Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 660 - Sidewinder Safari Roller Coaster Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby edgeboy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:50 am

When I was there on Sunday, same thing happened. All three rides were down. Joker seemed to go down a lot, and Superman was going down a lot as well. V2 tested in the morning, but then didn't open until late afternoon.

We got lucky to ride Joker at all. Saw it test before the park opened on Sunday, went to it. Wasn't open. Waited about an our (second group in line, and that's when we saw Superman broke about twice), finally opened it. We got on the first ride, made it to the final brake run, and it broke again. They didn't even load the 2nd train that was waiting in the station. Sat on the final brake run for maybe 10 minutes. However, they were super nice, and let us ride again for the inconvenience (we were on the unshaded brake run), so that was cool. But I felt a little bad for the people who had to wait extra long just board the next train... took them a while.

I haven't heard of a recent RCM have this much trouble. I believe most have had occasional problems, but this one seems different somehow. Is this unusual? Even TC, while not always racing, seems to at least mostly be working.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Fire2box » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:16 am

Kong is getting remov, I mean getting a Samsung VR addition in late september.

Now, how would you possibly ride it defensively now. :devil:

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Location: 2 hours and a border crossing from the nearest theme park, Cedar Point.

Postby TheJewelOfJool » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:44 am

Fire2box wrote:Kong is getting remov, I mean getting a Samsung VR addition in late september.

It's all part of a secret plan to boost chiropractor businesses! Wake up sheeple!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:37 am

TheJewelOfJool wrote:
Fire2box wrote:Kong is getting remov, I mean getting a Samsung VR addition in late september.

It's all part of a secret plan to boost chiropractor businesses! Wake up sheeple!

Yeah this an absolutely terrible idea. You really have to see where you're going on this coaster to brace yourself. Plus they already have a hard enough time with dispatch times on Kong, this is just a bad idea all around. With Revolution I'm willing to at least try the VR and see what it's like, but I don't think I'll do that on Kong. Too much pain.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:43 am

This might actually be the worst idea ever. :lol:

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby SteelForceless » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:48 am

Why would you put VR on an SLC? That's a horrible idea! The only way I could see it working is if after the drop the footage consists of gargoyles attacking and mauling you as the ride does it in the real world.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Location: 2 hours and a border crossing from the nearest theme park, Cedar Point.

Postby TheJewelOfJool » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:49 am

coasterbill wrote:This might actually be the worst idea ever. :lol:

Worse than making ANOTHER The Land Before Time sequel when the last one was released 9 years ago?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:52 am

TheJewelOfJool wrote:
coasterbill wrote:This might actually be the worst idea ever. :lol:

Worse than making ANOTHER The Land Before Time sequel when the last one was released 9 years ago?

That's the best you could do? If you wanted to make a terrible sequel joke you could at least go with this flaming turd (which I consider to be, without hesitation, the single worst movie ever made)...

I'm pretty sure nobody that's seen it would really disagree.

Anyway wow, we really steered that off topic.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:18 am

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom has sent us a press release regarding their new VR experience, Rage of the Gargoyles, being offered to riders on Kong.

The ultimate interactive Virtual Reality (VR) coaster experience, featuring Samsung Gear VR powered by Oculus, is coming to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom this fall as demonic creatures battle terrified riders in the all-new Rage of the Gargoyles debuting on Kong, the park’s floorless looping roller coaster, just in time for Fright Fest® starting September 24.

“Six Flags is the leader in innovation and thrills and we are excited to introduce the VR coaster experiences to our guests at Discovery Kingdom,” said Don McCoy, park president. “In Rage of the Gargoyles, the experience is immersive and terrifying as riders shoot at the demons throughout the entire ride ‒ the perfect addition to our Fright Fest line-up.”

Among the thrilling highlights:

• High-definition imagery and storytelling that sync with the track configuration creating a one-of-a-kind “real world” to “virtual world” thrill-ride;
  • For the first time ever on a rollercoaster, riders can engage in interactive gaming throughout the entire ride experience by shooting at flying demons; and
  • Unique sophisticated head-movement targeting to instantly lock on a moving target without the need for a touchpad or buttons to fire.

The realistic theme puts the rider in the action similar to a video game experience. Riders are pilots seated in the cockpit of an Apache-style helicopter, flying through a devastated cityscape of a dark and dreary future as part of a fleet of choppers ready to battle winged creatures to the end. Both the pilot and their realistic foes are virtually engaged in a battle all while racing over the 2,170 feet of twisting, turning, looping coaster track.

The action starts quickly when riders ascend up the lift hill while realistic, blood-thirsty gargoyles terrorize them by scratching and clawing, jumping mercilessly atop the seemingly fragile glass barrier as the rider tries desperately to shoot their demonic targets. The epic conflict accelerates as riders are forced to navigate through the hazardous city streets, up and over broken-down skyscrapers while avoiding obstacles and lethal assaults from the gargoyles, all the while shooting to repel the demons. It is up to the pilot to attack the vicious master gargoyle, who is vehement on challenging anyone who crosses his path. There is a surprise ending that will be sure to leave riders shocked and amazed.

Kong will close after August and make its Virtual Reality debut with modified restraints and enhanced track work. Guests 13 and older may opt to ride with the VR headset or without, to enjoy Kong as a traditional coaster attraction. Fright Fest is Northern California’s biggest and scariest Halloween event as the park is completely transformed for thrills by day and fright by night, and features haunted mazes, scare zones and monstertainment.

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, the thrill capital of Northern California, is located in Vallejo, CA and open year round on weekends, holidays and select dates, including daily during the summer. Fright Fest runs on weekends and select Fridays from September 24 through October 30. For park information visit: http://www.sixflags.com/discoverykingdom.
unnamed.jpg
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:06 am.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby CrazedZooChimp » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:30 am

Well, at least they mention new restraints and track enhancements.

But, yeah, even as someone who liked the New Revolution VR, I have no idea how this isn't going to be horribly painful and nauseating. Unfortunately every park was going to get VR, and this is really the only ride at SFDK that would get it (killing the capacity on Medusa or Superman would be bad). I kind of hope it fails so they finally remove it.

It is a good point that it might make it actually feel like you're having the crap beaten out of you by monsters though...
Read stuff I write (mostly about NorCal happenings) over at Coaster101!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!