TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Europe 2016 - Robb & Elissa Traveling Around Riding Stuff

So sad to hear, it really sounds like the best time to visit is early in the season, or at least back in 2014 Easter time queue's where 30 min maximum. Here they should have used Q-bot. Hope this goes better for you guys in the continuation of this trip.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even factoring differences in cultural norms, the "shaggin wagons" turned me off. I'm not wildly offended by the concept -- I did get a chuckle, but in this particular context it looks symptomatic of the park disappointingly leaning away from the integrity and well-manicured qualities that Heide always seemed to exude. Has any park ever "gone for the teens" and had it made for a better qualitative experience for anyone at all? In my experience, tight-ship operations and a family focus often encourages civility, courteousness, & great overall days at parks, while sloppy operations and a teen crowd is a surefire recipe for frustration.

Even factoring differences in cultural norms, the "shaggin wagons" turned me off. I'm not wildly offended by the concept -- I did get a chuckle, but in this particular context it looks symptomatic of the park disappointingly leaning away from the integrity and well-manicured qualities that Heide always seemed to exude. Has any park ever "gone for the teens" and had it made for a better qualitative experience for anyone at all?

Every other family used to own one of those buses.

It's the German equivalent of an American park adding lake cabins.

Besides, what's the difference with Legoland's ?

kliebhan_heidehof_106.jpg.4a99f9620acdbe90e0e7d7a56b4d60d0.jpg

Or Europa-Park?

Camp-Resort_Planwagen-02.thumb.jpg.8cc6d0e1bbb3ae5d165eba37032e42ad.jpg

I don't see the difference...

Bulli-Camp__2_.thumb.JPG.a9e03cb08e55990429fbaff9a7d79f53.JPG

All of them are nothing more than a unique, quirky way of spending the night at the park's campsite.

You do realize Robb was joking when he said you can rent them by the hour?

Besides, what's the difference with Legoland's ?

[attachment=1]kliebhan_heidehof_106.jpg[/attachment]

Or Europa-Park?

[attachment=0]Camp-Resort_Planwagen-02.jpg[/attachment]

I don't see the difference...

[attachment=2]Bulli-Camp__2_.JPG[/attachment]

The difference is that those other parks seem to target families for their campgrounds. Heide Park really seemed as though they were targeting young adults to come and have sex. There has always been a stigma of "getting it on in the backseat of the car" and this just seemed to embrace that. We saw several signs for advertising the VW's around the park, all of them had pictures of kids hooking up. None of them were all "bring your family to our nice campground."

Not that I have a problem with this. Hell, in my younger years I'd be happy to rent one out, too. I'm just saying it's another example how Heide Park seems to be drifting away from being a family oriented park and becoming the "Thorpe Park of Germany."

I do agree that Heide Park is losing it's German style family Theme Park charm very quickly. Very unfortunate, because the park has the potential to be an equivalent to Europa-Park but deliberately choses not to be. Some of the coasters are great, but it's slowly becoming the only reason to go to Heide Park, unfortunately.

Thanks for the TR Robb!

You can follow our trip LIVE on Twitter:

I admit that I am a jaded "coaster fan" and it's rare that I get excited by new rides or find something that blows me away. Kärnan at Hansa Park did just that. It's so strange and messed up that I don't even know how to describe the ride.

The park calls it a "hyper coaster" but that just makes you think of dull personality-less cookie-cutter B&M hypers but this is so much more. The ride is so screwed up and totally original! I can honestly say I've never been on anything like it before.

It's sort of a cross between a hyper coaster, Euro-Fighter, Drop Tower, with airtime and insane crazy forces all over the place that I can't even begin to describe. It *feels* more like some crazy-mental ride that RMC or Intamin would come up with while drunk and angry at someone.

Not to mention the amazing theming and the "Russian Roulette" room where you don't actually know what row you're going to be assigned to until your row lights up and the door pops open. WTF???? So weird but so much fun!

This seriously is going to be the best coaster of the trip and quite possibly the best new ride I've ridden in a long time.

CljXV8CWgAA1aU9.jpg

Today we are at Hansa Park! Spending all day at one of our favorite German parks!

Cljga-8WYAEKGcY.jpg

Cljga-fXEAAelEt.jpg

So we just rode Karnan OMG what the hell just happened??? What an AMAZING ride!!!

CljkJXWWEAAS781.jpg

The airtime on Karnan is just bananas! You're out of your seat everywhere!

CljoeTgWAAAuyN9.jpg

I am not going to give away what happens in Karnan's tower but it will really mess with your head!

Clj0xISWYAEmIBt.jpg

Clj0xI6WAAAXyZq.jpg

Clj0xJ5XIAAdh3v.jpg

The spinning swinging bell ride with fire & water is a pretty messed up ride! In a good way!

Clj7nvjWAAAXtvX.jpg

Clj7nxjWkAAZpIv.jpg

Clj7nx6WkAAHUuG.jpg

Clj7n0jWAAAE7QM.jpg

We got some delicious freshly made crepes at Hansa Park! (Although Sarah was denied the eggnog crepe!) lol

ClkClsIXIAEOSsN.jpg

ClkClsVXEAAUKVJ.jpg

We took some... Umm... Very "interesting" onride photos today! lol

(We also rode with a TPR fan that spotted us at Novrogod!)

