TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Jeez, seeing all these stories about the problems with Joker is making me nervous. I'm driving up from LA to visit on Sunday primarily to ride Joker, and now I'm getting worried it could be difficult to even get on.

So I should expect a delayed opening, one train, and possible extended closures? When it is running with one train, what's been the average wait time? Is it longer than Superman?

it's well worth the attempt to try and get on at least once, I've never had a bad time on the ride itself. You're right to be nervous about the jokers computer issues but there's no way SFDK isn't trying to fix the problem. But given the summer season is kinda almost over maybe they aren't going to be in a super rush to fix it.

The good news is both trains were up and running again before i left thursday and i did get on row 9 with about a 18-25 min wait. so hopefully it'll be dual train operations until wheels have to be replaced.

I'm at the park now. Somewhat crowded. Superman is closed, which doesn't seem to happen very often. I'm in line for Joker and it's running two trains. Looks like about 30-40 minutes.

So how was your day at the park? when I went last time. superman, joker and V2 were all closed after being opened for like 15-25 mins. They all reopened later though thankfully.

I think riders or ride op's really had to screw up. 3 coasters going down, at the same time? (I know it's possible but come on.)

When I was there on Sunday, same thing happened. All three rides were down. Joker seemed to go down a lot, and Superman was going down a lot as well. V2 tested in the morning, but then didn't open until late afternoon.

We got lucky to ride Joker at all. Saw it test before the park opened on Sunday, went to it. Wasn't open. Waited about an our (second group in line, and that's when we saw Superman broke about twice), finally opened it. We got on the first ride, made it to the final brake run, and it broke again. They didn't even load the 2nd train that was waiting in the station. Sat on the final brake run for maybe 10 minutes. However, they were super nice, and let us ride again for the inconvenience (we were on the unshaded brake run), so that was cool. But I felt a little bad for the people who had to wait extra long just board the next train... took them a while.

I haven't heard of a recent RCM have this much trouble. I believe most have had occasional problems, but this one seems different somehow. Is this unusual? Even TC, while not always racing, seems to at least mostly be working.

Kong is getting remov, I mean getting a Samsung VR addition in late september.

Now, how would you possibly ride it defensively now.

It's all part of a secret plan to boost chiropractor businesses! Wake up sheeple!

Yeah this an absolutely terrible idea. You really have to see where you're going on this coaster to brace yourself. Plus they already have a hard enough time with dispatch times on Kong, this is just a bad idea all around. With Revolution I'm willing to at least try the VR and see what it's like, but I don't think I'll do that on Kong. Too much pain.

This might actually be the worst idea ever.

Worse than making ANOTHER The Land Before Time sequel when the last one was released 9 years ago?

That's the best you could do? If you wanted to make a terrible sequel joke you could at least go with this flaming turd (which I consider to be, without hesitation, the single worst movie ever made)...

I'm pretty sure nobody that's seen it would really disagree.

Anyway wow, we really steered that off topic.

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom has sent us a press release regarding their new VR experience, Rage of the Gargoyles, being offered to riders on Kong.

The ultimate interactive Virtual Reality (VR) coaster experience, featuring Samsung Gear VR powered by Oculus, is coming to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom this fall as demonic creatures battle terrified riders in the all-new Rage of the Gargoyles debuting on Kong, the park’s floorless looping roller coaster, just in time for Fright Fest® starting September 24.

“Six Flags is the leader in innovation and thrills and we are excited to introduce the VR coaster experiences to our guests at Discovery Kingdom,” said Don McCoy, park president. “In Rage of the Gargoyles, the experience is immersive and terrifying as riders shoot at the demons throughout the entire ride ‒ the perfect addition to our Fright Fest line-up.”

Among the thrilling highlights:

• High-definition imagery and storytelling that sync with the track configuration creating a one-of-a-kind “real world” to “virtual world” thrill-ride;
  • For the first time ever on a rollercoaster, riders can engage in interactive gaming throughout the entire ride experience by shooting at flying demons; and
  • Unique sophisticated head-movement targeting to instantly lock on a moving target without the need for a touchpad or buttons to fire.

The realistic theme puts the rider in the action similar to a video game experience. Riders are pilots seated in the cockpit of an Apache-style helicopter, flying through a devastated cityscape of a dark and dreary future as part of a fleet of choppers ready to battle winged creatures to the end. Both the pilot and their realistic foes are virtually engaged in a battle all while racing over the 2,170 feet of twisting, turning, looping coaster track.

