TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports Land

^ No, it wasn't too scary for Disney. It was too scary for those who took their children into it,

not bothering to read all of the warning signs Disney put at the entrance to it.

And then, they all complained about it being "too scary" for their kids. So Disney unfortunately

listened, and it turned into Stitch....whatever.

Maybe Disney could revitalize Alien Encounter when they get that Dark Kingdom park built at WDW.

(Pardon the sidebar about this.)

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great TRs! Seems like you guys really know how to have a good time! Copious amounts of alcohol, cheetah hats, and hopefully lots of orca pics to come. Oh yeah.

Although, I will have to say that Congo River Rapids was my favorite water ride at Busch Gardens when I worked there last summer and my favorite rapids ride overall. Yes, I got completely soaked every time I rode it, but it was just a lot of fun riding with the kids and freaking out and screaming any time anyone got splashed, and placing bets on who would get wettest. I probably wouldn't have liked it as much if I just went with adults hoping for a light spritzing.

Your reviews of Kumba and Montu were perfect. Oh, and I kinda liked Iceploration. Had to have seen it at least half a dozen times. It's just so cheesy it's hilarious!

And I'm glad you spoke up about your Disney criticism, very brave of you. Every time I go to a Disney park, I think, "Wow, that really is something else, but don't plan on coming back again for a while." There are a handful of really great rides, but I found that I can do them all in one day and be satisfied (I even did all the choice rides at all 4 WDW parks in one day, but probably won't try that again), and I really don't like the chaotic Disney-crazed families and little kid crowds. It's so expensive too. There are so many other parks I could spend the money on that people spend for a week at the WDW parks. Still worth a visit if you've never been, but I'd probably go back for Universal, Busch Gardens, or Seaworld before I would for Disney.

Space Mountain is badass! The last time I was at MK they were still doing actual tickets for FP. Technology baffles me so using frustrating apps for Fast Passes wouldn't work out well on my end and once every decade is often enough for me to visit. Animal Kingdom is my favorite Disney park and you'd love it too for all the animals and Expedition Everest! However, I haven't been to BGT so I can't compare that to AK and Off-Road Safari at SFGAdv. Bring it on, Shamu!

• 1 month later...

^ Thanks guys!

Clearly this thread is evidence of my laziness but I'm backed up on reports I have to do (Including La Ronde because I really, really need to sh*t on La Ronde and the "Jersey-Shore-Credit-Whore-Tour-2016-Ft.-Boldikus,-Alcohol-and-The-World's-Greatest-Log-Flume-Watch-The-F**King-Tram-Car-Please-You-Drunk-A**hole Trip Report ®)"

Footnote: The second one is just a working title for now but I think it has a nice ring to it.

But anyway I promised you Sea World and that means you'll get Sea World. Our visit was right before the opening of Mako but that wasn't the end of the world. We'll be back, and for us the big draw to Sea World isn't the coasters anyway.

I don't know if you guys know but we love the hell out of Sea World. I'm pretty sure my fiance is the only person who goes to Florida specifically for Sea World. They're amazing and they do amazing things for animals. We don't just sip the Sea World Kool Aid, we drink it out of a funnel... a biodegradable earth conscious funnel because otherwise the funnel can wind up in the one ocean (that we all share) and we want to be everyday heroes by recycling the metaphorical funnel.

IMG_2100.thumb.JPG.0b8cd9214d69f0f8d776bd1e044aaab8.JPG

Our day started out at Shamu Stadium! For those who aren't familiar, Shamu Stadium is a stadium that has Shamu in it.

IMG_2098.thumb.JPG.27ef5f32a87a82d343ae98aea739dfd7.JPG

See... would I lie to you people?

Before the first showing of One Ocean, Sea World had an informational show about whales at 11:00. That was our first stop and I highly recommend it. After the show we hung out in the area and waited for One Ocean to start.

IMG_2102.thumb.JPG.3797026bc6f57bc38712e875b48c3d63.JPG

Look at that huge crowd of people that also don't buy into PETA's bull***.

IMG_2109.thumb.JPG.5e06ba902026c6bd10dd3a239b1327ca.JPG

So awesome...

