TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rye Playland Discussion Thread

^^ I read your post as well, but although the evidence adds up, you didn't "prove" anything. This plan still has to be approved. The Chance under construction could be going anywhere.

Using the word proof might just be a language error from KingRCT since I think English is not his native language.

Yes, thank you, that's exactly it. I used proof for a lack of a better word. My point was that we have this clue, plus this clue, plus this clue, all leading toward an hypothesis (rather than a proof ) that I think is quite probable. Then again, plans might change.

Sorry for the fuss!

Nope....no fuss here - thanks to all for the clarity on the proposed coaster and for your hypothesis, King RCT3!

I certainly hope to see all of the improvements and the new coaster come to fruition, as that would be a real reason for me to get back to this park.

I was so embarassed for that ride I wanted to get up halfway through and walk out.

That's about what I expected. They redid the entire thing like 10-15 years ago. Before that it was a level of awful not seen since... well since Zombie Castle. I assumed they let this version go to hell too. So cool, now the Derby Racer and Log Flume (which isn't even that great a flume) are truly the only rides worth doing.

I was so embarassed for that ride I wanted to get up halfway through and walk out.

That's about what I expected. They redid the entire thing like 10-15 years ago. Before that it was a level of awful not seen since... well since Zombie Castle. I assumed they let this version go to hell too. So cool, now the Derby Racer and Log Flume (which isn't even that great a flume) are truly the only rides worth doing.

Don't forget double shot...And yea I last rode Old Mill about 10 years ago...Back then it wasn't "as" bad

^ Basically this... the Old Mill used to be good but I imagine they've let it go to hell.

It's in poor condition now, with a lot of missing scenes and empty space, but I think it's definitely salvageable. If the new management wants to invest a little in a classic ride, it could be pretty good, especially with how rare that kind of ride is now.

I'm getting quite anxious waiting to hear if Standard Amusements goes through with this. Playland's in terrible shape now, but there's something about the place that I still really like. Maybe it's just that the little seaside park reminds me of my childhood time at Rocky Point (RIP =<). With a little love it could be such a great, unique place.

I wonder what they can do about the patrons, though. When I visited, it was definitely the people that were the biggest problems there. Line jumping, vandalism, just general rudeness...No amount of money can magically fix that.

• 1 month later...

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/westchester/2016/05/02/playland-amended-contract/83596396/

A decision has finally been made about the leadership of Rye Playland. Standard Amusement's agreement has been extended another 30 years.

Westchester County will chip in $32 million for improvements (cosmetic to the buildings and ride restoration). Standard Amusement will invest $27.5 million in the park over the next 30 years.

Th article is included below

Standard Amusements will run Playland, county to invest $32M

Mark Lungariello, mlungariel@lohud.com 12:53 a.m. EDT May 3, 2016

WHITE PLAINS – The Dragon Coaster got a new pet-sitter late Monday night.

Westchester County lawmakers voted 13-4 to give the keys to Playland to a management company called Standard Amusements, a hedgefund-backed group headed by Harrison native Nicholas Singer. The move ends a six-year process to find a private-sector manager to take over day-to-day operations of the financially-strapped county-owned park.

The county, which will maintain ownership, is also expected to chip in $32 million to restore the park's deteriorating Art Deco infrastructure through projects including a repaving of the parking lot and restoration of some historical rides.

"I believe with this vote, Playland amusement park’s future is ensured for generations to come," Board of Legislators Chairman Michael Kaplowitz, a Democrat who heads a bipartisan coalition, said.

Standard agrees to invest an additional $27.5 million of its own money in the deal, which runs for 30 years.

Under the terms of the agreement, Standard pays Westchester escalating annual payments starting at $300,000. After the company recoups its initial investment, Westchester gets 8 percent of net income generated at the park. Westchester’s cut increases to 10 percent after the first 10 years of the deal and increases to 12 percent in years 21-30.

Legislator Catherine Borgia was one of four Democrats who voted against the contract, but were expected to vote in favor of the county's investment as landlords.

"At this time, I do not believe the county has represented its taxpayers as well as Standard has represented its investors," she said.