The action starts quickly when riders ascend up the lift hill while realistic, blood-thirsty gargoyles terrorize them by scratching and clawing, jumping mercilessly atop the seemingly fragile glass barrier as the rider tries desperately to shoot their demonic targets. The epic conflict accelerates as riders are forced to navigate through the hazardous city streets, up and over broken-down skyscrapers while avoiding obstacles and lethal assaults from the gargoyles, all the while shooting to repel the demons. It is up to the pilot to attack the vicious master gargoyle, who is vehement on challenging anyone who crosses his path. There is a surprise ending that will be sure to leave riders shocked and amazed.

Kong will close after August and make its Virtual Reality debut with modified restraints and enhanced track work. Guests 13 and older may opt to ride with the VR headset or without, to enjoy Kong as a traditional coaster attraction. Fright Fest is Northern California’s biggest and scariest Halloween event as the park is completely transformed for thrills by day and fright by night, and features haunted mazes, scare zones and monstertainment.

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, the thrill capital of Northern California, is located in Vallejo, CA and open year round on weekends, holidays and select dates, including daily during the summer. Fright Fest runs on weekends and select Fridays from September 24 through October 30. For park information visit: http://www.sixflags.com/discoverykingdom.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.a5e96a48b8fd89a7f5dcec2920cf42b2.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

Well, at least they mention new restraints and track enhancements.

But, yeah, even as someone who liked the New Revolution VR, I have no idea how this isn't going to be horribly painful and nauseating. Unfortunately every park was going to get VR, and this is really the only ride at SFDK that would get it (killing the capacity on Medusa or Superman would be bad). I kind of hope it fails so they finally remove it.

It is a good point that it might make it actually feel like you're having the crap beaten out of you by monsters though...

If we're lucky it will only last for Fright Fest. (Doubtful)

If we're really lucky, the modified restraints mean that they're giving Kong vest restraints.

I'm hoping for like full neck braces.

Ha. Save us the trip to the hospital.

If we're lucky it will only last for Fright Fest. (Doubtful)

If we're really lucky, the modified restraints mean that they're giving Kong vest restraints.

I'm hoping for like full neck braces.

Edited by cwf_777

If they're putting the new vest style Vekoma restraints on Kong, then I take back everything bad I said about it. I'm still not a fan of VR, but that will make it doable, while making the ride less painful at the same time. Lets hope that's really the case. No way in hell should they put VR on the ride with the existing restraints.

If they're putting the new vest style Vekoma restraints on Kong, then I take back everything bad I said about it. I'm still not a fan of VR, but that will make it doable, while making the ride less painful at the same time. Lets hope that's really the case. No way in hell should they put VR on the ride with the existing restraints.

Yeah, I feel like the real announcement for SFDK is that Kong MIGHT be getting tolerable restraints. But, the press release makes it sound like they only have a month to do it. Is that actually enough time to upgrade them (or I guess just put new trains on)?

Coincidentally, we have plans to visit the park on September 24, so we'll see how it turns out. If anything, I'm hoping for more comfortable restraints. Granted, I don't remember much about the ride experience from my one visit in 2002ish.

This might actually be the worst idea ever.

Worse than making ANOTHER The Land Before Time sequel when the last one was released 9 years ago?

That's the best you could do? If you wanted to make a terrible sequel joke you could at least go with this flaming turd (which I consider to be, without hesitation, the single worst movie ever made)...

*image redacted*

I'm pretty sure nobody that's seen it would really disagree.

Anyway wow, we really steered that off topic.

How can it be the worst movie ever made if it has Jack Black in it? Okay, I see your point.

Yeah, I feel like the real announcement for SFDK is that Kong MIGHT be getting tolerable restraints. But, the press release makes it sound like they only have a month to do it. Is that actually enough time to upgrade them (or I guess just put new trains on)?

I was there Sunday and only one train was running, with the other one nowhere to be seen, so maybe they're already changing out the restraints on that one. I think the fact that they said some track work will be happening scares me a bit more.

Why would you put VR on an SLC? That's a horrible idea! The only way I could see it working is if after the drop the footage consists of gargoyles attacking and mauling you as the ride does it in the real world.

Unique sophisticated head-movement targeting to instantly lock on a moving target without the need for a touchpad or buttons to fire.

So you're basically gonna be shooting all over the place as the ride bangs your head about?

I'm really, really glad they mention new restraints! Hopefully it'll be the vests or at least a step up from the existing restraints. What do you think they mean by new track work?

I don't think I'll make it to the park for this, but I'm intrigued to see what other people think of it. If any of the new modifications help improve the ride and make it less rough, then I'm totally in favor! I actually like Kong on its good days. Yeah I'd rather have something else, but [pre-Joker] I would usually give it one ride a day.