TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

Has anyone here access to growthspotter.com? There is a new article (28th of March) about this project, but I do not want to spend $40 only to read one article...

Link:

Structural design & layout continue evolving for Skyplex plan

See above for nine new images of Skyplex elevations and site plans provided in the project's Development Plan filling with Orange County, which should face Development Review Committee review in April.

Are there any new informations?

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone here access to growthspotter.com? There is a new article (28th of March) about this project, but I do not want to spend $40 only to read one article...

Link:

Structural design & layout continue evolving for Skyplex plan

See above for nine new images of Skyplex elevations and site plans provided in the project's Development Plan filling with Orange County, which should face Development Review Committee review in April.

Are there any new informations?

Using Google Chrome "View Page Source" feature, heres what I found on that page code;

Intamin Amusement Rides, the rollercoaster manufacturer, continues to work with structural engineer Celtic Engineering on plans for the entire structure's design. When finished this spring, a wind tunnel test of the tower's world-record height would follow, said John McNary, project executive for Euforria, a subsidiary of Winter Park Construction that's serving as pre-construction manager on the project. After that (wind tunnel test), we'll be looking to get a set of documents, hopefully in June, that we'd be able to issue to steel and concrete providers for pricing on the tower, garage and hotel, McNary said. This project is unique because you do have three types of structures: the concrete tower, steel tower and the rollercoaster all attached. So we have to analyze the structural design of each entity. After rezoning was approved in December for Wallack's Skyplex property, applying for a DP with the county was on hold through January to allow for a window of appeal time, McNary said. No appeals were made, despite Universal Orlando leading a lobbying campaign against the project through much of 2015. Mango's Tropical Cafe Orlando set to open this Friday, With Mango's Tropical Cafe Orlando set to open this Friday, Joshua Wallack now seeks plan approval for the Hollywood Plaza Parking Garage to neighbor it, with one retail-attraction tenant signed for the ground floor and a fine-dining partner sought for the rooftop restaurant. At the current pace of Orange County's review and scheduling for the DP, McNary estimates the building foundation permits could be acquired in the Fall, with ground broken on foundations in November or December. McNary previously projected that concrete bid packages could be put out for multiple stages, with one for the basement, pile caps and shallow foundations. Concrete for the property's structures like the parking garage, polercoaster tower and hotel could all be bid out in one or more packages. Joshua Wallack came from Miami Beach in June 2011 browsing for a two-story building on International Drive, drawn by an inkling that Orlando's tourism corridor could support a second location of his family's famed Mango's Tropical Cafe restaurant and nightclub from South Beach. The DP for Skyplex specifies plans to build a 35,860-square-foot restaurant, 340,470 square feet of entertainment retail space, 66,751 square feet of general retail and a 350-room hotel on a total of 11.46 acres. Those are in addition to the main attractions: a 501-foot vertical rollercoaster, a 450-foot drop tower, and a 600-foot zip line. We're still fluid with the programming inside, said Skyplex developer Joshua Wallack. "Incredible things are coming, and we'll talk more about that in the weeks and months to come. The project's design ;has continued to evolve since its rezoning approval in December. For example, the square footage measurements for the entertainment and retail areas have grown, while the main restaurant space for Perkins is down about 4,000 square feet, said Michael Chatman, lead architect on the project for Helman Hurvey Charvat Peacock/Architects. We're evolving every aspect of the project, every day. It's important to continue so we know it will be able to be approved by the county, Chatham said. "We continue to work with (Orange County staff) on the I-Drive Vision Plan to create the most walkable and pedestrian-friendly frontage we can on Sand Lake Road and International Drive. We're coordinating the undergrounding of utilities there. HHCP, Celtic Engineering and polercoaster designer U.S. Thrill Rides;recently sent staff to Switzerland in February to meet with Intamin, to coordinate planning for attachment of the coaster to the tower. The coordination of curves and clearances of track, and how they move through the building, is an extremely complicated process," Chatham said

And the pictures;

• 2 months later...

So ThrillCorp is raising capital by offering class B shares ahead of an IPO for the company? That's pretty interesting, and a little confusing, are they going to be operating these proposed attractions and earning revenue off of operating of the ride/leasing space in the property or just selling the rides to other operators? Kind of interesting that their SEC Offering circular states that the roller coasters will be sourced from existing suppliers and they list "Intamin Amusements, Dynamic Structures, Vekoma, B&M, Zamperla and Chance Rides", S&S is not on the list.