The county first reached a deal with Standard last June, but negotiations continued to amend some contract terms and to include an obligation that Westchester invest in infrastructure repairs there.

The original price tag for those repairs was $58 million, which led some lawmakers to express sticker shock and threatened to sink the deal. More negotiating took place to reduce the county’s obligation by more than $20 million by scaling back some of the projects and deferring some work including restoration of the colonnades there.

The effort to privatize the park goes back to 2010, when County Executive Rob Astorino, a Republican, came into office and sought bids for the park which suffered from a pattern of financial losses and declining attendance. Standard bid on the work, but finished as runner-up behind a nonprofit group called Sustainable Playland, which formed specifically to run the park but backed out in 2014.

Steve Vasko, a member of the group Save Playland, had opposed the Sustainable plan but said he favored Standard as the manager. Vasko, in a recent interview, said one of the appealing aspects was the company’s ability to make an upfront investment in the park.

“I say we move it ahead and we should be moving wholeheartedly,” he said.

Under the terms of the contract, Standard has the sole discretion on whom it hires. The deal also gives the company the option of contracting full-time county employees to work at Playland on annual basis. If Standard utilizes the employees, it agrees to reimburse Westchester 100 percent of salary costs and 30 percent of the benefits owed to them. If the company keeps the employees on for two years, it agrees to pay 100 percent of the benefits.

The president of the Civil Service Employees Association Unit 9200, which has 25 members working at Playland, said he met with lawmakers to ask that they add another layer of protection for workers so that they could remain union members and have their time on the job counted toward their public-sector pensions. President Kwabena Manu said prior to the vote he was disappointed with the agreement.

“It’s just baloney,” Manu said.

Although the long-term fate of Playland seems to be sealed, one aspect of the plan remains floating in uncertainty: whether the Playland pool will be replaced with a water-view dining vista.

The company had originally suggested filling the Playland pool, but that plan saw pushback from some residents and Legislator Jim Maisano, a Republican who said removing the pool would be a dealbreaker.

The company has since said it would leave it up to the county whether or not to remove the pool, but repairing rather than replacing it could inflate the cost to Westchester from $4 million to more than $10 million. Lawmakers will decide what to do with the pool within three months after the vote tonight.

Playland opens for the season on Saturday.

I'm thinking about taking a day on a road trip this summer to go to Quassy and Rye Playland. My interest is in the wooden roller coasters, and I have a fairly high tolerance for roughness. I would like to hear everyone's opinion of Dragon Coaster at Rye Playland. Thanks.

The Dragon is terrible. Bulky Morgan trains, no air, no laterals, and a hell of a lot of jackhammering. If you really want to get on it go for it, but don't go out of your way to come ride it.

I'm thinking about taking a day on a road trip this summer to go to Quassy and Rye Playland. My interest is in the wooden roller coasters, and I have a fairly high tolerance for roughness. I would like to hear everyone's opinion of Dragon Coaster at Rye Playland. Thanks.

I would go to Rye Playland if it was combined with Adventureland in Farmingdale. And if you're going to Quassy, I would highly recommend going to Lake Compounce. It's one of my favorite parks, and in my opinion it beats the other three parks I just mentioned combined.

The only thing I really know about Rye, and the reason I would like to go there is for Derby Racer. I've heard that, unlike Cedar Point, they still run theirs at full speed ? When Cedar Downs was still at Euclid Beach, it was always a fave of mine.

Yeah, Derby Racer runs at a ridiculous speed. That and the Log Flume are easily the 2 best rides in the park.

The only thing I really know about Rye, and the reason I would like to go there is for Derby Racer. I've heard that, unlike Cedar Point, they still run theirs at full speed ? When Cedar Downs was still at Euclid Beach, it was always a fave of mine.

Yeah, Derby Racer runs at a ridiculous speed. That and the Log Flume are easily the 2 best rides in the park.

Don't forget double shot.

• 1 month later...

Midweek night time discounts have returned for Rye Playland. Half price, $15 from 5PM - 10PM on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursday through September 1st.

http://www.newrochelletalk.com/content/fireworks-special-prices-and-free-daily-entertainment-all-summer-long-playland-0

Fireworks, Special Prices and Free Daily Entertainment all Summer Long at Playland

June 26, 2016 - 10:14

WHITE PLAINS, NY --County Executive Robert P. Astorino invites everyone to enjoy a summer full of free entertainment, fireworks and discount pricing at everyone’s favorite amusement park, Playland Park in Rye.

