Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA Discussion Thread)

P. 814: Record-breaking RMC hybrid coaster announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA Discussion Thread)

Postby Pyrozooka0 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:27 pm

Thoughts after my visit:
After seeing how much of the Gwazi area is still Gwazi themed, I somehow doubt the saga of Tampa's finest ass massager is quite over.
Cheetah Hunt, Kumba, Sheikra and Montu might be the best "big 4" coasters at any park.
Scorpion desperately needs another train. It's wait time shouldn't be nearly as long as it is.
RIP Rhino Rally.
Fully on the Twisted Cyclone hype train.
Credit Count: 55 (Latest: Fury 325)
Favorite Steel: F325
Favorite Wood: GASM at SFOG

Postby Themonerd » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:04 pm

^^

It's bizzare how much of Gwazi's remnants are in that area.
If it has :airtime: count me in!
I've created 3 locked threads. I should start using that search function.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:49 pm

Yesterday I had the chance to stop in to Busch Gardens Tampa Bay to check out this year's Busch Gardens Food & Wine Festival, and in the process I was able to see just how good Cobra's Curse is looking as it nears its opening for later this year! The Food & Wine Festival has improved leaps and bounds from last year with tons of new items, several new booths and even the returning dishes being significantly better than I remembered them previously. As for Cobra's Curse, the ride is fully built out at this point but work continues on the ride's station and surrounding areas. The ride stands out in the Egypt section of the park, but also blends in organically with its close calls to existing structures of the land and Montu. The ride is visible from throughout the park and it looks like it could be the sleeper hit of 2016's new coaster list!
image.jpeg
Cobra's Curse has taken its place on the skyline of Busch Gardens Tampa Bay.
image.jpeg
It makes quite a statement from the outside of the park.
image.jpeg
The real reason I came to Busch Gardens Tampa Bay... FOOD!
image.jpeg
The Coconut Shrimp Cigars over a Jicama Slaw with a Horseradish Marmalade were a wonderful start to this year's tastings (and significantly tastier than they were last year)!
image.jpeg
New to this year's menu was the Goat Cheese Polenta Cake. It is a good thing I love goat cheese AND polenta, because this was wonderfully executed!
image.jpeg
Similar to Epcot's setup, you order outside of the event booths and pickup your food with your receipt. This year there are 11 food booths and 16 beverage booths to choose from.
image.jpeg
Busch Gardens uses this even as another opportunity to show just how talented their horticulture department is, with larger than life topiaries like this located throughout the park.
image.jpeg
How about this paparazzi topiary?
image.jpeg
One of the new "food booths" this year was actually hosted in the Garden Gate Cafe...
image.jpeg
The former Hospitality House for Busch Gardens Tampa Bay serves normal food items alongside several special dishes for the Food and Wine Festival.
image.jpeg
Outside of the Garden Gate Cafe is this awesome octopus topiary!
image.jpeg
The Tuna Poke from the Garden Gate Cafe was fantastic!
image.jpeg
A surprise win for the event was the Pheasant Sausage Flatbread.
image.jpeg
A significant portion of the Food and Wine Festival takes place along the path to Gwazi Park, where the events' concert series is also hosted each day of the festival (which is run on weekends only). It is certainly strange walking in the shadow of Gwazi without seeing trains rush by.
image.jpeg
The Pan-Fried Cod Provencal atop Fennel Risotto was nice and light.
image.jpeg
The Bison Slider was served on a brioche bun with cartelized onions, sriracha ketchup and a thick strip of bacon. The combination? YUM!!!
image.jpeg
The Cheese Plate from the Lighter Fare Canteen featured Port Salute, Cabot Cheddar, Bel Paese and Buttermilk Blue Cheese. I could eat tons of that blue cheese without pause if given the chance!
image.jpeg
The Potato and Goat Cheese Tart was a returning dish from last year and it did not disappoint.
image.jpeg
The Roasted Pork Belly was wonderfully cooked and required no knife to cut.
image.jpeg
Cigar City was one of the featured breweries at the Food and Wine Festival, and the Strawberry Shortcake Strawberry Lager caught my eye... It was DELICIOUS!
image.jpeg
The Duck Taco was a solid addition to the year's lineup.
image.jpeg
The Pan-Seared Salmon Cake was one of my favorites from last year's inaugural season and I was thrilled to hear it was returning. This thing was ridiculously tasty!
image.jpeg
The Beef Short Rib had an OK flavor with its Strawberry Wine Habanero BBQ sauce but I found it to be a little less tender than I would expect for short rib.
image.jpeg
The Lobster Ravioli was a hit for our group.
image.jpeg
The only item we wouldn't recommend out of all that we tried was the Buffalo Chicken & Blue Mac & Cheese. It didn't really have a cheese taste--more like blue cheese dressing in which the pasta was tossed, and then drizzled with buffalo sauce and chicken. This was the only item that was sampled that was intentionally not finished.
image.jpeg
The Bacon Mac & Cheese on the other hand was a much dish to be sampled.
image.jpeg
Throughout the event set up, themed shops and games are also available for you to enjoy.
image.jpeg
A look at the main stretch of the event.
image.jpeg
Busch Gardens' sister park SeaWorld was represented at the event with this topiary.
image.jpeg
Alcoholic Frozen Cherry Lemondade? Yes, please!
image.jpeg
Even the topiaries have improved when compared to how they were last year.
image.jpeg
The Green Peppercorn-Seared Hangar Steak had a great spice to it.
image.jpeg
The Bacon Wrapped Prawns were arguably the least Kosher item on the event's menu, but it was worth the sin!
image.jpeg
Founders Brewing Company's Rubaeus caught my eye, and it was well worth the sampling!
image.jpeg
Signs are placed next to each topiary with a list of "ingredients" that make up the art, in case you decide to make one at home.
image.jpeg
Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street?
image.jpeg
The enchanted fountain statue has returned as well, and she has a newer, more open location to host all of those that stop and stare (she had quite the crowd both times I saw her).
image.jpeg
More great topiaries throughout the park!
image.jpeg
Oh right... They have crazy fun rides here too!
image.jpeg
Taking the train throughout the park, you get an up-close look at the progress over at Cobra's Curse.
image.jpeg
That snake is just massive!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The ride interacts heavily with the layout of the train.
image.jpeg
Look at that turn!
image.jpeg
Some of these track maneuvers will make riding a spinning coaster so much more fun.
image.jpeg
The spinning coaster car our front is still in place.
image.jpeg
This is going to be such a fun coaster!
image.jpeg
Cobra's Curse can be seen on the train from as far back at the Edge of Africa section of the park.
image.jpeg
We can't forget about Montu!
image.jpeg
The future entrance of Cobra's Curse is still being worked on.
image.jpeg
This ride looks fantastic!
image.jpeg
The old King Tut's Tomb walkthrough attraction has been repurposed to serve as the entrance to the new ride, as well as to play host to a small display of snakes while queuing for the ride.
image.jpeg
I love how the ride interacts with the normal Busc h G
image.jpeg
Looks great!
image.jpeg
The top of the elevator lift is ready to go...
image.jpeg
And can be seen from anywhere within the Egypt section of the park.
image.jpeg
The ride's lift hill comes very close to Montu's immelman loop and crosses over one of the stone archways of Egypt.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:12 am.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Thanks for this report, Adam!