One thing I really liked was that Shamu Statdium was always open to the public, so before and after the shows you could get up close and personal with the whales and the trainers in a really relaxed environment. The trainers were very informative and it's clear that they think of each and every whale as a member of their families. They could all go on for days talking about their individual personalities and behaviors.

IMG_2122.thumb.JPG.c26bde14801f13055fce163d621aedc1.JPG

Whale Hi!

(See what I did there?)

... because they're whales.

IMG_2124.thumb.JPG.a4d3b4fc930ee2624b966fbaefb02abc.JPG

Brit was so happy at this point that she was about to explode.

Anyway I know this is a site full of coaster people so I guess I should stop talking about whales and start talking about the coasters. Even though Mako wasn't open they still had 2 great coasters open in Manta and Kraken and we managed to get a ride on both of them. So from now on I promise I'll focus on that and I won't post any more whale pictures...

IMG_2127.thumb.JPG.1941086f4eced299b61a79278007ceed.JPG

Pfffffffffft....

Okay fine...

After we spent about 2 hours in Shamu stadium we headed over to the front of the park for some rides. Sadly I didn't get a ton of pictures because my camera roll was full of Shamu (that's what happens when I give Brit the phone) but they were all running great. We managed a ride on Atlantis with a 10 minute wait and a walk on to Kraken.

IMG_2137.thumb.JPG.7964fec840d4d91e9ea6100b46170797.JPG

I made a new buddy on the way over to Kraken.

I'm a big Journey to Atlantis fan. While some of the dark ride portion is a little dated it's still a great ride, and I love the splashdown finale. Sadly we were paired with an annoying group of teenagers, but they got sent to row 1 so we got some satisfaction after watching the ride try to drown them. Anyone familiar with the ride knows that after the big drop, there's a small drop after the turnaround that's entirely uneventful in most rows but is pretty much the god damn Poseidon Adventure in the front. That shut them up real quick. Have fun in the family dryer, d*ckbags.

After Atlantis we headed over to Manta. I absolutely love this ride. The queue is awesome, the scenery around the ride is awesome, the layout is awesome... I could go on for days. This is the star coaster at Sea World.

IMG_2155.thumb.JPG.4af6191a23d293bc33a5693b946946fe.JPG

I firmly believe that Manta is the best coaster in Orlando, does anyone agree?

Well, that was your one photo of a ride. I hope you liked it.

We tried to ride Antarctica after Manta but the line was posted at 45 minutes. It's a well known fact that this ride sucks, but luckily the non-riders line was only 10 minutes so we hopped in. I absolutely love the Antarctica exhibit. The ride is terrible but the exhibit makes up for all of it.

IMG_2139.thumb.JPG.73af1b229ef5096f4b5a42931b1089bc.JPG

So amazing. So much bird sh*t... We're approaching "Raptor Supports" level of bird sh*t.

On land these penguins walk around like I do when I'm walking out of the bar after last call, but as soon as they jump into the water they're incredibly graceful.

IMG_2144.thumb.JPG.a8a629dbac2302d25af6c2215761723b.JPG

This guy was particularly entertaining.

We were actually pretty short on time despite having the entire day in the park, so for the rest of the day we sort of rushed around. We went through Wild Arctic but didn't have time to do the simulator (which let's be honest isn't a huge loss) and checked out Turtle Trek but without going through the theater (which once again isn't a huge loss).

We also made our way into the shark encounter. I have to say Mako has really breathed some life into this area. What was once really dated is now a very modern, bright and inviting section of the park. I'm thrilled with the new addition and with the way it's transformed the area.

IMG_2133.thumb.JPG.6c0dcb7390c2632e697afc9a4a472b33.JPG

Such a tease...

IMG_2132.thumb.JPG.51a4dd809ab7314efc891a5e313c4593.JPG

Whee!

IMG_2101.thumb.JPG.d05decbb1b57e7b08bfd7492e43dcc4c.JPG

I'm a shaaaaaaaaaahk I'm a shaaaaaaaaaahk. I'll leave it at that. Whatever you do, don't Google "I'm a Shark".

IMG_2148.thumb.JPG.82238dcc314d52f7ac50e266dab89db0.JPG

Welp... the Wild Arctic store is closed. Brit bought everything.

