Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 275: Halloween Horror Nights 2019 scare zones revealed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby michaellynn4 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:49 am

This is exciting for me, too. TWD isn't exactly a "Sopranos" or "Breaking Bad"-level show, but I find it very enjoyable, especially its recent seasons. I'm interested to see how they do this walk through.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:21 am

DBJ wrote:I am hopeful that since it is new construction, they can take the time to deliver a much more interesting version of the Walking Dead maze than last year's HHN. What is the location? Next to Transformers?

Location has not been officially announced, but I imagine if they want to open it by summer it is not the site next to Transformers.

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:49 am

PCW_Nut wrote:Also, now that this will be a year round thing that means you won't see them do a stand alone maze as well during HHN so now those people who whine and moan about that can be satisfied.

You mean this will (most likely) be included in the HHN haunt list so they can cut another haunt off the event. Maybe they'll repeat one or two haunts again just like last year, leaving us with two, maybe three new ideas if we're lucky, all while increasing the event price again and still no return of VIP.

They may surprise me but after last year's deliberate price-gouge compared to years past, I'm not holding my breath.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby Top Thrill Dragster » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:58 am

For those wondering were this attraction will be located, It will be located in the Upper-Lot on Bakers Street (London area). The entrance will be right next to the newly opened Starbucks and across from Universal Plaza.

The attraction entrance will pretty much be in the same location as the old House of Horrors exit.
Apollos Chariot #1!

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:58 pm

While The Walking Dead isn't my cup of tea, this will be a hit with the general public and draw even more guests into the park. And having a permanent haunted house for Horror Nights again will certainly allow the budget for the rest of the event to be stretched between the other five mazes/houses that have to be made new each year.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:30 pm

KBrylczyk wrote:
PCW_Nut wrote:Also, now that this will be a year round thing that means you won't see them do a stand alone maze as well during HHN so now those people who whine and moan about that can be satisfied.

You mean this will (most likely) be included in the HHN haunt list so they can cut another haunt off the event. Maybe they'll repeat one or two haunts again just like last year, leaving us with two, maybe three new ideas if we're lucky, all while increasing the event price again and still no return of VIP.

They may surprise me but after last year's deliberate price-gouge compared to years past, I'm not holding my breath.

They had 7 mazes the last time House of Horrors was able to be used, so hopefully that is the case again. John did not answer the question on twitter when directly asked how many mazes there will be, so who knows. He's referenced mazes up to #5 so far when giving hints. John, however, did say on twitter that "there are no literal repeats this year, no "back by popular demand."

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:04 pm

Here is the "official" announcement for the new Walking Dead attraction.

03-14-16 Walking Dead USH.jpg

Universal Studios Hollywood Takes on the Zombie Apocalypse
Announcing a Permanent Walk-Through Attraction Based on AMC’s Award-Winning Series, “The Walking Dead,”
Opening Summer 2016

Intense, All-New State-of-the-Art Theme Park Addition Continues Destination’s Ongoing Revitalization

Universal City, California, March 14, 2016 – Universal Studios Hollywood brings the most popular show in cable television history to life in Summer 2016 when AMC’s Golden Globe award-nominated television series, The Walking Dead, sets up permanent residency at The Entertainment Capital of L.A. in an all-new immersive, cutting-edge attraction.

Universal Studios Hollywood has worked collaboratively with AMC’s “The Walking Dead” for years as a signature “Halloween Horror Nights” maze. This newly enhanced venture will take the highly sought-after experience from a seasonal, limited time offering to an authentic 365 day opportunity, raising the bar for themed walk-through attractions. For a look at what to expect when the attraction opens this summer, please click here.

To further elevate the authenticity of this new attraction, Universal Studios Hollywood is partnering with “The Walking Dead’s” creative team, including visionary executive producer and director, Greg Nicotero and his special effects company, KNB Efx. Greg’s team, responsible for masterfully creating the show’s realistic decaying walkers, will construct prosthetics, utilize original molds and painstakingly apply paint and detailing to the attraction walkers. The integral involvement of the creative team will not only inspire the emotional connection fans experience, it will be among the attraction’s key distinguishing characteristics that will define it as a living version of the show.

“The Walking Dead” attraction will create a no-holds-barred experience that significantly intensifies any other iteration previously developed within the theme park. Coupled with authentic walker make-up effects, sophisticated animatronic walkers, substantially more detailed set design and costuming, and highly recognizable props replicated from the series, the attraction will deliver an uncompromised realistic environment that brings guests even further into the most watched show in cable television history.

“’The Walking Dead’ is a phenomenon that has successfully and consistently affected the psyche of viewers on a global basis, since its debut,” said Larry Kurzweil, President of Universal Studios Hollywood. “We’re taking its intensity to the next level by collaborating with the show’s award-winning production team to create an authentic living representation of the series that can only be experienced at Universal Studios Hollywood.”

“We’re so grateful for our longstanding partnership with the talented team at Universal Studios Hollywood. We've shared a successful three-year partnership at Halloween Horror Nights and now this permanent 'The Walking Dead' walk- through attraction takes the relationship and the fan experience to the next level," said Charlie Collier, President of AMC and SundanceTV. “Along with our great partners at Universal, it means a great deal to us to continue entertaining -- and frightening -- passionate, loyal fans of 'The Walking Dead' for years to come."

The “The Walking Dead” attraction will be located within an entirely new, custom built structure, situated within an expansive building complex just inside the theme park’s main entry.

The past five years have been a remarkable time for Universal Studios Hollywood as the destination embarked on an unprecedented revitalization that has substantially altered over 75 percent of its familiar footprint to effectively characterize it as an entirely new theme park experience. The introduction of the all-new “The Walking Dead” attraction continues the theme park’s unparalleled investment in an ambitious epic transformation.

AMC’s “The Walking Dead” depicts the story of survivors in a post-apocalyptic world overrun by hordes of terrifying flesh-eating walkers. It is the #1 show on television among adults 18-49 for the last four years and in its sixth season, the most highly-rated show in cable television history.

More information is available at www.UniversalStudiosHollywood.com. Like Universal Studios Hollywood on Facebook and follow @UniStudios on Instagram and Twitter. Due to the intense nature of this experience, the attraction is not recommended for guests under the age of 13.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby SixFlagsAstroworld » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:28 am

This is gonna be awesome! I love that show
Coaster Count: 108
Check out my latest project: Six Flags Cypress Adventures
HARD ROCK PARK Coming to Chaos Crafter 2019!!

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby DBJ » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:33 am

That is some very promising new info! Thanks!

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby Bubba » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:18 am

KBrylczyk wrote:

I really think last year was an unusual year which many have to consider.
We knew Walking Dead was going no where, and neither was AVP due to it's huge budget. We technically only lost House of Horrors as the 3rd maze in the backlot was moved to the lower lot. With Insidious & Purge having a new movie, I wasn't surprised they came back either. This is the End was the unexpected bad decision so no pass on that one. It really was a year where repeats or similar material was becoming popular again. I got the most scares from Crimson but that movie wasn't out so they hype wasn't there.

This year I know TWD will have it's own area and AVP is gone, doubt Crimson, Insidious, or TITE or coming back, so we have quite a bit of potential. You could be right though as I remember the area TWD took place last year is rumored for a new dark ride. If they don't add another maze back on the backlot or elsewhere it will be disappointing! There is quite a bit of material for horror this year. I honestly hope they do AshvsEvilDead as that's rumored for another season and they like to reuse material.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!