TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I couldn't believe that the line was only a 2 train wait last July. And then we rode it and found out why.

I believe that the KD hurler, and the Carowinds hurler are replicas(correct me if I am wrong). We hit both parks in a trip last summer and they were both horrible rides, but the Carowinds version was somewhat tolerable.

Now that I think about it more, I think that thunder run at Kentucky Kingdom may also be a clone or very similar.

I couldn't believe that the line was only a 2 train wait last July. And then we rode it and found out why.

I believe that the KD hurler, and the Carowinds hurler are replicas(correct me if I am wrong). We hit both parks in a trip last summer and they were both horrible rides, but the Carowinds version was somewhat tolerable.

Now that I think about it more, I think that thunder run at Kentucky Kingdom may also be a clone or very similar.

Yes, I believe the two Hurlers are the same. But Thunder Run is not a clone, but it is a very similar layout. Except Thunder Run seems to be pretty well-liked in a lot of reviews. Probably because it was recently restored when Kentucky Kingdom opened, and it's not trimmed to death, so it really keeps its speed throughout the whole ride. I think I would actually want to ride it, unlike the slow, rough Hurlers.

Hurler isn't that bad, it's just not that good either. Seriously people how many times do I have to tell you about the 2 bench PTC trick? Lol

Row 1: Lean Forward and stay off the seat back. It makes almost every 2 bench PTC enjoyable. Even rides like Mean Streak and Wild Beast.

^^-- Oh yeah.

I certainly hope that the GP notices that Hurler isn't a good ride now. It's got a huge honkin' trim brake at the bottom of the first drop!!!!! ... ! ... the amazing thing is it's rougher now (last year) than before they put the brake on. As to the layout, first drop straight into a curve, low to the ground with high average speed, emphasis on fast curves and small hops ... where have I seen that before?

I'm planning on heading down to the park on Sunday for Passholder Day unless the park says otherwise. Anyone else planning on braving the weather?

Probably. We're planning on going to BGW tomorrow and we'll probably stop at KD for a little bit on the way back... at least to take a spin on Dominator, Flight of Fear, Volcano and I305 if they're running. Also you can never rule out a pit stop at Drop Tower, Avalanche or Shenandoah Lumber Company if it's open. And by that I mean if Shenandoah Lumber Company is running you would need an army to stop us from riding it.

We'll have to drive back to New York, possibly in a foot of snow. If that's the case then damn right I'd like to ride a Log Flume and drive in a blizzard on the same day, just because life's too short not to do sh*t like that

I don't think I've ever heard somebody compare Hurler to Intimidator 305

I305 is bigger than Hurler.

Now you've seen them compared a second time. I was going to put a number in there but someone would probably tell me it's wrong or I've used drop height not total height etc.

Yes, I believe the two Hurlers are the same. But Thunder Run is not a clone, but it is a very similar layout. Except Thunder Run seems to be pretty well-liked in a lot of reviews. Probably because it was recently restored when Kentucky Kingdom opened, and it's not trimmed to death, so it really keeps its speed throughout the whole ride. I think I would actually want to ride it, unlike the slow, rough Hurlers.

Thunder Run was built by a different company so that speaks volumes. It's also 4 years older.

Evidently the park confirmed today that Hurler would be closed this season "for maintenance".

I sincerely hope this involves RMC and not another Ghostrider style project.

Maybe when it reopens it won't break two of my ribs like it did during the New Hotness trip back in 2012

Hurler isn't that bad, it's just not that good either. Seriously people how many times do I have to tell you about the 2 bench PTC trick? Lol

Row 1: Lean Forward and stay off the seat back. It makes almost every 2 bench PTC enjoyable. Even rides like Mean Streak and Wild Beast.

I do follow that rule (when lines aren't insane or I have Fast Lane)...and Hurler still sucked.

I think the one at Carowinds might be a smidge better because they did track work on it last year, didn't they?

I can easily tolerate Mean Streak in the front seat and actually think it's kind of fun in the front seat - especially at night. We didn't get to ride Wild Beast in the front because we didn't want to wait for the long line...and believe me, we paid for it dearly.

It definitely only hits its maximum height for one swing - is that how Kings Island and Cedar Point run theirs? I always felt like MaxAir had a really long cycle.

Canada's Wonderland's version only hits max angle twice....and that was when I was the park two years ago. Wouldn't surprise me if its down to one by now.

In my opinion, you should have to ride any coaster any special way to enjoy it. You should be able to just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.

That would be nice. However, I don't think it's possible to build a wood coaster using PTC trains where some seats are more comfortable than others, or one that is intense without the wheel seats being somewhat rough (at least with age and assuming non-RMC traditional wood). And coasters that were run with PTC trains before switching to Millenium Flyers (single-row cars) have no seat positions that provide any relief from that roughness, although better on average and reducing track wear.

If you're visiting somewhere and a coaster isn't special, it probably isn't worth "learning" to ride, but at your home park it can be very worthwhile, IF the coaster has potential to be fun, which IMO Hurler was through 2009, might would have been a couple more years if it weren't for the brake, and will need serious work to ever be again. They've done that much work on Rebel Yell since 2008, although soon they'll need to start over because it's getting rough again... I've sworn off rides at KD due to roughness etc., only to learn to ride them later and continuing to ride them regularly thereafter.

I'm wondering where the info about Hurler came from ... although all should be answered within a few days.

Re: Delirium, I hope they keep the short cycle until I can try it.