We really enjoyed doing the Food & Wine last year, although a lot of the food we tried was meh to decent. Glad to hear that the offerings have expanded and that the food quality is better.

And Cobra's Curse is looking sensational...although maybe not as sensational as that Bacon Mac & Cheese! :lover:

Postby Pyrozooka0 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:25 pm

Themonerd wrote:^^

It's bizzare how much of Gwazi's remnants are in that area.

I wonder if an RMC version of it is the next plan after Cobra's Curse...
Fully on the Twisted Cyclone hype train.
Credit Count: 55 (Latest: Fury 325)
Favorite Steel: F325
Favorite Wood: GASM at SFOG

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby eddytheviper » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:27 pm

Well, looks like I need to invest in another tank of gas and a bigger pair of pants. Yum! :p

Great report too by the way!

Postby viking86 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:27 pm

Damn, reading through this report while being hungry was a mistake! So much great looking food, particularly the Bison Slider and the Bacon Mac & Cheese looks soooooo tasty!

Great to also see some new perspectives on Cobra's Curse, really looks like a solid addition to BGT!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby StealthFan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:56 pm

Does anyone know if the giant wheels on top of the lift will spin as the ride goes up the lift? Even if they dont they still look pretty cool.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:10 pm

Great report, I miss this park so much...It is so well kept.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

Postby Vonni » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:07 am

Wow, BGT has changed so much since my last visit (2003). Cobras Curse isn't even located where I thought it was this whole time. I think that's a sign that I really need to get back to Florida and to BGT lol!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!