Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 269 - Epcot is getting a makeover!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

Postby viking86 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:07 pm

Frozen Ever After looks amazing! The queue line looks great! Love the sauna scene, gives some entertainment in what I expect will be a rather long queue for quite some time. (although I'm sure some of those who became die-hard Maelstrom fans once it was announced that the ride would close would say that a plain wall with some flags on was better).

As for the ride itself, I'm very impressed. The animatronics looks fantastic! I love the Olaf animatronic (and of course the one of Sven with his tongue stuck on the post, very funny). I don't really have anything negative to say about the ride*. The ride is so short that in terms of storytelling, there isn't really much you can do, but for what it is I think it has a nice flow to it.

So yes, a massive improvement over the old Maelstrom ride! Norway approves! =)

*On the old Maelstrom ride you were allowed to use the fastpass line if you were from Norway, even though you didn't have a fastpass. I have a feeling that it won't be possible from now on... :p

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:50 pm

The big change of it, in the re-design of the flume itself, appears to be the relocation of the lift hill.
It used to be right at the beginning of Maelstrom, I remember. Now, they've moved it farther along
the ride's path and it looks (and sounds) to be better positioned, for the "Let It Go" sequence and the
backwards drop that follows.

Looks and sounds great, to me. :mickey:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby viking86 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:01 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:The big change of it, in the re-design of the flume itself, appears to be the relocation of the lift hill.
It used to be right at the beginning of Maelstrom, I remember. Now, they've moved it farther along
the ride's path and it looks (and sounds) to be better positioned, for the "Let It Go" sequence and the

They relocated the loading platform to the old unloading platform, and added some new scenes before the lift. The lifthill itself is in the same place.

Attractions Magazine posted a side-by-side comparison with the old ride. :)

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:04 pm

^ Oh, cool! Didn't realize that, although it obviously looked like the inside queue was completely redone,
and enlarged, to allow more queue space inside. Thanks for posting the side-by-side video. Great to compare, now! :smile:

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:16 pm

viking86 wrote:
Nrthwnd wrote:The big change of it, in the re-design of the flume itself, appears to be the relocation of the lift hill.

They relocated the loading platform to the old unloading platform, and added some new scenes before the lift. The lifthill itself is in the same place.

That's a really cool video. I thought from the initial video the ride seemed longer and they basically made the ride about 1:15 longer without actually changing the track length. I give Disney a lot of credit for being able to pull that off.

Postby Hilltopper39 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:44 pm

They should have just kept that giant polar bear in the same spot, I'd totally believe it if Elsa had a pet polar bear hanging out in her ice castle.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:47 pm

^ Marshmallow might not like that. :wink:
frozenMarshmallow.jpg
Nope, doesn't like that idea at all.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Evan-500 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:01 pm

robbalvey wrote:
viking86 wrote:

That's a really cool video. I thought from the initial video the ride seemed longer and they basically made the ride about 1:15 longer without actually changing the track length. I give Disney a lot of credit for being able to pull that off.

They added a bit of track as well, I believe there is new S-Bend through the old loading area. It really helps with the added time :)

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:06 pm

^ :airtime: :airtimer:
the_more_you_know.gif

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:24 pm

Today I had the chance to check out the brand new Frozen Ever After attraction at Epcot. The successor to Maelstrom and a part of the larger expansion of the Norway pavilion to bring the massive IP into the park, Frozen Ever After presents a new story wrapped in the familiar tunes of the famous film. The ride tells the story of a day of celebration commemorating the events of the film, with the characters singing some of the most notable songs from the film but not in the ways you've previously experienced them.

Imagineers have significantly reworked the theming of this attraction and have added to the queue and ride to accommodate for the extreme demand behind the property as it will inevitably draw significant crowds for many, many years to come. The former entrance station has been removed to allow for additional length to be added to the ride with all entrance and exit flow taking place in Maelstrom's former exit station. The previous post-show theater has been removed entirely for the addition of a huge inside queue filled with incredibly effective lighting and architecture that immerses guests in the courtyards of the kingdom of Arendelle.

Once inside the ride, you will find some of the most impressive, advanced audio animatronics that Disney has ever produced. The animatronic figures are the next evolution of the interior projection technology that already powers the seven dwarfs figures in the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at Magic Kingdom. The ride layout has remained exactly as it was when the ride was Maelstrom (with the exception of the entrance station being converted into standard ride track) but the ride feels significantly longer as there are far fewer corners of the attraction in which nothing is going on. The story carries on throughout the ride and hardly pauses between rooms, as the ride has little time to spare given the space constraints of the pavilion's existing structures.

