TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Ahhhhhh . . . I remember the days when a flag showed up at a park and the first thing people said was "I hope it's a Beemer". Now it's RMC's turn. Let's forget the fact that GCI is rebuilding another coaster in the Cedar fair chain, as well as rebuilt another one in the chain in the past. So why would anyone think rmc?

Ahhhhhh . . . I remember the days when a flag showed up at a park and the first thing people said was "I hope it's a Beemer". Now it's RMC's turn. Let's forget the fact that GCI is rebuilding another coaster in the Cedar fair chain, as well as rebuilt another one in the chain in the past. So why would anyone think rmc?

Hurler is not the same ride as Ghostrider.

How is this a valid argument?

Whoa . . . #Insight lol

Checklist for GCI rebuilding a coaster:

Is it a woodie? Yes

End of discussion.

While it was pretty chilly out, I think everything ended up running by the end of Passholder Day. The information show before the rides opened was nice as well; some little girls beside me got excited when they announced a concert with a star from a Disney Channel show. Delirium was great; it didn't spin to much, and gave some amazing views and even airtime. Eventually, after seeing it testing, we managed to get in on I305's first ride, and plenty more afterwards.

I was surprised as to many people showed up. I expected the place to be completely dead because of the weather. While midways were empty, there was always someone walking by. Lines were great; varying from a station wait to a walk-on; which was probably good for the new employees. The longest wait we had was on the free go-karts.

Best part of the day: Hurler not running

While it was pretty chilly out, I think everything ended up running by the end of Passholder Day.

Chilly? B**ch please. And by the way it turns out Shenendoah Lumber Company had no minimum temperature limit. Can you believe our luck? What a great day at Kings Dominion.

image.thumb.jpg.71a0f23a012953473a688afc41266fa5.jpg

• Haha 1

So, was there any hints about Hurler and the future of coasters there?

As to RMC vs. GCI, from everything I have seen the Thunder Road renovation was more successful. Yes, not the same original builders. I didn't realize TR isn't Topper track though (price was less than $1M according to the park). In-house retracking is also a possibility. The last one according to Wikipedia was 10 years ago and surely was just partial. I've never been able to notice any improvement from any of their work, except that it wasn't worse in 2008 than 2003 (I didn't go in the time between).

Good Preview Day. Rode Delirium and it was mostly fun but I started feeling a bit "green" at the end. I don't know if I'll be riding again. While "pain and misery" may have been previously at this location, that was only at moment of impact. I'm not sure I'm yet recovered from Delirium and felt like I was going to throw up on Dominator 2 hours later. Maybe I'm just getting too old... but waitaminute I wasn't complaining before, you younguns were.

If GCI can redesign sections of existing woodies (see Boulder Dash and The Legend), I don't see why they couldn't redesign Hurler's entire layout and add more hills, high turnarounds, or other new elements using Hurler's existing footprint. It could be potentially almost as marketable as an RMC conversion if done right.

Just throwing out other options.

My personal opinion, Delirium is a great addition to the park and I love frisbee rides, however Carowinds is my home park and if we get one

I'd prefer Zamperla simply because it revolves counter clockwise and clockwise during the cycle. I do love the light package on the seats tho!!

Edited by pproteinc

I'm a first time passholder... To pick up the bring a friend discount tickets on opening weekend you can purchase them at the park, correct? That's how it's done at SF parks, but I haven't had Kings Dominion passes before.

For those wondering, March 25-27 Kings Dominion is offering $27 tickets to passholders.

Delirium looks like a nice ride. It does not look as intense as other pendulum rides (KMG) which will suit the park well! Also it is good how they have chosen Mondial, I have never ridden one of their rides, but they normally look good.

I found Delerium to be a great ride (as all frisbees are) and about middle-of-the road in their category. It's better than an old school Huss Frisbee or something like Revolution at Dorney (which I believe is a fireball running a mediocre program) and a little below large Huss Rides like it's namesake at Kings Island or Maxair.

My personal opinion, Delirium is a great addition to the park and I love frisbee rides, however Carowinds is my home park and if we get one if prefer Zamperla simply because it revolves counter clockwise and clockwise during the cycle. I do love the light package on the seats tho!!

The Zamperla Giant Discovery is a far superior ride. They don't even feel like the same type of ride (considering visually you would think the experience is essentially the same). I probably won't get back to KD this season, but I want to get back to SFOT just because they are adding a giant discovery.

I would love to see Carowinds get one as they are my favorite flat along with a Mondial Top Scan, which Carowinds is getting! That would be a great one two punch flat line up.

BTW, Delirium's short ride cycle was just as right as possible. If it could get up to full swing and back down even quicker it would be fine by me. I saw a test run where it didn't rotate but it hit max. about 10 times...

Watch this video by In The Loop. She explains exactly what is happening with Hurler. Start at 1:15 for herler part. It's not getting torn down, it's either just getting Ghostrider treatment or maybe a RMC first for the chain to be the test park.

Well not very specific but at least it's official. Thanks! Sounds to me like an in-house rehab.

My personal opinion, Delirium is a great addition to the park and I love frisbee rides, however Carowinds is my home park and if we get one if prefer Zamperla simply because it revolves counter clockwise and clockwise during the cycle. I do love the light package on the seats tho!!

The Zamperla Giant Discovery is a far superior ride. They don't even feel like the same type of ride (considering visually you would think the experience is essentially the same). I probably won't get back to KD this season, but I want to get back to SFOT just because they are adding a giant discovery.

I would love to see Carowinds get one as they are my favorite flat along with a Mondial Top Scan, which Carowinds is getting! That would be a great one two punch flat line up.

Sir you are alright with me. I've ridden the Huss versions at Cedar Point and Kings Island and the Mondial at Canada's Wonderland. When I got to experience Black Widow at Kennywood, I instantly fell in love and kicked the others to the curb. I too will be making a trip to SFoT to ride Riddler's Revenge. I hope SFoG gets one as well. That will bring a Zamperla a mere 3.5 hr away.