By that point it was about time to leave, but we made one last stop over by the dolphins. You used to be able to reach in and pet them, but because people are unbearable idiots and thought that was an invitation to "pet" their faces or their blowholes and then blame the park when the dolphin lightly nipped them they did away with that. Luckily you could still pet them if they came up on the wall which rarely happened because unlike most of the guests at the park that day, dolphins aren't stupid and they're entirely sick of dealing with stupid people all day.

IMG_2157.thumb.JPG.840f6b12b5ba39af6f706f392e4a08f6.JPG

This guy finally came over and let us pet him. Thanks for taking one for the team. Your dolphin friends all thank you.

After our dolphin encounter it was time to leave. We had a great day at Sea World and highly recommend it to anyone. It has a much more laid back feel than most Florida parks and is underappreciated for how beautiful of a park it actually is. It's a must-do for us on every trip to Florida.

IMG_2150.thumb.JPG.82ed1e407cb514df304078be88dc85fc.JPG

Bye Sea World! Thanks for a great day!

IMG_2162.thumb.JPG.94888d2ac2222cac91bf2650a8e24d9e.JPG

And a few (LOL okay more than a few) margaritas for the flight home!

Edited by coasterbill

wait. . sky tower was running?

(it seemed to be in the 2nd to last pic). .you lucky, lucky dogs.. .

and all those pics of Shamu, but not one riding them (the photo op in front of the stadium) ??

how did you miss that?

It was which we've never seen before, but sadly we didn't have time to ride it. When we go to parks Brit usually goes along with whatever I want to do, so at Sea World aside from my request of 1 ride on Kraken, Manta and Atlantis I just do whatever she wants to do. It was between Sky Tower and looking at the Sea Turtles so she obviously picked the Sea Turtles. If it's between an animal and anything not involving an animal she'll pick the animal 100% of the time.

Bill, you need to post more trip reports! Somehow I didn't see this when it was first posted, but I just read through this thread and it's fantastic. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming trip reports.

I've never really payed much attention to Montu, but over the past few days I've just been watching videos of that thing over and over because I can't believe that B&M did that. I know there's only so much you can pull out of a POV, but holy crap that batwing looks insane.

TPR ALWAYS needs more orca photos! Thank you! I've been a huge fan of orcas since I was two and visited Marine World (now SFDK). So I was an orca fan longggg before I was ever a coaster fan! I still feel like a five-year-old when I go to Seaworld and get to see the orcas. I could definitely spend 2 hours at Shamu Stadium

Sadly, I'll probably never realize my dream of getting to pet an orca, but I loveeee petting the dolphins and it's awesome that you guys got to do that! When I visited SWSD last year, I waited at the dolphin encounter for a long time before I was finally rewarded. I never got to stick around it in Orlando, but at SWSD they had special sessions with the trainers and they had mercy on us hungry dolphin lovers and brought the dolphin around for us to pet a few times. Coasters + orcas (or dolphins at least) = best day ever!

Love me some Sea World, but am really looking forward to this...

Clearly this thread is evidence of my laziness but I'm backed up on reports I have to do (Including La Ronde because I really, really need to sh*t on La Ronde and the "Jersey-Shore-Credit-Whore-Tour-2016-Ft.-Boldikus,-Alcohol-and-The-World's-Greatest-Log-Flume-Watch-The-F**King-Tram-Car-Please-You-Drunk-A**hole Trip Report ®)"

I say stick with the Jersey Shore Credit Whore+++ title and as far as La Ronde, I think the "I really, really need to sh*t on La Ronde" is the perfect title for that report!

The longer you make us wait for these "Sh*t On LaRonde" and "Jersey Shore Credit Whore Tour" reports the better they have to be. You have raised our expectations with this stellar Florida chronicle, and now the streets is hungry.

sidewalk.gif.464eff90b2c9a44a8b6161ea65464e68.gif

Thanks for the great feedback everyone.

You're a sterling member of this site and a great man, Coasterbill. Love the reports!

^ I like this guy

Okay! Here's Part 1 of the La Ronde Report. Buckle up...

DISCLAIMER: I usually like to be positive in my trip reports because I usually enjoy every park we go to, but this is going to be difficult with La Ronde. If you like this park for some reason (lol then again does anybody?) and get upset when people bash it, DO NOT READ THIS REPORT. You've been warned.