“A visit to Playland is always fun and these upcoming pricing specials, along with great entertainment for children and families, provide even more incentives to come out to the park,” Astorino said.

Playland’s summer daily entertainment schedule is now in full swing, with the Kiddyland DJ, Katy the Great and Friends, Coaster’s International Dance Party, and Funky Fairytales: Princess and the Pea, all taking place in the Kiddyland. Grab a seat in front of the Music Tower Theater stage to watch a lively song-and-dance performance “American Beat!” Show times are posted in the park.

Special $15 Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights for those entering the park after 5 p.m. and includes unlimited rides until closing at 10 p.m. This special runs from June 28 through Sept. 1.

Friday Night Fireworks are back, comprising a spectacular show choreographed to music. The shows begin at 9:15 p.m. and run every Friday from July 1 through September 2. Special holiday displays take place at the Playland pier on Sunday and Monday, July 3 and 4, at 9:30 p.m.

Celebrate International Friendship Day on Sunday, Aug. 7, when all ride admissions (including Juniors) are $15 from 12 noon until the park closes at 10 p.m. Parking is $15.

Playland Park is Westchester’s premier amusement park. Guests can enjoy rides, catch a show, have a snack or a meal, play mini golf and take a stroll on the boardwalk.

Regular admission prices:

· $30 unlimited rides; $20 Junior (under 48”) - Westchester residents with acceptable proof of residency are eligible for a $5 discount on these prices. Spectator admission (no rides) is free for Westchester County residents and $10 for non-residents.

Season Passes:

· $95 for unlimited rides all season, with a $15 discount for Westchester residents. Purchase four or more and save 10%.

· $35 for spectator admission all season (no rides), for non-residents of Westchester County.

Acceptable proof of Westchester residency is a Westchester County Park Pass; New York State driver's license or non-driver I.D.; or a photo I.D. or report card from a Westchester County school.

Parking is $10 and $15 on holidays, special events and concert days.

For the season’s schedule go to RyePlayland.org or call the park at (914) 813-7010. Become a Facebook fan at Rye Playland and follow @Rye_Playland on Twitter and at RyePlaylandOfficialPage on Instagram.

Playland is located at the end of Playland Parkway in Rye. For public bus transportation, go to westchestergov.com/beelinebus.

$15 from 5PM - 10PM on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursday through September 1st.

Wow. That's so tempting it might actually get us to visit this sh*t hole.

The place gets a bad rap for the coasters, but the cheesy dark rides alone make it worth the price. The best (most violent Whip) in the country. The Derby Racer. They also have decent bumper cars, probably the hardest hitting non-Lusse ones I've been on. All rides I've mentioned are more fun than the coasters.

^How is the crowd there these days? Although I felt at right at home (which must say some odd things about me,)- I think some of the members of the 2008 trip were kind of frightened.

Rye Stab-Land was the moniker and I think we voted to NOT leave Tony there when he was late for the bus because he would have been murdered

David - I've only been to Rye Playland three times in my life (all in the past 10 years) and never experienced a crowd like TPR members described in 2008. Maybe it just doesn't faze me spending so much time in Manhattan/Brooklyn at night. I've seen rougher crowds on summer weekend visits to SFA and SFGAdv

^ Oh, the crowd at SFA was much, much scarier than the crowd at RYE that year.

I, personally, found the Rye crowd to be Colorful and interesting (except for the ride-op on their Derby Racer which, I think, really wanted to murder us.)

The place gets a bad rap for the coasters, but the cheesy dark rides alone make it worth the price. The best (most violent Whip) in the country. The Derby Racer. They also have decent bumper cars, probably the hardest hitting non-Lusse ones I've been on. All rides I've mentioned are more fun than the coasters.

(Not that anyone doesn't trust Larry but) all of this is correct.

^And David, all I got the last time I went was "Stop taking pictures of the horses!" which I deemed fair enough. I thought the ride itself might kill me, though.