Kind of interesting the language they use in the promotional material "join a team whose last two companies created more than $2 billion in sales; we’re aiming for something even bigger.", I'm guessing the $2 billion in sales figure includes revenues the parks receive from operation of their Skycoasters and iFly attractions over the years and not just the revenue associated with the sales of those attractions?

Still a little concerned it is has been 2, 3 years and they are still looking for investors.

Yeah, this concept has been floating around for a while but doesn't seem like any physical progress has been made. Their SEC filing states that construction will take an estimated 24 months from the time a site is secured and zoning approved, so I'm guess we're still 2-3 years away from one of these things being opened somewhere.

Still a little concerned it is has been 2, 3 years and they are still looking for investors.

To quote Robb from his comment on the TPR YouTube channel: Orlando Skyplex / SkyScraper is already fully funded. The investment in ThrillCorp is for other Polercoaster/SkySpire installations that they will own and operate. ThrillCorp are using the Orlando POV animation as an example.

Edited by Snovi

Queue up the Jeopardy music for this project. I'll feel better when the shovels hit the dirt on that property.

I'm getting really sick of all these annoying and stupid comments from "armchair developers." What the hell do YOU actually know about the project?!?!? Nothing.

I'll tell you want *I* know about the project from talking to the guy who is building it on a very regular basis:

- The project IS FUNDED.

- The project has approval from the county (and remember this only happened like 6 months ago)

- They needed to finish building and open Mango's BEFORE they could start on this project (again, this only happened a few months ago)

- They still need to build a parking garage which is currently about to start construction

- There are several businesses on the corner of Sand Lake & I-Drive which they own the parcels of land they sit on, but those businesses still need to close and be demolished before they can even even start construction.

What annoys me is how stupid people are being about this entire thing. This isn't like one roller coaster going into some vacant area of a park that can go up in a matter of a few months.

This is an entire entertainment complex that has a LOT of moving parts and things that need to happen before "shovels can hit the dirt." If you think this project has the ability to just pop up in 6 months, you're really really incorrect with your assumptions.

This is a project more along the lines of the Orlando Eye, which if you remember, was approved in September 2012 but didn't open until May 2015. It's a HUGE undertaking, but it will happen.

Have patience, stop with the dumb posts, and trust us when we say we have some very close first-hand information.

I was referring to the Myrtle Beach, Nashville, and the TBD SkySpire Project location mentioned in the ThrillCorp preliminary offering circular, forgot the video/discussion was in the Skyplex Orlando thread haha.

If I was wanting a primo location with little competition and high visibility spot on a Iconic American Waterway with two of the busiest travel interstates in America with a major entertainment district right there as well, I'd look at Memphis, specifically Mud Island.

While I'm not a fan of the monumental scale and I'm not sure that the PolerCoaster / SkySpire / etc is the absolute future of thrills and entertainment, it is certainly nice to see something different pop up in an area dominated by gated resorts.

I'm a bit skeptical and / or curious as to how one of these would work in an area that isn't as much of an entertainment mecha. That Atlantic City one is just the coaster, right? That's not a whole lot for potential guests to do...

I'm a bit skeptical and / or curious as to how one of these would work in an area that isn't as much of an entertainment mecha. That Atlantic City one is just the coaster, right? That's not a whole lot for potential guests to do...

I think that's the beauty of what ThrillCorp is on about. They're not trying to become an amusement destination that requires the time commitment of a full day (or even multiple days) to enjoy. They're trying to target retail developments in populated areas that can become a fun destination for locals to spend an afternoon or even just a few hours for some quick thrills while out and about around town. From their site:

As brick-and-mortar retail centers work to adapt to the negative impact online shopping has had on in-store foot traffic, innovative real estate operators are quickly realizing that coupling their retail offering with an unmatchable, exciting attraction can pay huge dividends. This shift toward mixed retail, dining and entertainment complexes has been dubbed, “retail-tainment” by industry experts.

ThrillCorp is positioned uniquely to deliver the focal point of such centers with its Polercoaster™ and SkySpire™ attractions. ThrillCorp’s distinctive and unparalleled solution creates new, exciting and repeatable draw for developers looking to ensure their retail complexes stand out in a crowded and competitive industry.