----------------------------

Over Memorial Day weekend we decided to make our first trip up to Montreal. We didn’t know what to expect. We didn’t speak the language, we didn’t know too much about the city and even though we were only 5 hours from home it felt like we were planning a trip to an entirely different world. Some may laugh at this but we’d never ventured anywhere where English wasn’t the primary language and we really weren’t sure how the experience would be.

I’m happy to say though that the city is amazing. The culture is wonderful. People are friendly and unlike in America they’re always welcoming of foreigners even if they can’t speak the language (though we tried but our attempts were piss poor to say the least). Montreal is an amazing place. The cobblestone streets are filled with history. Everywhere you look there are small French eateries, some of the best food in the world, amazing architecture, cute little shops and tons of great people watching.

The city as a whole has an incredible vibe to it. It’s very welcoming, a cultural melting pot and even though everyone can’t always understand one another everyone was incredibly friendly, helpful and generally very happy.

That being said, every city has it’s scars. Away from the carnival atmosphere, the happiness, the fun and the incredible culture there’s a depressed part of town. They tried to hide it… they even put it out on an island away from the city so people wouldn’t notice it. It stands in stark contrast to the fun, festive and unique nature of the city. It’s cold, it’s generic and it’s miserable. Some say the sun never shines there. A mysterious sh*thole on an island out in the abyss. What’s the name of this sh*thole you ask? The locals call it, “La Ronde”.

At “La Ronde” everything is generic and lifeless. Soulless clone after soulless clone is separated only by decrepit walkways and mostly crumbling buildings. Anything that breaks goes unrepaired. Trains sit un-dispatched for what seems like ages and ages. Urban legend says that once a train goes into the transfer area on one of their rides it sits there forever to rust… never to be seen again until all rides are left with just a single, lonely train.

… okay, okay I’ll stop. But god damn this park sucks. Like what the hell? Six Flags really outdid themselves this time. Generally speaking with any park we visit we can find some positives. Sure, there’s no such thing as a perfect park and every park has it’s flaws (well… unless you happen to be in Elysburg, PA) but this park is an absolute dumpster fire.

225266163_Pic1.thumb.JPG.82f012d5779681c0946504422e5f5eb1.JPG

This would be a really nice little boardwalk / walkway, but you can't walk on it because it's fallen into a state of disrepair and they have no intention of ever fixing it. Welcome to La Ronde. Have a Six Flags Day.

We arrived on a Satuday around noon and planned to spend the remainder of the day there and then return the next morning for passholder ERT on Goliath and finish riding whatever we didn’t get to ride earlier before spending the rest of the day in the city.

Upon arrival we were directed to the back parking lot so it was apparent that the park was pretty busy. We entered the park planning to get the bad rides (aka just about every ride in the park) out of the way first and then hit Vampire and Goliath last. It quickly became apparent that those rides might have to wait until the next day since the Vampire crew was stacking trains and taking names and the ride had a 2 hour wait and thanks to VR, Goliath had a 3 hour wait and was averaging 10-12 minute dispatches.

That being said we wanted to start our La Ronde adventure off with a bang so we decided to seek out a real winner to start off our day. Scanning the park map we came across "Super Manège". According to Google this means “Super Horsemanship” but it’s the ugliest horse I’ve ever seen so we went with RCDB’s translation of “Super Ride”.

Well okay, La Ronde! You’re feeling confident today. In America we name our amazing rides things like “Maverick” and “El Toro”, but I guess in Canada when you have a coaster that’s this wonderful and amazing you proudly announce it to the world by declaring it “Super Ride”. Obviously our expectations were through the roof as we approached this piece of Vekoma greatness.

We strapped ourselves in for our super-riding-horsemanship adventure and prepared to embrace the greatness and um… yeah

255567773_Pic2.thumb.JPG.4ef49c704a4d066f96c41c41aa3096cf.JPG

Lol such false advertising...

Good thing this isn’t America or someone would sue them for false advertising. To be fair the ride wasn’t that bad, but it was far from good and it’s name had us convinced that French Canadians had a pretty sick sense of humor.

