are they zero g rolls?) toward the end. The only minor problem is the finish. Once you whip through those out-of-your-seat corkscrews, the train takes a right, barely clears one last hill, and just seems to meander to the final brake run. That being said, it would be pretty tough to top that last inversion, as it’s the single best moment of the ride. Overall, this is a great coaster and a huge win for Kolmarden, especially after all the hurdles they had to clear to get it built.

Wildfire also benefits from a beautiful setting and breathtaking views. I love how the train speeds past huge boulders and rock outcrops. We were even the first group to ride one of Wildfire’s trains after the RMC crew had finished testing it.

Our day at Kolmarden was every bit as great as our time at Grona Lund. We enjoyed some up-close encounters with lions and tigers and were treated to a excellent lunch in “The Lodge,” a cabin tucked away under Wildfire.

Here’s a look at what Kolmarden has to offer in addition to another amazing RMC coaster.
001.jpg
Rule #1 at Kolmarden: Do not annoy the gorilla.
002.jpg
What? They have coasters here?
003.jpg
Who knew?
004.jpg
Coasters and theming, it would seem.
005.jpg
“There’s been a hoot owl by my window now . . .”
006.jpg
Beware as they have been known to crap in the woods.
007.jpg
“She ran calling Wild . . .” holy crap, look at that first drop! Oh, the humanity!
008.jpg
Wait! What happened to all the people . . . oh, they’re just testing. Whew!
009.jpg
Now that is one stylish train.
010.jpg
Lots of sawmill theming in the station. Very well done.
011.jpg
This is called a “Dutch angle.” It’s used to heighten tension and create a sinister atmosphere. Did it work?
012.jpg
This is the main angle I’m interested in.
013.jpg
More on Wildfire later, as Sarah contemplates a new hairstyle.
014.jpg
Tigers are new to Sweden.
015.jpg
They came here a little over 100 years ago just for the meatballs. True story.
016.jpg
Everything changed after the Tiger Apocalypse.
017.jpg
Based on the extension of the tongue, I think the tiger is ready for lunch. That tongue is as rough as sandpaper, and the the tiger uses it to scrape the meat off of fallen prey. Isn’t that adorable?
018.jpg
“Hmm . . . I think a little garlic and pepper, and you folks will be delicious.”
019.jpg
The last survivors of humanity huddle together for safety as Nature reclaims the world.
020.jpg
It’s interesting being part of the exhibit.
021.jpg
Rule #2 at Kolmarden: Do not annoy the tigers.
022.jpg
Leave the feeding to the professionals.
023.jpg
“What? Canned food again? I am so going to pee on you for this.”
024.jpg
Whaddaya mean the tiger’s got the keys? Dammit!
025.jpg
After surviving the Tiger Apocalypse, we stopped to feed these little guys.
026.jpg
Our next stop was the viewing bunker in the lion habitat, which took us under the Safari skyway. More on this later.
027.jpg
“Cooked just the way I like it; that is, not cooked at all.”
028.jpg
“I’m thinking a nice teriyaki marinade, then smoke them for a few hours over mesquite. How about you?”
“Works for me.”
029.jpg
“I think I’ll stick to this horse carcass. I like suckin’ the marrow outta the bones.”
030.jpg
Now, this is the way to go on safari.
031.jpg
Hey, there’s Wild . . . holy crap, look at that first drop!
032.jpg
They have animals from all over the world here.
033.jpg
As part of the tour, you can feed them salad from the gondola.
034.jpg
“Don’t look now, but I think someone just dropped a mess of green stuff over there.”
“Maybe the other gondola has a bucket of balsamic vinegarette dressing.”
034a.jpg
"Meh. We prefer bleu cheese." More to come.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:51 pm

Great report. The fact that you can get that close to the tigers and feed animals from the Skyway is awesome. I haven't heard much about this place that didn't include Wildfire but we're big animal people and that may be just as big of a draw for us honestly.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm

One last look at Kolmarden.
035.jpg
If you look closely at my first Wildfire picture, you might notice the roof of a cabin.
036.jpg
It’s a very nice place to have lunch and just hang out.
037.jpg
It offers a great view, as well.
038.jpg
It was pouring rain after lunch, so we took in the indoor dolphin show. Here, using a pink ball, the dolphins try to warn humanity about the upcoming Tiger Apocalypse.
039.jpg
“They’re not listening to us, Fred.”
“Then let the tigers eat ‘em, Frank,”
040.jpg
Unlike Grona Lund, there were no tacos here.
041.jpg
Welcome to Bamse's World, where if you step out of line, Bamse will eat his magic honey, gain super powers, and tear you head off. (Well, he probably won’t kill you. But this land is based on a bear in a Swedish kid show that does eat magic honey, which gives him powers but makes people sick to their stomachs for three days.)
042.jpg
It’s a very nice looking kids area, . . .
043.jpg
. . . with a credit.
044.jpg
Behold the power of Zierer!
045.jpg
Whoa! Someone dumped a big log here!
046.jpg
I suspect the troll.
047.jpg
They had a nice learning center for kids, too.
048.jpg
“So I said, ‘Oh yeah? Well, fricasee this!’ And I’ll be damned--they did!”
049.jpg
KT does not like it when people step on snails and slugs.
050.jpg
“Don’t mind me--I’m just a bear tossin’ a bowling ball. Oh, and have you heard about the coming Tiger Apocalypse?
051.jpg
“Come closer. Closer. NOW YOU DIE!”
052.jpg
A further sign of the Tiger Apocalypse--a Satanic raccoon! (Also known as a red panda.)
052a.jpg
As it is often said, at least when it comes to Disney movies from the 1960s, everything is better with monkeys.
052b.jpg
“Either buy a drink, or get the hell outta my bar! This ain't no waitin' room."
053.jpg
There’s another coaster here.
054.jpg
Of course, it is a bit dwarfed by the coaster next door.
055.jpg
But it is themed to dolphins, so I guess there’s that.
056.jpg
We had more ERT on Wild . . . holy crap, look at that first drop!
057.jpg
I think Kolmarden has a hit on their hands.
058.jpg
Unless I miss my guess, these riders seem to agree with me.
059.jpg
I'm reasonably sure they're having fun. Just a hunch.
059a (2).jpg
This is single craziest element.
059a.jpg
There’s much to love about this ride.
060.jpg
Am I right, folks?
061.jpg
The intensity of the experience caused some people to contemplate the meaning of existence.
062.jpg
For Jake, it’s all about having a good time.
063.jpg
Uh oh! Dan’s seen me! Better run!
064.jpg
I’ll leave you with these words of wisdom. Thanks for reading!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!