ClkOD-jXIAESyhE.jpg

ClkOD_OWYAEX8tp.jpg

ClkOD-sXIAAwNGA.jpg

ClkOEBvWIAAZEqT.jpg

Our BBQ lunch was seriously one of the most fun meals we've ever had at a park!

ClkRa62WYAAV1r3.jpg

Have I mentioned just how nuts Karnan is? Incredible!

ClkpziBXEAE6XlQ.jpg

ClkpzkXWgAEIN9R.jpg

ClkpzmWWgAAc9Gj.jpg

ClkpzncXIAAsI6P.jpg

Just had some ERT on Karnan! What a completely mental ride! Quite possibly the best coaster of the trip!

ClktwdYWMAAQvMi.jpg

ClktwedXEAAV0lb.jpg

Clktwe8WIAA56BM.jpg

ClktwjAWgAAxEz7.jpg

Dear Efteling fanboys - This is how you do awesome theming AND a kick-ass ride!

Clk0nNrWYAA1lat.jpg

Clk0nOAXIAACffP.jpg

Clk0nQwWYAALpNO.jpg

Clk0nReXEAAQuoe.jpg

Just a few shots of Hansa Park from the observation tower.

Clk56wFWgAQ6gEj.jpg

Clk56wFWgAMFycr.jpg

Clk56wEWIAECyY3.jpg

Nessie is a "SuperRollerCoaster" where you get eaten by an animal!

Clk-aRzUgAEW2VA.jpg

Clk-aRzUkAEXZml.jpg

Clk-aR0VAAAyZ08.jpg

Clk-aR0UgAAM2JC.jpg

I love Hansa Park's old west town! "Scrape shit from boots!" LOL! Noted

CllIVfFWQAADZtH.jpg

Kinda bummed the old "Double Bayern Curve" is gone but rides don't last forever!

CllIYNcWYAAKLAL.jpg

Just so we can remember when we visited Hansa Park.

CllIZ1OWAAAozpY.jpg

CllIZ3BWgAQRABV.jpg

CllIZ4uXIAAb4Wc.jpg

CllIaKyXIAEyCD-.jpg

Sarah totally controlled the frogs!

CllIeWmWIAA8xIa.jpg

CllIeYZWIAIQ7i5.jpg

CllIeh7WgAEx7WK.jpg

CllIejQWAAAVi3B.jpg

If there is one consistent theme to all these European parks, it's the amazing landscaping!

CllNhnPWAAAnxRW.jpg

CllNhyfWAAAiM6R.jpg

While the group had ERT on Karnan, Kristen opted for ERT on the "bouncy cushion!" lol

CllP6_HWAAIa6VN.jpg

Let's not forget they also had some amazing "slides of death" here too!

CllP1m6XEAAsxIC.jpg

CllP2TOWIAA-Y33.jpg

Spinning raft ride... Didn't get very wet but at least it spun a lot!

CllQIuKWkAEPcP2.jpg

CllQIqwXIAEZx9r.jpg

CllQIquWEAEQ1z8.jpg

CllQIuHXEAAtfWH.jpg

The ropes course is totally serious and insanely hard! We love it!

CllQKOOWIAIIMDZ.jpg

CllQKOoWYAA59-4.jpg

CllQKOpXIAE3wke.jpg

CllQKOrWQAA1fGK.jpg

These amazing German pretzels at the front of the park make for a great snack before heading home.

CllQMGgWAAIune6.jpg

CllQMLaWgAAnT10.jpg

Had a really nice visit to Hansa Park! This remains one of our favorite parks in Europe!

Edited by robbalvey

Same here, it definitely is the most intense ride I've ever ridden! I love love love that first drop, it just feels like it lasts forever! Seems like you guys had a nice day in Hansa-Park! Nice TR's once again! Can't wait to see Kärnan when all of the theming is totally complete.. This is just such a kickass ride, in a kickass park! And it just keeps getting better and better!

Ok, you know the Golden Tickets are a joke when most of these parks have not been nominated or won 'Best Landscaping' or 'Most Beautiful'.

Not that Busch Gardens Williamsburg doesn't do a great job...

I miss so much Hansa Park. I would like to go back one day.

The thing I liked the most about this park is that their rides are not just coaster, but they want to give you kind a sort of "experience", starting from the queue line to the exit (for example the exit of Fluch Von Novgorod was such a pleasant surprise!).

This park has two kick ass roller coasters, and beautiful landscapes. Too bad that is so underrated here in Europe, they really have clever ideas for their rides. Karnan is just pure love <3

Omg! I had such a good time at that park! The new coaster looks amazing!

Also the ropes course is insanely hard but it felt good when you finished it. Those bike pedals at the end were so hard but I made it across!

Robb, do you remember what the waiting times were for Karnan throughout the day?

Last time I was there waits were above 1 hour all day, I'm sort of interested how it is nowadays.

Longest line I saw posted was 35 minutes. But remember, we are also not visiting during a busy season as the European schools are not our for summer break yet.