After the super horsemanship ride we decided to continue the greatness and make out way over to Cobra. An Intamin stand-up coaster. Besides the Carowinds Vortex I despise all stand-up coasters but I was particularly worried about this one since I’ve never heard a single good thing about Intamin standups. The queue line is a joke, the paint is chipping off of everything and the ride sounds like death every time the train (notice how “train” is singular… that’s a recurring theme) pulls into the “station” (if you could call it that). Let’s forget about the ride experience for a second, this is the ugliest god damn ride ever. Somebody please paint the thing and go to Home Depot and buy some mulch. Sorry I mean go to "Home Depot: L'Entrepot de la Renovation du Quebec" and buy some “le mulch” for “le sh*tty montagnes russe Manège le painful dumpster fire piece of sh*t ” (my French is really good, and to anyone who lives in Quebec… yes, Americans are all as dumb as you’ve heard, I’m living proof of that).

I didn’t really take any pictures of this ride (you’re welcome for that), but it was terrible. Not quite as terrible as I expected (I think Riddler’s Revenge and Green Lantern are worse) but it was pretty terrible.

331941149_Pic3.thumb.JPG.6c85ba9fd8f43d258ef349a6c10cba7a.JPG

At this point we were still forming an opinion on the park so we tried to make it look good. Look at us... so hopeful... so full of optimism... so naive.

Determined to keep the mojo going our next stop was Le Monstre. We honestly didn’t know what to expect going into this one but figured the ride had potential to be pretty good (Spoiler Alert: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) and we needed a break from the crap.

526645928_Pic4.thumb.JPG.c1ca71518145a63ee934671a28753905.JPG

The ride certainty looks imposing

This ride has 2 tracks (that don't race) but as far as I’m concerned the ride is one credit because neither of us had the patience to ride this crap twice so we got in line and were pleased to see that they were running both sides so the ride was probably running efficiently and the line would probably move fast (Spoiler Alert: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA). As the line dragged (and dragged) on we realized that both sides were running 1 ridiculously short train and taking forever to dispatch it so actually while the line was on the ramp the entire time we ended up waiting an hour. Somehow we got a front seat ride and I have to say, while pretty good for La Ronde, this ride sucks. Some of it had topper track on it which obviously rode nicely, but the rest of the ride was a jackhammering nightmare with no airtime, interesting moments or redeeming qualities.

1972176940_Pic5.thumb.JPG.8f456a09832100707136ad00d570ab4f.JPG

The ride is visually appealing (which at La Ronde is a welcome change) but god does it ever suck.

After Le Monstre we were honestly getting exhausted with the crap rides. We thought of riding Goliath but the 3 hour wait and atrocious dispatch times deterred us so we bit the bullet and decided to go for the SLC.

Let me take a break for a second and point out that this ride actually looks really nice. The entrance area is themed, the location is great, the paint looks like it was applied this century and it was (brace yourselves) running TWO TRAINS!!!!!!!. Seriously though the queue area was impressive. I mean, it’s not Disney. But after suffering through the queue for Cobra and Monstre a “Loch Ness Monster” level queue line seems like Tokyo Disney Sea.

1641975350_Pic6.thumb.JPG.ae9494bfb9d18a2e352bef7e7d6c959f.JPG

I love the placement of this ride.

Wow, I just realized I spent a few seconds praising the park, but don’t worry because now it’s time to talk about how the thing actually rode. Yeah… this ride sucks. Don’t get me wrong, for an SLC it’s one of the better ones. It’s better than Mind Eraser at SFA and SFNE, Fly the Great Nor Easter and it’s horrific Canadian cousin at Wonderland but even a good SLC is still a terrible ride. I don’t really have much more to say, so let’s move on… even talking about this park is exhausting.

After that we had over an hour before park close, so we figured we’d go ride Dragon and then finally hit Goliath and end the day on a high note. Dragon is an indoor coaster that we purposely did no research on. I have to say, this thing is easily the third best coaster in the park. The theming was cheesy and dumb but at least it was there. This is a fun little coaster and I actually have nothing bad to say about it. Kudos La Ronde! Things were looking up and we still had 30 minutes to get in line for Goliah!