• 10 months later...

Wow, I totally forgot this park had a discussion thread... why?

I haven't been to Playland in years despite living less than an hour away but yesterday we were going to my Aunt's house for Mother's Day and saw a promotion on Facebook for $15 bands and a "Mom's ride free" promotion. Since she only lives about 15 minutes away in North White Plains, we decided to pop in for a few hours and convinced my mom and stepdad to join us for some Mother's Day fun (ps: sorry if I'm sounding like I'm just attempting to justify actually visiting this place but that's basically what we were doing when considering the trip, lol). I'll keep this report super brief and I took a limited amount of photos but since nobody has checked in from Playland for awhile I figured I'd put something together.

IMG_4738.thumb.JPG.63ac55746292c01fe26b9ebd9914f584.JPG

Happy Mother's Day from Playland, New York's most "oh... that place still exists?" amusement park!

I generally feel like Playland has been on a downward trend since I was a kid but we actually had a blast yesterday and I have to say I'm a bit impressed. The forecast called for pop up storms and as we pulled into the parking lot we were greeted by a torrential downpour and were starting to question that decision. One cool thing about Playland is that the Midways are mostly covered by these weird ass Art Deco roof things for reasons that absolutely nobody understands, so during the rain we could walk between rides without getting wet.

We started out with the classic Derby Racer which is basically Cedar Downs on crack. I believe that those are the only 2 rides of it's kind but the one in Rye is much, much better. If you sit on the outside it's legitimate work to avoid being thrown from the horse. This thing was awesome and we all loved it, I forgot how good it was.

IMG_4731.thumb.JPG.830a9fb25137d6129c4ad55b071dbf76.JPG

The Derby Racer is awesome (a little blurry, sorry about that)

After Derby Racer we saw that not only had the rain stopped, but the sun was out and there wasn't a cloud in the sky (seriously... it was the strangest weather ever) so we headed for the Dragon Coaster. Dragon for some reason has some of the most restrictive restraints I've ever seen (which is weird for a Morgan Train) so getting into the train is tough for taller people but the ride itself was running really well. This ride will never blow anyone away but it's solid, smooth fun.

image1.thumb.JPG.d54d3d665a659abd0e7bf354f0b75a95.JPG

This park has a great location

At that point we sort of kept heading down the midway and hitting whatever we felt like hitting along the way. The Whip was running great and may actually be my favorite Whip ride, it runs really fast and has a pretty long cycle. Zombie Castle still blows on an unimaginable level but since a few people in our group haven't experienced this horrendous attraction we decided to ride it. Not only do the effects suck but for some reason they're all behind bars, this makes absolutely zero sense since the effects on the Old Mill are just as close to the ride vehicles and they're all out in the open but whatever.

After surviving the world's most disappointing zombie apocalypse we headed to the mouse which has apparently removed their maximum height restriction and will now freely allow anyone to attempt to squeeze themselves into a mouse car. This is great news for me since with a little maneuvering I could finally ride it again and it was definitely a fun little ride. To this day I'm impressed that they managed to squeeze this thing in over there.

After leaving the mouse we saw some more death clouds moving in but we decided to roll the dice and hit the Ferris Wheel before the rain. We had a nice, rain-free ride and as soon as we got under the canopy-midway thing the skies opened up again. At that point we needed to head out anyway, but we snagged one last ride on the Derby Racer and a ride on the Old Mill as we made our way out. The Old Mill is definitely one of the better rides in the park, all of the effects were working and it's a huge step up in quality from their other 2 dark rides. It was definitely a great way to end our visit.

image3.thumb.JPG.062b7e5d91a10be330d093396756f29c.JPG

Taking in the views from the Ferris Wheel as a death cloud rolls in to kill us all

While we were only there for about 2 hours, we managed to get on most of the major rides (with the only exceptions being the S&S tower, Bumper Cars and Flume which wasn't quite ready for the season yet). I wouldn't recommend going out of your way for this park, but if you're in the area it's worth popping in. Keep an eye on their social media pages as they've been offering a lot of great discounts lately.

image4.thumb.JPG.6ab262516bdfa22877123a478c36edf3.JPG

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA F*CK NO