Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1481: Mardi Gras 2020 event details released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby A.J. » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:22 am

Eh, the sound effects are a little cheesy and will probably get annoying after watching the ride for a while (like when you're waiting for your party), but the lighting is top-notch. I kind of worry about the strobe effect inside the tunnel though...
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby sirchubs33 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:57 pm

Hulk publicly soft opened tonight at (from what I can collect) around 6ish. Pictures of the queue interior look really solid!
Coaster Count: 451

Check out where theme parks take me!
Life Is A Roller Coaster

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:47 pm

viking86 wrote:Hulk testing video! Not sure about the roar, seems it could be annoying after some time, but great to see that the lights on the outside of the launch tunnel are syncronized with the launch. The rest of the light package looks great as well!

WOW!! I love the lighting package for this coaster. Everything from the lights on the launch tunnel, to the lights in the tunnel after the loop. Looks like a good fit for Universal!!

Not sure about the growling Hulk sound. . . It sounds more like a constipated Hulk, or a Hulkgasam.
Bigger is not always better.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby FifthArchitect » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:48 am

Hulk did indeed soft open tonight!

When I arrived at the park this morning, I was excited to see Hulk testing with people on board. As I arrived at the entrance however, the barricades were up and they stated that they were just starting to test with ride techs and employees, and that "Hulk would be opening sometime late summer." Imagine my surprise walking past around 7 pm to see the barricades down and "technical rehearsal" signs up! Apparently things were going well and it was a last minute decision to go ahead and open. I took a couple pictures as I rushed to get my cell phone and keys in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo, and was very lucky to get 3 rides in before park close.

My thoughts... What a great ride! I haven't ridden it before, so I can't comment on the refurb, but I though the queue theming was fantastic. They did a great job on the effects for the gamma reactor. There were a few hiccups in the queue, but overall I thought operations was doing a great job keeping things moving. There are metal detectors, but they were well staffed and didn't seem to be slowing anything down. The launch was a surprise. Given the friction wheel system, I did not expect it to be as forceful as it was. To me the initial grab seemed very similar to the magnetic launches on the Flight of Fear coasters at KI and KD, though not quite as fast at the top end. The roll off the launch is great, quick transitions, and everything was very smooth in my rides in rows 4, 7, and 8. I can't remember many other specifics as I was having too much fun enjoying myself! My only small critique is that it seems a bit slow to me through the final two elements after the MCBR, however I think it's a great ride and a nice addition (re-addition?) to a nice park.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby MARK » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:02 am

I think the roar itself is really weak (kinda the sound I would make if I were playing monsters with a kid) and the sound is too clear and close.

It'd be more effective if they could make it sound like Hulk was deeply roaring from within the launch chamber with a bit of reverberation.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby CPmillenia94 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:29 am

I had a very unpleasant experience with shuffling on my only ride, hopefully it was just the seat I was in (Left side row 7). It was shaking from start to end, rougher than any ride I remember having on it before..

I'm interested to hear what other people who rode it before the transformation think/what their experience is!

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:28 pm

Earlier today TPR attended the Universal Studios Orlando Summer Media Event and saw all of the awesome new summer offerings! We started off with an early morning walk through of the queue at Reign of Kong where we got to see the amazing queue effects and scaractors up close. Then we moved over to Incredible Hulk which is currently in technical previews and got to ride this newly re-imagined and plussed up iconic B&M coaster. We then finished off our morning touring the brand new Loews Sapphire Falls Resort which is a beautiful addition to their already great resort lineup. The story is in the pictures... so lets take a look!
Kong1.jpeg
We start off the morning with a pre-opening Reign of Kong queue walk through.
Kong2.jpeg
The detail in the queue is awesome! Really like a movie set.
10_Skull Island Reign of Kong Natives.jpg
The natives in the queue are getting restless!
17_Skull Island Reign of Kong Queue.jpg
This queue is an attraction in itself - it even has animatronics!
19_Skull Island Reign of Kong Queue.jpg
I really can't stress enough how detailed this queue is - really one of the best in Orlando.
03_Skull Island Reign of Kong Vehicle Spec Sheet.jpg
Cameras are not allowed on the ride - but this spec sheet shows you what the vehicles are like.
03_Skull Island Reign Of Kong.jpg
If the weather is good, you start off outside the ride in your vehicle. If it is bad, your vehicle will bypass this portion. Cool!
07_Skull Island Reign Of Kong.jpg
The climax of the ride is a face to face look at the big guy! It is VERY impressive in person!
kong5.jpeg
Time to head over to ride The Incredible Hulk! Love this view!
kong6.jpeg
Hulk is BACK and is better than ever! Onboard sound, new trains and track and an awesome new queue.
kong7.jpeg
LOVE the new entrance statement for the queue! Really sets up the ride well.
kong8.jpeg
TWISTY! So many great elements to this coaster!
Kong9.jpeg
They really ramped up the storyline to tie it into the Marvel Universe even more. Even the metal detectors have theming!
Kong10.jpeg
The queue uses the storyline of General Thaddeus Ross and his base.
Kong12.jpeg
So many cool lighting effects and the largest plasma generator in the world!
Kong13.jpeg
So many cool themed signs and references!
Kong14.jpeg
Hmmm.. I wonder what nefarious purpose this is being used for!

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:48 pm

More photos of the Incredible Hulk and Sapphire Falls Resort!
Kong16.jpeg
This bigger overview of the queue shows that it kept the same basic layout but really amped up the theming and effects. No more purple and green.
Kong15.jpeg
Hmmm... I wonder who Dr. S. Lee is....
Kong17.jpeg
Time to ride! Love the look of the station and the super fast operation. Great crew there!
Kong11.jpeg
LOVED the ride overall! The new trains and the on-board music by Patrick Stump of Fall out Boy really rocket this ride to new levels!
03_Loews Sapphire Falls Resort_Waterfall.jpg
Time to launch over to Loews Sapphire Falls resort which just opened!
kong18.jpeg
The lobby has really cute "beachy" and Caribbean theming.
kong19.jpeg
AWESOME views of IOA from the lobby as well!
kong21.jpeg
The views around this resort are outstanding!
kong22.jpeg
The best part is it offers complimentary boat transportation to the parks!
kong23.jpeg
A map? Yes please! It is a big resort with a lot of amenities.. you will need this!
kong24.jpeg
The centerpiece of the resort is this beautiful stone enclosed staircase!
kong25.jpeg
It is hard to capture how pretty this is in pictures!
09_Loews Sapphire Falls Resort_Guest Room.jpg
The rooms are VERY spacious and well appointed with all the modern amenities!
04_Loews Sapphire Falls Resort_Waterfall_2.jpg
Time to take the resort bridge to get some food!
kong26.jpeg
We got to sample some of the resort specialties including their ceviche bar!
kong27.jpeg
And delicious jerk chicken with mango salsa! YUM!
kong29.jpeg
The theming and details in the Strong Water Bar are great and they have an amazing selection of rum!
kong28.jpeg
Stacey found her new favorite drink - the Strong Water Grog which tastes like rum and cinnamon heaven!
01_Universal's Volcano Bay_Scope Rendering.jpg
So many awesome new things at Universal Studios Orlando this summer and Volcano Bay will be coming along in less than a year... I can't wait!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:50 am

Sapphire Falls looks awesome it would be my absolute first choice if it included the express pass like the other "Deluxe" resorts.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:59 am

From what I've seen, it looks like Kong's queue might be more entertaining than the ride. It's good to see the Hulk back in action again.

Stacey found her new favorite drink - the Strong Water Grog which tastes like rum and cinnamon heaven!

Sold!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!