Just kidding. And as soon as we started liking the place they had to go and “La Ronde” it up. Apparently the park closes all coaster lines 30 minutes before closing as one final reminder of the pure sucktitude of the park on your way out. We were almost defeated, ready to leave but then we learned that there was still one coaster operating. We still had a chance to end the day on a high note! What great news. Excited we ran over to the coaster to get one last credit for the day...

Ugh... it's the f**king Boomerang. Sorry "le" f**king Boomerang.

471261932_Pic7.thumb.JPG.2bee4b12dba67625690f988a1b8bd320.JPG

This has to be a joke right?

Now I have to say that Brit and I were still optimistic. We don’t share in everyone’s hatred of Boomerangs and while some suck, we enjoy a lot of them like Flashback at SFNE, Sea Serpant at Morey’s and Carolina Cobra. We both decided that as bad as the park was, we’d both be happy with a nice boomerang ride to end the day as long as it rode like one of the better ones. Some of them were a little rough but dammit we had reason for optimism. (Spoiler Alert: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)

Okay this is the worst boomerang possibly ever. Not only does it do that typical boomerang thing where it slams to a stop 500 times in the station when it parks, but the entire thing is a headbanging nightmare. How is this thing allowed to operate? Seriously how????

So that put an end to our first day at La Ronde. We were pretty exhausted at that point (because this park is exhausting) so we headed back to the hotel for a few drinks and to get a good night sleep so we could get up early for ERT and then spend the rest of the day in Montreal.

That concludes part 1 of the La Ronde trip report, but first let’s play a game. The game is called…

Is this a backstage area at La Ronde that we snuck into in order to bury a dead hooker or is this seriously a major midway that’s one of the first things you see when you enter the park?

2042944182_Pic8.thumb.JPG.6c6185aba8602e2045665379691f6360.JPG

What do you think? I'm leaning towards the dead hooker...

The answer to that question (and more) in part 2. Get hyped!!

And for any locals who are offended, while I hate the park, I'm going to gush all over the greatness of your city in part 2. Please don't hate me yet.

Edited by coasterbill

Maybe I just got lucky when I went to La Ronde for half a day when I got to Montreal early for a conference. Went in with extremely low expectations and intentions to only really ride Goliath, the Batman Clone, Monster, and Dragon but I remember actually having a pretty decent day. Yeah, it's not the best park in the world and it had some run down abandoned looking areas (maybe they film zombie movies there, isn't there a lot of tv/movie production in Montreal?), but other areas seemed nice enough. The fort, the kids section, and the area around Dragon and Ednor were actually kinda pleasant. The crowds were pretty light in the morning I went and I was there the same weekend as the international fireworks competition (yes that's actually a thing) so maybe they picked the place up a bit. Overall I was expecting the worse but ended up having fun.

Why did you go to La Ronde? CW is, like, 4 hours away.

A few reasons,

1) We went to Canada's Wonderland / Toronto / Niagara Falls / Marineland last year

2) Because we had never been to Montreal and wanted to go, and it didn't disappoint. We enjoyed the city itself much more than we enjoyed Toronto simply because Toronto really felt like any American city and there wasn't anything that made it terribly unique. We went to a Blue Jays game which was fun and did the CN Tower Edge Walk which was amazing, but the city itself was very generic (though very nice) while Montreal is simply oozing with culture.

3) Because the beer in Toronto sucks. Like seriously... god damn.

Awesome reports, Bill. To turn back time a bit, is Fun Spot a pay per ride kind of park if I wanted to stop in to ride White Lightning? I was hoping this was the case so Emily and I could stop on on Saturday night after Sea World, but when I last looked I was too dumb to find anything conclusive on their website.

When we went to La Ronde, I was doing the same thing - saying things like, "That ride La sucked" & "La Ronde La sucked" quite often during our visit. Other than La Goliath and La Vampire, I can't recall any other good ride there. Maybe that weird indoor coaster thing?

Luckily like you, the city of Montreal with the good food, architecture and friendly people more than made up for our day at this shit-hole of a park. I have no desire to go back there....even if they RMC'ed La Monstre or whatever the hell it's called.

Well, perhaps I might be convinced to go back if TPR ever did a bash there...with unlimited alcohol. Then I could see having a fun time there!