Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

P. 1996 - Jersey Devil Coaster Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby larrygator » Thu May 26, 2016 2:34 pm

I got here right at 5 and even though school groups are pouring out of the park it is still very busy. 60 minutes for El Toro
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Thu May 26, 2016 6:09 pm

Today The Joker had its media preview briefly before the Clown Prince of Crime decided he was done cooperating for the day. I was only fortunate enough to get one ride on it before it ran into issues with the dampeners being too loose, allowing a car to swing up above the standard zone going into the station and preventing the ride from correcting itself to vertical for disembarking, but that issue should be fixed soon. That one ride (green rail, facing forward) was quite enjoyable and fun with some good G forces in the 6 "inversions" we experienced. It's very similar to Batman at Fiesta Texas which I rode last year, though the fin placement on this one did seem different. I didn't get to ride the purple rail, but it did appear to have different fun placement from the green, and therefore would be a different ride experience, so ride both sides when you visit. As the first free spinning 4D on the East Coast, it's a great addition to the park's already impressive assortment of coasters and will continue to bring both fear and pleasure to all who face the challenge. Onto pics...
image.jpeg
Back at Six Flags Great Adventure, where just the view from the parking lot screams "yes, we have roller coasters!"
image.jpeg
The reason we're here!
image.jpeg
Joker makes his base of operations at the former site of the dolphin stadium
image.jpeg
Before we flip, we slide!
image.jpeg
Some very Jokeresque dessert options
image.jpeg
Oreo chocolate mousse fit for Mr J
image.jpeg
"Love that Joker kettle corn"
image.jpeg
Now that we've stuffed ourselves with food and sweets, let the opening ceremonies begin!
image.jpeg
Hey look kids, it's Joe Piscopo!
image.jpeg
Joe Piscopo is the spokesman for the Boys and Girls Clubs in New Jersey. Some of their shining stars were the first to take on The Joker
image.jpeg
Time to open tbat gift from Mr J
image.jpeg
Normally I shy away from opening any presents from deranged psychopaths, yet alone ones with plungers, but what do I know!
image.jpeg
The purple and green confetti goes flying...
image.jpeg
...And Joker takes on its first riders
image.jpeg
Great weather for flipping in Jersey
image.jpeg
Warning sign and restrictions. No fanny packs or glasses (even with a strap) allowed
image.jpeg
About 3/4 of the way through the queue there is a single
Rider split off. There's also a separate Flashpass entrance that will meet with the regular queue right before the split between the green rail and the purple rail
image.jpeg
A look at Joker's trains
image.jpeg
Very comfy restraints make this 4D sensation even more enjoyable
image.jpeg
Flipping good time!
image.jpeg
By this point everyone should have enough Joker Toxin in them to not stop laughing
image.jpeg
Thanks for having us out today, Joker and Six Flags Great Adventure. Can't wait to come back and ride your new coaster again soon!
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu May 26, 2016 6:30 pm.
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby PixelRush » Thu May 26, 2016 6:57 pm

One concern I have about the branding of this coaster is its lack of consistency. Like you can tell there are two different Joker faces in the logo and the signs. I love the theming of course, but why not stay with just one image? It's the same deal for Joker in SFDK... the logo and the face on the train don't really match. Just sayin'.
I have the rumblies, the rumblies that only AIRTIME can satisfy. :airtimer:
Top Steel: Maverick [Cedar Point] Top Wood: El Toro [Six Flags Great Adventure] Coaster Count: 78
My username is Zergei on the NoLimits Central Forum
Proud member of the Cult of Skank Mountain, where the airtime is to die for.

My other car is a carnival ride

Postby strz » Thu May 26, 2016 7:11 pm

Wow! Media day today for the new "coaster" and there are barely any posts/comments.....

How come this wasn't a "bigger deal" so to say on TPR? Seems like anytime a new ride/coaster opens- it gets highlighted on the home page.....
Last edited by strz on Fri May 27, 2016 7:17 am.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby gp1086 » Thu May 26, 2016 7:22 pm

Why is the single rider line so far through the queue like on Green Lantern? Am I missing something or has SFGA gotten this wrong twice? I'm not as seasoned as many of you on the number of parks I've visited, but never seen it done like this elsewhere.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RyanTPM » Thu May 26, 2016 7:40 pm

Thanks for posting the pictures, The Joker looks really good and i'm certainly glad that they went for this theme rather than Total Mayhem. One other little thing that i quite like is the details on the side of each car, really nice little touch.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby tiagohummel » Fri May 27, 2016 7:47 am

Six Flags' newest coaster shuts down Thursday after riders get stuck
http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2016/05/six_flags_newest_coaster_needs_repairs_shortly_aft.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured

Does anyone have more info about this? Doesn't look like a serious thing, but it's terrible that it happenned on opening day! I also wonder if the coaster will be open today/tomorrow...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri May 27, 2016 7:51 am

PixelRush wrote:One concern I have about the branding of this coaster is its lack of consistency. Like you can tell there are two different Joker faces in the logo and the signs. I love the theming of course, but why not stay with just one image? It's the same deal for Joker in SFDK... the logo and the face on the train don't really match. Just sayin'.

You must be new to this whole "Six Flags" thing. Personally I'm happy there's any "theming" at all.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Fri May 27, 2016 7:54 am

Looks like a great addition. Probably only going to be able to ride it once or twice a visit though. That thing is probably gonna kick my ass.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby PixelRush » Fri May 27, 2016 8:15 am

coasterbill wrote:
PixelRush wrote:One concern I have about the branding of this coaster is its lack of consistency. Like you can tell there are two different Joker faces in the logo and the signs. I love the theming of course, but why not stay with just one image? It's the same deal for Joker in SFDK... the logo and the face on the train don't really match. Just sayin'.

You must be new to this whole "Six Flags" thing. Personally I'm happy there's any "theming" at all.

I know well how Six Flags theming works, and I was happy to see what they did with Wicked Cyclone, but still, the people that oversee these projects should notice the difference... but then again we're talking about Six Flags, where the real slogan is "less money, less fun, Six Flags" :lmao:
I have the rumblies, the rumblies that only AIRTIME can satisfy. :airtimer:
Top Steel: Maverick [Cedar Point] Top Wood: El Toro [Six Flags Great Adventure] Coaster Count: 78
My username is Zergei on the NoLimits Central Forum
Proud member of the Cult of Skank Mountain, where the airtime is to die for.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!