As you'll see in the photos below, this attraction features some incredible new animatronics, perfect staging and lighting. The music has been re-orchestrated in an way that will surprise the biggest Frozen fans. This isn't simply a rehash of the film or its animated short sequel, but a direct sequel to the previously featured events.

There have been many that claimed that there was no place for Frozen (or animated characters) in the World Showcase at Epcot, but as the Royal Sommerhus and now Frozen Ever After have shown, there is an extremely tasteful, not over-the-top way to integrate Disney stories into the culturally authentic representations of the world's countries. I only hope that future expansions to the World Showcase follow the incredibly successful formula that Frozen Ever After and the Royal Sommerhus have taken in plussing their host pavilion. These additions will surely succeed in drawing record crowds (as today already proved) and Frozen Ever After sets a high bar for future dark ride additions to the Walt Disney World Resort!

DSC07782.JPG
Get used to lines looking like this for the foreseeable future...
DSC07784.JPG
The entrance facade of Maelstrom was reworked for the introduction of Frozen Ever After.
DSC07785.JPG
The ride's cave has been sealed off to ensure a darker ride interior--an incredibly effective decision.
DSC07787.JPG
A look at the ride's marquee...
DSC07791.JPG
A list of warnings for guests to review.
DSC07792.JPG
A subtle nod to Kristoff with Sven holding him up.
DSC07794.JPG
Kristof's office can be seen at the entrance of the interior queue.
DSC07796.JPG
It's all in the detail!
DSC07802.JPG
Neat!
DSC07803.JPG
Impressive stonework!
DSC07805.JPG
The removal of the post show theater has freed up a huge amount of space for the new interior queue.
DSC07808.JPG
The former exit station now serves as the entrance and exit station for Frozen Ever After, allowing for additional track length to be spent towards the ride experience.
DSC07809.JPG
The execution of the new interior queue is nothing short of astounding!
DSC07810.JPG
The forced perspective of the neighboring Arendelle cottages along the queue wall is incredibly effective.
DSC07813.JPG
Woohoo!
DSC07814.JPG
Since I was in the FastPass+ lane I was unable to go in to this section of the queue but it looked to be filled with detail.
DSC07816.JPG
I still can't get over how great this looks!
DSC07819.JPG
Almost time to head in!
DSC07822.JPG
The official Proclamation of the Summer Snow Day holiday that gives cause to Frozen Ever After's depicted festivities.
DSC07823.JPG
Even when loading into the ride vehicles, guests can see neighboring cottages all around.
DSC07825.JPG
The boats from Maelstrom have been refurbished and repurposed for Frozen Ever After. No notable changes have been made to these ride vehicles.
DSC07847.JPG
Olaf is the first character we see in the ride... Watching this animatronic bob along and emote was incredible!
DSC07852.JPG
The trolls looked incredible!
DSC07858.JPG
This baby troll pops up right before you take the journey to the ice palace (aka the lift hill).
DSC07865.JPG
In place of Odin's all seeing eye, you climb the lift hill with the ice palace visible ahead and a giant colorful snowflake glowing to signal your arrival.
DSC07871.JPG
Inside of Elsa's ice palace you will find Olaf skating around gleefully.
DSC07878.JPG
Kristoff is serenading Anna in a very cute moment for the ride.
DSC07880.JPG
Sven happily watches as the two share a moment.
DSC07885.JPG
Elsa's rendition of Let It Go is nuanced to line up with the film, while allowing guests to be right in the middle of the most recognizable sequence from the entire franchise.
DSC07887.JPG
As Elsa sings the ice palace grows around her...
DSC07900.JPG
The glow continues to grow!
DSC07908.JPG
And with a blast of energy the boat pushes off backward....
DSC07913.JPG
The ice palace is huge and thus riders are able to see it continue to grow as you continue backwards.
DSC07917.JPG
Marshmallow and the snowgies ready to send guests back down to the waters of Norway.
DSC07920.JPG
Fireworks over Arendelle!
DSC07923.JPG
Frozen Ever After is an incredible addition to the World Showcase and Epcot in that it will appeal to guests of all ages and be a HUGE draw. The story is unique without straying too far from the source material. I highly recommend that you check out the attraction, even waiting a few hours for this experience if need be. FastPass+is definitely the preferred route to get on this ride as soon as possible, if not rope dropping the park, but if your only shot is to wait in the Standby line, then I recommend taking that step--it will be worth it, especially if you are a Frozen fan like I am. This is an incredible addition to the park, one of the strongest dark rides at Walt Disney World) and a great taster for what is to come with Avatar and Star Wars Land in the coming years!
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:14 am.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!