TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Might be going to thE park for the first time this Saturday or Sunday. How will the lines be on a weekend in April? What day is best out of the 2? Flashpass be needed? If so, what type?

You shouldn't bother. You should go to Great Adventure instead.

Might be going to thE park for the first time this Saturday or Sunday. How will the lines be on a weekend in April? What day is best out of the 2? Flashpass be needed? If so, what type?

Allow me to provide a helpful answer. On Saturday, you might need Fast Lane; on Sunday, you most likely won't. I would go on Sunday.

The park will *probably* be less crowded on Sunday. Saturday I'd wait to see if you need a Fast Lane pass or not, it really depends on how long you can tolerate being in line.

I think Kings Dominion is officially the new Six Flags America.

Please not this again...

I hope you're trolling. But I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't.

Look, I know it's disheartening to realize that your home park isn't a giant mega-park like Cedar Point or Kings Island, but it is something you have to accept. I'd be feeling blessed that you even got a giga coaster. KD has lowered in status since then though. I'd say KD is now on the same level as WoF, DP, and VF in terms of expansions.

Kings Dominion has trees, bathrooms and paint. They win by default. Also Kings Dominion is underrated in terms of aesthetics in general. It's a beautiful park. Six Flags America is ugly as sin. The rides are obviously much better at KD too. Both coaster-wise and otherwise.

I haven't been to Kings Dominion yet, but this post doesn't make any sense. Can anyone explain what Kings Dominion has to do with Six Flags America?

That's because it doesn't make much sense. The poster is saying that KD is to Cedar Fair what SFA is to Six Flags--that is, a neglected park because it hasn't received a major new ride (meaning "coaster") for some time.

At least that's how I interpret it.

Edited by cfc

A park that just got a giant frisbee, which is one of the greatest flat rides of all time, and has put a lot of work in the past few seasons to add charm and nice landscaping doesn't sound like a "neglected" park. There is more to a good park than just coasters, flat rides and atmosphere are almost as important in my opinion.

I haven't been to Kings Dominion yet, but this post doesn't make any sense. Can anyone explain what Kings Dominion has to do with Six Flags America?

That's because it doesn't make much sense. The poster is saying that KD is to Cedar Fair what SFA is to Six Flags--that is, a neglected park because it hasn't received a major new ride (meaning "coaster") for some time.

At least that's how I interpret it.

Funny thing is despite the neglect SFA has received new coasters more recently than other Six Flags parks like St.Louis, Great Escape and La Ronde. I mean true, both coasters were hand-me-downs from Great America but they still count as new additions.

And why should coasters be the only new additions that matter anyway? More flats, water park and kid section expansions are just as important in the grand scheme of things.

I don't mean in quality, but in where corporate views the park among their other assets.

Yeah they're still nowhere near comparable. Sure SFA has two (especially crappy) relocated old coasters since Kings Dominion built I-305, but quality over quantity my friend. Cedar Fair poured some good money into WaterWorks WaterCity SoakLand whatever, as well as two major new thrill rides that equal the investment of a small coaster each, and a massive kiddie ride expansion/major park enhancements on top of that. Look at the big picture and then tell me Cedar Fair is "forgetting" Kings Dominion.

I don't mean in quality, but in where corporate views the park among their other assets.

California's Great America, Dorney Park, Valleyfair, Worlds of Fun, Michigan's Adventure, Wildwater Kingdom... Need I say more? You sir are blinded by fanboyism that you can't see good you have it compared to the parks I just listed.

I don't see why anyone would do that, considering that KD is a better park.

It was sarcastic because the OP posted the exact same thing in both threads.

Kings Dominion might be a nicer park (to some people), but Great Adventure almost certainly has the better collection of rides.

Kings Dominion might be a nicer park (to some people), but Great Adventure almost certainly has the better collection of rides.

The rides at Great Adventure didn't make up for the bad atmosphere... Even then the only stand out thing at great adventure is El Toro (well and Kingda Ka, but that's just a gimmick)

The rides at Great Adventure didn't make up for the bad atmosphere... Even then the only stand out thing at great adventure is El Toro (well and Kingda Ka, but that's just a gimmick)

Agree to disagree on atmosphere and rides, but that's what makes it interesting, right?

Agree to disagree on atmosphere and rides, but that's what makes it interesting, right?

Eh, I guess so. At least it isn't Carowinds...

Yeah they're still nowhere near comparable. Sure SFA has two (especially crappy) relocated old coasters since Kings Dominion built I-305, but quality over quantity my friend. Cedar Fair poured some good money into WaterWorks WaterCity SoakLand whatever, as well as two major new thrill rides that equal the investment of a small coaster each, and a massive kiddie ride expansion/major park enhancements on top of that. Look at the big picture and then tell me Cedar Fair is "forgetting" Kings Dominion.

This. While I'm disappointed KD hasn't received a coaster in a long time, I can accept and understand why it hasn't, and I can also appreciate what CF has done for the park. I'd much rather have a good coaster come to us in a couple years than get a crappy one right now.