TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

No pictures, but I was at the park for its 42nd opening day yesterday. I wasn't with a bunch of coaster nerds so we didn't ride a whole lot, but sometimes it's just just as fun to spend time with people at parks than it is to ride as much as possible all day. We were in the park from 11 to 5:30 and rode...

Volcano 1x (40 minute wait because of a rollback two trains before us)

Backlot 1x

Intimidator 305 1x

Flight of Fear 1x

Grizzly 1x

Delirium 1x

Shenandoah Lumber Co 1x

Just some miscellaneous thoughts...

The bring a friend tickets worked nicely, as did the dining plan, but speaking of...

The employees at the Border Cafe are super nice but holy crap I've never seen someone scoop corn so slowly. It took me 25 minutes to get tacos with 3 people in front of me. I'll never complain about free food but if I had to pay $15 for those or the salad I had for lunch Id be a little disheartened. It's what you come to expect with opening day though, so I'll give them some slack and I give them credit because they were saying they don't get a lunch break which really sucks.

Delirium was a fun ride. I prefer the HUSS versions slightly and I'll ride Kennywood's version this summer but it's way better than Shockwave ever was so I'm very happy with this addition.

There was one train on about half the coasters which could've benefitted from two, but the longest wait was for Volcano and Shanandoah Lumber Co. (which I really enjoyed, almost as much as Great Adv's flume). Grizzly needed the second train since we waited 25 minutes with one train running with a station wait (it's a massive station).

The park looked good overall and the way it turns out I'll be back tomorrow. Other than being desperately understaffed I thought it was a nice way to start the season.

Well it looks like it's back to the short cycle. I'm wondering is it possible to have two ride cycles programmed for when the lines get longer they can switch to the shorter cycle?

Perhaps it has different ride programs like the Mondial Top Scans and Splashovers. Unfortunately, due to maintenance costs, Lagoon now only uses cycle #1 on Samurai. Cycle #6 was Awesome!

Rode Flight of Fear today and the launch failed, so our train was stuck at ground level right before the first hill/cobra roll. The ride operators and maintenance crew pushed our train backwards into the station for us to exit.

They let us stay in front of the line once we exited, so I hopped back on and it worked fine. I had to wait for it to test a few cycles.

Edited by Bmanscool

Looks like they've lengthen the ride cycle on Delirium by two full swings!

Lagoon's Mondial Top Scan and Splashover ran a little slow for a week or so to break them in, then ran at full speed. Sounds like this may be the case here, but just extending the Cycle.

If it's anything like Psychlone at Wonderland (same make/model of ride), the cycle will most likely stay short. It's a real shame, but guess it's easier for the park to only run one program. Probably puts less wear and tear on the ride too.

It really makes no sense in my opinion. The park has 3 other rides by the same manufacturer (Mondial) that all run cycles that are 2-3x longer. It's really too bad... The short cycle ruins what would otherwise be an amazing ride.

Never heard of a Flight of Fear rollback. Is this something that happens more often than I think? Should it be a big concern?

This actually wasn't a rollback, the train didn't have enough speed to reach the first hill. We were luckily only there for about 20 minutes and all the lights were turned on.

Never heard of a Flight of Fear rollback. Is this something that happens more often than I think? Should it be a big concern?

This actually wasn't a rollback, the train didn't have enough speed to reach the first hill. We were luckily only there for about 20 minutes and all the lights were turned on.

Could've been worse...

I made my first trip ever to Kings Dominion last Sunday and I can't imagine that I will ever get to have another day like it at this park again. I assumed the park would be slower than usual with it being Easter Sunday, but with the forecasted rain the place was deserted. I got to the park with my brother at opening and went straight to Volcano. After getting rides in the front row and row seven, I figured we had better visit some other coasters before the park got too busy. It turned out that the only reason I waited more than ten minutes for any ride was because operations were extremely slow or because I waited for the front seat. I'm not sure why, but maybe 30 minutes after opening they roped off the last two seats on Volcano.

My ride counts and thoughts:

9x Intimidator - 10/10 - I managed three rides in the front, four in the back and five in row seven. Everything up to the trim before the second airtime hill is just absolutely insane. Each time I rode I was just blown away. This is such an incredible ride and I look forward to many more rides this season.

6x Volcano - 8/10 - The launches were great, as was the hangtime on the first inversion in the back seat, otherwise the final drop was the only part of the ride that really stood out to me. It was still a very fun ride and I look forward to more in the future.

5x Dominator - 9/10 - This is a really great floorless coaster. I love the layout of the first half, and the extra turns you get between elements really gives it an edge over other floorless coasters. The lack of a zero-g roll makes me a little sad though...

3x Flight of Fear 8/10 - This was a good ride, but a little rough. I'd say it's more fun than Rock N Rollercoaster, just not as smooth.

1x Grizzly - 7/10 - This coaster was surprisingly good. The first two drops must have been retracked recently. I was bracing myself for the worst when surprisingly there was little to no rattle on those drops, but the rest of the ride though was pretty rough. The airtime hill into the tunnel was awesome!

1x Rebel Yell - 5/10 - Lots of good airtime, but on each hill I was terrified to reach the bottom. Not the most comfortable ride, but I did ride in the back seat and I'd certainly ride again!

1x Ricochet - 4/10 - Fun little mouse coaster, but not a lot else to offer.

2x Backlot Stunt Coaster - 7/10 - This was a fun little ride. The airtime on the last hill in the back seat was verrrry nice and surprising.

2x Drop Tower - 9/10 - I love drop towers. This one is very tall and does not disappoint! Taking 10 minutes to load 20 passengers was a little frustrating. Then again the ride was a walk on so I really can't complain.

2x Delirium - 8/10 - Definitely a good ride, but of course I wish there were a few more swings at full height.

1x Windseeker - 7/10 - These rides just scare the crap out of me, but they're pretty fun.

1x The Crypt - 7/10 - This ride was surprisingly good. I think the operator gave us a few extra flips!

1x Berserker - 6/10 - I loved Phoenix at Busch Gardens, but I haven't ridden it in a while and Berserker just didn't seem to wow me. I'm not sure if they're the same height or not, but it was still fun.

I've been thinking about how awesome I305 was all week. I cannot wait to go back!

^Great to see you had such a good time at KD!

As for the last row for Volcano, supposedly it gets closed off for rollbacks/weather reasons (do correct me if I'm wrong, somebody. This was what I read sometime ago, dunno if it's current.) Everytime I went last year the last row was closed I believe, but the two times I've been so far the last row was actually open. Heck, It was open the entire time I was there on Wednesday.