I'm greatly enjoying your European Trip Report so far! I look forward to seeing more of your photos! I hope to visit Europe and explore the amusement parks there one day! Thanks for sharing these great photos and videos, Robb!

Edited by Johnlloyd

Clo7WwcXEAAUNhP.jpg

Today we are hanging out at Movie Park Germany! I just want to say something real quick about this park - I know it gets a lot of crap from the European coaster and theme park groups, but I have to say this - Yes, they don't have the best collection of roller coasters, but IMO Van Helsing was a GREAT start to turning this park around, I'm hoping the next coaster coming in 2017 will continue that trend, and realistically, if this park gets 1 or 2 more GOOD rides over the next few years, I personally think it's better than a lot of the parks in the USA that are similar in style.

Clo_lCzWEAAM5pR.jpg

Clo_lHNWAAEHjmY.jpg

I'm pretty sure @Movie_Park Germany's stand-up drop tower is in the top ten world's most terrifying rides!

ClpNl9TWgAAfMxD.jpg

ClpNmELXIAACb1Y.jpg

ClpNmPkXIAAiBXm.jpg

ClpNmQDWYAACp3X.jpg

Van Helsing really is a great ride! Super fun and well themed! If this ride was at either of the Universal parks in the US, it would be a stand-out ride at both parks. It's certainly better than most of the "Here, put on some 3-D glasses and let's shake you around a bit" rides. I'd love to see this exact ride comes to the States!

ClpUa29WEAAbdpn.jpg

ClpUa27WEAAojqR.jpg

ClpUa3eWMAANVX8.jpg

ClpUa4oXEAAPoir.jpg

Hanging out in the kids area! (And not being creepy, we actually have kids!)

ClpZAnMWMAA3iJS.jpg

ClpZAn0WEAAZPnu.jpg

Of course we may or may not have had some adults playing around in the kiddie area!

Clpp1lnWkAEGvmD.jpg

Clpp1ljWMAUgtAA.jpg

Clpp1lmWIAAEOg3.jpg

Clpp1ovWgAAhSsJ.jpg

Hey! Look what we found here @Movie_Park Germany!

Clps59WWIAAYnYE.jpg

Clps59PWQAAKklO.jpg

Clps59TWYAAhHKi.jpg

Clps6A7WIAAA_jz.jpg

Yes, we rode! Yes the girls survived!

Clpr4o3WEAAgJ0H.jpg

Kristen was able to ride all the coasters @Movie_Park but Van Helsing was by far her favorite! 10+ times!

ClpvQWIWMAAbMkY.jpg

ClpvQWLWMAAbBdt.jpg

The Speedy Pass worked GREAT @Movie_Park! I love that it's good on so many different rides!

ClpwcAxXIAAd30r.jpg

ClpwcAwWAAE_On-.jpg

ClpwcBQWYAAmoEI.jpg

ClpwcDtXEAAAn3H.jpg

While different than other European parks, @Movie_Park still looks nicer than a lot of similar style US parks.

ClpzzvfWQAAze5p.jpg

ClpzzvkWAAAxa2P.jpg

ClpzzvkWEAA96S_.jpg

Those of you who remember the Son of Beast trains may recognize the trains on Bandit!

Clp2i-NWQAAOrCU.jpg

Check out the first drop on Bandit!

ClqD-b8WMAAAC91.jpg

Mystery River is actually a pretty cool themed Rapids ride! And you don't get that wet!

ClqJSDaWYAEInYk.jpg

ClqJSDdWMAAUdW3.jpg

ClqJSEzWgAA9CdY.jpg

ClqJSEyWMAEjPMD.jpg

We had lights on/lights off ERT on Van Helsing @Movie_Park Germany! Was a huge hit with the group! Great ride!

ClqNv7NXIAARBi5.jpg

ClqNv7dWAAAU0DX.jpg

ClqNv7oWYAEddbp.jpg

ClqNv8ZXIAAu3XP.jpg

Some of the themed elements in @Movie_Park Germany's Van Helsing coaster.

ClqTs3AWEAA8Ixt.jpg

Next year, the entrance of @Movie_Park Germany will look very different with a new coaster behind it!

Seriously, though, let's just break this park down a bit. On the plus side they have:

- A couple of good dark rides (Mystery River, Ice Age, Alien Encounter)

- A good kids area (really, all three of the coasters and the log flume in this area are decent!)

- A really REALLY good drop tower!

- A decent "family" area that has the Disk-O Coaster and a few other flats.

- A good themed coaster (Van Helsing)

What they are missing is one or two more "signature" coasters/attractions. I'm not gonna lie, Bandit is one of the worst woodies I've been on and the SLC is just...well, "not good." But that doesn't mean this park doesn't have a TON of potential, and I really think it does and I look forward to seeing them grow over the years.

Edited by robbalvey

Very nice TR on Movie Park. I've visited the park at least once a year since it's opening in '96 and while it has never been a GREAT park, it really seems like they're finally heading into the right direction with the addition of rides like Van Helsing and Lost Temple (+ the new coaster next year).

Have fun at Phantasialand tomorrow!